Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The New Arthritis Breakthrough: The Only Medical Therapy Clinically Proven to Produce Long-term Improvement and Remission of RA, Lupus, Juvenile RS, ... & Other Inflammatory Forms of Arthritis
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on December 6, 1999
If you have found this page you are, or you care about, an arthritis patient. You should read this book. I did, and after 27 years with severe psoriatic arthritis, my life is totally changed: after ten months on doxycycline, swelling, pain and fatigue are almost gone, and normal strength is coming back to me. What makes this book especially valuable is its description of Dr. Brown's many extraordinarily perceptive insights about arthritis, both physical and especially psychological aspects. After 5 knee surgeries and uncountable drugs I was reluctant to even try another new treatment- he understood that, and much more that I immediately identified with. This treatment may not work for everybody, but it is so safe and cheap, everyone should consider it carefully. This book gives you what you need to know (and what your doctor probably doesn't know, unfortunately). Thank you, Dr. Brown, and Henry Scammell! Note added 6/26/07: I'm still on doxycycline, and doing great- I row for exercise now and it feels wonderful.
33 comments|132 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 22, 2002
Dr. Brown is a guardian angel to every RA sufferer on this earth. His work, which Henry Scammell describes in this book, has freed many of us from our prisons of pain. I found out about Dr. Brown's protocol early on, so I was able to follow the treatment outlined in "The New Arthritis Breakthrough" early in the onset of my disease. When I was at my worst, it took me 30 minutes each morning to loosen up my shoulders, knees and hands to the point where I could get out of bed and function. Any use of my hands in the early morning would cause searing pains to shoot up my arms. I was at the point that I could barely use a gas pump even with both hands.

Within six months of starting on the protocol outlined in Mr. Scammell's book, my SED rate dropped by 50%, I mowed my lawn, golfed, I didn't tire easily and I had full use of my hands. After 1.5 years my SED rate was 20 and my anemia was gone. Now, after 2.5 years on the protocol, my SED rate is 15 and recent x-rays indicate no joint damage. I've gone from having pain in my feet, ankles, knees, hands, wrists, elbows, shoulders, neck and jaw, to almost completely pain free. I don't even take anti-inflammatories any longer.

When I suspected that I had RA, I started investigating the disease. I saw that the possibility for a fulfilling future looked dim. But now, after following the protocol in "The New Arthritis Breakthrough," I have a great future ahead of me.

Please, regardless of what your physician tells you, read this book. If your doctor will not provide this treatment for you, find a new doctor. No RA -- or scleroderma, lupus, etc. -- sufferer has to endure the pain any longer.
1111 comments|107 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 8, 2000
I was diagnosed with RA a month before my 40th birthday, and was fortunate enough to find this book (under its original title, The Road Back from RA) within 24 hours of my diagnosis. I was also fortunate enough to have a doctor who is a dear and caring friend, and who was willing to let me try this treatment. The pain and depression were devastating, and the loss of muscle tone left me weak, but within weeks of starting the antibiotic treatment I saw tremendous improvement. I continued to improve and have never once reverted back to the severity of the initial onset.
I am now 46 years old - I know there is a lot of negativity about the "misuse" of antibiotics, but the only other choice I was offered was at least 10 years of what essentially amounted to chemotherapy. When I read the book six years ago, they never promised me a cure - but they held out to me the hope of minimizing the damage to my body and achieving remission without the use of dangerous drugs with terrible side effects.
I have been in remission for some time now. I have to be careful about what I do - I keep my antibiotics handy in case I overdo the lawn work, or my exercise. But a year ago I had to have surgery for a knee injury unrelated to the RA and the orthopaedic surgeon, who is a sports surgeon, said that the rest of my knee and the cartilage looked so smooth and clear that he would never have guessed that I had had RA for five years. 'nough said.
11 comment|64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 13, 2003
Excellent book! I first read about antibiotic treatment for rheumatic diseases on the internet and was highly skeptical. After learning about this book and seeing all the 5-star reviews of it on amazon, I decided to acquire a copy and see what all the fuss was about. This book will show you (in non-technical language) how a pioneering physician (who deserves the Nobel Prize) arrived at the use of antibiotics to treat rheumatic diseases, and how to use the antibiotics. Some of the personal stories in this book are heart-breaking but have a happy outcome thanks to the treatment described in the book. After reading this book, I began using antibiotics to treat my psoriatic arthritis and have been on them for several months. I wanted to weep with gratitude when my mood and energy level improved dramatically, and I haven't slept this well in years. Thank you, Dr. Brown!!

**UPDATE JULY 2011**
i have been using this protocol for years now, with no apparent ill effects. My rheumatologist has reduced my dose and thinks i may be able to discontinue its use soon. I go to the gym five days a week, for an hour and a half each time. I have gobs of energy, even though i am over 50. Discontinued the NSAID i had been using. Gave away the cane i used on occasion when i knew i would need to get up from te floor.
33 comments|51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 15, 2000
I am so happy that a friend let me borrow this book to discover that there is hope. I am 25 and have been diagnosed with RA for over 5 years. Like everyone else that gets this terrible disease, I have struggled tremendously. Over the years I have experienced a new feeling, that of utter hopelessness. Not only does RA cause joint pain and inflammation, it also causes a serious depression that most people do not want to admit to anyone. I almost died due to an allergic reaction to a sulfa-based drug that my doctor was trying out. He never warned me of possible side effects and after a month of using Azulfadine, I was lying in the emergency room with a white blood cell count of 400 and a fever of 104.5 degrees Farenheit. I have felt this dark void in my life caused by RA and now I am beginning to get back my old life. I started the antibiotic treatment 2 months ago and I have already cut my prednisone dosage in half. I no longer use any form of NSAID's and am completely off of Methotrexate and and Arava. I still take Buspar for the anxiety caused by the Prednisone. I hope to be off all drugs and fully recovered by the end of the summer. This book is a great source of information. It has taught me much about my disease and what I can do to cure it or at least put it into remission. Please read it and share it with anyone you know that is afflicted with a Rheumatic disease. I only wish Dr. Brown were alive, so that I could thank him for giving me hope.
on August 1, 2007
I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis at 33 years old. I grew up very healthy and active. In September 2005, I had my second child, a girl. I was 32 years old. During both pregnancies I had hyperemesis gravidarum, which means extreme nausea and vomiting during pregnancy. In October and November of 2005, I had two root canals (I ruined my teeth from vomiting during pregnancy). My immune system was down because I had just had a baby (the immune system lowers as to not reject the fetus), I was getting very little sleep with a newborn, and I had just had two root canals, the perfect entrance for bacteria. In December 2005, the balls of my feet began to ache. By the beginning of January 2006, I knew something was wrong. I did some investigating later and found out I had a great aunt with Scleroderma and three second cousins with RA. There are also a lot of allergies and asthma in my family, indicating a pattern of hypersensitive immune systems. (I always thought I was the lucky one in the family who didn't get allergies. It seems my allergies have just manifested themselves in a different manner.) About a week later, I was in extreme pain and I had read a lot about RA and knew that my symptoms matched. I referred myself to a local rheumatologist. My pain had spread to over 35 joints. I was having trouble lifting my newborn baby, opening jars, turning car keys, fastening infant seats, putting on my 4-year-old's socks, brushing my teeth, washing my hair, etc. I required at least 12 hours of sleep at night, and was still tired during the day. I was very depressed. I would cry every day, usually out of frustration because I could not undo my seat belt or put on my son's socks for school. Everything that I read said this disease was progressive, degenerative and crippling. I could not imagine it getting any worse than it was! I was referred to [...] by other RA patients. I read and read. I contacted my local area contact. I told him I was considering starting Enbrel the following week. He e-mailed back that I had a choice to make. I could give antibiotics a try and possibly go into remission or get significantly better; or I could go on potentially harmful immune suppressors, which would usually eventually wear off and I would have to jump from one drug to the next. And what would happen if I ran out of drugs to try? He said there is hope in AP. With AP, I had the hope of getting better. With the other drugs, I was merely suppressing the symptoms, not getting to the root cause of the illness. I ordered the book The New Arthritis Breakthrough and started posting on the roadback board. It made much more sense than the conventional autoimmune wisdom which stated that: One random day my immune system just up and decided to attack my joints for no reason at all. I finally came to the conclusion that I did not want to just suppress my pain and symptoms. I wanted my life back. I knew that in the past I always tended to get side effects of medications and I thought I would probably be one of the 1% of people who got lymphoma, TB, or severe infection from the biologics. I knew I wanted to be alive to watch my kids grow up. It was not like I was NOT going to be treating my RA; I would be treating my RA with an American College of Rheumatology approved DMARD. I decided to try the antibiotic protocol. It was the best decision I have ever made. Within 1-2 months of being on Zithromax, the depression and fatigue had disappeared. Within 3 months, I felt 60% better. After 10 months, I was 98% back to my normal self. 18 months later, and I have only one finger that will not bend all the way into a fist (it is about an inch away). My rheumatoid factor has dropped from 282 to 28 and my CCP has dropped from it's all-time high of 153 to 55. My sed rate is 1.0 and my CRP is .3. I walk two miles a day. My feet, neck, knees, ankles, and shoulders do not hurt at all! I thank God, Dr. Thomas McPherson Brown, Henry Scammell,and The Road Back Foundation for giving me my life back!
on December 31, 2000
The information in this book is full of hope for those with autoimmune diseases: rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, scheroderma, and others. My wife was diagnosed with schleroderma ten years ago. This disease -- fatal for many -- has been put in remission by this therapy. We could not be more grateful. This book is highly recommended. Another excellent resource, on the Web, is The Road Back Foundation at [...]
on January 19, 2000
Since being diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, I have read a vast number of books about it and about different treatments. However, this book really resonates! It is well written, easy to understand, credits the reader with having intelligence, and positions its argument very well. It was also interesting to read the case studies alongside the theory of the treatment. I found it so convincing that I am going to try the treatment. I was also impressed that when I e-mailed the author to ask for Australian contacts, I received a reply a day later. An excellent book, with all possible aspects of the treatment discussed.
on April 11, 2011
Hi,

I found a this book in Fall 2009, 4.5 months after my RA/UCTD symptoms first began in May 2009, a month after my 26th birthday. I was in the midst of training for half-marathon, and at first I though I had just overtrained, but it soon became clear as my symptoms quickly progressed that it was something much more serious. After seeing many specialist, I was diagnosed with RA and prescribed methotrexate. However, after researching methotrexate, I wanted desperately to find an alternative. I began to look for alternative therapies, and I was lucky to come across this book "The New Arthritis Breakthrough". Reading the reviews gave me so much hope, because many people were saying they got better with the treatment this book recommended. I ordered the book, and found that it made very convincing case for AP (Antibiotic Protocol), and the thoery of why it works so well for so many people with these types of autoimmune conditions. I contacted RoadBack.org to find an a practitioner who had experience using this treatment. I live in Oregon, and the closest AP experienced physician to me, is in Southern California. Quite a trek, but my condition had become so severe and painful there was no question of whether or not I should go. I called and scheduled and appointment, and for the months prior survived with some prednisone and cortisone shots, which barely kept me functioning. Seriously, I was in so much pain I could barely walk, chew my food, and couldn't even wash or brush my hair; it was terrible. I also tried many naturopathic approaches in the meantime, but nothing made a noticeable difference. Finally, in January 2010 I headed off for my appointment in California, in a wheelchair. The diagnosis I was given was UCTD and RA, and my doctor placed me on AP, and a variety of supplements.

I began responding to treatment within 6 months, and now after over 12 months on AP, I am walking normally, functioning well, and my blood panels continue to show steady improvement. These improvements have allowed me to gain back some normalcy in my life. If you read other reviews on here, you'll see that there are some people who were on Metho and other treatments for years, who struggled very much before trying AP; and now they are doing very well. I am extremely happy with the outcome of the treatment thus far, and feel VERY fortunate I found this option early on in my diagnosis; otherwise I believe I would still be very disabled, and suffering a great deal. I still have a lot of struggles, and having RA and UCTD is still very difficult, but comparitively looking back on where I have come from, I am doing so much better.

I highly recommend this book to anyone with UCTD, Lupus, RA, or other similar diseases to at least look into this option. I hope my story and testimony is helpful to someone out there who is looking for relief from these devastating diseases. I can't say it will work for everyone as well as it has for me, but with all the positive results it has provided some people, it is certainly worth a try.
44 comments|19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 31, 1999
My Rheumatoid Arthritis started in August of 1997 and by September of 1998, I was having one to two flares a week that left me bedridden, drained and in more pain that I thought possible. My doctor had tried many drugs - prednisone from the start - to methotexate (with serious side effects)and nothing worked or brought relief - other than heavy pain killers. Then I found this book while I was trying to do research - I read it - contacted the Road Back Foundation -and went to my doctor well prepared. She wanted me to try Arava but I insisted on trying minocin and she reluctantly gave in. I started 2/16/99 and had a bad flare on 2/19 & 20. I have been pain free ever since! I stopped prednisone 2/17/99. I used to have a feeling that my bones felt broken all the time -I was afraid someone would bump into me or I would fall. I don't have that feeling any more! It gave me back my life!! I'm just lucky that I found the book by chance - otherwise I'd be trying even more drugs that were AWFUL! Knowledge is power and this is the most powerful book I've ever read! Please buy the book for yourself or someone you love - this is an awful disease and a terrible way to live....and you can find the road back to your old life.