5.0 out of 5 stars Worthwhile Investment for your Kindle: $1.99 per month
I enjoy the Wall Street Journal, but being a daily publication, I wanted more up-to-date news breaks. The NY Times Blog solves the issue.

Published on March 13, 2008 by StevenWayne1206

1.0 out of 5 stars Went from 5 star to 1 star overnight
Yep. Blog is now worthless. One or two lines per headline instead of the previous in-depth articles. I guess NYTimes and Amazon thinks I will now upgrade to the full NYTimes app. Guess what? I'm not! Sorry to see it downgraded. Used to be a great blog. Current description is inaccurate, false and misleading.
Published 3 months ago by Dondi

5.0 out of 5 stars Worthwhile Investment for your Kindle: $1.99 per month, March 13, 2008
This review is from: The New York Times - Latest News (Kindle Edition)

It pumps news stories to the Kindle every 3-4 hours, and the stories appear to be comprehensive, well-written, each about 1000 words long, and there are approximately 8-12 headlines active at a time. So, it is not the NY Times newspaper itself regarding content amount, but getting thousands of words of up to date info effortlessly every few hours, 24/7, is well worth the $1.99 monthly. The stories are more timely than even the NY Times subscription newspaper.

I have used the experimental web feature of the Kindle to secure news stories, and while that works also, it is more cumbersome, slower, takes more clicks of the wheel, and it not a neat and tidy as having active headlines 24/7 "pushed" to the device.

I did the trial subscription to Reuters headlines and found it far inferior to the NY Times Headlines for content, photos, navigability, and writing quality. Try both the Times and the Reuters and the difference will stun you.

The NY Times blog even has photos for almost every article that are good quality, and is easy to navigate and read. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars On Sept 2, 2014, full functionality was restored. It's once again a great news blog at a great price, August 30, 2014
This review is from: The New York Times - Latest News (Kindle Edition)
For a few days in late August, 2014, functionality of "The New York Times Latest News" became became inexplicably and profoundly crippled. (The ability to drill into the full article was removed). Fortunately however, full functionality returned, thankfully but mysteriously, on Sept 1, 2014. I had cancelled my subscription when it become crippled but re-subscribed as soon as I learned functionality was restored. Now, on September 2, 2014, I confirm "The New York Times Latest News" is once again working on my Kindle PaperWhite correctly. The full text of each article is included. "The New York Times Latest News" is restored to being a great blog, well worth the price, which I recommend to everyone. Even if you subscribe to the full New York Times, this blog is still a worthwhile complement owing to it updating during the day with news items more recent than the New York Times full edition.

5.0 out of 5 stars best blog - well-written carefully-selected content, March 23, 2008
jeanette (napa valley CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The New York Times - Latest News (Kindle Edition)
this blog is the most valuable in the kindle format that i have tried. discrimination is exercised in selecting the content - articles qualify as "latest news" & quantity of total articles listed is kept to a manageable amount. the articles-listing titles actually give you a good idea of the subject. each article is well-written & the right length for the substance. some include pictures.

many of the other blogs i tried are just a heap of varying-quality unhelpfully-titled material dumped onto your kindle that you have to time-consumingly pick through for any satisfaction.

i can't wait to see what they do when there is a firestorm of fresh news - such as will happen at the time of the dem/rep conventions, election day or say when CA has our expected uber-earthquake (assuming i manage to put my kindle & desiccants in a ziploc bag with a solar-powered charger in time).

5.0 out of 5 stars I can see why this is a big seller on the Kindle, April 30, 2008
This review is from: The New York Times - Latest News (Kindle Edition)
A great addition to the Kindle; I can't imagine anyone cancelling "New York Times Latest News" after giving it a try. Stories are varied, in depth, well written, and update several times a day, allowing subscribers to track the latest developments in the big news stories during any given period. The presentation of the articles on the Kindle is clean, organized, and pleasing to the eye; and most articles contain a photograph, which look just fine on the Kindle, too. New articles arrive, old ones drop off, no muss, no fuss. If I'm constantly using this blog now (and I am), I can't imagine how helpful this subscription will be this summer during trips to the shore and mountains when I'll be away from televisions and computers. With all the benefits and the economical price, "New York Times Latest News" was an easy buying decision for me, and you'll likely find it to be so, too.

Note: Amazon frequently updates the presentation and functionality of Kindle blogs and periodicals, so as this review gets older, it may no longer accurately describe the current version of this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars New York Times - Latest News, April 24, 2008
This review is from: The New York Times - Latest News (Kindle Edition)
I am still in the trial period for this - but it is great (I don't know how anyone would have time for more of the NYTimes than this). The stories are in-depth, it is not a headline news product . . . and I feel it has put me in closer touch with the issues around current events. I will continue to subscribe - I am much more likely to read it on the Kindle than I am through my browser.

Also, it refreshes and deletes itself, i.e. it requires no management. I love that!

1.0 out of 5 stars Went from 5 star to 1 star overnight, August 30, 2014
Dondi "watcher" (Cincinnati, OH USA) - See all my reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars A little hard to navigate, October 23, 2009
Micah Cowan (Silicon Valley, California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The New York Times - Latest News (Kindle Edition)
The articles are (of course) high-quality; but the blog articles seem to be downloaded out-of-order compared to how they appear in the "articles list". So, when three new articles arrive, I need to fish through the entire articles list to figure out which are the new ones (no indication, I just have to remember what I've read; and often the new articles are closely related to ones I've already read).

On the other hand, it's vastly cheaper than subscribing to the regular New York Times, and maybe by the time you read this, they'll have worked out the ordering issue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value (+ sync issue resolution), April 23, 2010
Deb H (Madison, WI) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The New York Times - Latest News (Kindle Edition)
As others have indicated, this feed features a great deal of quality content at a fair price.

It does seem to have problems re-syncing after my wireless has gone offline for a period. To get it started again, restart the Kindle (Home > Menu > Settings > Menu, select "Restart.").

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to 5 stars..., August 30, 2014
Paige L. (Oswego, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The New York Times - Latest News (Kindle Edition)
I started every morning for the last three years reading this excellent blog, with 20 or so full-text articles at a time. Yesterday, Aug 29, 2014, the blog changed to merely a headline plus a one sentence summary of the articles. I will be canceling today.

Update 9/4/14: After checking some recent reviews and reading that the blog had been restored, I re-subscribed. It's back to being one of the best values out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to Five Stars After Unprecedented Outage, August 30, 2014
This review is from: The New York Times - Latest News (Kindle Edition)
This is the killer app for the eInk Kindle. Anywhere in the US, I have a superior newspaper front page, plus continuations, plus a few other stories, updated every hour or so.

I originally wrote this as a one star review due to a outage-like event over the 2014 Labor Day weekend. You may see one star reviews left over from this event, with review authors assuming the change in service was permanent. That's a backhanded tribute to the consistent good service experienced over the past several years. We, including me, weren't used to there being a problem, and so assumed the worst.

The New York Times - Latest News