5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!
Published on March 26, 2010 by C. Ly

2.0 out of 5 stars Same old, same old
Most of the reviews I've read here read like advertisements for this book and diet plan. I understand that the authors would like a groundswell of support and Amazon is a good way to begin this, but the reviews here are likely not reflective of what you'd hear from your average reader and user of this plan.

There is very little (perhaps nothing, actually) that...
Published on June 17, 2010 by emma force

2.0 out of 5 stars Same old, same old, June 17, 2010
This review is from: The New ME Diet: Eat More, Work Out Less, and Actually Lose Weight While You Rest (Hardcover)

There is very little (perhaps nothing, actually) that is new in this book. Have you ever read a diet book that directs you to eat several small meals spaced out during the day, not to eat too close to bed time, to eat fruit, vegetables and lean meats, and walk 30-60 minutes per day with a few weight-lifting work outs a week? You have? Well, so have I, and you'll read that advice again in this book.

As in most diet books, the authors walk you through basic metabolism and basic nutrition. They write about hormones. It's nothing that hasn't been outlined in other diet books many times over. Overall I've found that diet books tend to focus on the parts of biochemistry and nutrition that most closely match the plan they are promoting. This book is no different.

After taking a questionnaire you are given a general grouping of your metabolic type and directed to a diet that contains more or less of the same ingredients in slightly altered quantities from each other. It's a fairly boring diet plan overall - no surprises, you can imagine how many ways lean meats can be combined with fruit and veg and "acceptable fats", can't you? South Beach would tell you similar things, as would Weight Watchers and probably countless others. There are some cheat meals - again, similar to other diet plans I've read. Cheat, but cheat smart. You've heard that before as well most likely.

The exercise plan I've already outlined - do it moderately every day for 30-60 minutes and then follow a strength training routine the likes of which you'll find monthly in Shape magazine or similar. If you need something mapped out for you, this book will give you that.

Reading back over my review I see I sound pretty "meh" about this book, and that's an accurate take on it. There's nothing revolutionary here and I would suggest checking this out of your library rather than purchasing it, as it's not the diet book you'll want or need on your shelf long term. I would take the bulk of the reviews already listed with a grain of salt. If serious personal trainers and workoutaholics who have written surprisingly excited reviews here about this book haven't already heard the information contained in it a thousand times over, I'll eat my own laptop.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, March 26, 2010
I discovered about ME at my gym and came accross their website when I was searching information on it. Lo and behold, it was the best move I have ever done. I thought I have always been fit and ate somewhat healthy. Little did I know, my "healthy" definition of eating was totally different from the ME lifestyle. After reading all of the articles from the ME website, I was convinced that I needed to reasses my diet. I got rid of the rice, pasta, sugar, salt, and fat. And I immediately dropped 15 (from 125 to 110 lbs) lbs within three weeks. I started noticing my waist, my face, and my thighs getting smaller. People started noticing the difference on my body. It's been almost three months that I have been doing the ME excercise and ME diet and I am a true believer! I am proud to say that I am a lot stronger (I can do 5 pull ups straight compare to only one at a time, and can do at least 50 push ups). Over all, I feel so much healthier and stronger. Thanks Jade and Keoni!

5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful Book, July 5, 2012
The promise on the cover is no lie. Metabolic Effect lifestyle has been a game changer for me.

This is a terrific book with lots of helpful information at many levels. I have read portions again and again as I work through this process. I have lost 15 pounds and 4% body fat points over the past six months after almost a decade of eating the wrong foods for me, overexercising, and slowly losing muscle and gaining 20 lbs of fat(which is almost gone!). A huge bonus for me is that for the first time since I was very young I do not suffer from chronic migraine headaches.

I think the title should be changed to "Metabolic Effect Lifestyle" but perhaps that would deter distribution. I am 54 years old, which adds to the testimony of the helpfulness of the information in this book. I found a Metabolic Effect exercise class and trainer at my gym and that has been extremely helpful too. Assistance is advised in the book and is available through online trainers also, through the Metabolic Effect website.

I am completely baffled by the the poor review saying there is no new information here and the ME plan is just like Weight Watchers and other programs. I could not disagree more. I am so happy that ME found its way into my existence. Weight Watchers inspired and then failed me numerous times and "Eat to Live" was slowly turning my body into fat for lack of protein while I felt constantly hungry, sick and tired.

Get this book and find a good class, or use the online assistance, and I imagine you can find success for yourself too.

Good luck!

5.0 out of 5 stars ME is your final solution. It will work., March 28, 2010
I have been on the 10 wk fat loss plan since Feb. 22. The information I've learned, which is all clearly outlined in the book, has changed my life. I do not crave sweets and starchy foods as much as I used to and I actually crave vegetables like greens, broccoli, brussel sprouts and salads. I was familiar with the ME workout method before I joined the fat loss program and continue to find it a refreshing and liberating way to workout. I was on my way to being a sprint tri lover. However my life was sidetracked with other priorities and athletics took a back seat, by choice. The ME method allows me to get great quality workouts in short order. It's freeing to know I can be in shape without spending hours and hours on a bike, running or swimming. The key to success is preparing food/meals in advance or at least having a fool proof strategy to eating your meals on time. If you can eat 5 - 6 small meals and not get hungry you will be amazed at how little your crave sweets or other foods that may be your weakness for your burner type. I practice the tips on cocoa powder, honey before a workout, and fiber supplements like apple pectiin in smoothies, drinking green tea and taking the ME Metabolic Complex vitamin. What you read in the book is pretty much all there is to the lifestyle and after you've followed it a few weeks it is a breeze. There is nothing cumbersome or complicated about the ME lifestyle. I recommend the book and encourage you to use all the ME resources available on the web.

Jade is a wonderful teacher, leader and motivator. He totally supports his work in a very hands on way and has a very humble spirit about him. If you have questions please email the ME staff and they will help you in any way possible. The ME staff and brand is a great dependable resource to help you reach success in your fat loss journey.

Vee

4.0 out of 5 stars Some constructive criticism, April 7, 2010
I have a lot of respect for the authors of this book, especially the fact that they pursued naturopathic medicine instead of traditional medicine. Yeah! We need more naturopaths being recognized for their treatment of the whole body and prevention. I raced to get the book the day you came out. I loved that it is geared specifically at changing the metabolism and body sculpting, rather than just weightloss. My constructive criticism is this: 1) Where are the before and after pictures? Information tells, but stories sell. I was very pleased with the stories that were included but would have loved to see some photos attached? 2) The title is misleading and unfortunately does not share the full lifestyle change that the book encompasses... WAY more than a diet book. 3) Is there a way to validate the type of burner that I am? I took the test and it came up that I am a muscle burner, but I am so skeptical that that is true. As I read the subsequent chapters on diet geared to a muscle burner, I kept being concerned that I scored correctly. Is there another validation point? Overall, I highly recommend the book b/c I know it delivers results from all the people who live in this area who I know have been going to the doctors or involved in the Metabollic Effect system. Thanks for putting the information all in one place!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Secret to Sustained Weight Loss, March 23, 2010
The caloric model simply does not work, and most programs work in the beginning and fail to deliver sustained results. This book brilliantly uncovers the secret to becoming lean. Hormones. It's about minimizing stress, eating right for you, learning what foods burn fat vs. store fat, and rest-based high-intensity interval work-outs. It has changed how I think about food and working out, and has made a significant change in my overall health. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love the integrated information on hormones, food, and exercise!, June 26, 2013
I love the approach to hormones, exercise, and food in this book. It really helped me to view all of these as just methods of communication within the body. It took the confusion out and I was simply able learn how I was communicating inside. I didn't understood some of the key connections between hormones and food/exercise and I KNEW there were things I was missing there. Time after time, my searches to find someone who addressed these issues came up empty. Since reading this book, I feel more in tune with my body. The only reason I gave it 4 stars is because, as a holistic nutritionist, I disagree somewhat with the point of view portrayed in the book on whole foods and healthy fats. Low fat is touted as beneficial still and I thought we all wised up to the fact that it's modern day processed fats (and foods) that are the bane of society, not fat in general. Grass fed fats, extra virgin organic coconut oil, and others like these are, in my humble opinion, essential to a balanced way of living. However, no big deal because I have just tweaked certain food choices to fit what I know is best for me. Now it works like a charm! Thanks to the author for searching out the connection and then integrating the information on hormones, food, and exercise.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a diet that makes sense., January 16, 2013
The book is working for me. I also went on-line to watch how they did the 1/2 hour workouts, as the book explains it well but watching it on line made more sense. Work-out 3 times a week for 1/2 hour. It works.

5.0 out of 5 stars User friendly, August 27, 2012
Perhaps, this message is not an entirely new one, but it did spark my interest and get me moving in the right direction. I have found that using the guidelines in this book that I have been able to lose pounds, experience increased energy, have better quality sleep, and feel like a new person. I realize that timing and motivation are everything when beginning a new 'diet', but this book/diet provides a way that you can eat, lose weight, and feel better for the rest of your life. I love this book and have given it to family and friends to spread the word.

5.0 out of 5 stars The New ME Diet: The New You!!, April 3, 2010
The New ME Diet is more than just a diet book, an exercise protocol, or a biochemical evaluation of the two. It is a comprehensive tool revealing the fundamental principles and execution of a well rounded lifestyle leading to fat-loss, energy elevation, and restoration of mind - body synergy.

Being a former softball player, one can only imagine what my body used to look like: short, hefty, thunder thighs, apple bottom, and well-endowed portions. I never considered myself fat, but I was far from skinny. I loved to workout, and after my high school softball days I spent hours exercising during college. Religiously, I was at the gym but over the four years of college I never really noticed any changes in my physique. It didn't make sense to me. Life was two hours of steady-state cardio a day, an hour or so of lifting five days a week, six hours of sleep, and a constant struggle of food choices. What was wrong with this?

Apparently a lot! After being introduced to Drs. Jade and Keoni Teta, my perspective and lifestyle underwent a profound transformation. My workouts have been cut in half, my quality and quantity of sleep have increased, my food choices are effortless, and my happiness is at a whole new level. Not to mention the physical adaptations, going from a size 12 to a 2-4 and the former softball player appearance turned gymnast!

The best part of about the book: you already have what it takes to make the changes you desire (well, besides a pair of dumbbells and groceries)! There is no need to spend money on gimmicks, mystery supplements, or fancy workout devices. Your health is precious- you owe yourself this!

Kelley Vargo