4.0 out of 5 stars Better Guide Than Cookbook
The history of the profiled restaurants and food scene in Brooklyn is excellent, but the recipes (based on dishes from those restaurants) tend to be more restaurant-style dishes than being something the home chef might cook, and are often not the best dishes from those restaurants.
Published on January 16, 2011 by waetherman

3.0 out of 5 stars Neat but....
Published on March 3, 2012 by jencogo

4.0 out of 5 stars Better Guide Than Cookbook, January 16, 2011
This review is from: The New Brooklyn Cookbook: Recipes and Stories from 31 Restaurants That Put Brooklyn on the Culinary Map (Hardcover)

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written, good read, fantastic recipes, February 4, 2011
We've tried about five of the recipes in this book so far, and have planned to try just about every other one in the near future. I've loved reading about these places and people, and the recipes have ranged from as easy as a 30 minute meal, but waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay tastier, to as complex as a using every pot in the kitchen type meal. We have loved them all! We try to cook about one recipe a week out of this book, and as soon as we are done eating, we are always so excited to choose the next recipe! Love, love, LOVE this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Neat but...., March 3, 2012
I've been cooking from many cookbooks for the last 3 years and although I LOVE the concept of this book and adore these restaurants, so far I'm finding that the recipes are really difficult for the home cook. Not only do the require many specialty ingredients, but some techniques like the gnocchi are a bit advanced or maybe a bit inconvenient I should say. (AND it's a little too obvious that they left out the secret ingredient). Otherwise I'll come back to you in a few months and let you know how the rest of my experience progresses..but generally I give this book a good review as it pushes the home cook out of the box so to speak and reinforces us to eat farm fresh and locally!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Viva Brooklyn!, October 6, 2010
christine (Brooklyn, NY United States) - See all my reviews
These are the best restaurants in Brooklyn! Kind of amazing they're all here. My copy arrived today and I can't stop looking at it. It captures the Brooklyn of the moment, the Brooklyn I'm proud to live in, the Brooklyn that is leading a food revolution. I feel like there's a lot of snark about Brooklyn these days, especially from Manhattan, and what comes across in this book is a real sincerity and kinship among chefs and purveyors to pursue and celebrate the value of process. It's not a phony movement and this is not a phony book cashing in on a phenomenon. It looks great too. Love the map on the inside cover. Can't wait to try the recipes. I really want to try pickling watermelon rind and braising pork belly. Although I thought I could eat anything, but I might have to draw the line at the calf's tongue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unpretencious and Utterly Wonderful, October 19, 2010
When I recently cracked open my copy, I was very happily suprised with the obvious care and love put into this book. The authors tackle a potentially snotty subject to produce a captivating exploration of Brooklyn food and all it's trappings. This is not simply a cookbook (the authors interview a local knife maker and other local but non-restaurant food people); it can be enjoyed as much more. The recipes range from the sophistacted to homey -- but all are accessible and easy to follow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brooklyn at its Best, October 14, 2010
Barbara V. (North Carolina) - See all my reviews
What a fantastic compilation of the many new restaurants in Brooklyn - a foodie's delight and a cocktail-table book to boot. The well-written vignettes about each neighborhood and restaurant make this thoroughly enjoyable reading. The recipes and photos entice you to try your hand in the kitchen and then quickly visit each restaurant to sample their other mouthwatering dishes. Kudos to the authors and the photographer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, December 27, 2010
Made the macaroni and cheese for my boyfriend the other night and he ate it several days thereafter; it was delicious. Many recipes in the book look equally appealing and not very complicated. All around a great addition, especially for the ambitious but not especially experienced cook.

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST for all foodies, October 6, 2010
Finally a book about the REAL Brooklyn food scene. Fabulous, easy-to-follow recipes allow you to recreate your favorite dishes at home. The intros on the restaurants are great, and the photos a work of art. This book is a MUST for all foodies!

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspring, nostalgic, mouth-watering, May 26, 2011
To come clean: I live in Brooklyn and I love living in Brooklyn. I'm also a dedicated home cook (and on a budget), which means that even though I bask in the existence of Brooklyn's culinary scene, I don't get to eat at its restaurants all that much.

The New Brooklyn Cookbook brought nearly every pleasure of restaurant dining home to me. I can browse (partial) menus, order off them (provided I'm willing to do the cooking), and feast. What could be better?

The photography is gorgeous, the local histories are really evocative, and the food is inspired.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, January 29, 2015
I got this for my brother so he could have a little taste of Brooklyn (which is where I live). He has made several dishes from it so far, all delicious.

$40.00 $27.09