5.0 out of 5 stars A new and improved Black Book!
Published on July 15, 2001 by mirope

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots of detailed instructions for lots of stitches
This is a really comprehensive and well put together to help any embroiderer. However, I'm disappointed at the black-and-white photos of the stitches, which makes them harder for me to visualize. I would gladly have paid extra to have the photos of the stithces in color.
Published on February 9, 2009 by eskarina

5.0 out of 5 stars A new and improved Black Book!, July 15, 2001
This review is from: The Needlepoint Book: A Complete Update of the Classic Guide (Paperback)
Like most stitchers, I've used "the Black Book" for years. The new edition is a must-have for anyone who does needlepoint. All the good stuff you've used in the past is still there - lessons on how to begin, the tools of the trade, hundreds of stitches and how to use them, and fnishing instructions. Part of the reason that Christensen has been such a universally used resource is that her step-by-step instructions on how to do different stiches are easy to follow. As wonderful as the old edition was, this new one is even better. Not only are there more stiches - and very useful ones - but the information on tools and materials has been drastically revised. One of the most significant changes that caught my attention is that unlike the previous edition, Christensen is now recommending routine use of frames. Of course, this is consistent with what most of us have been doing for years. Christensen makes some general observations about the new types of threads available and how to use them, but she doesn't discuss them in detail. This is probably a wise choice since the vast variety of threads has been constantly changing and will no doubt continue to do so. My one complaint is that when selecting projects to show in the book, Christensen has very deliberately chosen to drastically limit the number of projects that have holiday themes, particularly Christmas. This seems like a strange choice since you only have to walk in to any needlepoint shop to know that Christmas projects make up the bulk of the business. Other holidays, including those of different religions and traditions are also popular. Personally, I almost never stitch anything but Christmas stockings and ornaments, and most stitchers I know are the same. Other than this personal bias, however, I have found the new edition to be an excellent improvement on an already great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST FOR THE "NEEDLEPOINTER"!, January 25, 2002
I have loved needlepoint now for over thirty years. Probably one of the greatest things my mother gave me was a beginners needlepoint class when I was eight years old. I basket-weaved away for many, many years. Then, I discovered this book. It took my love for needlepoint to new levels of creativity. There are so many easy to follow directions for stiches that I had never seen before. This book brought out a new and creative aspect to my stiches. From the brand new beginner to the heartend veteran, this book is a must have! I have several other guides in my needlepoint library, yet I always come back to this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Reference, January 21, 2000
This book is like a bible to a needlepointer...I keep it right by my side, especially when starting a new project. Good pictures, lots of them, and easy intructions...I'm self taught and this has been a valuable tool.

5.0 out of 5 stars My copy has gone soft from use!, March 9, 2002
Elizabeth Lay (Clear Spring, MD United States) - See all my reviews
I own both the first and second editions of this book. Of all the beautiful needlepoint books in my collection, this is the one I go back to over and over. There is information for the beginner as well as advanced stitcher. In eighteen years, I've never picked it up that it didn't learn something new or valuable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, with lots of detail!, December 30, 1999
By A Customer
I had borrowed the 1976 edition from the library and found it very helpful and a useful reference. But a friend gave me the 1999 edition for Xmas. It is superb!

1) The photos are great -- all the needlework looks like true works of art. The 1976 edition pieces photographed look hopelessly amateurish by comparison -- not to mention garishly 1970's!

2) The author goes into much greater detail about the varieties of yarns and their properties, as well as stitching techniques. There are also MANY more photos on the various steps: blocking and finishing, evaluating your designs, colors, etc.

3) Finally, the author has further annotated the stitches section to include her comments (in addition to the stitch diagram, photo and stitch properties chart (yarn hog, good backing, etc.). She had notes (e.g. "this is a stand-alone stitch") in the prior version, but she does this to a far greater extent in this edition, which I find helpful.

One thing, however, I would have liked to see in this book (perhaps alongside the bibliography) is a resources list, perhaps listing the American Needlepoint Guild and its classes for design and color, etc. Perhaps also a point made that ideas can be gotten in needlework classes at your local shop, etc.

All in all, though, this book is truly an investment for anyone doing needlepoint!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is THE top guide to needlepoint stitches, August 24, 2000
"janmg" (Denver, CO United States) - See all my reviews
If you only own one book about needlepoint, then this is the book to have. The layout, stitch explanations and illustrations are all excellent. The color photographs of completed projects illustrate the beauty of going beyond basketweave in stitching, and Jo's book clearly shows how a variety of stitches are done. Your immagination can take you then on to new heights and turn the craft of needlepoint into an art.

5.0 out of 5 stars The one book you'll need to get going, February 15, 2006
If you want to learn on your own, this is the book you need. I bought the paper back, took it to the copy place to cut the spine and spiral bind it with clear plastic covers. Now it stays open to the page I'm working from. Her directions are clear for every sitch and they are organized approporiately by type. Charts tell what each stitch is great and poor for. Easy to use without reading; but all beginers and re-starters should thoroughly read the begining to learn the other how-tos of needlepoint. Great for working patterns (painted canvas) or on your own designs. It may be the only book you need.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for any needlepoint library, April 15, 1999
I have been doing needlepoint for 20 years. I checked this book out of my local library expecting to spend 15 minutes skimming it for a new idea -- my usual practice with books of this type. Three hours later, I still couldn't put it down, and I decided that I needed to order this book from amazon.com in the morning. I thought my technique was as good as it could be, but I discovered from this book that I had been ignoring the "nap" of my fiber. I was extremely impressed with the section on stitches -- it includes many I have never seen before, and all of the stitches that show up in the newest charted patterns for sale at your local needlework store. The stitches are presented in sections that make for fun and easy project planning. In short, this is a fabulous book and I can't wait until my own copy arrives.

5.0 out of 5 stars Needlepoint Book by Jo Ippolito, November 30, 1999
Patricia H. Rusch "Pat Rusch" (Arroyo Grande, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I have used the first edition of this book for over 20 years and was so thrilled to see it redone. It is excellent and should be the "bible" for all serious needlepointers. It is great for beginners and advanced needlepointers. It is an excellent compendium of stitches.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots of detailed instructions for lots of stitches, February 9, 2009

The Needlepoint Book: A Complete Update of the Classic Guide
The Needlepoint Book: A Complete Update of the Classic Guide by Jo Ippolito Christensen (Paperback - February 26, 1999)
$25.00 $19.17