4.0 out of 5 stars Useful and beautiful
Published on March 21, 2009 by A. Methvin

2.0 out of 5 stars Sadly disappointer
Published on April 4, 2009 by Lady Slipper

2.0 out of 5 stars Sadly disappointer, April 4, 2009
This review is from: The New Terrarium: Creating Beautiful Displays for Plants and Nature (Hardcover)
I bought this book eagerly as it was well advertised as a sensational and new outlook on terrariums. However, I was sadly disappointed. The writing style - while easy to read - kept repeating the same things several times. A significant chunk of the introduction to terrariums could been hacked to make the prose less repetitive. Instead, I would have appreciated more details on the types of plants that can be used in terrariums. The pictures in this book are numerous but the imagination behind the terrariums is lacking. A considerable number of the photos simply depict potted plants contained in glass. I have done a fair amount of research on terrariums and the pictures on the web are far more creative and inspiring. In short, I recommend that anyone looking for information on on terrariums simply stick to the internet. Several sites carry good information on making terrariums and the 'Terrarium' flickr group will provide more inspiring photos than this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful and beautiful, March 21, 2009
A. Methvin "book lover" (beautiful Asheville, NC) - See all my reviews
I checked this new book out from my library to see if I wanted to buy it later on down the road, and I do! The book is beautifully photographed, and it contains very useful information. When I am ready to to start making my terrariums, I will purchase the book. I particularly like the section on appropriate plants-this way I won't have to go to the nursery and wander around like a dumb-dumb! Terrariums are the new hot thing in crafting...so I plan to get started soon.

1.0 out of 5 stars Snail's Pace, September 18, 2010
I must add my voice to those who found the content in this book lacking: what could have easily been expressed in one sentence was painfully stretched out across 2 or 3 pages of text. It reads as if a teacher were explaining an utterly simple concept to a very slow student - which is frustrating if you're anybody except the very slow student.
I usually consider the internet to be a good starting point to get a few ideas about a subject and that when you want to go into any depth books are typically more concise, contain more information, and are more accurate. In this case I found the opposite to be true. The book's cover is enticing but there's really very little behind it except filler and fluff.

3.0 out of 5 stars Now you, too, can put a glass cloche over an already-potted plant!, April 5, 2011
Erika Holzinger (Fort Myers, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
Subtitle should be: Now you, too, can put a glass cloche over an already-potted plant!

I gave this book three stars because in aspects it deserves one star and in other aspects it deserves 3. Obviously, I was feeling generous.

One star aspects:
The terrariums themselves. You know, THOSE THINGS FOR WHICH THE BOOK IS NAMED. I don't know, maybe you've chanced to notice the cover. Perhaps you've said to yourself, "huh, that looks pretty much like a normally potted orchid placed in a glass apothecary jar." I said to myself the same, but thought perhaps the more elaborate/interesting/inspiring terrariums would be inside the book...like maybe Tovah wanted to keep the cover simple; uncluttered. But apparently Tovah truly believes that inspiring terrariums are potted plants neatly placed in glass container. Or--to get really creative!--an airplant in a martini glass on a bedside table.

Three star aspects:
There is some good information, such as a lengthy list of plants that work well in terrariums (and sometimes she even specifies closed or open terrariums, which is helpful), and some pretty good assembly instructions (though you can find equally good instructions on the internet)

Unfortunately for Tovah, when I first got the book I happened to open right to the section on where to place your terrarium so it receives adequate light to grow. Then I saw these sentences: "The suggestions here are aimed at terrariums with plants. If your case is filled with nonplant treasures from the forest--in other words, inanimate objects--then it's not necessary to concern yourself with the details of positioning in relation to light sources, and so on."
"What a fascinating and insightful tidbit of information, Tovah!" I chortled aloud, "So my rock treasures from the forest don't need light to thrive?". Of course, my initial instinct was to laugh heartily and point out the ridiculous sentence to everyone I knew. But then I remember the agonizing trial of writing my thesis and the antics of trying to add 45 more words here or there. So rather than laugh at Tovah's expense, I must rather sympathize, and know that I would have done the exact same thing. And perhaps, at one time or another, we have all done the exact same thing.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed by Content, February 17, 2010
Jessica Doroshuk (Greensboro, NC United States) - See all my reviews
I purchased this book for inspiration and instructions on creating terrariums for myself and gifts for friends. Sadly, I had to return it due to lack of content. Although the photos are beautiful and inspiring, the basic instructions and general content are lacking. The text tends to repeat the same thing over and over. I was really disappointed because I was really looking forward to having this book and had waited several months to order it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Meh..., March 4, 2010
This book has many great pictures but is kinda skimpy on the information. Your time/money is better spent reading articles and buying containers than buying this book.

2.0 out of 5 stars "feathery ferns"? lots of text fillers, December 16, 2012
im in the business of making terrariums and bought this book online because it seemed promising. the book is well illustrated, but you know what? it is a bit lacking in depth.

1 does not discuss techniques on avoiding mold and fungus in detail
2 does not entirely address all the common mistakes of terrarium making (which ihad to learn the hard way)

i just found overall as fluffy and not very scientific. beyond the good pictures, i didnt get what i thought i paid for: comprehensive information on terrarium making

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful "Coffee Table" Book, July 8, 2011
C. Christopher (Columbus, OH United States) - See all my reviews
Beautiful pictures and glossy pages...basically telling the author's love for individual choice of a plant in a pot under glass. Really? You call that a terrarium? There isn't much variety and if I read "Wardian" and "cloche" one more time I was gonna scream!
Extreme repetition throughout the book - if all they were going to write about was how pretty they can be and where you can place them and how wonderful they will look and the trinkets you can put in them...could have been done in one chapter. I didn't need that instruction at all--wanted very much to learn more about HOW to get started, tools, supplies, HOW TO, etc.
Disappointed to see that when you get to the "how to" pages waaaay in the very back of the book, it's in black and white with NO pictures step-by-step!!!!
Nice book to leave on a coffee table... :-(

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book!, August 21, 2009
The New Terrarium is an outstanding guide for anyone interested in creating their own terrariums.

You will learn about the myriad of possibilities for terrarium containers. You will learn about the different types of rock, sand, moss, soil combinations appropriate for different types of plants. You will be amazed at the hundreds of plants that can do well in a terrarium.

Best of all you will learn how easy it is to create your own terrarium that is simplicity itself in its care and maintenance. You will quickly learn that building a terrarium is not just for those lucky few with a "green thumb": anyone, kids included, can be successful building a terrarium that will last for years with little care or maintenance.

The text is easy to read and well thought out. The photographs in the book are absolutely gorgeous! Just flipping through the photographs alone will inspire you. My wife and I have owned the book for 2 weeks and we've already created a dozen terrariums for our home.

We couldn't be happier with the purchase of this book and highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book full of information, January 1, 2014
I am a gardener who was looking for ways to maintain indoor plants. I realized that terrariums permitted me to grow plants that would not survive in the dry heat of my winter home. This book tells you everything you need to know about starting your own terrarriums.

ARRAY(0x9e958804)

The New Terrarium: Creating Beautiful Displays for Plants and Nature
The New Terrarium: Creating Beautiful Displays for Plants and Nature by Tovah Martin (Hardcover - February 24, 2009)
$25.00 $18.74