5.0 out of 5 stars God's love for us
Published on April 21, 2011 by Diane Adams

3.0 out of 5 stars A Good Read for the Mature Christian
Published on November 16, 2011 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars A Good Read for the Mature Christian, November 16, 2011
"Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter. Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us. For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord." - Romans 8:35-39.

In her book, The Nature of God, author Mona Hanna explores the limitless depths of God's love and acceptance. She details the nature of God by describing His mercy, forgiveness, patience and grace. Each of the fifty short devotions delves into a deeper understanding of the attributes of God. We are reminded that even when we feel unlovable, God is there. His love in unending. His mercies are new every morning. His faithfulness is without end.

The book is well-written, and the structure allows for the reader to begin each day with one of the short devotions. What better way to start each day than with a reminder of God's love!

Doctrinally, the book had a few areas that troubled me. There were a couple of topics on which the line between truth and error was blurred. For example, many times God's acceptance is described in such a way that it seems God accepts our sins as well as ourselves. I Peter 1:16 says, "Be ye holy; for I am holy." It does not say, "Do the best you can, and that will be good enough for God." Yes, God accepts us as we are, but He loves us too much to leave us that way. He longs for us to grow in Him. He will forgive our sins, but He will not accept them or excuse them.

Another area that brought me grief was how the author made the relationship between God and the Christian seem like a one-sided arrangement. From what I read, I inferred that Christians can live their lives as they see fit, and as long as their happy, God is happy. They are not required to be separate from the world and do "Christian" things. I disagree. I Corinthians 10:31 says, "Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God." The word "Christian" means "Christ-like". Everything a Christian does should be Christ-like and for the glory of God. Yes, God wants us to be happy, but He also wants us to follow His plan for our lives.

Whether or not these blurred lines were intentional, I do not know. I may have totally misunderstood what the author was trying to say, but if that is the case, there needs to be more clarity. For stronger Christians who have studied the Bible and are firmly grounded in their faith, this book might be a beneficial addition to their libraries. For weaker Christians, I fear there are too many gray areas for me to recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars God's love for us, April 21, 2011
This review is from: The Nature of God: 50 Christian Devotions about God's Love and Acceptance (God's Love Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This book of devotionals will offer solace to those who feel confused, lost or separated from God. The author speaks from her heart, making each entry sound genuine. She promises God's presence and ongoing love in any circumstance and presents her views in a well-written manner that makes them easy to understand and believe. I came away with the feeling that God's love is not dependent on my behavior - good or bad. I especially liked her statement that God loved me first, before I became a Christian. I'll be reading this book of devotionals more than once.

4.0 out of 5 stars Comforting, January 19, 2014
Depending on your view of God this book may be revealing, comforting or even surprising. It is written in the first person and should be taken as one person's view of God. This book will be of benefit to those who feel lonely, depressed or guilty. This book also deals with negative thinking. I think most people will relate to the message of this book which is that God is loving and kind and wants the best for us. I did question a few statements as I believe we will have less problems in our lives if we are less sinful. Also the Bible clearly does state that God punishes sin. This book sort of glosses over these things in favor of just saying God loves us anyway. Which he does but the Bible would indicate that God's standards for us are pretty high. So read this book for comfort but also read the Bible to know who God truly is.

~The Rebecca Review

3.0 out of 5 stars Have you ever viewed God in this way???, May 16, 2012
Before I was a few pages into this devotional book, it was clear to me that the author herself has a real and heartwarming relationship with her God. Mona Hanna is right up front with her Christian faith, and through the 50 Christian Devotions in this book, shares her faith openly with her readers.

Mona shares how she experiences the many characteristics of God, and gives the reader a look into her own perception of God's personality. This is done through short daily devotions. But rather than 365 devotions, the 50 devotions in the book are each given a title, which the reader can view in order to choose the devotion that aligns with their present need. Alternatively, the reader can open the book, turn to a random page, and read how that particular page can be actively applied to their current life place. This is one of the positive characteristics of this devotional.

"The Nature of God" gives us the author's perspective of God: as being less judgmental and less of a rule enforcer, than may have been implied in the reader's previous life descriptions of God. Mona Hanna sees God as all loving, all giving, and all protecting of His children; and would like her readers to walk away with the same feelings, or similar feelings to her own, that which is expressed in this book. Mona reinforces this as what she believes is the true nature of God.

The author uses everyday language in each devotion, which brings the reader close to the heart of the meaning in that particular day's words. But, at the same time, Mona's language is not too simplistic, and therefore can reach a level of shared experience.

The writing style allows for "The Nature of God" to be used in many settings, and over repeated time frames. Basically, the book may be used as the reader sees fit. This is a wonderful asset, when people are learning and growing in their faith environment.

My word of caution pertains to readers, who may choose this book as an introduction to Christian faith. The reason for this caution is that some of Mona's comments could be perceived as theologically true, when in fact they are strictly from Mona's life experience. To be clear, the author does not claim anything other than offering devotional prayer. However, given the writer's style, thoughts may be construed as theological fact. For that reason, I would recommend this book be used by a strong Christian, who is versed in some elements of theology, as related to their own doctrine of practice. This critique may be remedied by the author's use of a theological or doctrinal editor.

On the whole, Mona Hanna has done what she set out to do: provide the reader with a closer look at God's love and acceptance of humankind. A job well done!

3.0 out of 5 stars written well, but missing something important, January 11, 2014
This book contains some good material in it, but does not qualify as a devotion. Any Christian seeking this book for devotional material will be deeply disappointed because it contains no Scripture. A book does not qualify as a daily devotional if it does not share God's word with its readers.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Nature of God, August 26, 2013
Andi (Sun Lakes AZ) - See all my reviews
This book got me through a rough patch. I have a personal relationship with Christ but struggle with bi-polar and this book still to this day, when I'm off kilter, keeps me grounded. It's a book that you can go back to many times over your lifetime. it's a keeper.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, March 11, 2013
Amazing amazing amazing! And so unbelievably relevant to every day life. Do not miss out on the opportunity to read this book! Its amazing how just a couple pages a day can help give you such deep insight into yourself and life in general. A must read!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great story :), December 10, 2013
I really enjoyed the way Mona thinks about God. She had a opened mind and this book is great! A few spelling errors but the message this book gives is WORTH IT.

4.0 out of 5 stars GO BACK TO THE BEGINNING, February 5, 2014
Vickie Woodard (HOPKINSVILLE, KY, US) - See all my reviews
At the start of the book, the author was constantly saying, "People were telling me..."; that's good. Christians should have conversations; they SHOULD be able to talk about they see God, the way they view His actions. First, he didn't sent His son to the cross; Jesus volunteered to go to the cross. God allowed His son to go the cross, then darkness fell over the land. (Matthew 27:45, Luke 23:44) Some people say God couldn't see His Son's suffering, so He turned His back on Him. Christians should always talk with each other. It helps to know we have a shoulder to lean on. You know you have someone you can call, even in the middle of the night.
As the book goes on, it's more Bible verse than original thinking. The author tries to use those verses to develop a plan of learning how to pray, but is weak.
Hanna shoulva stuck to that old time religion, where everyone holds hands in prayer circles.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful and thank you!, June 26, 2014
First: thank you Mona for the free book.

This is a delightful book. Full of reminders put in a new way that makes it deeply nourishing. It's light reading but very welcome from some of the deeper reading that I do. I look forward each morning to including yours in the start to my day walking with the Lord.

Following is an excerpt from today. I found it just what I needed to hear as I step into my day.

I don’t have to decide every facet of my future. I just have to keep going, and God will give me things to do. I may come to realize what to do after a time of confusion. I may still be confused and just try to do something — anything — to move forward. The path will eventually lead to God. He’ll control that — not me.

Rate and Discover Movies