5.0 out of 5 stars A GREAT BOOK IF A LOVED ONE IS DYING

Published on August 12, 2007 by J. Moss

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A GREAT BOOK IF A LOVED ONE IS DYING, May 12, 2002
Bargin Hunter "lexusdcs" (Charlotte NC United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this book because my mother is dying and I needed to know more. Kessler has a wonderful way of delivering this knowledge. He is thorough in imparting this knowledge and does so with total compassion for the dying and the living. I underscored many passages in this work and especially appreciated someone telling me (chapter 8) what can I expect in the way of physical signs as mom goes through the dying process. This book is very user friendly having a very readable quality. I strongly recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Give to friends dealing with family final illnesses, October 26, 2000
ANN (LOS ANGELES, CA United States) - See all my reviews
As a baby boomer, I have more and more friends dealing with their own illnesses or with the terminal illnesses of their friends and parents. I have ordered a stock of Mr. Kessler's book to give to them. It offers helpful advice on how to communicate in a compassionate and loving way--whether you are suffering from your own illness and trying to find a way to talk about it or trying to talk to dying friends or family. It is extraordinarily difficult to know how to approach the subject of dying--this book is a godsend.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book was a wonderful gift, November 20, 2002
Marianne DiBlasi (Winchester, MA United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this book when my Dad was entering into the final few months of his life and I wanted to go through this final chapter of his life with him in a meaningful way. David Kessler provides information on the needs of the dying in a kind, compassionate and truthful way. I find knowledge to be comforting and grounding. If you do also, this book will be a special gift to yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish I had read this book sooner !, March 1, 2006
I have loved Kübler -Ross's work and bought this book when I bought "On Grief and Grieving" by her and David Kessler. I have had it by my bed for months now. I thought that Kübler Ross's last book with Kessler is one of the best books on Grief I have ever read. Now after reading "The Needs of the Dying" I am so sorry I waited so long to read it. Any one who has a loved one with a terminal illness needs this book. It begins with how to deal with the diagnosis, the importance of hope and very helpful tips on getting the help you need from the medical system. It has two great chapters on dealing with pain and preventing unnecessary suffering. There is great information on medications and the fear of addiction. It has sections on advanced directives and how to use them in the hospital situation. What I loved the most is it gives you the information that the doctors and nurses don't always have time to explain. Beside the vital medical information it just has great suggestions on how to have the hard conversations. There are great stories with examples on what to say and not to say to children and insightful information on spirituality. David even talks about people having visions as they near death. It also tenderly describes what to expect at the end. It helps you feel like you can have some control in a situation that makes you feel you have lost all control. I wish I had this book when my loved one was dying. I know this is not a book that anyone wants to read, but if you find yourself in this situation , do not wait to read this book. I now know why Mother Teresa, Marianne Williamson and Elisabeth Kübler Ross and my friends felt this book was important. I highly recommend it. Don't miss the comfort it will bring you and your loved ones.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Godsend., March 6, 2002
By A Customer
A must-read for anyone who is experiencing the death of a loved one. This book really helps you understand what your father or mother or other loved one is experiencing, and gives you practical suggestions for how to deal with all the emotions YOU might be experiencing. Beautifully written and easy to read without a bunch of psycho-babble.
Thank you David Kessler.

5.0 out of 5 stars a guide in life's final chapter, December 14, 2003
By A Customer
The Needs of the Dying addresses the physical and emotional needs of the terminally ill. It is an easy to read guide that examines what the dying need for a peaceful death. This book is appropriate for family and friends of the dying. It expresses what the dying would want us to understand about their journey but could not tell us.

2.0 out of 5 stars Most will probably find this book useful but it left me annoyed., August 12, 2007
This review is from: The Needs of the Dying: A Guide for Bringing Hope, Comfort, and Love to Life's Final Chapter (Paperback)
First I want to say that there are a number of good points and areas of this book that will provide comfort to many. BUT for those who are well read on the subject of death and dying this book leaves a bit to be desired. I think I could have been more invested in this book if the author had written it from something other than the "I" perspective..,to use a previous reviewers term. Additionally, it could have been much more inclusive of people who either don't believe in any god or believe in a different spiritual or emotional guide in their lives. Some of the analogies are a bit cheesy and I found myself doing a bit of eye rolling and saying "give me a break". The issue of dying is emotional enough without needing to add empty sentiment such as ...the loss of a grain of sand impacts the world. A bit much for my taste. For a more inclusive and less self-absorbed perspective I would recommend Final Gifts over this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Indispensable!, March 7, 2007
Gail A. Andrews (Southern California) - See all my reviews
This is the book that has guided and supported me as a hospice social worker over the past 8 years. Kessler brings clarity and wisdom about the needs of the dying that can be used by everyone involved in the process, including the dying individual and their loved ones. My copy is so dog eared, highlighted and annotated, I bought another copy today. I also appreciate how well the book is organized. I never fail to find an answer to a question I am thinking about or some wit or wisdom to help me solve a problem with a patient. Thank you, David, for writing this book! Anyone interested in "bringing hope, comfort and love to life's final chapter" will find much to help them in this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful..., September 11, 2005
ellen (Detroit, MI) - See all my reviews
What a beautifully written book about death and the dying process. I only wish that I had been able to read this and so many more like it when my beloved mother was going through the dying process. I would have been able to understand so much better just what she was trying to communicate to me.

One never knows when death will come or how it will come to us. Hopefully, we will be prepared to deal with it long before its' arrival as well during the actual dying process.

If readers enjoy this book, they will surely love "Grant Me My Final Wish: A personal journal to simplify life's inevitable journey." This beautifully done book by Renata Vestevich allows us to begin preparing for that inevitable day right now while we are still able to communicate. If you find it difficult to verbalize your final wishes, then this diary/journal will allow you to do just that. Not only does it allow you to step-by-step communicate your final wishes, it is a beautiful place to store your precious written as well as photographic memories. These two authors have allowed us to be well prepared for that final journey. I cannot thank them enough!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Needs of the Dying, and the living, too, April 15, 2007
J. Saffell (Northern California) - See all my reviews
This book thankfully arrived the week before my Mother died of fast moving Adult Leukemia (AML). She made the decision to enter hospice and was gone within a week.

This book was a true godsend to me as the caregiver, for navigating the emotional minefield that accompanies home hospice care. Focusing on the emotional needs of the dying, it helps the living understand what is happening. It helps the caregiver meet the emotional needs of both the person being cared for and themselves.

If you only read one book when a loved one makes the decision to do hospice, then read this one. Other books focus on the nuts and bolts of 'doing' i.e. how to get the best care, how to handle the paperwork, etc. This book focuses on 'feeling', on handling the emotions of those facing death and dying. You'll need it. Order it first as it will really, really help.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›