5.0 out of 5 stars An Absolute MUST-HAVE for Every Roman Catholic!
Published on March 7, 2006 by Kino Kahona

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor Quality
Paper quality is thiner and the print is smaller and lighter in color than last edition.
Was going to use it in RCIA program, but having second thoughts. May buy previouse edition.
A.L.
Published 13 months ago by scholar

5.0 out of 5 stars An Absolute MUST-HAVE for Every Roman Catholic!, March 7, 2006
Kino Kahona (Los Angeles, California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The New Catholic Answer Bible: The New American Bible (Paperback)
Being a recent convert to the Catholic faith, I have been verbally attacked numerous times (not surprisingly) by our non-Catholic brothers and sister on my Faith and sadly it will contine. Because of this I needed an easy, carry-around-wherever-you-go resource of my Faith to defend and explain her and that is where the New Catholic Answer Bible came in. It is a wonderful book! It is the standard New American Bible version but with apologetic articles on countless subjects in between its pages. The articles are plentiful; 88 in all (compared to the original Catholic Answer Bible which had about 44) and they are short and direct to the point in explaining what Catholics believe and why! Many questions from "Why Tradtion?" to "Why Is Contraception A Sin?" makes this Bible a junior apologist's dream! Every Roman Catholic should know and be ready to defend their faith PROPERLY and this Bible will help you do that.

If you are looking for an official Catholic Bible translation and want handy apologetic explanations to defend your faith, The New Catholic Answer Bible is a blessed and rewarding choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Questions about the Catholic faith answered, August 23, 2005
Every Catholic should have a copy of this wounderful Bible .Gives you a biblical foundation for your Catholic faith . I live in the bible belt where Catholics are few and are oftened challenged about the Catholic Church and its teachings .The New Catholic Answer Bible will increase your knowledge of the bible and Catholic faith .

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST FOR EVERY CATHOLIC; TRULY UNIVERSAL, May 14, 2006
Merlin (Elkhart, IN, U. S. A.) - See all my reviews
We as Catholic Christians face the most unique times of the twenty-first century. This remarkable study bible answers many questions that many have asked about the ancient faith founded by Jesus Christ. This is rich in not only Biblical proofs but also proofs from the Catechism itself. This reinforces the ancient practice of Holy Scripture and the Holy Tradition of the Apostles as the twin pillers of the faith. As a Catholic Christian, I feel blessed by this Marvelous work and a Wonder.

5.0 out of 5 stars Armed For Battle, October 3, 2008
Although I grew up in a predominantly Catholic area (southwest Louisiana), I was raised Baptist and often felt that Catholics were odd or completely wrong in their belief system. As I grew older, I began to investigate different faiths in order to find the one I belonged to. In the end, though, I was called home to the Catholic Church and came into full communion with it in 2000. Naturally, I began to receive a ton of questions, answers, attacks and misinformation from multiple Protestant sources, including some who were friends or family. I began to research my newfound faith with much zeal in order to defend it properly. As the years passed, my family and friends (the ones that hadn't given up on me) grew to accept me as a Catholic. Still, I often run into questions from them that I can't immediately answer. Thanks to the New Catholic Answer Bible, I now have a ready resource to reply to them with.

Containing the New American translation of the Catholic Bible, this answer Bible offers brief sections every few pages that explains certain Catholic beliefs with Biblical references. The beliefs range from the papacy to baptism and everything in between.

Solid Biblical references are the only true defense of the faith when talking to Protestants in my opinion, especially since the majority of them rely on no other source for their own beliefs. Referring to Catholic Tradition or the catechism usually doesn't work. Luckily, this book provides proof that can be found in the books of the Protestant Bible as well as the Catholic one.

If you're just beginning to study the Catholic faith, the New Catholic Answer Bible is an excellent, quick and handy resource. I also recommend books by apologists such as Scott Hahn, Karl Keating and Patrick Madrid as well as the wonderful "Why Do Catholics Do That?" by Kevin Orlin Johnson.

5.0 out of 5 stars The New Catholic Answer Bible Lives up to its name!, October 13, 2005
This is a must have version of the Bible for new or practicing Catholics. It is rich in its apologetic information and provides a history of written scripture that is invaluable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Bible for a New Catholic or Renewed Catholic, March 21, 2006
This Bible is great! I like the way that it answers common misconceptions of the Catholic Faith. A must for all Catholics!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Informaition, February 23, 2007
I love these books they do give someone a clear outlook on what's the truth and what is not.

I am Catholic, and I have been all my life. These books makes what was hard to understand and brings it to light.

They are full of understandable material that people of all ages can understand.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent study Bible, April 30, 2008
An excellent study Bible for Catholics and all who are interested in summaries of Catholic teachings. The entire New American Bible is presented and about every sixty pages a section of questions and Catholic answers is given. With these questions and answers, specific scriptural references are given that can easily be refered to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Tool for Catholics, October 12, 2008
Everyone knows the stereotype: Catholics don't read the Bible. And, there is some truth to that, in spite of the fact that we hear the Bible read to us every week in mass. Basically, many Catholics do not know what is in the Bible, at least not in much detail, and are often taken aback when confronted by non-Catholics who point to unfamiliar verses or stories that seem to contradict Catholic teaching. This Bible goes a long way to remedy the situation and here's how.

The authors examine many difficult or controversial teachings and for each one, give a clear explanation for why we believe what we believe. This in and of itself is extremely useful. However, they go one step further and give Scripture references for these teachings as well as where they are addressed in the Catechism. In other words, this Bible not only helps Catholics understand the Bible, but also points them in a direction for greater study and exploration. Some of the topics covered are: God, Christ, Mary, the Church, the Saints, the Sacraments, Purgatory, Images, Papal Authority, Salvation, and practice. One example of an article is: why do Catholics call priests "father?" This Bible uses the text of the New American Bible and includes the lectionary cycle and text of the Roman rite of the mass.

There are a couple of negatives about this Bible, however. First, I'm not a big fan of the New American Bible. The translation is banal and many of the notes are either unhelpful or unclear. Basically, a Catholic could learn a lot from the articles and get even more confused from the NAB notes! The RSV-CE2 would've been a better translation choice. Second, Catholics who are knowledgeable about their faith may find the articles a tad too basic. But, in all fairness, the Bible seems geared towards those who don't understand much about their faith.

Overall, this is a great resource for Catholics who may not be aware of the teachings of their Church and their biblical roots. It's perfect for those wanting to grow in faith and have an answer when asked by non-Catholics.

4.0 out of 5 stars Buy it in leather, August 14, 2007
I actually have the first version of this Bible and I think the biggest difference is the number of inserts, so my review applies here. My biggest criticism is that, after having had it for several years and using it extensively, the binding started falling apart. I'm going to try the leather bound for my daughter. I prefer the RSV version, but that one doesn't have footnotes. I've been happy with the footnotes here.

The New Catholic Answer Bible: The New American Bible
The New Catholic Answer Bible: The New American Bible by Dave Armstrong (Paperback - March 30, 2005)
Used & New from: $0.01