5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book for all women
With over 25 years of experience using bio-identical hormones in his practice, Dr. Uzzi Reiss has published a outstanding plan to help women regain their natural power through the individualized use of hormones, diet, exercise, supplements, and mind-body techniques. The book was co-written with his daughter Yfat Reiss Gendell, who is an author in her own right...
Published on November 22, 2007 by Robert Sager

2.0 out of 5 stars Not impressed
Published on October 3, 2009 by kendee

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book for all women, November 22, 2007

For some years I have recommended his earlier book, Natural Hormone Balance, to all my female patients using bio-identical hormones to support their estrogen, progesterone, DHEA and testosterone levels. His new book will now become my standard recommendation, because it offers a more comprehensive approach to optimizing all hormone levels for women. The book is organized into four parts. Part I deals with diet, exercise and lifestyle issues. Part II is everything you need to know about bioidentical hormones from symptom evaluation and testing to how to take hormones. Part III adds a very important dimension about brain chemistry issues with extensive information about neurotransmitters, which are affected by your hormone levels. Part Four is about living disease-free and includes a detailed examination of the issue of breast cancer and hormone use.

There are many new ideas in this book compared to to his earlier work. For example, there are more extensive lists of hormone deficiency symptoms and more information on all the benefits of bioidentical hormones compared to the typical synthetic pharmaceutical agents like Premarin and Provera. Also Dr. Reiss includes information on assessing and supporting both the adrenal and thyroid glands, since these must be at optimal levels also for the ovarian hormones to function optimally.

The third part focusing on brain issues is a major addition and adds a dimension that I have found to be very important to address. Here he writes about how using his plan can help you with depression, anxiety, stress, sleep, and memory.

In the fourth part Dr. Reiss gives a detailed critique of the cancer fears that spiked worldwide after the WHI studies of Premarin in 2002 and he provides a series of ideas on reducing cancer risk using various natural agents, many of which I recommend to my patients on a regular basis. In this section he also includes studies that support the safe use of topical bio-identical hormones.

I found new information in this book which I will incorporate in my recommendations to my patients. I liked his references back to his web site where he updates information and keeps a current list of references to support everything he has written. I admit I do not particularly like the title reference to Superwoman although I know that Suzanne Somers, who helped popularize the use of bioidentical hormomes became a "super" woman again after being treated by Dr. Reiss. My patients following his ideas are just happy to feel "naturally normal" again for the first time often in many years.

The presentation is clear, concise and very readable. I liked the layout much more than in his first book and commend the publisher for the overall design of the pages. I have read many of the current books on this topic and would easily pick this book as being a major new resource for all women.

Bob Sager MD
Diplomate American Board of Family Medicine

5.0 out of 5 stars Clinical Nurse Specialist - Hormone Therapy, March 7, 2009
This book is well written and practical. The evidence for using bioidentical hormones is clear. Dr. Reiss has also convinced me of their safety. These hormones have several anti-aging benefits and have made a huge difference in my life and in the lives of my patients. I recommend this book to all women over age 35. In fact, young women would be wise to read it and to consider the hazards of staying on birth control pills. If I'd known 30 years ago, what I know now, I'd NEVER have taken contraceptive pills. In any case, read this book, use bioidentical hormones and start feeling better. (RN, Clinical Nurse Specialist / Author, Texas).

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read for Women over 40, February 9, 2008
Digital Dori (Charlotte, NC USA) - See all my reviews
An excellent book full of useful information for any woman over 40 who wants to live her life at an optimal level. I wish I had had this information available when I was in my 40s. Dr. Reiss discusses the various aspects of hormone deficiency / excess, and how to remedy the situation if one chooses to. He emphasizes the need to discuss all these decisions with a qualified doctor. Many of the symptoms of hormone deficiency many women may not recognize as treatable, but in fact, they are. He provides the benefits and risks of various hormones/supplements and allows the reader to make her own decision. He carefully discusses the research on hormone therapy in order to give the reader the best available information to make a decision. Excellent background before seeing a qualified doctor and during the course of treatment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Most authorative/experienced source of information on HRT and Supplements, January 12, 2008
Crowemom (Santa Barbara, CA) - See all my reviews
Dr. Reiss has written an easily understood book based on years of experience as an OB-GYN and anti-aging specialist. Whether or not a woman is interested in taking HRT, she can educated choices as to what natural supplements (exa. DHEA, COQ10, melatonin,etc.) and actions she might take to enhance the total quality of her life based on the book's content. Actions that may certainly have the effect of a happier, healthier and more active life. I focus on the word action because Dr. Reiss gives specifics rather than generalities. Personally, I am not interested in celebrity seals of approval, I honor years of medical practice and patient interaction as a validating source of information. A must-read book if a woman is seeking to do the best she can for herself!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best reference on bioidentical HRT so far, September 17, 2008
Although I will be eternally grateful to Suzanne Sommers for introducing me to bioidentical hormone replacement therapy, Uzzi Reiss's book is the best one I've read on the subject. It is organized in a way that makes it a fascinating first read, but also so you can use it as a reference for the future. He answered questions I have not been able to get answered elsewhere, and his love of healing and compassion for people, especially women, is evident throughout. I have no doubt that I will live a better, healthier life from having read this book and followed his guidance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended!, January 5, 2009
This book is an absolute must for any woman, at any age, who wishes to look and feel her best. I've read dozens of books on nutrition and hormones, intentionally seeking out books with contradicting opinions in order to make sure I understood the basis for opposing views. Up until this book, the only one I retained for future reference was "Natural Hormone Balance for Women" also by Dr. Uzzi Reiss (and Martin Zucker). Dr. Reiss relies on both his clinical experience and medical research to form his recommendations. It's best to read multiple books for the broadest knowledge, but if you only have the time or budget to pick up one book about bio-identical hormone usage -- this is the one.

Like another reviewer, I am also grateful to Suzanne Somers for her books which helped shine the light on the possibilities of bio-identical hormone use. If you don't have a doctor who is either well versed on bio-identical hormones, or willing to expand his or her knowledge on the subject I would strongly encourage you to find a new doctor! Quickly!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not impressed, October 3, 2009
kendee (renfrew, PA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Natural Superwoman: The Scientifically Backed Program for Feeling Great, Looking Younger,and Enjoying Amazing Energy at Any Age (Paperback)
I bought this book in hopes of solving some problems that I was having with bioidentical hormones. Unfortunately, the book is just basic information about bioidentical hormones and doesn't advise for even the most basic problems that might arise. It tells you the different problems that you might have while using BHRT, but then repeatedly just says "A physician with experience in treatment with bioidentical hormones can advise you on individual remedies for this condition." I only wish that physicians with knowledge of BHRT were more available. In many areas, doctors might prescribe BHRT, but lack sufficient knowledge to adjust the hormones when the basic strategy fails. If you are looking for basic instructions on BHRT, this book is good, otherwise, save your money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, a doctor advises from actual experience..., September 26, 2008
Toss those books that routinely advise 25mg to 100mg DHEA on the one hand, and warn about it's poitential to cause cancer on the other. Dr. Reiss explains -simply- how to determine your own individual dose. He wisely notes that -on average- we may only need 10mg to 15mg. Hey, doesnt that make total sense since that is the normal amount of DHEA a pre-menopausal woman makes per day??? I can't remember a book I read in recent times that that was packed with so much useful information. I could go on and on. I promise you won't be disappointed. If nothing else you must read Chia's Story. It's about Dr. Reiss' 17 year old lively chow chow on only daily doses of DHEA and pregnenolone. Lori (60 something) of San Leandro CA

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Practical Resource for Women's Health, November 10, 2008
Uzzi' Reiss's book is an excellent resource for women interested in or taking bioidentical hormones. It gives the details of symptoms and treatment with bioidentical hormones including advantages, side effects, pitfalls, and different forms of replacement. He clearly explains the importance of a complete program of lifestyle and nutrient replacement as well. All the common wellness issues of the menopausal and perimenopausal women are addressed. This book is a must read for all those women interested in learning about what it takes to reclaim their past vigor and maintain vibrant youthful health for the rest of their lives.

5.0 out of 5 stars Natural Superwomen, June 29, 2009
This book is incredible. My hope is that women of all ages read Dr Uzzi Reiss's book. It's about what to do and take to keep your body in tune with how you were created. I challenge women of all ages to treat themselves better by learning what to take for the well being of their mind & body. It teaches you about bio-identical hormones that is necessary for our bodies to function the way they were created to function safely and natural. Especially in this day and age. I continually give this book to everyone I know and care about. I feel GREAT. Thanks Dr Reiss!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›