4.0 out of 5 stars Nice book
Published on May 4, 2002 by bumbiebea

1.0 out of 5 stars Tasteless and Bland
I was excited as I flipped through the pages of this cookbook -- many of the recipes sounded tantalizing, and all the color photos displayed tasty looking dishes. HOWEVER, after trying out my first recipe (the curried tempeh and grains), both myself and my dining companion were rather let down. We found the dish incredibly bland and not at all what we had expected...
Published on December 16, 2003 by Kathleen O. Parsons

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice book, May 4, 2002
"bumbiebea" (Alexandria, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The New Vegan Cookbook: Innovative Vegetarian Recipes Free of Dairy, Eggs, and Cholesterol (Paperback)
The New Vegan Cookbook is a nice cookbook with plenty of color photographs. Just a warning, though, I would not recommend it specifically for "new" vegans (the new in the title refers to nouveau cuisine type new rather than beginning) unless they are already cooks. I love Lorna Sass's books but found this one a bit more complicated than some of the others and more likely to require expensive/exotic ingredients. I would recommend her book "Short cut vegetarian" for new/beginning cooks or those who are looking for simpler recipes.
I honestly see this more as a cookbook that you would give as a gift rather than use regularly in the kitchen - it's compact and aesthetically appealing. For myself, I would have liked to see more recipes and fewer graphic frills...but there is only so much that you can get into a book of this size.

5.0 out of 5 stars Creative Interesting Food, June 21, 2001
B. Bridges (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
I am a vegan and my (domestic) partner is not. This cookbook has given us enough wonderful vegan recipes to keep him from killing me. I only wish that it were longer. Of particular note are the stuffed eggplants and the roasted sweet potato corn chowder. The authors provide helpful information on stocking a vegan pantry as well as preparing less familiar vegetables.
Perfect for both new and seasoned vegans/vegetarians (or anyone who wants to add a few healthy, cruelty-free, dishes to the menu).

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of new and original ideas., July 20, 2001
By A Customer
This is one that you will definitely want to add to your vegan cookbook collection. It has beautiful pictures of many of the recipes and a couple of new and creative ideas for seasonong dishes that are sure to become a staple in my vegan kitchen. The recipes are easy to follow, most are quite original and not ones you have seen in other vegan cookbooks and all would be suitable to serve to non-vegan family and friends without having to endure suspicious looks. This is mainstream, gourmet food without animal products.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for the gourmet, October 7, 2004
This is a good cookbook with a lot of variety of interesting, new recipes. However, the things I have attempted in this book are slightly complicated and some of them are also quite time-consuming. Contrary to the belief of some others, however, I actually value the pictures, as I find it easier to commit my time to a recipe that I like the looks of. Albeit this is not a great way to judge a recipe. Overall, this is a great cookbook if you intend on throwing some sort of soiree, but not entirely practical in everyday life. However, I still enjoy the variety of worldly cuisines based in indian, thai, and cuban, among others. A downfall: the book doesn't have a huge selection, as it is full of pictures and rather thing, it lacks a plethora of those soon-to-become stand-by recipes. So, it's a great book to have, but for the thrifty, I'd opt for borrowing it for your local library rather than investing in something that may not be efficient in the longterm.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a down to earth vegan cookbook, December 27, 2001
Most of the ingredients for the recipes in this book are already in my pantry. The recipes are low fat high energy and pleasant tasting. The pancakes are a must try for anyone tired of looking for vegan breakfast fare. The "New Vegan" became my new best cookbook. It is also a great first intro to Veganism.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vegan Delights!, December 26, 2001
By A Customer
Once again Lorna Sass has provided delicious gourmet recipes for Vegetarians and Vegans. Her subtle blends of herbs and spices guarantee success. While some recipes are more work-intensive, more for entertaining and special occasions, there are plenty like the Portobello "steaks" with Carrot, Bean and Caramelized Shallot Puree that can be prepared quickly and easily for an elegant last minute dinner. The Brussels Sprouts and Udon Noodles in Miso Sauce gave me an entirely new respect for the humble sprout! If you are prepared to take the time, the results are consistently worth it! As I did with her New Soy Cookbook, I intend to work my way through each and every recipe - she seldom lets me down!

5.0 out of 5 stars best cookbook ever, March 3, 2004
By A Customer
This book is simply the best cookbook I've ever had, and I have a lot. Every thing I've made out of it has been exceptional, and I've made a lot of the recipes! It's not one of those books where you just keep making the same five recipes again and again. Everything is so good, you want to just keeping trying more. And, it's easy. Straightforward ingredients and processes, and most recipes are pretty fast to do on an average weeknight. But the food is also so good that you'll make it for dinner parties. I swear, this is the best cookbook ever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and delicious, September 17, 2002
This is one of my favorite cookbooks. It has a nice range of recipes, from simple to more "special occasion" and the design and photography are really attractive. I have to confess that I browse through this book more than I actually cook from it. Not that I don't like the recipes, but it's the kind of cookbook I'll leaf through for inspiration when I'm looking for something new and different to eat (even if I then get lazy and just fire up another veggie burger for dinner). If you have friends or relatives who love cookbooks, this will make a great gift -- especially if you want to inspire more healthy eating!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good recipes, great pictures!, February 25, 2007
Heidi (Eugene, OR) - See all my reviews
Healthy recipes that are as appealing to the eyes as the taste buds. For me many of the recipes are too complicated for the work week, but great for weekends and special occasions. Some ingredients can be hard to find.

I particularly like the "Roasted Sweet Potato and Corn Chowder"," Crisp Tortilla Stacks with Roasted Corn and Black Beans", "Tomato-Chickpea Curry in Eggplant Shells", "Slow-Baked Cannellini with Olives, Escarole, and Gremolata", "Kabocha Squash and Spinach with Moroccan Spices", "Baked Beet and Brown Rice Salad", "Carrot Slaw with Mango Chutney Dressing" and finally the "Mango-Coconut Tapioca".

I am not a vegan, but I use a lot of vegan recipes due to my daughter's allergies to dairy, egg, soy and nuts--this cookbook can offer food allergic families a lot of tasty, healthy options.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mouthwatering, September 6, 2003
merrymousies (Waterford, VA USA) - See all my reviews
Excellent recipes with a real gourmet flare. Lots of variety and flavors. I especially like the menus listed in the front - you could easily pull together a wonderful gourmet vegan dinner party but other menu ideas show lunch options, simple soup meals, etc. There's some of everything in here. Roasted Sweet Potato and Corn Chowder was a recent hit with my husband. Some recipes are easier than others - some are definitely more of an activity.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›