Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Nothing But Thieves All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Lisa Loeb AMO Shop Now Sale

Format: HardcoverChange

on May 20, 2014
Ms. Campbell has written a tremendous tribute to and overview of the work of (and the man himself) author Neil Gaiman. She does so from the point of view of being a good friend of his, and with a tremendous amount of affection for him and his work. As an insider, she had access to his archives, and is also acquainted with many of people featured in the book.

The book is filled with scans of photos and drawings and hand-written pages of things that became part of Neil's work. The stories are incredibly detailed and specific about what he was drawing on when writing certain things and how they came together. Nothing is missed. There is a short piece on his book about Neil's Duran Duran book called "The First Four Years Of The Fab Five" which Neil probably doesn't care much for but Cambell says "But it's there in his library, in the dark corner just to the right of the jackalope...". There's another section about the Babylon 5 episode he wrote, "Day of the Dead".

This biography is chock full of Gaiman's stories and reminiscences and sketches on hotel note pads and paper napkins. It's wonderful to read about the behind-the-scenes stuff that went into the works of his that I know. And there are a few others that I've never heard of, that I'll probably go out and buy now.

If you like Neil's work, this biography will be a great read. I highly recommend it.

As for its author, Hayley Campbell, I hope her next book will be out sooner than 4 years from now.
0Comment33 of 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 23, 2014
I bought this book for my wife who is a huge Neil Gaiman fan and she loves it. It's full of all sorts of cool little tidbits on the way Gaiman's mind works, insights into his imagination, and shows oodles never before seen art. One word of caution: if you buy this as a gift for someone in your family, be forewarned, they will disappear with it and spend hours perusing the pages... hungry family notwithstanding... time to order pizza... :D
on May 23, 2014
Miss Campbell has very obviously gone to great lengths and put a lot of work into this wonderful tome. So many insights into Mr. Gaiman's thoughts, his scribbles, his doodles, notes and sketches you will find nowhere else reside within the pages of this incredible book. Fans of Neil Gaiman as well as artists and aspiring writers will be astonished at how much they get out of owning this book. I have read it cover to cover three times already and I find something new and astounding every time. I love that Miss Campbell put this book together, and I suggest she do it for other beloved authors as well. Stephen King, J.K.Rowling, James Patterson, George R. R. Martin, and many others: we would love to see books like this one for those authors!
If you want a huge peek into the imagination of Neil Gaiman, presented in a wonderfully delightful way, buy this book. You won't be disappointed. I guarantee it :-)
on May 5, 2015
One of the most pleasing-to-look-at art books I have. The information is beautifully arranged so each page looks like a work of art. Before I could read as a child, I have a distinct memory of PRETENDING to be a wizard reading from books where information was arranged artfully and with a variety of fonts. For that reason, this artbook is personally endearing, but also is packed full of inspiration and some actually very handy information on connectivity in the art community.
on April 21, 2015
This book should have been called "the life and work of Neil Gaiman," as the title was somewhat misleading. Of course, this book is all about the art of Neil Gaiman, but it contains so much more that has to do with the overall performance of his art, his rise to fame, the work it took to become the literary juggernaut that he is today, and his process collaborating with artists, writers, agents, Hollywood, and his own life. Full of illustrations and original notebook pages, this book is an incredibly beautiful compendium of the man's life and work, obsessively compiled and beautifully presented by Hayley Campbell and ILEX.

Highly recommended to anyone planning on being (or who is) a writer. The ins and outs of his professional career, insights into his technique, and his navigation of the business side of all things writing were illuminating and honest. Campbell brings the audience on the inside to see what Gaiman does, and how that has helped Neil Gaiman to be Neil Gaiman.

Perhaps the major thing I couldn't stand about this book was the fact that i saw it in the bookstore when it had come out and had no interest in it, thinking that it was about his visual art (which is messy and hotel-napkin-y, something the book honestly reiterates) and the visual art of his collaborators. Of course, it has nothing to do with that (well, partially, yes), and the simple marketing of the title choice made me ignore it until I literally read a review of it that stated it was about what I had already mentioned.

What I really liked about the book was learning about how he became who he is today, and the work and methodology of his life where he literally said that he was going to drop everything one day and become a writer no matter the cost. That said, with the series of events that follow, it is no wonder he has become successful - hard work and networking is what everyone says begins a successful career, and Gaiman has nailed. I also enjoyed reading about his relationships with some of my beloved literary figures such as Terry Pratchett (and how they came to collaborate), Douglas Adams, and many others. I probably was most bored with some of the more minutiae of the comics business, being more a fan of his written work (with the huge exception of Sandman), but I understand how necessary that is in discussing his career and work. In terms of that, I even found a sliver of useful information in reading about his methods of writing the comic scripts.

Overall a very interesting, totally mistitled book. Fans of Gaiman, comics, hollywood adaptation, and writers in general must read it. Hilariously, fans looking for an art book will probably be disappointed.The book is gorgeous, and incredibly well made, though. As a writer, artist, and fan, I enjoyed it.
on May 18, 2015
I purchased this book as a gift for a friend who loves Neil Gaiman. It's a beautiful book that covers just about everything that Neil Gaiman has done. I recommend it to anyone who is interested in incredibly talented man!
on July 10, 2014
The Art of Neil Gaiman by Hayley Campbell is a beautifully written and crafted tribute to the talented man, Neil Gaiman. Written by a friend who had access to his personal archives and stories, this is definitely a book that any fan of Neil Gaiman will appreciate for years to come!

The Art of Neil Gaiman is the type of book that once someone gets, they cherish it. If you want to give someone a book as a gift that is a fan of Mr. Gaiman, this will be a present that they will love! It is the high quality that can be shown off as a coffee table book, displayed in a bookcase, or sit on the nightstand for enjoyable reading after a day’s work.

I was a fan of his work before I read this book, but now I am even more of a fan and want to read and see more of his work! This book is in full color and has hundreds of illustrations, pictures, and scans of mementos that you’ll find while reading it. Ms. Campbell does an excellent job creating a world in a book for us to explore the artwork of this talented man, and I’m sure I’ll have fun going through it over and over again for many years. I highly recommend it!

* Thank you to the publisher of The Art of Neil Gaiman, Harper Design, for providing me with a copy of this book for review. All opinions expressed are my own.
on October 21, 2014
This is a solid archive and biography. It's in chronological order, divided by the work (a chapter on Good Omens, a chapter on Sandman and so forth), and the photo quality for the artwork, sketches, and notes is excellent. The main drawback is, the author, Haley Campbell, borrows a lot from already existing articles and interviews. While it's nice to have some iconic interviews with Gaiman all in one place, for the serious fan who is more likely to be interested in the book in the first place, it gets a little redundant. That is, I've read or watched most of those interviews already, and I suspect many other fans have as well.

Conversely, the best parts of the book are Campbell's original interviews and thoughts on Gaiman. Clearly they are very close, and her writing style is eloquent and interesting. The beginning and ending essays are the best, and they bookend the tome on a solid note.

Ultimately, I think this is worth it if you have a graphic novel library or if you are an ardent Neil Gaiman fan; otherwise, your milage may vary.
on February 3, 2015
A revealing look at the career, associates and artistic influences of the amazing Neil Gaiman, this book is a must read for those who've followed his life and enjoyed his work. Gaiman's candid observations and the photos and drawings make this seem more of a personal journal that chronicles his evolution. And the latter part of the book about his wife, the incomparable Amanda Palmer, are wonderful! Two thumbs up!
Do you know who Neil Gaiman is? I asked my circle and only one person, well educated and pop culture oriented, knew. Neil Gaiman is a renaissance man. He can do it all and has. He writes novels, movies and is the author of many comics. He speaks at college graduations because all those kids know who he is.
This is the definitive picture of Mr. Gaiman. It is fascinating to read how he got his start and inspiring to read that it was due to constant effort, hard work and a lot of luck. Gaiman fans will love this book and those of you who are clueless will really get an awakening.
There are many reasons to read this stunning book, the pictures throughout are awesome. The picture of a man living his dream is awesome. And if that doesn’t get you, then you will have awesome material for the next loft cocktail party.

I received this book free for review from the publisher.