Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 10, 2013 2:28:57 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 11, 2013 1:36:09 PM PST
Great to have new music by Bowie. I was wondering if anyone knows if I'll Take You There on the deluxe edition is a cover of the old Staple Singers hit. Just curious.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 9:46:27 AM PST
Is that what the cover art is going to look like? Kind of odd but then again it is David. Not sure about the song, have not heard any of them yet.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 7:47:06 PM PST
Here's some info about the cover:

http://virusfonts.com/news/2013/01/david-bowie-the-next-day-that-album-cover-design/

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 2:09:01 PM PST
Budas Root says:
I'm assuming the album title and cover art refer to the lyric of "Heroes": "We can be heroes, just for one day..."

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 5:30:31 PM PST
No that's the artwork for another album cover just something to fill in until it gets done or available for display...sounds like good titles i'm sure it'll at least be "good" to very good.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2013 11:05:15 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2013 4:42:30 PM PST
Jere says:
That's a heartless commentary.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2013 3:14:17 PM PST
bloodnok says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2013 3:26:43 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 24, 2013 3:27:18 PM PST]

Posted on Jan 29, 2013 9:34:16 AM PST
Rocky says:
Oh gee, its an album cover people, get over it.

What I'm concerned about is will this be on Amazon Autorip? If I buy the physical media from amazon, will I automatically get the mp3's in my cloud? I don't see the Autorip icon near the price, but it's a farily new amazon feature so I'm not sure...

Posted on Feb 13, 2013 2:52:55 PM PST
Doctor r says:
If this is the cover (and it is the same one posted on Bowie's own site) it is obviously a commentary on the irrelevence of cover art in this era of digital downloads. Tony Visconti says the actual CD rocks as hard as anything Bowie has ever done.

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 3:21:20 PM PST
art 87 says:

Posted on Feb 28, 2013 10:31:23 PM PST
Bar Man says:
Not that I am advocating this, but just for informational purposes. http://itunes.com/davidbowie You can listen to the whole album on this service, but purchase it from wherever you prefer.

Posted on Mar 2, 2013 5:33:10 AM PST
weak....

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 1:30:00 PM PDT
The Starman pulls off the greatest comeback album in rock'n'roll history with The Next Day
Andy Gill listens to Bowie's first album in a decade - The Next Day (Iso/Columbia) - and says it's as good as anything he's ever made.
From The Independent:

Recorded over the past two or three years in complete secrecy, and heralded by the sudden appearance in January of the single "Where Are We Now?", David Bowie's The Next Day may be the greatest comeback album ever.

It's certainly rare to hear a comeback effort that not only reflects an artist's own best work, but stands alongside it in terms of quality, as The Next Day does. The fact that producer Tony Visconti has worked with Bowie since the Seventies undoubtedly helps cement the connection with his earlier work - there are constant frissons of recognition while listening to these songs, as if Bowie is deliberately mining memories. That notion is reinforced by the typically artful cover, which takes the original sleeve for the "Heroes" album and partly obscures its image with a simple sans-serif font title panel and, on the rear, a similarly blunt track listing, making the new album a sort of palimpsest of history.

But if the design and sound suggest a link with the past, the songs - save for "Where Are We Now?" - are all about today, as might be expected from such an astute barometer of societal and cultural mores as Bowie. Visconti has suggested in interviews that some songs, notably the title track, were prompted by the singer's recent immersion in books about medieval history; but whatever their origins, the songs seem to refract elements of the modern day, offering sometimes brutal commentaries on contemporary events.

And there's a sleek, muscular modernity about the arrangements, mostly recorded with such Bowie stalwarts as guitarist Gerry Leonard, bassist Gail Anne Dorsey and drummer Zachary Alford, with telling contributions from rock guitarist Earl Slick and avant-rock soundscape guitarist David Torn. The result is an album that conveys, with apt anxiety or disgust, the fears and troubles of a world riven by conflict and distracted by superficial celebrity.
Edit your post: To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?) The Starman pulls off the greatest comeback album in rock'n'roll history with The Next Day
Andy Gill listens to Bowie's first album in a decade - The Next Day (Iso/Columbia) - and says it's as good as anything he's ever made.
From The Independent:

Recorded over the past two or three years in complete secrecy, and heralded by the sudden appearance in January of the single "Where Are We Now?", David Bowie's The Next Day may be the greatest comeback album ever.

It's certainly rare to hear a comeback effort that not only reflects an artist's own best work, but stands alongside it in terms of quality, as The Next Day does. The fact that producer Tony Visconti has worked with Bowie since the Seventies undoubtedly helps cement the connection with his earlier work - there are constant frissons of recognition while listening to these songs, as if Bowie is deliberately mining memories. That notion is reinforced by the typically artful cover, which takes the original sleeve for the "Heroes" album and partly obscures its image with a simple sans-serif font title panel and, on the rear, a similarly blunt track listing, making the new album a sort of palimpsest of history.

But if the design and sound suggest a link with the past, the songs - save for "Where Are We Now?" - are all about today, as might be expected from such an astute barometer of societal and cultural mores as Bowie. Visconti has suggested in interviews that some songs, notably the title track, were prompted by the singer's recent immersion in books about medieval history; but whatever their origins, the songs seem to refract elements of the modern day, offering sometimes brutal commentaries on contemporary events.

And there's a sleek, muscular modernity about the arrangements, mostly recorded with such Bowie stalwarts as guitarist Gerry Leonard, bassist Gail Anne Dorsey and drummer Zachary Alford, with telling contributions from rock guitarist Earl Slick and avant-rock soundscape guitarist David Torn. The result is an album that conveys, with apt anxiety or disgust, the fears and troubles of a world riven by conflict and distracted by superficial celebrity. Guidelines

Posted on Apr 19, 2013 9:13:45 PM PDT
on every comment everyone is argueing about the album about the album cover mabey the record label did this on purpose??? Bowie well was responsible who knows I think I will get the vinyl edition cds suck as collectables.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2013 10:01:31 PM PDT
so it seems you have noticed://the design is the biggest argumentnt personaly I think the record label did this on purpose what do you think? was it a way to create an internet hoaxe in order to market the vinyl edition so the greedy corperations could make more money///&$$$$$$$. mabey?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  15
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  Jan 10, 2013
Latest post:  Apr 19, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Next Day (Deluxe Edition)
The Next Day (Deluxe Edition) by David Bowie (Audio CD - 2013)
4.2 out of 5 stars   (456)