Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

Format: DVD|Change

on July 19, 2003
This movie inspired me to a law enforcement career that lasted 28 years. George C. Scott (Officer Kilvinsky) delivers one of his best performances as a veteran patrolman of the L.A.P.D. He teaches a rookie cop "Stacy Keach" how to survive on the streets of L.A. Erik Estrada plays a former gang banger that turned cop, only to find himself working patrol in his old stomping grounds. The realism was great. No doubt they used police advisors when making the film. A sad movie that will make you realize that cops are human. Kilvinsky the cynical cop, shows compassion in dealing with illegal Mexican immigrants that are being taken advantage of by a money grubbing landlord. Stacy Keach suffers a failed marriage and gets involved in an interracial relationship. Truly a gut wrenching movie that shows the brutality of police work, both mentally and physically. I'd pay a hundred dollars if I could get the movie on DVD.
on August 29, 2008
If you like police movies, you'll love this one. Stacy Keach and Erik Estrada (CHiPs, in one of his first movies) are graduates of the police academy as they begin their careers within the police department. Of special interest is the relationship between Keach and George C. Scott (a seasoned veteran looking forward to retirement).

This is a true-to-life story of cops and their daily struggles as they balance their jobs with their personal life. George C. Scott is excellent in this movie and worth watching for his acting alone. Stacy Keach gives a great performance as a new cop juggling family and his quest to further his career beyond the police department.

Plenty of action sequences and a true depiction of the struggles that our police force face on a daily basis. Watch Erik Estrada in one of his earliest roles.

A must see movie for action, drama, and life on the streets. I own the VHS version and I am glad that this movie was finally released on DVD. A true classic.
on October 5, 2008
This has been one of my favourite cop/action movies. My vhs copy always looked fuzzy and faded, so I'm glad to see this movie in widescreen and with vibrant colours. The Martini Movies supplements are silly and not worth looking at.

It is 1972 and fellow cops Stacey Keach and George C. Scott are on the night shift making the rounds in their squad car or paddy wagon. They end up being forced to come to terms between their personal lives and their consuming and often dangerous professional life. It is a pleasure to see these two fine actors in one film. Quincy Jones' funky score thankfully doesn't overwhelm the unfolding drama.

I don't know why I seldom see this movie mentioned but it is a keeper.
on December 31, 2015
I know this movie and had it on my Christmas list. SPOILER ALERT: Unbelievably, the ENDING is COMPLETELY BLOWN on the back of the DVD case!!!!
Glad I caught it because I wanted my daughter to see it (her first viewing) and I normally would have passed her the DVD case as I loaded the disc to play. I had to read the back twice to believe my eyes. What idiots!!!!!
But a good Joseph Wambaugh story (Police Story, Blue Knight, Joe Forrester, Police Woman, et al) from the 70's. Scott and Keach are excellent. Just don't read the back cover!!!!! Give us a break, manufacturers!!!!!
on November 4, 2012
The New Centurions is based on the excellent novel of Joseph Wambaugh who was a police officer at the time he wrote it. The book is well written and detailed and the film is quite a good representation of the book. Watching this film for the first time in over 30 years you don't get the sense of it being dated. I'm sure it would be a great film for police officers going through their initial training on route to the world of the beat. It is a good film and holds up well and should have more kudos than it does. Stacey Keach gives an accurate portrayal of the new policeman while George C. Scott does a great job of the world weary veteran. The ending is one you don't expect and keeps you thinking afterwards for some time.
on February 17, 2009
Just simply the best cop movie ever. I'm a Prince George's County police officer and this is the only cop movie I have ever seen that gets it 100% right. If you haven't seen it, get it. If you are a cop movie nut, you NEED this movie.
on June 9, 2012
...but it really doesn't quite make it. I even suspect that the screenwriter understood that putting this amazing story into a movie was too tall of an order. So he purposefully narrowed his look into the lives of the three rookie cops and almost loses Officer Gus and the Watts Riots all together in the process.

But that's okay. It is nevertheless a very good movie with George C. Scott very nearly stealing the show from the others. Stacy Keach portrays the rise and fall of a rookie to veteran in almost haunting fashion. This is very entertaining from start to finish.

Bottom line is that Wambaugh's book "The New Centurions" was just really deep and well done. Only a mini series with a lot of production money could have captured it all. So this movie is an abbreviation, but a good one.
on March 15, 2013
This flick with George C Scott and Stacey Keach is a bit dated watching it today but its a good vid showing the frustration of police on the street at the time it was filmed. Seeing a cop back in the squad car after a shooting, roughing up a despicable slumlord....you know that would never happen today...maybe. Missing was the review boards wanting to put Keach and Scott in jail.
I saw this movie when it first came to the theater. ...loved it then, love it now.
on June 27, 2008
I had read the book in addition to seeing this movie and was somewhat disappointed.

The book had been equally about three Los Angeles police officers, Serge Duran, (Erik Estrada), Gus Plebesly (Scott Wilson) and Roy Fehler (Stacey Keach). The movie primarily focuses on Roy Fehler and leaves very small roles for Gus and Serge, whose characters were important in the story.

In spite of this, it was still a good movie that was educational and entertaining. George C. Scott was great in the role of Kilvinsky and was exactly as I pictured the character. The movie evolves around day to day situations from petty crimes to violent crimes.

The ending is sad. I don't want to give that away, but the best part was when Erik Estrada prays the Hail Mary in Spanish, which makes the movie more touching than any I have seen.

I recommend this movie for anyone who likes cop movies.
on March 11, 2013
I saw this movie as a junior in high school in the early 70's when it came out at the show. I was captivated by it. When I walked out of the theater I knew I wanted a career as a police officer. I thought of this movie often during my 37 years in law enforcement.