5.0 out of 5 stars Review by [...], October 19, 2010
This review is from: The Nature Connection: An Outdoor Workbook for Kids, Families, and Classrooms (Paperback)
Length:: 3:20 Mins

I love children's craft/activity books that get kids outside (& teach them something!). This book is both fun and educational - a win, win combination for educators, families or classrooms.

I highly recommend this book. Please enjoy my amateur video review. I try to give you a good idea of what's inside the book so you can make your own decision to buy or not.

XOXO-

5.0 out of 5 stars The Nature Connection: An Outdoor Workbook for Kids, Families and Classrooms, March 21, 2011
I wasn't sure if this book would suit my needs since I'm not a parent or teacher, but it was fantastic. It was so informative and motivating and it's journal page options were an unexpected bonus. I bought this book for myself and I'm 32!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Resource for Nature Study for Any Age!, April 30, 2011
Christine J. (NC , United States) - See all my reviews
I have often admired the nature sketches of Claire Walker Leslie. Her recent book for encouraging children to enjoy learning about nature is called The Nature Connection. I was so delighted to be sent a review copy, to utilize with my children. I have often wanted to implement more nature study into our homeschool studies, but often needed a bit more inspiration. The Nature Connection is divided into twelve months of learning ideas. Claire Walker Leslie has found a way to integrate many subjects, such as math, science, language arts, and more, into nature studies into this one resource. For example, for the month of October, there are project ideas of planting bulbs for spring, art ideas to make with leaves and seeds, and literature recommendations. One fun suggestion was to play "Pooh sticks" on a bridge. This activity would lead children to read The House at Pooh Corner by A.A.Milne. This book adds zest to any nature study program and gives Moms an opportunity to suggest fun projects rather than simply asking their children to sketch. It is so much fun to pack a backpack with snacks, sketch books, pencils, field guides, The Nature Connection, and to explore one's neighborhood or the park. Though this book is recommended for ages 8-12, I have found it to be very adaptable for toddlers and up. If you finding yourself needing some creative inspiration for nature studies, I highly recommend using The Nature Connection.

I was sent a complimentary review copy from Storey Publishing, in exchange for an honest review!

5.0 out of 5 stars All-In-One Nature Study Curriculum, April 12, 2011
This book is wonderful! From the first page, I knew this book was what I looking for. First, she explains why we study nature. I agree with her reasoning that we need to understand that we are connected to this world we live in and we need to take care of it. Her desire, which she makes clear, is that children would grow to love being outside and begin to see all that is around them every day. I would also add one more reason why we study nature which is that God created this world and in realizing how amazing His creation is, we realize how amazing God is. His creation can't help but point to Him. This reason is the most important to me, but as the parent and teacher I can share that with my children when we begin our study.

Part One of this book is about How to Be a Naturalist. Ms. Walker explains how to look, what to write down, what you will need, and how to record observations. Part Two goes on to talk about the Sky, weather, and seasons. There are wonderful hand drawn illustrations and lots of great information in this section. The third part is a month by month guide which gives several activities for each month and relevant information for that time of year.

How will I use this book? I will get a copy for each of my children and myself. I will begin the school year going through part one and helping my children learn how to observe nature and record their observations. Storey Publishing also has a page where you can download printable copies of the pages which you would need duplicates of to make a nature journal on their website. After we've put their nature journals together, we'll start in October or November with the monthly activities and divide them amongst the weeks. We typically study science one-two days a week. What makes this a good book to use with multiple ages is the writing, illustrations, and activities. Children can draw as simple or as elaborate pictures of what they see as they are able to. They can also write single words, simple phrases, or complete sentences to describe what they see.

What I most appreciate about The Nature Connection is that it makes nature study seem so simple and it no longer seems daunting to me as it has before. I'll be able to pick up this book, open it up, and use it to help us enjoy nature together.

Please note that I received a complimentary copy of this book for review from Storey Publishing.

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't wait to dive into this!, March 8, 2013
LindseyMarie (Long Beach, CA) - See all my reviews
I'm buying another! One for each child. I can't wait to dive into this book. How fun! I am a homeschooling mom and I wanted something a little extra to enrich my child but also get them out the house and connect with nature. We live in Los Angeles county and it's a far cry from Alaska where I'm from, or Washington (the Green State!) where Grandma and Grandpa are at, so this book is going to help us out a lot to get ideas for where to go and what to look for. Nature is everywhere, even here, and I love that we'll be enjoying ourselves sketching, tracking the moon phases, looking for tracks of animals, studying trees, etc. This is awesome. Can't wait. OH! And even my friend who is an artist and daycare provider will be buying these for her kids at her daycare and wants to do this. How fun!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Compliment to Waldorf Homeschool, September 6, 2012
I am using an eclectic / Waldorf-based curriculum for my 8-year-old son and we both LOVE this resource! Just enough information to give ideas about what and how to explore Nature. I can see this workbook being used for years to come.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful first book for emerging naturalists, April 5, 2012
This is an easy to use nature studies book. My 7 yo daughter was very inspired by the "modified contour" drawing instructions and her ability to observe and draw animals went to a whole new level within a few minutes. We decided to go to our lake and record what we see there and she drew a Canada Goose rather accurately. The layout is accessible and easy to work with. Great first naturalist workbook for homeschoolers.

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful curiosity sparker!, January 20, 2014
I purchased a copy for my home schooled kids ages 8,8,6, and 3. They LOVE them. We have read parts together and they tramps outside to observe. It really is observation training as well as showing us a way to record what is observed. We highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, April 19, 2012
I look this nature workbook. I am a teacher, but I bought it to use at home with my daughter who is 9. She loves the outdoors and this just makes it more meaningful. Well done.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best for young/inexperienced kids, June 20, 2013
This book is best for young (4-7) or kids that are inexperienced with nature. I tried to use it with my 8 year old daughter that has had lots of natural history/ecology/botany/zoology and it was just too simplistic for her. It is set up so that you write in the book, which I don't like usually and this book isn't spiral bound so it is a bit hard to write in anyway. I'd prefer a suggestion to just start a different journal - guess they were trying to make it easier. Lots of good ideas for those that need them though!

The Nature Connection: An Outdoor Workbook for Kids, Families, and Classrooms