4.0 out of 5 stars Mortician to Begging Dog: "Now Play Dead."
Before discussing the cartoons (which are wonderful), let me warn you against the miniature paperback version. It is very small, the cartoons are hard to see, you need a magnifying glass for some, the reproduction quality is poor, and the paper is not good. Stick with the hardcover.
Published on July 15, 2000 by Donald Mitchell

3.0 out of 5 stars Great cartoons but so tiny!
Published on July 11, 2010 by rezzylou

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Mortician to Begging Dog: "Now Play Dead.", July 15, 2000
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
I have rated the book as the hardcover version. The only drawback I saw to the 101 cartoons was the lack of a witty introduction (like those in the cartoon books of the New Yorker for business and money).
In a spirit of self-disclosure, I must admit that I do not have a dog now . . . but I have had one in the past. Several of my friends have dogs, so I think I can properly evaluate the book from a dog lover's point of view.
The relationship between human and dog is an especially close one. The humor works well when it alludes to that. For example, in a wordless cartoon, a dog looks resentfully at a man reading a book entitled "How To Be Your Own Best Friend." Another one has a couple in bed with lots of dogs: "If you lie down with pugs, you wake up with pugs." In a third, a woman with two suitcases is seen leaving with the dog while a man inquires of the dog: "Et tu, Baxter?"
Dog-human reversals also work: A dog doctor examines a human and notes, "Well, your nose feels cold."
Sometimes the humor is aimed at the human, such as: A psychic tells a dog her/his fortune, "You will be going for a long walk."
Inevitably cats are part of the picture: Two dogs talking to each other spot a cat walking down the side walk, "Do you want to handle this, or should I?"
Sometimes dogs become just like people as in: A man walks down the street with a dog walking on hind legs holding onto his arm, "She never took to the leash."
What do dogs think of their humans? "They never pushed me. If I wanted to retrieve, shake hands or roll over, it was entirely up to me."
As someone who had a Sheltie, this one got to me: A sheep is leading lots of dogs in a herd, and a man says to another man, "I understand that in your country this thing is done quite differently."
Humor is a window onto our stalled beliefs that keep us from grasping our full potential of progress and joy from each day. Let these wonderful dog cartoons remind you of the potential in everything around you!

5.0 out of 5 stars The book was hilarious, especially since I love dogs!, February 7, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: The New Yorker Book of Dog Cartoons (Hardcover)
I could barely put it down, I just wanted to read "one more cartoon". Dog lovers like me would like it the most, but anyone would love it. My 11 year old daughter read it and liked it too!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great cartoons but so tiny!, July 11, 2010
I remember seeing this book shortly after it was first published, and the cartoons were shown considerably larger than they orginally appeared in the New Yorker, with ample margins. This is literally a pocket-sized book; the cartoons are smaller than they originally appeared and the margins are so narrow that it's hard to hold it open without your thumbs blocking some of the image. Still, the cartoons are first rate, and from the standpoint of a dog and cartoon lover, better small than not at all.

1.0 out of 5 stars Book size too small!, January 7, 2013
While the cartoons themselves are priceless, the size of the book is ridiculous, VERY small and difficult to read.Book measures about 4"X3", waste of money, if I had known how small, I wouldn't have bought it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Ridiculous!, December 18, 2013
Beware! It is not clear in the description that this is a teeny tiny book. $10 for 4 inches? Ridiculous! What was going to be a gift is now a stocking stuffer. First time I've ever been burned by Amazon.

1.0 out of 5 stars too small to read, March 20, 2013
the cartoons were so small that the text could not be read. It didn't occur to me that I had to check the size of a book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious!, November 4, 2008
This review is from: The New Yorker Book of Dog Cartoons (Hardcover)
If you love the humor of New Yorker cartoons, and you love dogs, this is a no-brainer; it's wonderful. They also make a calendar of dog cartoons, which I get every year. Sophisticated humor, sometimes a little dry, sometimes a little racy, guaranteed to make you laugh out loud if dog culture is your culture.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dog and Cat cartoons from The New Yorker, March 11, 2012
As always, The New Yorker publishes terrific collections of the cartoons from years past. This collection is just as meaningful, along with the Book of Cat Cartoons. And though both collections are extensive and hilarious, the printing quality from page to page can vary from good to not so good. The books themselves are also about the size of a CD jewel case. Pretty small for a $10 book printed in black and white, with the exception of the covers. But if you are a long-standing reader of The New Yorker as I am (more than 40 years now), you can forgive the rather steep price and simply enjoy the content. And since I have been clipping and collecting New Yorker cartoons for decades, I am always pleased to find a more concise and orderly collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars I kept this gift for myself, September 8, 2012
This review is from: The New Yorker Book of Dog Cartoons (Hardcover)
I bought this book as a gift for my brother in law, who casts brass scuptures of whimsical animals, mostly dogs. I thought it would give him some ideas. After looking through it, I decided it was too funny to give away. Every dog lover should have a copy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Just not very funny., June 3, 2014
This review is from: The New Yorker Book of Dog Cartoons (Hardcover)
I love New Yorker cartoons, I love dogs, and I love humor. But, there was barely a decent chuckle to be found here.

The book was published in 1992. However, some of the cartoons must date back to the 1940s (there is a reference to a Packard automobile). This would not be a problem, except that the cartoons are just not very clever or funny.

I bought this as a gift, and was disappointed. You can flip through this book in about 10 minutes, and then you are done. As a hardcover book, it seems too nice to throw away, so now you are stuck with it until you can foist it on someone else. Do so as soon as possible, and then move on with your life, sadder, poorer, but wiser.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The New Yorker Book of Dog Cartoons
The New Yorker Book of Dog Cartoons by New Yorker (Hardcover - October 6, 1992)
$24.00 $18.50