5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book
Published on July 16, 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but seems a little dated
This is a collection of writings, not a unified book. They're interesting, but if you've done a lot of reading on the subject, these unfortunately seem dated.

Published 2 months ago by Tea

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, July 16, 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: The Near-Death Experience: A Reader (Paperback)
I read this book for my Anthropology of Death course. It is the best book that I have read for any of my classes. It looks at all aspects of death, it integrates different opions from doctors, psychologists, and other people who have had near death experiences. It discusses the stages of dying and the NDE. It was a great book. It gets you thinking about what could be beyond.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great overview of near death literature, November 7, 2006
R. H. May (Bellingham, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Near-Death Experience: A Reader (Paperback)
I stumbled onto this book after losing my Mother. I didn't want to read just one author who might overload me with his own set of beliefs on the subject. I wanted a representative and reasonably objective overview of the subject, and that is just what this book delivers. It covers the full range from uplifting stories of light and love and ultimate understanding on the other side to academic essays on the cultural and religious significance of near death imagery. You get believers and nonbelievers, scientists and saints between the covers of this collection. I read the whole book and am rereading it now. For a skeptic who really wonders where her Mom is now, it is comforting and thought provoking without being saccharine or preachy.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Separation or the Perception of the Fall, November 10, 2006
I became aware of this book after reading the book by Kevin Williams' called Nothing Better Than Death. Specifically the NDE by Mellen-Thomas Benedict. His NDE experience goes all the way back to the "big bang" of the physical universe. His NDE journey has many other interesting enlightening experiences along the way. I am glad I own a hard copy of this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprised there are not more reviews, December 9, 2010
This review is from: The Near-Death Experience: A Reader (Paperback)
I have read quite a few books about life after "death.." or the study of death.. even from the occult's point of view. What I love about this work is its lack of assertions.. or assumptions. The work is a recount/summary of other people's experiences, straight from their own books/works. It's interesting to read how some of these people were forced to experience the pain they'd inflicted on others throughout their "human life..." The book is humorous, entertaining, and simply a diary of people's afterlife experiences. From a non religious point of view, I like this book because the people state what they experienced. It's a very factual, matter of fact book, with some opinions interjected. I wanted the opinions, but I like that the author does not tell us "there is ______.. and this is why _____.. and here's what happens: ______" etc.. It's just a diary of people's accounts of "heaven.." or "hell.." however you want to look at it, along with how perhaps they changed their lives after returning to earth (after near death experiences). This book finally delivers what I was looking for regarding the after life: factual recounts from NDEs (Near Death Experiences). For those confused, the book is recount of Near Death Experiences.. some of the people quoted were "dead" for up to 1.5 hours and returned to life after "dying.."

5.0 out of 5 stars A very interesting book!, August 16, 2013
This review is from: The Near-Death Experience: A Reader (Paperback)
Lots of information that make a lot of sense. This book answered a lot of questions I had for many years. I no longer fear death.I'm better prepared to go, even though, I'm not ready yet.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but seems a little dated, September 13, 2014
Tea (New Hampshire & Tokyo) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Near-Death Experience: A Reader (Paperback)

There's too much attempt at "proving" what NDEs are and are not, when it seems that that's not a question that we can answer with our current level of knowledge. It strikes me as being from a former period when people had to justify studying them. However, it does contain some interesting accounts, including Mellon-Thomas Benedict's which can be hard to find otherwise.

Be aware also that this is a large-format book, if that kind of thing bothers you.

The Near-Death Experience: A Reader
The Near-Death Experience: A Reader by Lee W. Bailey (Paperback - June 6, 1996)
$55.95 $49.25