on August 2, 2012
I bought this cover several days ago. I'm tickled with the fit and the fact that it adds so little to the size of the tablet. It is nicely crafted and the materials feel like they are of high quality. I'm not easily impressed, but I'm amazed this only cost me $30. I really like the multiple positions available with this cover. With rare exception I can always find the perfect position for whatever I'm doing. My wife has one with 3 creases instead of 2, and she simply can't get it in exactly the right position. My one frustration was that the tablet kept slipping out of the second groove, the one that's just perfect for reading. If I touched the screen to turn a page or tried to navigate to a different screen, the tablet would slip out of the groove. I was trying to figure out how to give the edge of the tablet more grip when it dawned on me another option was to deepen the groove. If you're having this issue, take a hard smooth object (the edge of a spoon will do) and run it back and forth along the sides of the groove. This will sharpen the sides of the groove against the backing material and change the groove from a round-bottom groove to a square groove. Problem solved. That's how this got 5 stars instead of 4 from me.
on March 25, 2012
The Good: lightweight, fits the new iPad well with easy access to all the buttons

The Bad: I do not mind that the magnetic on-off function does not work but the way the back portion buckles up and does not lay flat when open bothers me. It seems to be a design oversight which is quite irritating to have about half of the back buckled up an inch rather the laying flat when the case is open.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 11, 2012
I was impressed with this cover - looks nice, feels nice; however the groove between the leafs or "flaps" isn't deep enough so the ipad is constantly sliding down. Really annoying.
on April 4, 2012
I have searched extensively for a case for my ipad gen 3. I hoped this case would end my search. Unfortunately it did not.

Pros: Great feel and grip for holding the ipad. Slim fit design. Excellent ipad protection. Solid manufacturing. Tripod case design for sturdy multiple angle viewing and typing. Magnetic latch to hold the cover closed on the font.

Cons: The cover's hinge is not long enough to flip around and sit flat on the back which is very annoying to hold. The magnetic on/off switch does not work to turn the ipad on and off, combined with the fact that when the cover twists I can hear it turn on and off. The ipad slips out slightly when converted to tabletop angled viewing.

If the magnet worked, the cover laid flat around back, and a tiny bit of rubber on the tabs helped grip the ipad in place better I would love it.

My search continues!
on July 12, 2012
This item has the potential to be a winner but just didn't cross the finish line. When reading reviews I didn't see any of my initial concerns addressed so I figured for the price I would try it out. I literally just unpacked it and here the cons that are immediately evident.
1. With the cover on you can not fold the flap back to allow the iPad to lay flat.
2. You can not form a "small footprint" pyramid for the iPad to rest against like the apple smart cover. You can only stand it using the notches on the flap (more desk space required).
3. The lower corners are very weak and easily detach when handling the iPad.
4. The notches do not hold that well. The iPad continually slips out of the standing position.
5. When closed the flap does not lay flat against the screen. It peeks at the edge where it connects to the cover.
6. Not as thin as you are led to believe. It actually adds substantial thickness and weight.

The look and feel of the case is nice its just not a winner. I'll try and post some pics to show what I'm describing.
review image review image review image review image review image
on August 24, 2012
What a disappointment this turned out to be. I literally just finished printing out my return labels for this one.

I purchased this solely on the purpose of it being able to support the ipad sitting up. However, it's so flimsy that it falls over at the slightest touch, movement, breeze or dog bark (yes, my dog barked and it collapsed). You will find yourself so frustrated with this, that you will want to throw it.

It's good if you only want the magnetic cover but it's horrible if you want to use it as a stand.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 4, 2012
I spent hours researching all the ipad case choices for my new ipad3. Did I want the one with the keyboard (Zagfolio), did I want atomic bomb protection (Otterbox Defender) or just a case to enjoy its simplicity ? I chose simplicity since it will only be used by adults with good eye to hand coordination. However, simplicity still needed to choose her suitor.

As many reviewers have noted, the aluminum back is slippery and so the case needs a back cover for a good grip and to provide any protection from accidental bruises, scrapes or splashes. So, my second choice was to opt for a full case as opposed to just the top cover originally provided by Apple for the ipad2.

I narrowed my case choices to a price point under $30.00 so that eliminated the artsy, clever covers. I also didn't want the versions with elastic straps since I did not like the look and thought I would tire of putting my hand inside the strap while reading in portrait mode.

I wanted the smart cover that turns the ipad on/off when the cover is opened or closed. I wanted the ability to watch movies in landscape and type at an incline. I finally narrowed my choices to the INVELLOP BLACK Leatherette Cover Case and the Photive Portfolio Case. Past reviewers have complained that the smart covers did not work but that has been fixed for those currently shipped.

I eventually decided on the Photive because of the way it folds out in landscape. The Photive model incorporates magnets in the back panel so you can pop it out for a landscape view with two viewing angles. My belief is that the larger platform provides more stability for viewing on unstable surfaces like your stomach or on a pillow. Also, many reviewers did not like that the back cover did not fold flat while reading in portrait mode. Although that is true, I like the the ability to grip the slight bulge and found it fits solidly on my lap because of the bulge.

Finally, the color is an executive black with a textured leatherette finish -- not shiny or slippery. It did not arrive with a smell and fit my ipad3 perfectly. Five stars for an affordable, elegant and functional cover for the ultimate toy.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The front cover has a nice feel to it. The back cover is made from cheap plastic that I worry won't last too long. The ridges used to prop the iPad in viewing positions are not deep enough to keep the iPad from slipping at the slightest touch. The upper part of the iPad tends to fall a bit out of the case when in a viewing position on a surface that is less than level. The autowake function did not work on my iPad 3 but works well with my iPad 2. (The manufacturer claims to have fixed this for all covers shipping one day after mine did.) The cheap plastic back cover has precise cutouts for the camera and buttons. Many soft covers do not look as neat.
on March 20, 2012
A low profile case that doesn't feel too cheap nor exceptionally awesome. But what can you expect from a 25 dollar case? Confirmed: the magnetic open shut does NOT turn on or off the iPad. I don't mind at all though since I was formerly using a first gen iPad. If you are looking for a low profile case that can offer some protection for your 3rd gen iPad until manufacturers catch up with more options, I'd say this is a good bet.
on June 26, 2012
So with so many choices for cases, it could be a real guessing game. I rarely write reviews unless its one of the extremes ( really bad or the product really stands out ).

So what is was I looking for: A slim case, sleep/wake feature, well made, good feel, edge & back protection, was stable in the landscape position and typing setup.

I have to say, I am a little skeptical at myself (about to write this review) but I am about to rave about this case. Its rare that you find a product that simply just delivers what it claims.

Look & Feel: A great feel, soft leather like texture and look. Super slim, minimal bulk. A re-enforced
back plastic exterior edge. (for the accidental edge bumps)

Function: Has the new magnet location to sleep / wake Ipad 3 screen.
Strong, sturdy & reliable clips that hold the Ipad securely in the case.
Landscape position - Super sturdy, the grooves hold the Ipad securely, I takes deliberate effort
to get Ipad to come out of position.
Typing position - This case has both function Landscape and typing position. An added plus -

If there is anything to critique:
I would say that the magnets definitely function for the intended purpose of sleep / wake. I would like to see stronger or larger magnets. Why - While in my bag, or when carrying my Ipad 3, As the cover shifts you hear the screen turn off and on as the magnets slide back and forward over the sensor.

Also related to the cover, I would like to see some additional magnets added to the middle of the cover. Why - with the cover closed, the Ipad is faced cover down, the cover sags away from the screen , (8 out 10) times the magnet holds, but it slides away from the sensor and the screen turns on. An additional magnet may hold the cover to the Ipad. (my two cents)

Conclusion:
I have had this case for a couple weeks now. I am thoroughly happy. I will probably buy as second...(I may wait and see if support implements a cover tweek)...but If I ever loose it...I know where I am going for a replacement.
Would I recommend someone else biting the bullet, taking the risk and spending their hard earned cash? - Most definitely.
I felt I had to include the possible cons to call this a real review - they are minor at best. It would not stop me from purchasing this for a gift or a replacement.