Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc blink-182 Fire TV Stick Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on June 15, 2001
When I was pregnant with my second child, I looked long and hard for good books to introduce to our 2 yr. old son the idea of a new baby arriving. I was surprised that, of all the ones I saw, this is far and away the best -- at least for the 2-4 yr. old crowd. This book helps them understand what to expect from a baby (for instance, not an instant playmate, and lots of crying) and what they can do with a baby (snuggle, give her a finger to grab, take her for a walk in the stroller). For an excellent book on reassuring your child that he or she won't be losing out on Mommy's love, try "On Mother's Lap," by Ann Herbert Scott (wonderful illustrations, too). My son still enjoys these books, a year-and-a-half later.
0Comment|197 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 30, 2001
I bought this book and two others in an attempt to prepare my son for the birth of his sister. He was 22 months when she was born. The other books ordered were too sophisticated for him. This book was a hit - he requested it every night before and after she was born. I liked that it used short simple language to explain what it would be like with the baby around and gave ideas to the older sibling for ways to play with the new baby. The "What to Expect" book and Calliou's book were both not as good.
on December 13, 2002
My son is 16 months old and he loves this book! It has been so helpful in trying to prepare him for becoming a big brother. Even though he is young, we are able to tell him about what babies can and cannot do so he will be ready when his brother arrives. I think out of all the books we bought, we will be able to reinforce more about babies with this book than any of the others. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who needs to prepare a child for a new siblings arrival!
on July 15, 2002
This is such a cute book...I found it when looking for some book to get for my son to help him get ready for the arrival of his little sister...what I really liked was how it explained how the baby wouldn't be able to really do anything right away...that was very helpful because of course my son who is 2 thought that his sister would be able to play with him and everything right away...but after reading his books he realized she was going to be a little baby and wouldn't be able to do everything he wanted...he is now very excited for his sister to get here and he loves reading it...he now likes to read it to us...definatly a perfect book for either the Big Brother or the Bid Sister.
on September 1, 1998
Do you have a new addition to the family coming, or already here? For young children this might be just the thing to help them know they are not alone in joining the ranks of big brother or big sister. My young daughter still reads this book several times a week, and her baby brother is now a year old! This book does not give any hints of sibling rivalry or jealousy, which I appreciated very much. It only introduces little critters new baby and begins answering the question, what can you do with a new baby?
on April 14, 1999
I thought this book was very simple and easy for my 2 year old to understand. It addresses things big brother/sister can and can't do with the new baby. It lets the older child know that the baby will cry alot, sleep alot and do little else. I was pleased with the level on which the book was written.
on December 4, 2007
My toddler loves Little Critter so I ordered this thinking it would help prepare him for his new sibling. I wish I had checked it out at the library first. The parents tell LC about the baby the day before she comes home (was Mrs Critter never pregnant?) and when she arrives she looks and acts like a 4+ month old baby, not a newborn infant. She also only gets a bottle, which may confuse your child if you breastfeed/fed. My son thought they were giving the baby a bottle of glue. I would look this over at the library or bookstore before purchasing it.
88 comments|54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 1, 2001
After looking at many different books to prepare my 2 year old daughter for a new brother, this was the best one! It didn't get into where babies come from, but more about what a sibling can do with a new baby and what to expect.
VINE VOICEon May 16, 2016
When Dad says a new baby is coming home, big brother gets ready to show her all his favorite games and books. When she arrives and isn't interested in those things, he's a little disappointed. He wonders what he can do with her. When Mom tells him, things get much better.

The New Baby is a simple story that will help children understand what their role will be in the new baby's life. It gives great ideas for how to play with the baby as well. The text is easy to understand, and the illustrations of the characters are entertaining and humorous. Recommended for children ages 3-7.

-Sherry Ellis
Author of That Baby Woke Me Up, AGAIN!
on August 10, 2003
We got this book for our 15 month old when we found out we were having another baby. He absolutely loves this book! He carries it around and even sleeps with it in his crib. Even though he's really young, he is very careful with the thin pages. This book is great!