5.0 out of 5 stars After 8 weeks, I can say that it works!
I bought the original Abs Diet book several years ago and intended to go on the diet but I never got around to really starting.

Eight weeks ago, I weighed 185 pounds (I'm 5' 10") and I was starting to really show some of those love handles. I knew that I didn't need to lose a ton of weight, 10-15 pounds maybe.

After being on the diet for 8 weeks,...
Published on June 23, 2011 by J. Adatto

3.0 out of 5 stars Terrible on Kindle
Published on July 19, 2011 by Rider

5.0 out of 5 stars After 8 weeks, I can say that it works!, June 23, 2011

After being on the diet for 8 weeks, I've lost 11 pounds and I'm still losing weight. I've probably lost more than that amount in fat since the goal of this diet is to put on a few pounds of muscle. My love handles are almost gone and my abs are starting to show.

The best part of this diet is that I'm never really craving all of those bad foods. Eating tasty yet nutritious food six times a day and a cheat meal once (OK, for me maybe twice) a week is more than enough to satisfy my cravings.

Two small drawbacks: The healthy foods (fruit, veggies, low fat dairy, poultry, etc.) tend to be more expensive than the bad food (candy bars, pasta, hot dogs, etc.). Also, eating six small meals requires a little planning to make sure that you always have them so you won't take a trip to the convenience store for a Snickers bar.

People who want to lose weight the healthy way and, more importantly, improve their overall health should definately try this.

3.0 out of 5 stars Terrible on Kindle, July 19, 2011
This is a very good book, however Kindle is absolutely the wrong format for it. Some books must be in hard copy, and this is one of them. Time and again, there are helpful demonstrative graphs and charts showing foods, diets, nutritional values and they simply get chopped off in the Kindle alignment. Also, this book is a TOOL. All books like these are tools for you to use. You may read the book but after that, you read from it. You must flip around, look at a chart, use an exercise plan, then pull a few diets, then the power foods list. Kindle doesn't support this.

Well written, but wait the extra few days and spend a few extra bucks for a paperback edition. You will get the full value of this excellent source of information and diet plan.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's not a diet, it's a way of life., August 5, 2012
This review is from: The New Abs Diet: The 6-Week Plan to Flatten Your Stomach and Keep You Lean for Life (Hardcover)
Being a part of the internet generation, I'm sceptical about most things I see and read on the web.
However, this book has changed my life. Not in the way that I woke up one day and way mysteriously transformed from head to toe, but in my understanding of how your body works.
After the first year of college I was stuck with the dreaded 'Freshman 15'. Only it was more something along the lines of 25.

I wasn't really overweight, just very bulky. I enjoy sports a lot and had field hockey practice, swimming sessions and jogging sessions during the week. However, none of this worked due to my lack of understanding of how your body processes food, and how to build muscle effectively in order to destroy fat. The pounds didn't go away, I was merely working on my physical condition and endurance. This book changed my whole view on that.

Your college years are by no means easy years in terms of weight management. Irregular hours and even more irregular sleeping patterns. Unhealthy food and midnight snacks all around. Let all of that sip in the most alcohol-infused time of your life and you've probably got one of the most unhealthiest regimes in the world. So I decided to grab this book.

The key to the success of this book is that it doesn't say like other diets 'Do this, eat that.' It explains you WHY you SHOULD eat this, and not that. It tells you what happens when you eat this, it tells you what happens when you eat that. I believe the success of the whole diet is in that. After reading all of the facts and studies David presents you with, it makes a mental click. You are going to WANT to follow his instructions, just for your physical wellbeing. Unline other diets, you won't be looking at the diet like a teenager looking at homework. You won't try to find every single chore just to procrastinate and avoid starting it. You are just going to get to work.

The book doesn't do magic. It isn't packed with magical formulas, and you're not going to wake up one day transformed. What it does however, is provide you with a HUGE list of healthy foods, their nutritional aspects and what they do to your body, and why they're good for you. If you're like me and almost never ate breakfast due to a lack of time and/or envy, the powershake recipes are going to be a game-changer.

One of the biggest critiques I read in other reviews about this diet is that it doesn't define a 4-6-10-52 week meal and exercise plan and therefor isn't really a diet. Once again, I believe therein lies the success of it. It doesn't obligate you to follow a fixed set of food rules, nor a meal plan. It educates your mind about what you're eating and what you should eat. It lets you make conscious choices out of a list of foods that are good for you, and that will constitute a healthy meal. Therefor it doesn't feel like you're following a diet, it feels like you're bettering yourself and therefore you'll never feel like you're on a diet. This leads in the fact that you won't have the urge (like when you're on other diets) to go 'off' the diet. In the long run, you'll incorporate his advise in your everyday life and that'll bring balance.

Off course, there are examples of 6-week meal plans you could follow if you really want to, so you're set if that's what you're after.

The 6-week plan to see your abs might be a little liberal. After 6 weeks I didn't see mine, but that's allright. What it did however, was lose 4,5" of my waistline, I dropped 23 pounds, and my body fat percentage dropped from 22% to 14%. I combined the plan with regular exercise, which led to increased speed results. This has been a revolution for me. As I said before, you'll just keep working towards the ab-revealing-goal, because if you're like me, you're never want to go 'off' the diet, since it allows you to make your food choices, and therefor you'll never feel like you're on one.

The first couple of days are the toughest because you eat 6 times a day which is counter-intuitive, but after the 4th day I started noticing changes in my body. I usually had bowel movements every 3-4 days but after the 4th day I had daily movements which lead to a light feeling, and a general increase in energy. The more your body flushes away, the more you're burning away fat because your metabolism has increased. It's the first sign that the fat-burning-furnace has been ignited.

I bought the 2004 and 2010 versions of this book. The 2010 'New Abs Diet' claims to have more research and stuff, but I'd skip this version and buy the 2004 version. All the 2010 version adds are a few recipes and some research, but nothing really important. With the couple of bucks I saved I bought the New Abs Diet Cookbook (or what it's called) which is far more useful and jampacked with healthy recipes.

All in all I can say this book changed my life. I didn't wake up one day transformed, but I now know what I eat. I know how to eat. I know what to eat. The 12 powerfoods section is fantastic. I lost a hell of a lot of weight and never felt on a diet.

Mad props David, mad props!

5.0 out of 5 stars Get Healthy, January 16, 2013
I'm on a mission to get healthy and most definitely recommend this book to everyone! Just a little FYI...this is the very plan that the marines use to get in shape and stay that way, so consider how very healthy and muscular they are and that should help motivate you as it did me to get up and get moving!

2.0 out of 5 stars Lots of info, no real "plan", April 12, 2012
This is a great informational book, but you could get the same general information for free at a recent CNN.com article about superfoods. They layout of this book is sort of jumbled -- there are articles pasted right in the middle of a chapter. Also, there is no actual 6-week plan. The author gives a one-week "suggested" diet plan, and a bunch of recipes, but that's it. You have to build the plan yourself.

I think what I dislike the most is the exercise guide. Again, there is no set plan, just a one-week "suggested" workout guide. Problem is, a lot of the workouts require workout machines. In other words, you need a gym membership, or an expensive home gym system. That's not me -- I'm a guy on a budget, just downgraded my cell phone and cable to save some extra bucks each month. I don't have the money for a gym membership, and I'm willing to bet I'm not alone on this. It would have been nice to see some alternatives.

5.0 out of 5 stars The NEW! Abs Diet, December 25, 2012
I am still losing fat and I gain muscles. I never look better than before. I don't believe that the first time I bought the right book for my health and my life forever. I follow the right things in the NEW! Abs Diet. I eat more fruits and vegetables, Salmon for lunch and dinner, snack is 3 kind of nuts for Men's Health.
I would recommend this book to anyone who loves to see his/her body look good and healthy forever.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not specific at all for men, October 27, 2012
I purchased this book along with the Abs diet for women for a coworker last week. I noticed they are about the same except for one important thing. There is NO guidelines for daily calorie intake according to height, wieght, bmi etc. The women's edition however has it all down to the T. Daily calorie intake etc. Its almost like that whole 2 pages were accidentally left out of the men's editon. 1/2 of the book is success stories and "study after study after study" It lays out the foods to eat and when i guess but, other then saying a man needs 1 gram of protein per pound of weight, which I assume most men already know. Eat smart 5 or 6 times a day, do cardio everyother day, Strength training 3 or so days a week, and put the money you would spend on this book towards some protein powder.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed review, June 16, 2014
It's pretty hard for a diet to walk the line between prescribing every bite you eat and offering a complex theory on what kind of units, points, etc. to craft a mix for yourself in order to lose weight. Maybe there's just no clear answer. Actually, I liked the general list of things to incorporate this diet stipulates. The problem is, that's pretty much a list what I'm already eating and unless I missed something, there is no clear guideline on quantities to use within the list, even such as servings/day. They do give a sample weekly plan which does look sparser than probably most of us would make up without concentrating, but only one week. So it's a sane book but you'll have to be very much on your own in applying the principles. As for a lot of us, if we were great at that, we wouldn't have a problem in the first place! Oh, and there is a reliance on smoothies which I don't gravitate towards due to the mess of constantly cleaning the blender. So I gave myself a zero, and the plan a 5, averaging a 3.

3.0 out of 5 stars It is the same book as the first one, February 16, 2014
I bought the first abs diet book long time ago, this one is almost the same but with some new recipes. The reason I give this book 3 stars is because I really liked the first one, I remember reading it when I was 17 years old and I actually loose like 20 pounds and that is how I was introduced to the "fitness world". The diet is easy to follow and from all the books (around10) about lossing weight that I read, this one is my favourite because the food you eat is pretty normal and you will not feel that you are starving like with those paleo diet books that you can't even eat a slice of bread because it is not paleo, F that! I also tried the 4 hour body slow carb diet in the book of Tim Ferris and if you want to loose weight fast that diet would be a better choice, but again eating beans three times a day? I can remember all the farts and having to drive with the windows open. In conclusion this is the best diet or eating habits for long term.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, February 10, 2013
A very informative book, it really helps with the ground work for living a healthier life. It shows you don't have to starve to look great. I lost 25 lbs of fat and look amazing.

$25.99 $10.40