5.0 out of 5 stars Anitra Frazier saved my cat's life.
12 years ago, when my Pywacket became diabetic, doctors were prescribing so-called high fiber dry food -- not much different than the food that was causing the epidemic of diabetes in the first place.

Published on November 25, 2008 by Sherry

1.0 out of 5 stars Contains False Info about FIV!
Published 12 months ago by Lisa Webber

5.0 out of 5 stars Anitra Frazier saved my cat's life., November 25, 2008

After reading Anitra's last book, I was talking to one of the leading experts in feline diabetes who offered up one simple line. "I have to agree with her on one very basic point! Cats are carnivores."

That may sound obvious now, but it was the first moment I realized that my poor sick kitty didn't need the meat flavored cereal that that same expert was prescribing. My cat needed meat, and lots of it!!

Pywacket lived well with diabetes for six years with fewer vet visits than ever. His pre-diabetes asthma was mysteriously cured, and he died of old age at 19.5. Now Anitra has updated her book and I was first in line.

She has already answered questions I spent hours on the internet trying to find, especially what if anything to use to supplement a cat's diet. I do admit that I am not up to feeding raw food as Anitra has long suggested. I have 2 little kids at home, and even a small risk is too much. Still, following Anitra's basic recommendations using high quality wet foods and adding fresh chicken, I have seen my new cats become little fluff bunnies, long haired cats with NO matts ever!

Anitra Frazier understands cats from the slow "I love you blink" to diet, to what it is like to live with these amazing creatures. for my 2 new cats, the latest edition of her wonderful book will stand as my first reference for a long time. Buy it. Study it! You will save thousands in vet bills and for the first time perhaps, truly understand your amazing animals.

Thank you Anitra! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Purchased Only for the Diet Section, June 24, 2009
I didn't buy this book from Amazon but from B&N. I sat in the store skimming the Diet Section after I found out my cat was almost a full blown diabetic. Both my cats were eating the Vet-Prescribed (Hill's) Diet Z/D. I was horrified that I let my cat get this way by listening to my vet.

The book is very easy to read and understand and it causes a lightbulb to go off in your head. I recommend this book to anyone who is dead-set on Hard Food. I even know a couple of people like this that I plan on lending the book to so they can be well informed before continuing a Hard Food regimen.

Besides advising a Raw Food Diet the Author also gives advice for people who don't want to go to a Raw Food diet which includes wet food and supplements. The supplements are easily explained and the book tells you exactly what to get and how much, which is something I could never find on the internet.

I have since switched my cats immediately to Blue Buffalo, a Holistic brand of wet food, I do plan on going all the way to Raw but because my cats are brainwashed from the chemicals and flavors of Hard Food, it'll be a slow process.

This book has given me the confidence to pay attention to nature and to go with my gut feeling instead of taking Food-Advice from my vets who endorse Hard Food until your cat gets sick then say "They should really be on all wet, but not Raw because it's dangerous due to disease." I'll trust my vet with everything else except food.

*UPDATE* 11/28/09 - Had book for about 5 months.

This book is a dictionary on how to help your cat naturally. I've used home-made saline solution for my cat, and I later tried it on myself. I've even made the home made chicken broth recipe for when my cat got diarrhea. The only downside of the book is that it doesn't give you a "What if the cat doesn't like ___" option. When I made the recipe for chicken broth to help calm and soothe my cat's digestive system the book said the cat would just lap up the broth because it was so good. I put the bowl down and my cat turned his nose up at it! So what do you do when the cat hates it? That's the one thing I realize I don't like about the book, the author assumes that cat will love whatever you give it. I still think the book is worth buying and is still worthy of 5 Stars. I've referenced it so many times and now I go to the book before I call my vet. I strongly recommend this book for any cat companion!

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Manual for a purrr'fect cat(s), April 21, 2011
The shelter rec this book when we adopted our cat who was appox 8 mo old, and I immediately gathered all the ingredients to make the homemade food. I was fortunate that I was living in Denver and had access to Mavrick Beef (free ranged) and excellent health food stores to make the Vita Mix. I made large batches of it and froze it in snack size baggies (one baggie equaled a day's worth of food = see my recipe below.

We adopted her in February of 1996 and she is still with us 16 years later.

Our cat (She Who Must Be Obeyed) had minor health issues throughout her life. She needed medical attention only twice and we took her for her yearly check-ups and shots on a regular basis. She is in fantastic health and has weathered cross country moves numerous times (we're military). Honestly, I feel that the diet has given her the longevity she has, coupled with keeping her indoors and keeping her safe when venturing outside (deck, closed in porch, fenced backyard).

We had numerous visitors who were allergic to cats and they had no problem staying with us in our home. As indicated in the book, people are allergic to the dander that cats produce, not the actual hair. Good food, vitamins (Vita Mix), and safety keeps that dander down to a minimum.

We will be moving overseas in a few months and her vet has given the okay for her to make that journey.

Coco's Slop
1 lb of 85% Beef (hamburger, free ranged)
1 lg sweet potato
1 lg bunch of broccoli
1 c of Vita Mix (premade and kept in fridge or store version)

In a large pot, add approx 2 quarts of cold water. Peel and cut sweet potatoes in large chunks = add to pot. Cut the stem off the broccoli and cut into chunks = add to water. Cut off the small stems from the broccoli and add to water (you will add the florets later).

Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the broccoli florets and continue to simmer for another 10 to 15 minutes or until the potatoes are done. Turn off heat and allow the mix to cool.

When the mix has cooled, set aside approx 2 cups of liquid. Mash the veggies into the liquid = use a blender, old fashion masher or stick blender. Add the beef = use a masher (this part can get messy). Add the Vita Mix mixture. If the mixture is too thick, add some of the reserved liquid. It should have the consistency of spaghetti sauce.

Put approx 3/4 cup into a small snack baggie. Seal and lay flat on a cookie sheet (that will fit in your freezer). Continue until the food is gone. Make sure the bags are neat and lined up in rows - the seal/top of the baggie sticking up. If you lay the baggies flat w/the seam down, the juice leaks out and makes the baggies stick together. Freeze overnight. You can take the cookie sheet away and store food in a large ret. container.

Defrost one baggie in a dish/container overnight in the fridge - they do leak at the seam. Feed your cat an adequate amount = usually 1/2 or 1/3 of the bag = twice a day.

You must keep the food frozen until ready to use. Once the food is defrosted, you must use it within a day. Keep the baggie of food in the fridge until it's gone. Once the cat has eaten take away the dish and clean.

I use sturdy plastic plates for my cat's food. I throw away the plate when she's done eating. Sometimes I use saucers for her food. I have never used a small bowl or "cat" dish = our cat has long whiskers and hates sticking her nose into something confining.

I keep her food frozen and snap the food in the baggie in 1/3. I defrost a small portion in the microwave. Our cat doesn't like the food too cold nor too hot. Using the microwave bothers me, but she's gotten picky about the temp in her old age. At this point in her life, I want to comfort her as much as possible.

I make large batches = double the recipe. I have a separate freezer, so I have lots of room to store it.

If I'm making hamburger, meatloaf or meatballs our cat will run over and beg for a small bite of raw meat. Once I couldn't find free range beef and used the store brand, she refused to eat it and I threw away a month's worth of food. She couldn't smell the beef. crazy! Since that day, I try not to feed regular beef to my family - if the cat won't eat it, it must be awful. She does like Angus beef.

Anytime I make sweet potatoes or broccoli, she'll come running and starts rubbing my legs. She knows the smell and loves, loVES, LOVES freshly made food.

Now I buy Halo's Vita Mix. I'm not in the mood to buy and store the Vita Mix. Yes, it's wayyyy more expensive to buy it, but I got kids and a house to run.

Our cat is a cherished member of our family. We feed her the best food possible. She, in turn, has given us wonderful companionship. I hope you find this helpful.

1.0 out of 5 stars Contains False Info about FIV!, January 11, 2014
I was going to buy this book at Barnes and Noble today but after reading about her take on FIV...I decided I will not purchase a book which includes incorrect information. The author needs to get her facts straight and revise this section. FIV and FelV are NOT transmitted the same way and they are completely different diseases! FIV is NOT a death sentence. FIV is very difficult to be transmitted from cat to cat; through intercourse, (rarely) during pregnancy, and most commonly through a deep bite. The bite, however, has to be deep enough in order for the virus to enter the bloodstream. This type of bite is rare and usually occurs among stray unfixed males who have to fight for territory, food, etc. A fixed cat being cared for usually will not fight in this manner as they will not need to. Furthermore, it is very possible for FIV cats to live just as long as any other cat and many times without showing symptoms. AND FIV+ cats CAN live with cats who are negative as long as no cat in the household is overly aggressive. How do I know this? Not only have I done extensive research on FIV, but I also have two FIV+ cats living with negatives and they have lived together for years. They share the same dishes, litter, and groom one another. I am also fostering a FIV cat that is no longer separated from the others. Both my FIV cats are seniors and remain very healthy. I have not had any problems with them. My foster kitty is about 3-4 yrs old and very healthy; I have had no problems with her either. More FIV cats die from being euthanized than from the disease itself simply because of the unnecessary stigma attached to this disease...and people like this author writing nonsense. Get your facts straight before writing a book...you're going to get cats killed!

5.0 out of 5 stars I've worked with the author for my own cat., February 4, 2011
Anitra Frazier knows her kitties! When I lived in NYC I got to work with her for the health of my adopted strays. She, through her book, her personal hands on with my one kitty at her home, (she taught me how to properly bathe my male kitten ever so lovingly who was covered with ringworm, which is a fungus, which he caught from my 6 week old kitten who was carrying it but showed no signs of it). She opened my eyes to so many wonderful things about how cats behave that I never knew. For example, that cats don't go outside of the litter box because they are angry or for spite. No, it's because they are such clean little critters that they cannot stand to place themselves in a stinky litter box! Keep that litter box clean like it's supposed to be, and see what happens. And also they do not like the perfumed or scented litters. Their sense of smell is many more times sensitive to odors than us humans! Cats do not do things out of spite.. they aren't human and don't think, they just react to things.

There is a wealth of knowledge in this book and I wish every single soul on this earth who has anything to do with cats, from vets to groomers and all cat owners could have this book. You'll be doing both your kitties and yourself a lot of good by reading it, and then implementing what you learn.

The cat that Anitra helped me with, and the younger one passed away a couple of years ago. They both lived to be about 18 yrs. old. I miss them still. I thought I could never get another one because of the grief I felt.. they were with me their whole lives! But then we moved to another state, and one day as we were out looking for a house to buy, a little bundle of orange Tabby long haired fluff came bounding up to me. He was so dirty his fur was gray with grime. He was infested with fleas and had worms. Well, I took him in. He's one happy camper now, and so am I. I wish there weren't so many strays.. it's sad that most people seem to think that they are like wild animals and can survive outside on their own, but they are not wild, they are domesticated animals and like dogs, cannot live without the intervention of humans. Someone was feeding this little kitty. A man from the house next door to the one we were looking at told me to take him, he belonged to no one, and that he feeds him. God bless all the people out there who find it in their hearts to feed the starving cats, and take them in to their hearts and their homes. I wish more did.

3.0 out of 5 stars Some good information but a lot of New Age stuff, April 6, 2013
This book is okay, but that there is a large amount of New Age stuff in it. For example, the author suggests that if you go away on vacation that you should mentally picture the sun rising and setting that many times so the cat can knows how long you'll be gone. Fringe ideas like that aren't very useful to people like me.

However, the author does seem to know a lot about cats and to really care about them, and she does tell a couple of moving stories of kittens being rescued and such, and there is plenty of practical advice.

I'd say about 50% of the book is useful, so I don't regret my purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Natural but far from realistic . . ., April 12, 2013
This oversized volume is chock full of helpful information yet it is also littered with dubious advice that doesn't stand up to reality.

Ms. Frazier must exist in a charmed wonderland of compliant kitties who are eager to surrender their open mouths to pills, syringes, and oral hygeine. In the real world, the average cat will react defensively when its mouth is invaded, no matter how nicely you "ask permission." In fact, my vast experience with cats has shown me that the minute I start bargaining or explaining my actions to them, they sense that I'm about to meddle with their personal space and they make a quick exit to the nearest hiding place.

Also, the author's suggestion to find a holistic veterinarian or one who will work via phone consult with a standard vet is not realistic. In the San Francisco Bay Area holistic vets' prices are prohibitive, especially for the multi-cat owner. And western-medicine oriented vets are very rarely accomodating to networking with outside sources whose views on nutrition and healthcare are at odds with their own.

I also question the author's suggestion for allowing/encouraging tomato products for cats. Cats have a natural aversion to tomato products. A for a good reason: they are night shades, related to the lily and also eggplant, which cats will run from.

The book, however, has many nuggets of valuable information, especially the argument against dry food and free-feeding. In my love-hate relationship with this 500+ page manual, I must say that in the final assessment it has enough good advice to earn a permanent place on my bookshelf.
And I'm not asking my cats for their permission either!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Book for Cat Owners, June 4, 2011
Tami (North Dakota) - See all my reviews
This book is worth buying just for the dietary information alone. I first bought this book waaaay back in 1989. At the time I had 2 3-yr-old cats who were apparently healthy and happy. When I switched them from dry cat food to the twice-daily homemade diet with supplement, there was no hesitation from them and they took to it immediately. While it seems like a lot of hassle to feed cats this way, after about a week of practice it was truly as easy as opening a can, and so much better for them. Get yourself a small food chopper/processor, and make up the supplement in advance, and it is just a matter of minutes to make the food every day. You get used to the proportions and it just becomes automatic.

The results were almost immediate. You will notice the difference in a cat's coat first, and it is stunning to see the change. Lustrous, shiny, and "clean"-feeling and -smelling. I didn't know it could change so much. And it wasn't like their coats looked unhealthy before, it was that the change was so MUCH better it was astounding.

Their temperaments changed more subtly, they were always easy-going cats but they became more relaxed, more loving and demonstrative.

My cats lived loooong - one lived to age 19, the other to 20. I highly recommend this book to ANYONE who owns a cat.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful reference, December 15, 2008
Loves to Match (Southern California) - See all my reviews
I have an earlier version of The Natural Cat and have consulted it so many times when I have health or diet concerns for my cats. It has helpful advice on so many different topics -- from nutrition, to diarhea, coat to nails. I highly recommend this book for any pet owner who is looking for alternatives to always running to the vet or giving medicine.

5.0 out of 5 stars K. Kuhn, April 21, 2009
K. Kuhn (San Rafael, CA) - See all my reviews
The Natural Cat is the best feline guidance available. I have been using Anitra's book for three decades, and still refer to it. The section on pilling alone is worth the price of the book. Pilling was always a traumatic experience under the best of circumstances. After following Anitra's instructions with great success (the first time!) my cat/s and I never looked back. This is but one positive example of many.

I often give this book as a gift, evoking applause and gratitude from humans and their beloved cats every time. Everyone who has or loves cats will want to own this book. It is a must for first time feline caregivers.

The Natural Cat
The Natural Cat by Anitra Frazier (Hardcover - May 1981)
Used & New from: $1.70