Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The New iPad 2nd 3rd 4th Generation Magnetic Smart Cover Portfolio Case by Photive With Built-In Stand - Front Back Protection Designed for 3rd 4th Generation iPad (Latest Version With Built-In Magnet for Sleep/Wake Feature) - Black
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on August 2, 2012
I bought this cover several days ago. I'm tickled with the fit and the fact that it adds so little to the size of the tablet. It is nicely crafted and the materials feel like they are of high quality. I'm not easily impressed, but I'm amazed this only cost me $30. I really like the multiple positions available with this cover. With rare exception I can always find the perfect position for whatever I'm doing. My wife has one with 3 creases instead of 2, and she simply can't get it in exactly the right position. My one frustration was that the tablet kept slipping out of the second groove, the one that's just perfect for reading. If I touched the screen to turn a page or tried to navigate to a different screen, the tablet would slip out of the groove. I was trying to figure out how to give the edge of the tablet more grip when it dawned on me another option was to deepen the groove. If you're having this issue, take a hard smooth object (the edge of a spoon will do) and run it back and forth along the sides of the groove. This will sharpen the sides of the groove against the backing material and change the groove from a round-bottom groove to a square groove. Problem solved. That's how this got 5 stars instead of 4 from me.
11 comment|55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 25, 2012
The Good: lightweight, fits the new iPad well with easy access to all the buttons

The Bad: I do not mind that the magnetic on-off function does not work but the way the back portion buckles up and does not lay flat when open bothers me. It seems to be a design oversight which is quite irritating to have about half of the back buckled up an inch rather the laying flat when the case is open.
22 comments|65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 4, 2012
I have searched extensively for a case for my ipad gen 3. I hoped this case would end my search. Unfortunately it did not.

Pros: Great feel and grip for holding the ipad. Slim fit design. Excellent ipad protection. Solid manufacturing. Tripod case design for sturdy multiple angle viewing and typing. Magnetic latch to hold the cover closed on the font.

Cons: The cover's hinge is not long enough to flip around and sit flat on the back which is very annoying to hold. The magnetic on/off switch does not work to turn the ipad on and off, combined with the fact that when the cover twists I can hear it turn on and off. The ipad slips out slightly when converted to tabletop angled viewing.

If the magnet worked, the cover laid flat around back, and a tiny bit of rubber on the tabs helped grip the ipad in place better I would love it.

My search continues!
on May 11, 2012
I was impressed with this cover - looks nice, feels nice; however the groove between the leafs or "flaps" isn't deep enough so the ipad is constantly sliding down. Really annoying.
on August 24, 2012
What a disappointment this turned out to be. I literally just finished printing out my return labels for this one.

I purchased this solely on the purpose of it being able to support the ipad sitting up. However, it's so flimsy that it falls over at the slightest touch, movement, breeze or dog bark (yes, my dog barked and it collapsed). You will find yourself so frustrated with this, that you will want to throw it.

It's good if you only want the magnetic cover but it's horrible if you want to use it as a stand.
on July 12, 2012
This item has the potential to be a winner but just didn't cross the finish line. When reading reviews I didn't see any of my initial concerns addressed so I figured for the price I would try it out. I literally just unpacked it and here the cons that are immediately evident.
1. With the cover on you can not fold the flap back to allow the iPad to lay flat.
2. You can not form a "small footprint" pyramid for the iPad to rest against like the apple smart cover. You can only stand it using the notches on the flap (more desk space required).
3. The lower corners are very weak and easily detach when handling the iPad.
4. The notches do not hold that well. The iPad continually slips out of the standing position.
5. When closed the flap does not lay flat against the screen. It peeks at the edge where it connects to the cover.
6. Not as thin as you are led to believe. It actually adds substantial thickness and weight.

The look and feel of the case is nice its just not a winner. I'll try and post some pics to show what I'm describing.
review image review image review image review image review image
on April 11, 2012
The front cover has a nice feel to it. The back cover is made from cheap plastic that I worry won't last too long. The ridges used to prop the iPad in viewing positions are not deep enough to keep the iPad from slipping at the slightest touch. The upper part of the iPad tends to fall a bit out of the case when in a viewing position on a surface that is less than level. The autowake function did not work on my iPad 3 but works well with my iPad 2. (The manufacturer claims to have fixed this for all covers shipping one day after mine did.) The cheap plastic back cover has precise cutouts for the camera and buttons. Many soft covers do not look as neat.
on July 4, 2012
I spent hours researching all the ipad case choices for my new ipad3. Did I want the one with the keyboard (Zagfolio), did I want atomic bomb protection (Otterbox Defender) or just a case to enjoy its simplicity ? I chose simplicity since it will only be used by adults with good eye to hand coordination. However, simplicity still needed to choose her suitor.

As many reviewers have noted, the aluminum back is slippery and so the case needs a back cover for a good grip and to provide any protection from accidental bruises, scrapes or splashes. So, my second choice was to opt for a full case as opposed to just the top cover originally provided by Apple for the ipad2.

I narrowed my case choices to a price point under $30.00 so that eliminated the artsy, clever covers. I also didn't want the versions with elastic straps since I did not like the look and thought I would tire of putting my hand inside the strap while reading in portrait mode.

I wanted the smart cover that turns the ipad on/off when the cover is opened or closed. I wanted the ability to watch movies in landscape and type at an incline. I finally narrowed my choices to the INVELLOP BLACK Leatherette Cover Case and the Photive Portfolio Case. Past reviewers have complained that the smart covers did not work but that has been fixed for those currently shipped.

I eventually decided on the Photive because of the way it folds out in landscape. The Photive model incorporates magnets in the back panel so you can pop it out for a landscape view with two viewing angles. My belief is that the larger platform provides more stability for viewing on unstable surfaces like your stomach or on a pillow. Also, many reviewers did not like that the back cover did not fold flat while reading in portrait mode. Although that is true, I like the the ability to grip the slight bulge and found it fits solidly on my lap because of the bulge.

Finally, the color is an executive black with a textured leatherette finish -- not shiny or slippery. It did not arrive with a smell and fit my ipad3 perfectly. Five stars for an affordable, elegant and functional cover for the ultimate toy.
on March 20, 2012
A low profile case that doesn't feel too cheap nor exceptionally awesome. But what can you expect from a 25 dollar case? Confirmed: the magnetic open shut does NOT turn on or off the iPad. I don't mind at all though since I was formerly using a first gen iPad. If you are looking for a low profile case that can offer some protection for your 3rd gen iPad until manufacturers catch up with more options, I'd say this is a good bet.
on June 25, 2012
Took me awhile to figure out how to make it stand up, but works now.. wish the cover would lay down flat when you view it vertically. Got a hump at the edge of my iPad and doesn't lay flat. Did not show a picture of this position. Also the picture of the cover that lays flat with the iPad setting up, slips off the ridge and is aggrevating.. thats why I folded it back under like a triangle.

The weight of the cover is good and it magnetic or whatever its called holds the front cover correctly...

I'm used to it now and don't pay any attention to it..

See 1 answered question