5.0 out of 5 stars Hysterically funny and full of wise insights
I pre-ordered this for my Kindle over a month ago and it was auto-delivered last night. I was only going to read a few pages before dozing off, but the book was too good to put down, I ended up reading it for hours.

Published on November 14, 2011 by Ron Cronovich

3.0 out of 5 stars There's something missing
Bill Maher's recent book, "The New New Rules", is a collection of snippets of his humor over the past several years. There's only one problem with it...the delivery. You can recognize the author's wit, for which he is well known...biting, sarcastic and enormously funny...but as a reader, not being privy to Maher onstage with a supportive audience to laugh with us...the...
Published on November 24, 2011 by Jon Hunt

5.0 out of 5 stars Hysterically funny and full of wise insights, November 14, 2011

This book is hysterically funny and full of insights. It consists of "new rules" he's performed on his show and others he hasn't. It also includes many of the "editorials" he does on his show at the end of "new rules." These are the longer new rules he uses to explore and comment on issues he cares deeply about - and gets us to care about, too, while making us laugh until we pee our pants.

I've sometimes been disappointed in books by my favorite comedians; just because someone knows how to use the medium of television or the stage effectively doesn't mean they can write a good book. I'm happy to tell you that's not a problem here. (At least not in the first 2/3 of the book - we'll see if Bill can close the deal). He knows how to use the written medium very effectively. If you like his show or stand-up specials, I'm pretty confident you will love this book.

One last thing: Bill has a lot of material on politics and social issues. But please be assured, you don't have to agree with his politics to love this book. Much of it is apolitical observations about the funny or ironic things in life. And when he does include political and social commentary, he makes it so funny that you'll truly "LOL" even if you have a different opinion than him.

Highly recommended. But don't take my word for it. You can read the first chapter online for free and decide for yourself.

And be sure you don't skip the preface - it's a riot!

5.0 out of 5 stars Maher Continues To Be Laugh Out Loud Funny!, November 14, 2011
I got this book delivered this morning by the local delivery company after pre-ordering it a while ago. Amazon is great about getting pre-ordered books to you on the day of release and they didn't let me down this time.

I opened the book at about 11am and didn't put it down until I finished it just before dinner. I have to say I laughed out load on nearly every page, which is quite a rarity for me. Maher simply has an amazing way about him when it comes to his commentaries. He has the ability to seize the essence of a situation, find the humor and then make fun of the subject from all sides.

The book contain numerous "New Rules" including some that never aired for various reasons, and longer essays that have all aired previously. Since I don't get the network his show is on, this is a great way to catch up on his humor. Some of the common subjects he writes about are politicians, Americans and food, airlines and airplane behavior as well as a host of other varied subjects.

While some of the "Rules" are a tad dated, the book is still spot on target and very funny. Even the preface was completely funny and well worth reading. If you like political comedy, especially from someone who spares no one,then this book will be perfect for you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Witty, November 27, 2011
This book is worth the purchase price. It's witty and full of laugh-out-loud moments. There is at least one laugh per page. I have never laughed so much reading a book, including joke books. Many of his commentaries are so spot on that you wish all the Powers-That-Be in Washington could be that insightful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny From the Get-Go -, November 16, 2011
I'm usually disappointed by books written by those known as comedians. Not so with Bill Maher. His "The New New Rules" is funny from the Foreword, in which he begins by insulting readers by declaring that those who read the Foreward of such a book are 'anal.' ('It's joke book.') Continuing he then goes into detail on why his latest book is really needed, despite the likelihood of Christians considering his writings and musings to be a plague.

So, 'Why is this book need?' Per Maher, it provides a funny diversion while the earth slowly fries and confronts us with other side-effects of Global Warming, such as droughts, flooding, wildfires, hurricanes, tornadoes, etc. He also points out that since his last epistle, we have new fads to make fun of - like the masses walking around seemingly talking to themselves via Bluetooth. Then he off and punning, from page 1 - actually its page 7 by the time he gets going, pointing fun at those who tweet supposedly important stuff about themselves over ten times/day, refrigerators with Internet service that allow you to email while it orders more milk from Amazon.

An important side benefit of this book is that the material is organized alphabetically, providing readers with a free review of that topic as well. Get this on your Kindle, iPad, iPhone, Bluetooth, whatever, now! Or, if you're technically challenged like me, buy the book. Or, if you both technically challenged and cheap, read it for free at Barnes and Noble, like me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, money well spent, January 31, 2012
This review is from: The New New Rules: A Funny Look at How Everybody but Me Has Their Head Up Their Ass (Audio CD)
I enjoyed the audio book, the material comes from Bill's HBO show and needless to say is first rate. Be careful when listening while driving, laughing so hard can affect your driving.

5.0 out of 5 stars America's Greatest Satirist has sounded the last alarm before the final plunge, December 3, 2011
One thing this book proves is that when the obituary of the American nation is finally and inevitably written, the historical record will show that from the very beginning only the Satirists have been telling us the whole truth and nothing but the truth about the state of our nation: Mark Twain, Ambrose Bierce, Will Rogers, H.L. Mencken, Lenny Bruce, Richard Pryor, George Carlin, Chris Rock, Stephen Colbert, John Stewart and now Bill Maher, have all sounded warnings in their own way, and for their own respective times.

The loudest alarm for our times (arguably one of the most troubled times of all for this young nation) can be taken from the gray pages of this book. It is here that Maher leaves his mark on American history by proving to us that he just may be the smartest and most prescient of American Satirist. His selective creations here would be funny only if these were not such serious times and only if his humor did not have such a sharp edge, one that is so deadly accurate that it cuts beyond the white meat literally to the bone.

Maher has looked deeply into the soul of the America nation and is unafraid to tell us what he sees there. And what he sees there is the same thing that we all see but are pretending not to see (and thus are afraid to acknowledge): that our "faith over facts," sexually repressed, warmongering, economically mindless, politically gridlocked, and racist nation is finally in serious trouble. And it is not of the easily "fixable kind of trouble;" but is of the systemic "virtually unfixable" kind. What we are collectively pretending not to know about ourselves (even though it is right before our eyes) is, why the nation we love so has turned right before our own lying eyes into a "chest-beating," "war-mongering," "economically hollowed out," "racist" shell of a Third World country?

In the gray pages of this book, Maher gives us the answer: The reason the American nation is in such trouble is that the "ruling class" has repackaged and then commandeered America's patriotic symbolism and has used it to dumb-down and then to mount and ride the "political class" like a Trojan Horse. That class of political misfits, morally-challenged whores, demagogues and ideologues is now being used to trample the very ground of everything that is meaningful about American culture, values and ideals -- as it makes a beeline straight down the path towards the abyss.

As we saw in 2007-8 in the Ponzi scheme that led to the economic crash, the political whores are being ridden right to the edge of the precipice all in the name of Gorton Gecko level greed; to save the proverbial "job-creator's bottom line." The problem is that, not only is it that the jobs they are creating are all in the Communist Police State of China, but also that there is no bottom to the bottom line. And even if there were a bottom, there is nothing else meaningful beyond the bottom line but blind, empty, random, mindless, inhuman, greed. All we can see as far out into the future as the eye can see, is the once "almighty dollar" now chasing its own tail, as that tail changes right before our eyes into the "almighty Yen."

Maher tells us that we have been divided into two lying subcultures: the dumb and dumber (also known as Republicans and Democrats). The only difference between them is that the Democrats believe the lies that they tell us, while the Republicans, who are infinitely more cynical, do not. In a paroxysm of capitalist greed that feeds only on itself and has no discernable logic, rhyme or reason, the two political parties, thin proxies for the mean-spirited, cynical, greedy and mindless ruling class, have abandoned the notion of a "common good" trading it in for more endless ideologically-based wars: "wars of choice," "wars on terror,"" wars on drugs," "wars on crime," "wars on blacks and the poor," and it has finally come full circle and home to roost as "wars on the white middle class."

The only discernable result of all this warring has been to enrich stateless and loyal-less corporations like Haliburton who, along with the political whores along K-Street running Washington D.C., have helped put the U.S. in hock to a Communist Police state; one that we used to mock and make fun of as being backwards and tyrannical. But all the while we have been beating our chest with our obsolete military hardware, claiming to still be the greatest country on earth, the Communist Police state that we used to mock has proven to be better capitalist than we are. And the best evidence that it is THEY that is emerging as number one, is that they currently hold three trillion dollars of our treasury bonds and thus "the balls" to our capitalistic democratic system in a global economic vise grip.

All Maher is trying to tell us here is that we had better wake up before the Trojan Horse drives right over the edge of the cliff. With limp-wristed moral wimps like Barack Obama on the left, and the eight reactionary stooges running for President on the right, it does not look good for America's long-term survival. It does not look like we are going to be able to stall off our own collective national political suicide. This book is so funny it will make you cry from the inside out, literally. Five Stars

5.0 out of 5 stars Maher delivers the comedic goods, October 6, 2012
Bill Maher follows up his excellent book New Rules with an even better sequel entitled "The New New Rules: A Funny Look at How Everybody but Me Has Their Head Up Their Ass." If the title does not give it away, the book features the humorous, sarcastic and outrageous bits from Maher's "New Rules" segment on his HBO show where the comedian gives suggested new rules for society from the serious to the mundane nonsense to the goofy. He tackles the hypocrisy and foolishness of politicians and their corporatist to pop culture to the fad of huge sunglasses on young women and the photograph of an odd looking fish that became an internet meme. The book begins with a funny preface that begins rather angrily facetious but then apologizes and introduces the reader to the book.

The book features unused and unseen materials, so even faithful viewers to Maher's show will find new jokes and laughs. Each "new rule" features a related graphic as well as a pun-tastic title. For example, a new rule about overly sweet junk breakfast cereal is called "Bowl Movement." The title "Canned Job" is attached to a new rule about Lysol's killing of 99.9% of germs with their sprays. Does Lysol spare the remainder to serve as a harbinger to tell the other germs of their villages? There is a new rule called "Body Shots": "No more pictures of dead people in their coffins. It's a funeral, not a 'Kodak moment.' I don't want to remember Boris Yelstin on his back, eyes closed and lifeless. I want to remember Boris Yelstin how he lived: on his back, eyes closed and lifeless."

Maher has a brilliant way to putting a frank and sharp critical lens to American society and life. For example, he lays rest to the near-Idiocracy levels of stupidity, superficiality and anti-intellectualism by the media to create and promote shows like "Dancing with the Stars" and then to actually cover it! "If one of your news organization's headlines is about who got kicked off Dancing with the Stars last night, you're no longer a news organization. Sort of like, if you were on Dancing with the Stars last night, you're no longer a star." Maher also tackles the bad habits and binge tendencies of Americans. "New Rule: Food companies must face the facts: One container equals one serving. Look, we're Americans, and that means once we open the bag, there's no stopping us until we're licking stray bits of powdered cheese off the carpet. So stop trying to give us nutritional information based on a fraction of the package. It assumes a talent for two things that we're really not capable of: restraint and math." I don't want to spoil one of my favorite new rules chronicled here called "Binge and Merge." Maher sarcastically proposes new super-holiday that actually sounds like a fairly good idea. Pick up this book to find out what this fictional holiday is about. Maher spreads some truth through satire in the longer bits such as "Senior, Bite Us" about the antiquated obsession with having as many children as possible for our entire lives and "Hype-Ochondria" about the marketing wing of the drug companies.

Through jokes, puns, bon mots and wit, Bill Maher makes every page worth reading. Sometimes controversial, usually politically incorrect but almost always funny, Bill Maher exceeds expectations in this book. I highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars BILL MAHER FOR PRESIDENT, January 27, 2012
As usual, Bill Maher views life through very clear, realistic lenses-I love him! Hope he has the platform to enlighten us and ENTERTAIN us for a very long time!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved It!, October 2, 2012
HILLARIOUS! I was laughing out loud! Some may not agree with his anti religous views or his politics, but you gotta admit this guy makes a lot of good points. Bill always calls 'em like he sees 'em and he does it in a very humorous way. I would love to pass this book on to a friend but I think I'd better just recomend it to people instead. After all Bill gave Obama 1 MILLION dollars this year and he's gotta make that money back somehow. LOL Of course I'm kidding I will pass it on... after I've read it one more time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mahar covers the political scene, but also takes on much of the rest of the society in his latest collection of rules., September 22, 2012
THE NEW NEW RULES: A FUNNY LOOK AT HOW EVERYBODY BUT ME HAS THEIR HEAD UP THEIR ASS (Blue Rider Press) by Bill Maher is his latest collection of rules--many of which originally appeared on REAL TIME, his TV show.

Some others have been added, and there are also numerous photographs about the individuals or institutions being cited.

The author covers the political scene, but also takes on much of the rest of the society. Not all of the rules are hysterically funny, but many of them will have you laughing . . . for example:

* New Rule: You can't force the ATM to do something it doesn't want to do. Excuse me, lady in front of me at the Citibank ATM, but you've been standing there punching buttons for ten minutes-what are you trying to do, write a novel on it? You hear those beeping noises? That's the ATM saying, "Stop it, you're hurting me." A chicken would have gotten forty bucks out of that thing by now just by pecking the buttons randomly.

I also got a kick out of this one:

* New Rule: Ain't no party like a Wall Street party, 'cause a Wall Street party don't stop. If we're really going to reform Wall Street, can we start by figuring out a better way to do business than having a bunch of sweaty guys screaming and waving pieces of paper with numbers on them? This is supposed to be the most sophisticated financial system in the world, and they look they're trying to lay bets at a cockfight.

And the following had me nodding in agreement:

* New Rule: Food companies must face the facts: One container equals one serving. Look, we're Americans, and that means once we open the bag, there's no stopping us until we're licking stray bits of powdered cheese off the carpet. So stop trying to give us nutritional information based on a fraction of the package. It assumes a talent for two things that we're really not capable of: restraint and math.

If you like Maher, you'll enjoy this book . . . however, be advised that if the use of certain language considered offensive by some bothers, you, then you should probably skip THE NEW NEW RULES.

Used & New from: $20.96