5.0 out of 5 stars Superbly Presented Study Bible. Every Home Should Have One!
Everything about this product exudes quality. From the cover, binding, paper and presentation, everything radiates excellence.
I have many "study Bibles", each of which I value on it's own merits and each providing individual characteristics which I find helpful in my studies of Scripture. Yet few, if any match this one on an overall basis.
Although a relative...
Published on July 19, 2003 by M. D Roberts

3.0 out of 5 stars Caveat Emptor-Let the Buyer Beware.
I have used the original NASB Inductive Study Bible for some years in hardback format,so on seeing this new edition in the NASB Updated,I decided to give it a try.
When it came I was disappointed to say the least.
Yes the binding is a very nice quality genuine leather, but it is glue injected and not sewn,an absolute necessity for a well used Bible.
When...
Published on March 16, 2004 by Mr. G. Todd

5.0 out of 5 stars Superbly Presented Study Bible. Every Home Should Have One!, July 19, 2003
M. D Roberts (Gwent, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Although a relative stranger to the Updated New American Standard Translation, it is "growing on me" and I have been warmly surprised with it's accuracy in a number of areas. Most of my previous experience being among the NIV, KJV and NKJV translations.
The text here is very clear, relatively large and extremely easy to read, It is presented in what is best described as a "single column text". The latter is a rare feature but in my experience it makes reference to the Scriptures far easier and facilitates study and reading. Alongside the text are some of the best margins that I have come across. The margins measuring approximately 1 3/4", are located on the outside of each page. Ideal for making personal notes and references.
Each book of the Bible has it's own introduction and study guide amongst other references/features. A thorough concordance and "Helps" section are also included. There is even a section with advice on how to approach the interpretation of Biblical prophecy, as well as an outline on how to read through the entire Bible in one year.
The colourful maps are plentiful and accurate in their historical reference. Up-to-date maps pertaining to the current time are also provided. It is so refreshing to see the correct terminology used on the maps. Gone are the inaccurate quotations of "Palestine in the time of Christ" etc., which are frequently used in some versions. (Palestine not existing at the `time of Christ' and only coming into fruition following the Roman changing of the Jewish nation's name into Syria Palestina around AD135. This eventually becoming "anglicised" into Palestine)
A chronological history of the Jewish people and the nation of Israel is also provided, together with a study on the Tabernacle and the two Jewish Temples. The coloured graphics are superb. Numerous blank pages are also provided for your personal notes etc..
A section is also devoted to the "Major Events In Israel's History" with a time-line stemming from Adam/Abraham, the Exodus to the Birth Of Christ & the Destruction of Jerusalem (AD70 & AD132), including the renaming of Jerusalem to Aelia Capitolina by the occupying Roman forces etc..
Also covered are the occupations of the Holy Land by the Romans, Byzantines, Crusaders, Ayyubids, Mamluks, Muslims, Ottomans and the British. The British Mandate and the Arab-Israeli conflicts of the modern era are also mentioned together with a reference to the ongoing `peace process'.
Appropriately there are no political observations, just relevant comments on these events and appropriate Scriptural references. There is no "Replacement Theology" in this excellent presentation, just Scriptural accuracy showing the true place of both the Jewish People and the Christian Church in God's Purposes & Plans.
Although initially provided for use with the "inductive study system", (which is clearly outlined/described), I do not use that particular system, preferring to use this Bible as per my own personal method of study.
Another reviewer has described this as perhaps "the last study Bible you'll ever need". It will certainly take some beating !
Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Grab a Pen!, May 27, 2001
Rob Taylor "robtaylormade" (Raleigh, NC United States) - See all my reviews
The first time I saw this Bible my first reaction was, "Look at those margins!". Yes, this Bible has a full 1 3/4" margin on the outside of each page! This is a note-takers dream. The only things you'll find between these pages other than the text are study helps at the beginning of each book, cross-references along the inside edge of each page, helpful charts, very few scattered "insights" (mainly for textual clarification) and a blank outline structure at the end of each book for you to complete. Even though most of the work is left up to the student, thankfully there is a concordance in the back. This Bible is all about getting into the Word for yourself. The only drawbacks I found were the single column text, since I prefer the double column format, and the large margins which create a rather large Bible to carry. These are just preferences however. I would also recommend "Living by the Book" by Howard Hendricks or "How to Study Your Bible" by Kay Arthur as companions to help in your approach to study the Bible for yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Study Bible, Not a Coffeetable Decoration, December 10, 2002
"jgrissel" (Mansfield, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The New Inductive Study Bible (Hardcover)
If you're a serious student of the Bible(or an aspiring one), then this could be your Bible. This is certainly a thinking person's Bible - for the person who doesn't want to be spoon-fed the Word. I have been completely satisfied with this Bible. Here's why:
Pros:
1) This is a translation and not a paraphrase. Essential to in-depth study.
2) The construction is study and holds up to the abuse of daily study. (You're going to study this Bible, not put in up on the mantle and admire its beauty, right?)
3) There's no devotional stuff at the bottom. The point of inductive study is to learn God's Word for yourself(with His help), and not to be persuaded by others' opinions and interpretaions. (Though its sometimes a good idea to check yourself against a reputable commentary to stay clear of any heresy ;)
4) The intoductions and questions at the beginning and ends of the chapters are actually useful. I find those in some bibles to be a little silly and/or watered down, but these will definately challenge you to fully examine what you are reading.
5) Margins Margins Margins
6) Ties in to Kay Arthur's excellent Precept Studies and Inductive Study Groups.
7) Offers insight to study groups where everyone else is using NIV or KJV or other. In my small group we all use different translations, and we have really enhanced our learning by studing passages with the versions in parallel to each other.
(Possible)Cons:
1) I find the NASB translation to be a little more difficult to memorize than others. This is due to the fact that I am more used to HEARING the the verses spoken in either KJV or NIV. This makes memorization a little tricky at first.
2) I don't know if I really benefit that much from the highlighting system descibed in the book, though it might work well for some.
3) Not that many people use this translation, so don't be surprised if scipture readings on Sunday morning don't match this Bible word for word. This is not really a negative IMHO.
If your still undecided about this bible, ask yourself what your purposes are. If the idea of learning the Truth of God's Word for yourself, and not someone else's opinion, excites you - look no further. If this is not your cup of tea, I'd suggest a kid's bible(Seriously. Sometimes the old KISS approach is best) or one of the many paraphrase versions (New Living, Contemporary English, etc...).
Fortunely we are blessed to live in a place where there are so many versions available.
If you want more information on the NASB translation it can be found on the web at the Lockman Foundation. They have an online version you can read to see if you like it.Kay Arthur studies can be bought on Amazon, and more information on those can be found at Precept Ministries on the web...
I pray God blesses all your studies and guides you to the Bible that will profit you the most!
-James

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Study Bible!, January 27, 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: The New Inductive Study Bible (Hardcover)
This is the absolute best study Bible I have ever come across! I've used many, from the Open Bible, Life Application Bible, Thompson Chain Reference Bible, Ryrie Study Bible and Hebrew Greek Key Bible. There comes a time where you want to dig out what the Word says to you. Not commentators, Not translators. Just you and God. That's what this does. A small introduction is given at the beginning of each book, and you are given things to look out for or notice in each book. You have pages to record your notes on, and wide margins to write personal notes and applications right next to the text. There are also blank pages for notes in the back of the Bible. Also included at the end of each book of the Bible is a "Chapter Theme" Chart where you record the Theme of each chapter. It makes a wonderful quick reference! There is also a space for you to record the theme at the beginning of each chapter. I never realized how helpful it is to do it yourself! The more you make notes in this Bible and discover truths, the more irreplaceable it becomes. The text is a nice print and easy to read. It is single column text. The references are wonderful, and there anre many. I highly recommend it. It may be the last study Bible you ever need!
UPDATE: After using this Bible intensively for 6 months I have to add this: the cross references are plentiful and are some of the best I've seen and very, very helpful. Along with the cross references are translators notes that are included are invaluble. Like a study Bible in themselves. For example Rom 3:3 reads "What then? If some did not believe, thier unbelief will not nullify the faithfulness of God will it?"
The translator note to the side tells you that "did not believe" could also be rendered "or were unfaithful" and unbelief could be rendered "unfaithfulness" It is really enlightning to me, because although I have Heb/Greek dictionaries, I am not fluent in the original languages.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for personal study, April 21, 2002
This review is from: The New Inductive Study Bible (Hardcover)
I'm under the impression that most of us read the Bible in short spurts, perhaps a few verses along with a devotional or a set portion designed to usher us through the Bible in one year. We're encouraged by some of it and confused or bored by the rest. Certainly, we aren't taught most of our beliefs by these brief readings. That comes from our Bible teachers. So, if that's true, what good was the Reformation and all the work that's gone into translating the Scripture in English? Not much, if we don't read it so as to understand it.
You and I could improve our understanding of God's Word and It's impact in our lives by doing two things. First, we could read a whole book of the Bible at a time and re-read it soon afterwards. Second, we could buy this Study Bible in order to learn how to deeply study Scripture for ourselves.
This Study Bible comes with an valuable introduction to the inductive study method so that you know what to do with the liner notes. To boil the method down to a sentence: Read a whole book carefully, ask questions, and take notes. The introduction explains how you may want to mark keywords, make lists of subjects, and outline a book. (I highly recommmend outlining a book chapter by chapter! It's one of the best ways to remember the subjects taught in it.)
The rest of this oversized Bible contains margin space for your notes, background information on each book, and recommended topics to pursue in your study. It avoids doctrinal teaching, like what you'll find in other Study Bibles, in order to focus your attention on understand specific verses in light of their context.
This Bible and the inductive study method are strong resources for every Christian, and through the teaching of the Holy Spirit and Godly teachers throughout the church, you and I can understand and love God more and more everyday.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best study Bible I've come across, January 27, 2002
By A Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars Now you can really learn!, December 30, 2004
Drew Hall "Ragamuffin1981" (East Lansing, MI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The New Inductive Study Bible (Hardcover)
I've owned the NISB for about a year now, and I'm quite pleased.

PROS: (1) The inductive method used by Kay Arthur (who designed this Bible) is essentially the same basics of exegesis you'd learn in seminary. If you don't know how to study the Bible based on solid observation of the text, you're prone to make errors. (2) The Updated NASB text is good for study, as it provides consistent translation of original words and preserves the grammatical structures necessary for following the flow of the author's thought. (3) The large, dark print is easy to read for long durations of time. (4) Wide margins! (5) Arthur's pre-book study tips and the "book at a glance" tables are helpful in guiding both observation and application. (6) The cross-reference system and translator's notes are chock-full. (7) The timeline of events in the history of Israel is unique and provides useful information (up through the 20th century). Arthur's OT focus is evident (chiefly given her Dispensational theology).

CONS: (1) The words of Christ aren't in red lettering, but then again, this isn't normally a find-it-quick Bible; it's for studying passages in depth. (2) The standard NASB concordance in the back is weak at best. But then again, Arthur recommends that you purchase an exhaustive concordance anyway. Buy the Zondervan NASB Exhaustive Concordance. You will not regret it! (3) It's big and thick. Period. A thinner NASB reference Bible may be a better choice if you're taking this on the go alot. (4) I'd like to see an ESV version of this released soon. It's basically as literal and accurate as the NASB, but it's a bit more readable and elegant. (5) Arthur's guidelines for interpreting predictive prophecy do not fully take into account the nature of apocalyptic as imagery, thus restricting less educated exegetes to a premillenial/dispensational eschatology.

I also recommend Kay Arthur's "How to Study the Bible" guide. It's an expanded version of the inductive method outlined in this Bible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just God and you, July 23, 2002
I have several study Bibles for various reasons. The best that I have for me to learn the Bible with is this one. The approach is the best that I have found. One of the things that I was told by my brother, Wally, when I got my first study Bible was to remember that the comments were from men and therefore open to error. With The New Inductive Study Bible, there are no comments from men. There is only the Word of God. Therefore, no error. This Bible has you and God get the meaning together. And I mean God. There is no way to understand the Bible without God. Kay Arthur stresses that point also. The beginning section of this Bible is about the Inductive Study method. She explains to you what it is and how it works. The process is also called "exegesis", which means "to draw out". With this method, you are drawing out the meaning of the passage. You are not being told what it means. She also shows you some ways to mark your Bible to help you get the meaning better. (I thought that I would be hit with lightning the first time I marked in my Bible.) She shows you a couple of methods of doing so from a sample passage of the Bible in this section with the marks on the passage. She carefully walks you through the Inductive Study method and what each part is. The next section is a brief overview of Israel's spirtual life. This helps you to understand what is going on. She also shows you the Tabernacle and the two Temples. There is also a timeline included. The Bible portion has an introduction to each book of the Bible. This gives you information about the author (if known), date, some historical background and such. At the end of each book is a chart for you to put the chapter themes, the book's theme and the key words to look for. This Bible has wide margins to make notes in and the pages are thicker than onion skin. This is good because your pen (and use only a ball point pen) doesn't bleed through. There is also a center column cross-reference that also has alternate meanings of words or the literal translation of words. The only thing that I didn't like was not having Jesus' words in red. But then that would detract from the Inductive Study method. The "Helps" section at the back is very helpful. There are some historical articles, grammatical articles, maps (and maps and charts in the Bible portion itself also) and much more. And there is a concordance. All in all, for really learning God's Word and making it a part of you, I have not found a better Bible. As I said, I have several study Bibles and have found this to be the best for getting the Word of God into me. The other study Bibles that I have are good for what I bought them for. But I have found no better Bible for getting it to be God teaching me His Word.

3.0 out of 5 stars Caveat Emptor-Let the Buyer Beware., March 16, 2004
When it came I was disappointed to say the least.
When one uses a glue bound bible, it is not long before the pages start to come loose and fall out.Great care is needed when you try to lay the Bible flat on a table because the spine is subject to cracking or splitting.
This edition is also much smaller in format than the previous one, no doubt to cut costs rather than offer any advantage to the purchaser.
When are consumers going to learn that they are being had over by Publishers who have started to produce lesser quality Bibles and are charging them much more for the privilege?
Time was when sewn bindings were the rule rather than the exception.
And at this price , sewn bindings should be the norm rather than the exception.
It would seem that Christian Publishers are not very much different from their secular counterparts afterall.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Bible, May 17, 2005
M. S. E Cocking (Taylors Beach, Queensland Australia) - See all my reviews
When buying a bible personal preferences are often taken into account. I purchased this bible on both the reviews and the bible publisher.

What did I find when I received this Bible? It was exactly what I was looking for, and even better. It has features that are important to me.
1. A good translation
2. Black letter
3. Good font and print size
4. Books starting on new pages
5. A good cross reference system
6. Room for notes.
7. Good maps
8. A concordance
9. A few extra pages at the back for some personal notes.

I appreciate the introduction notes at the beginning of the books. While I won't be doing a lot of the colouring and symbolizing suggested, I do think I will be using many of their suggestions, along with my own. Kay Arthur's book, How To Study Your Bible, which I also bought is an excellent addition and I personally think, a must have when using this bible. I read that book, highlighted many things, and will use it's fine helps to help with my personal Study.

Another feature about this bible that I really like is the intext maps. You can follow Paul around in his travels, or follow the Israelites in their journeyings. Good timelines and other such things. What a bible!!

All in all, I am enjoying using this bible. Yes, it's quite thick in size, but I don't have an issue with that. It's well set out, doesn't look cluttered on the page and it set out in such a way that I just like to open my bible and get reading and cross-referencing and underlining and writing notes in the side. I just enjoy my bible reading just that little bit more these days. A good bible helps, and that's exactly what this is!

Sharon

ARRAY(0xd8b2a164)

The New Inductive Study Bible
The New Inductive Study Bible by Precept Ministries International (Hardcover - July 1, 2000)
Used & New from: $2.47