Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

on June 9, 2010
I just got my Kindle last night and was delighted to find The New Republic available for the device at a significant discount. Whether you agree with the politics or not is up to you -- I generally do, but if you do not know already the magazine definitely leans left on the political spectrum but if you are considering purchasing this you should know that already. As for the actual layout (which really should form the review -- after all if you don't care for the politics what are the chances you have actually purchased a copy or tried a sample?), the Kindle really works well for The New Republic since it is largely image free in print. There are photos included in some articles though. The content itself is largely intact aside from one or two missing items, notably letters to the editor, and well laid out through the menu system, similar to how newspapers on the Kindle are laid out. All in all the subscription option for TNR on the Kindle is a strong one.
on October 24, 2010
This magazine has writing on par with The Economist yet breaks down to about $1.12 per issue. As noted by the 1-star reviews, yes this mag does tend to have a liberal slant, but the articles are so well written and researched that you can't simply ignore them just because you disagree. Oh, and more importantly, I've had no delivery or formatting issues with this magazine on my Kindle.
on June 9, 2010
Although two reviewers find this to be a "liberal rag," I find that although I do not always agree with their articles, I appreciate the well researched and documented articles. They are thought provoking and often opinion changing - if you are open to learning and change. If you are a diehard right-winger and not open to the other side's opinions, then I agree, do not waste your time. You will only be missing a balanced picture of the issues.
22 comments| 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 25, 2011
I have been a print subscriber for many years and reluctantly did not renew this year at $79. Too rich for my blood (and low salary.) Then I noticed it was available on the Kindle (which I use daily.) I will ignore the ignorant reviews about the magazine's "alleged slant." Most readers want to know how this periodical looks on the Kindle. In a word...excellent. TNR is very print-oriented (and the feature articles and reviews tend to be long) and this is formatted excellently on the Kindle. This is a magazine that does not have to be read immediately and in the past I would have a stack of them (much like New Yorker.) It is so efficient to have them on the space friendly Kindle. Navigation is even easier than the print edition...very intuitive. The Kindle edition arrives even sooner than the print edition. For the devoted TNR reader looking at Kindle, this is a "no brainer." All the content (except letters to the editor) are present in their entirety. Enthusiastically and highly recommended!
on December 6, 2010
I was astounded to see that one of the most venerated American publications has received a measly three star average. Almost as soon as I saw this, I guessed that it must be due to readers who disagree with the viewpoints it presents. Sure enough, all negative reviews are by people who identify themselves as "right-wingers". Doubtless, we have Fox News and its imitators to thank for this new phenomenon. Or perhaps they're Internet trolls. (Really? NWO tin foil hatters? Really?) Whatever the case, to those reviewers: you judge writing upon its merits, not the opinions it expresses. This is already long for a Kindle review, so I will just add that The New Republic is one of the last bastions of real journalism left, and it is substantive reporting like this which is the only known antidote to sensational, mindless cable TV news. But by all means, if you're so intransigent that you shut out all views that don't mirror your own, don't waste your time.
on February 11, 2013
I have subscribed to The New Republic on my Kindle since October 2012, but with the recent re-launch of the magazine I have decided to unsubscribe. The last two issues have been, for lack of a more elegant phrase, unreadable. Since the magazine re-launched under Mr. Chris Hughes, articles have been spliced together, text is jumbled, paragraphs run into each other, and everything from dollar signs to asterisks appear where letters should be, making reading more of a guessing game than an intellectual or relaxing experience. This has not just happened once, but with two consecutive issues of the magazine. And the mistakes are more than annoying: they will surely interrupt your reading flow, and make you regret the fact that you paid for such a lousy product.

I typically do not write reviews online, though I thought I should warn potential customers in this case. I have really enjoyed The New Republic's writing and journalism for the past month - the book reviews were fantastic, the long-form, in-depth articles outstanding, and the commitment to "wonkish" topics suited my personal taste perfectly. Unfortunately, the magazine has made a distinct choice of putting out a sub-par product, one that will give you more headaches than joys.

Even more disturbing was when I called The New Republic to complain. When I explained the mistakes and asked the operator how the magazine expects me to pay $2.25 for a virtually unreadable product, she said that the magazine "apologizes for the mistakes" and "acknowledges that there are still kinks to work out" with the re-launch. Make no mistake, this magazine is willing to sell you unreadable text for pure profit. Please, follow my lead and subscribe to The Nation, The New Yorker, and other magazines that genuinely care about their subscribers and how the formats appear on Kindle devices.

Unless The New Republic cleans up the formatting issues, please avoid this magazine at all costs. It will save you a lot of trouble and money.
on January 5, 2012
I've downloaded the apps for The New Yorker and The New York Times. Free. Whether it's TNR's issue or Kindle Fire's, it's a shame that this app is another expense for a TNR subscriber--yet a subscriber can sign onto their sight and read the mag. So what's wrong with that picture? Potential Kindle Fire buyers should know what their options are before purchasing. btw: I'm also seriously thinking of canceling my TNR print subscription and going with the cheaper monthly Kindle rate. Otherwise, the Fire is a nice little package for the money. Wish it had G4.
on January 31, 2013
After being a paper subscriber for years and years, I decided to switch to the Kindle edition.
The first issue is now in, and it is so poorly formatted that it is a jumble of words. It is. A bunch. Sentences incomplete run on. You get the idea.

I'll try to read a few other articles, but I think I'll have to cancel.

Also, it really gets frustrating when another magazine goes Ipad-happy. Sure, read it free on an Ipad with your paper subscription. If you do not have an Ipad, you are screwed. The Kindle subscriptions don't even come in on kindle for pc.
on August 3, 2013
It's political slant is more pragamatic than left. They do advocate for activist government. Sometimes it is hit or miss as far as quality, but it is on more than it is off.

For those complaining about the Kindle readability, get a Fire. The page rendering is good as the print issue.
on January 30, 2013
The formatting on the Kindle version is off, rendering articles an incomprehensible mess of words.

An excerpt from 'Inside the Mind of a Gun Owner/I want to be Understood':

"Right across the street was the Mint reckoning had Bar...in the front row was standing a lean young come, particularly man who'd glared at me with a manic, feral focus...He seemed high, not just drunk, with that toxic aura for gun owners of meth...shifting his weight toward the curb at the same like me who'd climbed out, nor did they see my reaction to his time. Somehow my kids didn't hear him as they never thought there by chance, as part of the move."

And on and on nonsense.?!?!?!?!?!

I like the TNR but not this Kindle version.