5.0 out of 5 stars Pet owners, read this book!!
If you do not to read, hire someone to read it for you!! Your pets will thank you.
Published on May 28, 1999 by B. Smawley

3.0 out of 5 stars Holistic Medications can still be harmful
Published on November 6, 2000 by Donna

5.0 out of 5 stars Pet owners, read this book!!, May 28, 1999
I lost a cat to cancer two years ago. My feeling that I was somehow responsible for his demise at such a young age wasn't entirely grief related. For instance, was there something wrong with feeding an animal the same old stuff day and night for his/her entire life, often dried stuff at that? If so, what other options were there? And how about tap water? If we the people are concerned about drinking it, what about our pets? Inquiries about diet to everyone, vets included, almost always elicit the same response: do not feed table food or "scraps." Trouble is, most of us just do not have a scientific and/or medical background with which to argue the point. Dr. Goldstein discusses food and tap water and how it affects health in this book.
All that is required for reading this book is an open, active mind and the ability to strive for something better. People who have added lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains and, yes, even soy products to their diets know that they feel better, look better, and are healthier. And so it would be with animals. My 3 remaining cats are doing much better after only two weeks on real MEAT, grains, and vegetables. I know my cats so you can trust me on this point. Some people will want studies. Well, scientists have concocted chemicals for making the RENDERED BY-PRODUCTS in commercial pet food appealing to animals via smell and/or taste. But show me a study which says it's GOOD for our animals. Isn't it golden age advertising and hasn't it worked, especially in this busy world!! Incidentally, several natural pet food brands are mentioned in the book for non-cookers.
Finally, I've concentrated my comments on diet (and maybe one or two too many on my own opinions :)) because health starts with food and food is one aspect we pet owners really have control over. However, Dr. Goldstein covers many other topics including vaccines, herbs, supplements, natural remedies, and devotes an entire chapter to cancer. Many of his patients are very sick. He explains why he believes in helping an animal heal itself by treating the disease rather than the symptoms. Feeding real food is part of the process. Dr. Goldstein writes from experience. He even admits he doesn't understand how or why some of the holistic methods work; he's just seen it work year after year. His final chapters deal with the spiritual realm, including our relationship with our pets, and death of pets (choosing when to let go, euthanasia, grieving). There is an extensive resource guide at the back.
I also recommend FOOD PETS DIE FOR by Ann N. Martin. She spent 7 years investigating the ingredients in commercial pet food. If you read that book first, you'll surely want to read this one (or vice versa).
Whoa, did I get ever get carried away here. But I've waited a long time for this book. Thank you, Dr. Goldstein, for writing it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Introduction to Holistic Pet Care, August 22, 2000
While written for the average pet owner who is not familiar with terms such as vaccinosis or nosodes, even those of us who have been into natural rearing for a long time can find some useful information in this book. The section on heartworm, for instance, is excellent. Few vets are even aware of the fact that alternative heartworm prevention and treatment methods exist. Also excellent: the chapters on vaccinations and the nature of disease.
The chapter on nutrition points the reader in the right direction (i.e., away from processed pet foods and toward homeprepared fresh food diets), but there's not enough information to enable readers to formulate a balanced homemade diet for their dogs or cats (Dr. Pitcairn's book is better in that regard).
Dr. Goldstein is not a classical homeopath and some people may object to his use of homeopathic remedies. Nonetheless, his A-Z guide to canine/feline ailments and their possible cures is thorough and full of useful information. He uses dietary supplements, glandulars, Western and Chinese herbs, homeopathy, flower remedies, and occasionally even allopathic drugs. His motto seems to be "whatever works." The chapter on cancer is good but would have been even better if Dr. Goldstein had addressed the important dietary guidelines for cancer patients and survivors.
The book concludes with a wonderful chapter on the spiritual connection between us and our animals and a great chapter on coping with the death of a beloved pet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Please buy and read this book., December 20, 1999
I have read many books on holistic/alternative veterinary medicine over the years in order to keep my 5 cats and 5 dogs as happy and healthy as possible. But I've never read one as useful, comprehensive, and readable as Dr. Goldstein's. His explanation, for example, of vaccinosis (disease resulting from too many and too frequent vaccinations) is the most understandable you'll find anywhere. And in discussing treatments, he not only gives you medicines and sources, he even gives dosages based on the pet's weight. Not very many books do this! I am recommending this book to everyone I know who owns a dog or cat, and I urge you, I BESEECH you, to buy this book and begin partnering with your vet to make better decisions about how to keep your pet healthy and, when treatment for illness is needed, how to use less invasive and harmful cures that treat the source of the illness rather than the symptom. If you're reading this, I'm probably preaching to the choir. But if you buy this book, please pass the word along to your friends with animal companions. Most of them will be interested; they've just never thought to question conventional veterinary medicine and so don't know it's not a great idea to give their pets yearly vaccinations and cortisone shots for allergies. They deserve to know the rest of the story.

5.0 out of 5 stars This will change your views of the veterinary profession!, December 13, 1999
By A Customer
I have been providing our dogs with alternative health treatments since 1995. I was fed up with conventional care--too many pills that merely masked underlying illnesses and no real treatment. Our dogs have glowing health and everyone remarks on their vigor & beautiful coats. Dr. Goldstein, because of his successes with cancer & chronic illnesses, has conventional veterinarians quaking in their boots. So much of medicine is run by the profit motive, totally denying the Hippocratic oath taken by doctors and vets. Think of the marketing of pet foods and vaccinations in the office of the vet--two of the biggest money-makers in the industry. It is no wonder those boots are quaking. I implore you to read this book for the sake of your pets' health.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Path" less traveled... a refreshing approach to pet care!, April 15, 2004
I have been waiting SO long for a book like this! Little did I know that Dr. Goldstein had finally granted the hopes and wishes of people across the nation begging for an alternative to the drugs, disease, and unnecessary treatments plaguing our pets. His book is one enormous exposé on the veterinary and pet food industries!
**Highlights**
The first 4 chapters; if you read nothing else, I beg you to read chapters 1-4.
- Chapter 1 & 2 make the concept of disease and infirmity completely understandable. Basically, sickness is the absence of health! Restoring health, instead of squelching the symptoms of illness, is the only way to your pet's ultimate wellness, longevity, and quality of life.
- Chapters 3 & 4 are about food and vaccines respectively. Dr. Goldstein covers all of the basics of what is wrong with that bag of kibble in the closet, and why our companions deserve the best we can give them... not to mention the numerous health benefits of feeding them a wholesome food! In chapter 4 he goes on the expose the facts about vaccinations, why the could be HARMING our pets instead of helping them, and what vaccines are really necessary (if any).
Best Points:
· Very inspiring and motivating! If you've ever had excuses for doing things "just because I've always done it this way" this book will definitely change your perspective.
· Dr. Goldstein is a real person. Not gimmicky like other authors, he actually admits his faults and explains his own reasoning. He is extremely credible (see his credentials as a vet) and believable.
· The book is very well-written and easy to read
· Back section has an "Alphabet of Ailments" from allergies to worms, and how to treat them effectively with natural remedies
· The book is "open" and very fit-to-your-lifestyle
Things some people may be uncomfortable with:
· The "evidence" for his theories is largely anecdotal... but since half of healing and medicine is mystery, there is no way to test "wellness" or a degree of healing really. The volume of evidence is enormous, yet still the extremely scientifically minded may have a problem with it.
· He does discuss topics like animal "spirituality" which some may not agree with. He also talks about animal communicators and his own qualms about such things though, so it's fairly balanced.
An entire chapter is devoted to the "big C"... Cancer. From causes to cures he sheds an interesting light on the role of veterinary medicine in cancer.
Overall, this is THE best book I have read on the subject of healing in general. I urge any pet lover to read it, especially if you are skeptical about holistic/alternative therapies. It is explanatory, helpful, and inspiring!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Animal's Best Friend, February 1, 2003
This review is from: The Nature of Animal Healing : The Definitive Holistic Medicine Guide to Caring for Your Dog and Cat (Paperback)
I only read Dr. Goldstein's book after I had the supreme pleasure of having him treat my 11-year-old cat, who was dying from feline squamous cell carcinoma of the jawbone. Anyone who has had the opportunity of knowing Dr. Goldstein, or Dr. Marty, as he likes to be called, will tell you he is a true humanitarian. His book comes from the heart & is a valuable guide to pet care. The chapters on "The Death of a Pet" & "Taking on Cancer" were lifesavers for my husband & myself, when we we had to make the final decision to euthanize our pet. His extraordinary efforts with cryosurgery gave our pet 3 pain-free months she would not have had, otherwise. In addition, it gave us the time we needed to accept her eventual death. I have referred countless people to Dr. Goldstein & I have given his book as gifts to friends. Thank goodness someone like him, who is not afraid to take calculated risks & who ignores naysayers, exists in a profession that tends to acquiesce to scientific proof. God bless him!

3.0 out of 5 stars Holistic Medications can still be harmful, November 6, 2000
Donna (Sherman Oaks, California USA) - See all my reviews
I ordered Dr. Goldstein's book and have found it very enlightning on the alternative methods of treating animals holistically. I fortunately have a great holistic vet, but after Bailey suffering with allergies, and reading Dr. Goldstein's suggestion, I dosed him with the recommended dosage of homeopathic meds that Dr. Goldstein recommends. My dog had a very very bad reaction to one of the ingredients in this medication and could not breathe. My dog is fine now, but I think that what you should take away from this book is the value of holistic treatments, but don't assume that just because it is homeopathy that there are not risks involved. I was very lucky with my dog Bailey, and I would just make sure that if you are interested in treating your animal holistically that you do it under the advice of a trained vet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Drips with compassion, March 3, 2007
software geek (san diego, ca United States) - See all my reviews
This is a book that drips with compassion, page by page, chapter by chapter. If you own a pet or are thinking about getting one, this is not merely recommended. It is required reading in my opinion. Once in awhile, we come across an individual, who has risen above his peers and made quantam strides in a field, but yet has no ego about it. Such a person does so, I believe, because it is their goal to achieve the product, and not so much the reward of their labors. Dr. Goldstein is one of these rare individuals who has risen to greatness treating animals with the purpose of increasing their health and quality of life rather than merely treating them in methods that the veterinary industry, as a group, has evolved. His practice is holistic in the sense that he uses what works. And that does include some conventional veterinary methods. It's all about what's best for the pet.

In reading this book, you will encounter case histories of Dr. Goldstein's, what he did, what he learned. You discover how he became a holistic vet, having practiced conventionally for a number of years. He was interested in treating animals and improving their lives. Compassion.

Dr. Goldstein has a lot to say about diet. And it makes sense that this one point is such a vital element to an animal's life. The chapter titles says it all: "It All Starts with Food." I could never understand how vets prescribe a diet for cats with renal problems that is so low in protein when a cat's natural diet is diametrically opposite. While it makes sense to not stress the kidneys, removing protein is not necessarily the best approach. Especially when cancer is so prevalent and cancer thrives on carbohydrate diets.

And Dr. Goldstein introduces invaluable information about vaccines. The link between vaccines and ailments, including cancers, is now well-known among many vets that your vet today may well ask if your cat is indoor or outdoor to determine if Fluffy really needs all the vaccinnes. Compelling information is provided that our pets are grossly over-vaccinated to the point where the vaccines are introducing more problems than they are solving. Don't count on your local vet to know all of these details. As pet owners, it is really our responsibility to have the final say on what is put into our animal's body.

An entire chapter is devoted to cancer. This has become a disease that your pet may well develop if treated conventionally with vet-recommended diets and annual vaccinations. It is what Dr. Goldstein sees daily. His brother's pioneering work with cryosurgery is part of the regimen that Dr. Goldstein's clinic uses to this day to remove or kill tumors. It is far less costly without the nasty side-effects of radiation and chemotherapy.

Finally, I would be remiss if I didn't mention the more spiritual aspects of the book, which includes a chapter on the spiritual nature of animals and the death of a pet. Our friends don't live forever, unfortunately. This part of the book touched on something I experienced that I had previously believed was merely my imagination, yet it was something other pet owners experienced after the death of a pet. It made sense.

As I mentioned at the outset, this book just plain drips with compassion throughout. You can't help but feel it, see it and understand it.

5.0 out of 5 stars PRESERVE YOUR DOGS HEALTH AND LIFE STARTING NOW, March 7, 2001
Debra Brewer (Arlington, VA United States) - See all my reviews
I am always referring this book to all of my dog owner friends. I have 2 dogs. AKC Cairn Terriers. The female is 13yo diagnosed by conventional doctor w/Congestive heart failure(March2000) I nearly had her euthanized-the coughing and quality of life was not good. I had her blood drawn by my conventional vet&sent it to Smith Ridge Vet Center(Dr Goldsteins Center)for BNA (Bio-Nutritional Analysis)and Dr. Aiken consulted by phone and prescribed supplements and advice on how to CURE her. It has. She is a young pup again. #2 dog-3yr old male cairn-$600. broncoscopy by conventional vet specialist-diagnosed with COPD-chronic obstructed pulmonary disease. I did it again-sent his blood away for testing..2 months of supplements and no further COPD symptoms. After the supplements helped them I then gave in and changed their diet-Dr Goldstein and newsletter"Whole Dog Journal"have advocated the BARF diet. (Bones And Raw Food) I am a vegetarian. It took a lotta love and research to convince me,and it has paid off in miracle health and vitality, clean teeth!! Aunt Jeni's homemade dog food is the only way to go.It is a reccommended alternative by Dr. Goldsteins office. I only wish that ALL pet owners will read this and then make the decision to help your dog now instead of relying upon so many self centered interest groups involved in animal health. If you want to help your best friend-then please read this book and call Smith Ridge. They are the BEST.

5.0 out of 5 stars #1 for learning about holistic animal care, October 10, 2000
Shannon Wilkinson (Portland, Oregon United States) - See all my reviews
Dr. Goldstein started his career as a traditional allopathic veterinary. However, over the years he discovered (often through taking better care of himself) that maybe traditional medicine wasn't really healing, or creating healthier animals, but merely suppressing symptoms. Over time, his way of dealing with illness and creating wellness changed.
The Nature of Animal Healing provides information on diet, disease and treatment for dogs and cats. He discusses the various modalities, herbs and other products useful in treating animals. There is an excellent chapter on specific ailments and how to treat them. Dr. Goldstein devotes an entire chapter to treating cancer -- a disease state far too common with our animal friends. This book is highly recommended as an introduction to natural healing and wellness. It is also valuable as a reference text for those more familiar with alternative veterinary care.

$17.00 $11.89