Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on March 31, 2011
Some publications work better on the kindle than others - for example, I'd rather have the Atlantic Monthly in printed form, because they have a lot of nifty maps and charts that graphicaly can't be reproduced on the Kindle (no color, for starters)! But I just got the NYROB on the Kindle and I'm enjoying it now - like the New Yorker, it's text-heavy, so it loses (almost) nothing on the Kindle. Plus it's nice not having to throw away all that paper into the trash 26 times a year after reading it! The only question is - what took so long?
22 comments| 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 21, 2011
Finally, my absolute favorite magazine comes to the Kindle!

If you are not familiar with it, the NYRB (not to be confused with the New York TIMES Book Review) allows its writers to use recently published books as a jumping off point to discuss and explain topics in current affairs, politics, science, the arts, technology, philosophy, popular culture and other areas. The viewpoint is often somewhat liberal, but everything is carefully argued and supported. No mindless doctrine or slogans here. The authors are some of the world's most respected scholars and writers. Recent contributors include Zaidie Smith, Freeman Dyson, Michael Rosen and Tony Judt. It produced the most carefully crafted, informed, and passionate argument against the 2003 invasion of Iraq I ever read. A truly marvelous magazine.
on October 28, 2011
This is my favorite periodical and I have to say it is easier to read on the Kindle than in print. It is with me at all times and is great to read when I have a few minutes free or am riding on the train. The Kindle format is very good for text-based periodicals. The only thing missing are the ads, which are sometimes interesting for book ideas, but that is a small deficiency. I love reading on my Kindle and I would keep it even if NYRB was the only thing available on it.

UPDATE Nov. 20: I'm now using a Kindle Fire for this subscription and it provides a wonderful rendering of the print edition, including photographs but not including ads.

Update Dec. 27: Now includes the full print edition (including ads). You can still read in text view or view the actual print edition. Excellent value. (BTW, Amazon mistakenly sent the January 12 issue early and incomplete and gave subscribers a free month for the inconvenience. The full issue came on the scheduled date. Can't beat Amazon for great customer service.)
on July 2, 2013
Amazon and NYRB suddenly incompatible.
I am a die hard subscriber to this magazine since its genesis during the news paper strike sometime in the seventies. I changed to the kindle edition when my print subscription lapsed and the first three issues were fine. There was a small reading glasses icon at the top of the screen that translated the article into a kindle format. This has suddenly disappeared and I am left with nothing but a photograph of the magazine pages. Amazon customer service is totally clueless. I cancelled my on line subscription and all issues totally disappeared from the kindle. Order yourself the print edition and enjoy some great writing without fighting with a device.
on January 20, 2013
I have been reading the New York Review of Books since some time in the late 1980s. It is the only magazine I really look forward to receiving and the only magazine I have two subscriptions to (I subscribe on my Kindle and I get the paper edition).

The essays are really good and I often find myself reading them even when I have no interest in the book under review. (For example, there is an interesting review by Jerome Groopman in the current edition of Andrew Solomon's new book Far from the Tree; I am not so interested in the Solomon book, but it discusses the relationship between identity and illness, something I had never considered before. Garry Wills is interesting on whatever subject he writes about. I always read Larry McMurtry's essays even though I never read Westerns or watch Western movies.)

I think a large part of my liberal arts education comes from reading this magazine for years. (I am an engineer by trade.)
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon May 17, 2014
Great issues of literary and political importance always get their space in the New York Review of Books and it's never dull. Edmund White, Joyce Carol Oates, John Updike, Jerome Groopman, Michael Tomasky, Mary Beard, Cass Sunstein, Gary Wills, Mark Danner... these are only a few of the writers who have published in the NYRB recently. This pretty much is the only place to find long-form analysis and criticism of books and current events by writers with great intellectual heft.

The only two publications to which we subscribe without fail are the NYRB and the London Review of Books and it wasn't until recently that I discovered that they are sister publications founded by the same people. Between the two, we have an incredible coverage of all things literary and political worldwide.

The Kindle formatted edition is complete and works extremely well and we would never be without it.
on September 22, 2011
I've had a Kindle since the first introduction, but not having this subscription available has always been my biggest disappointment with reading devices. Now, finally, instead of carrying this periodical around with a Kindle, I can just carry a Kindle. For years, this magazine has been my number one read for on-the-run opportunities. Now I won't have a stack of yellowing newsprint pages in my car, stuffed in my bags and totes and piled next to my Kindle. This is a major de-cluttering event for me. If it never gets better than this for reading devices, it's ok.
on December 28, 2011
Great magazine - intelligent and accessible writing brought to me silently on my kindle.... or at least it was until the January 12 2012 edition. Kindle: FYI, NYRoB are blaming you for the snafu. Their customer service people are giving it the Kanye shrug unfortunately. I have contacted amazon/kindle in the past hour (NYRoB's advice was "call kindle" - I kid you not) through your online form. So looking forward with bated breath to your response within tweleve hours.

So as I say, great magazine - but both kindle and NYRoB need to get their customer service in order. Twelve hours.... or I'm switching to London Review.

Update: while reviewing this, amazon/kindle have come through with the full edition - though minus title pages for the articles. Hats off. I look forward to the offer of one month's free subscription mentioned by other reviewers - and the chance to stop being a crank and enjoy the writing.

UPDATE 3 JANUARY: still waiting for an explanation from Amazon/kindle for the absence of title pages/pictures in the January edition. If it continues in this format, I may well switch to something else. Eventually, NYROB came up with a satisfactory response, but amazon customer care have been unable to give an explanation or response now after one week and four inquiries from me. Amazon/Kindle? #fail, so far.

Update 5 January: still no explanation...
We wait for the arrival of NYRB with eager anticipation--great writers and reviews on a whole range of fascinating subjects in history culture politics etc--I feel we are given expert insight by excellent writers, scholars and thinkers and lots of ideas and sources for deeper study. Never confuse The New York Review of Books with the NY Times Book Review which is primarily a publisher's marketing tool-- there is NO comparison--
on June 7, 2015
An indispensable periodical for anyone who fancies him-/herself an intellectual. I think some people who would like this magazine miss out because they think it is just a bunch of book reviews, or they think it is the New York Times Book Review. But the articles in the NYRB are not really book reviews of the sort published by newspapers and magazines. These are substantial essays on politics, culture, science, history, literature, etc. that use recent books (and sometimes films or tv shows) as a launching point. They are written by academics and well known public thinkers, and the editors generally do a good job of finding writers who have interesting things to say and say them well (in other words, this isn't a place where academics talk to each other in jargon-laden academese). And this is a great choice for Kindle subscribers because the print publication has very few illustrations or graphics in it to begin with, so you don't really miss anything important by reading it on Kindle instead of print. Probably the biggest reason one might choose the print subscription instead would be to gain access to the online archive of back issues, which does not come with a Kindle subscription.