Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The New Sonoma Cookbook™: Simple Recipes for a Healthy, More Delicious Way to Live
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Billy Talent Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on September 25, 2011
Many times people think that healthy meals are bland, boring and unappealing. It's one of the challenges I faced when I first started trying to loose weight and eat healthier. The New Sonoma Cookbook is inspired by the cuisine and lifestyle of California coastal cuisine. It's inspired by Mediterranean, Asian and Latin American cuisine and emphasizes simplicity, fresh foods and streamlined cooking techniques. These aren't recipes you're going to have to spend hours in the kitchen to recreate.

The New Sonoma Cookbook is one of the easiest healthy food plans I've come across. There are no complicated calculations you need to do to keep track of what you're eating. They use The Sonoma Smart Plate diagram for you to decide what to eat. Basically, your plate should consist of 20% whole grains, 30% lean protein, and 50% colorful vegetables. The recipes in this book follow that suggestion.

The New Sonoma Cookbook also introduces you to the new top 12 Sonoma power foods. These foods give you the maximum amount of flavor and the widest combination of health benefits. They include almonds, beans, bell peppers, blueberries, broccoli, citrus, extra-virgin olive oil, spinach, strawberries, tomatoes and whole grains. Each of the recipes in this cookbook feature at east one of these foods.

The recipes included are created to enhance the flavors of the foods you use. When you combine different flavors you enhance how you experience them. You won't find any artificial ingredients in this book. The recipes feature natural ingredients and fresh foods. Notations for Cook1X - Eat2X indicate recipes that provide planned recipes to make more than one meal. Sonoma Express recipes have fewer than 10 ingredients and can be made in 30 minutes or less including cooking time. Gluten Free recipes feature whole grains like quinoa, wild rice, or buckwheat for gluten free options.

You are also urged to purchase local vegetables in season for these recipes. Many offer variations of the recipe depending on what season you're preparing the recipe in. A detailed pantry list is included so you can keep staples in your pantry at all times. I love that it features sweeteners like agave syrup and honey and avoids things like white sugar.

Recipes are broken down into Breakfast; Soups, Salads, Sandwiches; Beef Entrees; Poultry Dinners; Pork Dinners; Seafood; Meatless Meals; Sides; Snacks; Desserts; Tastes of the Wine Country; Holiday and Seasonings. The recipes are very easy to follow and include a brief introduction, ingredients, step by step instructions, variations, notes and nutrition information. Each recipe also has the weighted glycemic index score. Many recipes also include notes on which wine would go best with the meal.

This is a truly amazing cookbook that I recommend to diabetics, people on a weight loss plan or anyone who wants to eat healthier meals. I made the Curried Tuna Salad with California Almonds and it was amazing!
on August 22, 2011
I love the original Sonoma Cookbook. It is my go to cookbook. I have made at least half of all the recipes in it. My husband and all my guests love nearly every recipe. So I eagerly waited for the New Sonoma Cookbook to arrive. Imagine my disappointment when I realized that at least three quarters of the recipes came from the old cookbook. A few have been renamed. They even used the exact same pictures from the original Sonoma Cookbook. If you don't have the original Sonoma Cookbook it might be worth purchasing but if you already have it DON'T waste your money. What a disappointment.
44 comments| 59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 17, 2012
This 3rd book has 64 repeats from her 2nd book! I can't believe one can call this a "new" book! That was my first disappointment. If your used to the first 2 Sonoma diet cookbooks you'll find this one going against everything she had stated in her first book. The 6th paragraph of her "welcome to your new lifestyle" speech in her first book states "We've done all the science for you, down to the last nutritional detail. So you don't have to count, plan, analyze, or worry. All you have to do is select from a huge variety of food choices, then follow our guidelines." All the recipes in this new book point out the calories, protein, fat, carbohydrates, fiber sodium at the bottom of the page. It no longer suggests "waves" that the dish would be for, also most recipes leave out suggestions for side dishes and wine paring. Also uses ingredients that have never been used in the first 2 diets books like molasses and ketchup.
The book layout is a bit of a change up from the old books too. A lot of the recipes are spread out over 2 pages instead of all on one page. If your not used to the previous 2 books and not looking for a "diet" cookbook it does have some good recipes in it!
on November 30, 2013
The recipes are great! Using fresh herbs adds so much flavor to the food and greatly reduces the need for salt. I began the Sonoma diet six weeks ago and have been using "The New Sonoma Cookbook" on a regular basis. The recipes are great, I've lost 21 lbs, feel so much better and I have so much more energy. But best of all, because of this cookbook I do not feel like I'm on a diet!
on January 17, 2015
A few good recipes and a whole lot of purchasing to make them. My biggest disappointment is in the diet and it's recipes which call for Agave as sweetener. I like the Agave but I began to read up on it and Dr. Guttersen's idea of low glycemic is outdated. Just a little research shows it is low GI but high in fructose and not healthy for those diabetic or pre-diabetic. It seems the best sweetener of all unless moving to chemicals is Maple Syrup. I will take from her books the great brown rice waffle recipe and the blueberry compote and figure out how to sweeten them another way. If you go on this diet you really must love bell peppers and garlic. Her power food information also is helpful. If you buy it just know that it ain't southern cookin. :)
on November 26, 2012
I love this cookbook. I've been able to drop lots of pounds while still be able to do what I love, cook. Most diets take the fun out of cooking. These recipes are not only fun to make, but fun to serve as they are so delicious. No one realizes I'm feeding them healthy food. I have lost 30lbs in 2 months following the Sonoma way of cooking.
on September 5, 2011
The best cookbook ever! Especially for those of us who are not great in the kitchen. Easy recipes that the entire family loves and the cook once, eat twice concept is great for our busy schedules. So many breakfast, lunch and dinner meals we can't wait to try them all. I can see why Guttersen dropped the diet name because the recipes clearly don't taste like diet food. Fresh, tasty and good for you.
on April 24, 2014
My spouse and I were referred to this book while I was recuperating from heart surgery. The nutritionist at the hospital asked me what kinds of food we like best. I told her that we both love Mediterranean food. The next day she returned with this book and said that we couldn't go wrong with it. We've used many of the recipes and their variations. It's a great book with many cross-references and suggestions for eating healthier. That said, it is never preachy. We also bought the companion diet book, though that isn't absolutely necessary to benefit from these fantastic recipes. Great results without hunger pangs, ever.
on November 6, 2012
I have worked at changing our diet for years. Trying to eat healthy has not been exciting and has taken away the pleasure of cooking and eating. But I love finding meals with this cookbook. Cooking is fun again. The meals are fantastic, easy, and quick to prepare.
on May 26, 2014
This book came to me from my older daughter who had been using it for several years. She served us several of the dishes and they were delicious and easy to fix. She gave me a copy and I bought several more as gifts for friends. The book is well written by a well educated author. It is a great addition to one's library of cookbooks...