Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

on July 27, 2000
As an author myself, I search for references that cover new concepts in a concise, comprehensive, and inviting way. Grossman and Valiga give us just what's needed to motivate nurses to think about the importance of acquiring leadership skills at all levels of nursing. Beautifully designed, well written, and just the right size (Seinfeld would definitely call it "bag-worthy"), this book uses a concise format to cover everything from stewardship to chaos theory in context of a changing health care setting.
I recommend this book for any student or nurse. If you happen to teach nurses, you'll love the critical thinking exercises that guide and challenge new nurses to ponder their own growth as a leader.
on February 24, 2014
Do not spend money on this. I've never seen anything more crammed with meaningless cites--no quotes, no bullets, nothing to tell you exactly what it was that the reference author was saying. This book violates every law of academia writing and is full of half truths and implied associations with famous, reputable authors. Case in point:

". . . Many creative, motivated, and enthusiastic individuals thrive on chaos and are most successful in their personal and professional lives, despite the incredibly confusing climate in which they function. Hawking (1987) views this uncertainty as opening the way to randomness and unpredictability that are perceived by many as refreshing."

The authors, Sheila Grossman and Theresa Valiga have the unmitigated gal to cite Stephen Hawking in A Brief History of Time. I sure as heck do not recall reading any such drivel, paraphrased or otherwise, in that book. Grossman and Valiga list A Brief History of Time as published in 1987---it was not published until 1988!

In the opening paragraph of Grossman and Valiga's chapter six, a chapter dedicated to masculine vs feminine management styles (don't get me going on that topic--this book is a turd if ever I've been forced to read one) they carry their perplexing and misleading habit of plastering you with meaningless citations to a new all time low:

"Most studies about leaders and leadership focus on men and the male perspective. Although this information is valuable, and much of what we know about leadership--the need to have a vision, the reciprocal relationship between leaders and followers, the willingness to take risks and so on---has broad applicability, it still is rooted in a masculine framework. A growing body of literature, however, notes differences in the ways women lead (Austen, 2002; Babcock & Laschever, 2003; Felder, 1996; Gordon, 1991; Grunswald, 1992; Helgesen, 1990; Kaufman & Grace, 2011; Keohane, 2010; Klenke, 1996; Kram & Hampton, 1998; Lambert & Gardiner, 2009; Lipman-Blumen, 1992; Long, 1998; May, 2001; Melia & Lyttle, 1986; Paludi & Coates, 2011; Rosener, 1990; Salas-Lopez, Deitrick, Mahady, Gertner, & Sabino, 2011; Schein, 1989; Sylvia, Grund, Kimminau, Ahmed, Marr & Cooper, 2010; Yudd, 2010). Because most nurses are women, understanding gender perspectives in leadership is an essential area of exploration."

Now tell me what was the point of plastering those three sentences with 20 cites?

This book is a useless turkey that should not find its way into the classroom or boardroom. It buries the few good points it might have other wise made with ten chapters of drivel and the so called annotated is only a partial list of the references, so still no clue what these two are babbling about most of the time. Oh and most of the book's references are as old as I am.
on February 28, 2016
Bought this book for a BS nursing program. I don't usually write reviews for textbooks, but as a book lover, I have to give compliments when they are due! This book is very progressive regarding its content and perspective. After so much of the same content in nursing school that dryly proclaims the importance of leadership and contributing to the profession, I frequently found my eyes widening while reading this book. Somehow, the authors consistently, boldly, and beautifully call for and describe the transformative leadership that is so needed in nursing today. I can't put my finger on what it is, as I have not read the entire book (we were assigned sections)––but I just kept thinking, "Wow, I've never seen it said like that (in nursing). That's awesome!" This book is relevant, well-written, and full of paradigm-shifting inspirational material.
on May 6, 2016
I'm taking a star off because this book is almost entirely made up of quotes from other authors. If you were to remove all text that is between quotation marks, it would only be 5 pages long. The back to back quotes make for hard reading and I would have preferred more original text from the author.
on February 12, 2014
The text is pretty redundant and it's all in paragraph form (no bullets or lists), so it's difficult to reference points of the text. There were a few good points buried in between the repetition and filler, but they were few and far between.
on September 10, 2009
I was required to read this book for a class on Nursing Leadership. It is an excellent book hitting on many relevant topics in nursing leadership. There are chapters on the history and development of nursing leadership as well as ideas and goals for the future. Each chapter is infused with relevant quotes from a wide variety of sources that add to the information being learned at the time. One particular chapter of significance is #6 dealing with Gender Perspective in Leadership, something very important in nursing as more men are coming into a traditionally female profession.

Overall, I think this book should be required reading in all nursing education programs and it is now a staple and reference in my library. For those who wish to increase their leadership potential, this is an absolute must read. I also recommend The Dream Manager by Matthew Kelly. Combined these too books have reshaped a lot of my thoughts and ideas about leadership and the correct way to manage people.
on March 14, 2011
I just finished graduate school abd leadership was a big topic. I saw there were many good reviews of this book so I bought it because I am promoted into a leadership job, but it will not be any more useful than a web site. DOn't waste your money.
on February 20, 2013
Breathtaking! What Nursing Leadership should aspire to be. Helpful for anyone venturing into a leadership role. Insightful concepts and practical suggestions for transformational leadership.
on December 30, 2014
Excellent book to read! Easy to read, knowledgeable for new a comer in the leadership subject and it has great clinical examples for each subtitles. The book was a pleasure to read. The flow of writing was easy to follow.
on February 4, 2013
This book meets all the requirements of my class. It came without any problem, and has turned out to be very informative.