5.0 out of 5 stars The Nia Technique

2.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat disappointed
Published on February 21, 2011 by StillWaters

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The Nia Technique, February 3, 2005
This review is from: The Nia Technique: The High-Powered Energizing Workout that Gives You a New Body and a New Life (Paperback)
I timidly walked into my first NIA class six years ago,not knowing what to expect, bald from chemotherapy, my head covered in a bandana. As the music started, Laurie, our teacher, guided us into the movements and directed us to extend our arms outwardly in a fluid manner. I thought, "Who am I to move my arms with grace?" I felt stiff and embarrassed. As a woman in her fifties (who exercised regularly), I had never been taught to actually be in my body. The body was to be controlled, starved and critiqued, but never honored. Then, as Laurie continued her gentle coaching, the rhythm of the music pulled me in, and I knew I had found something very special. My body desperately needed healing. It may not be cured of breast cancer but it certainly could experience some measure of healing. As the class continued, I dropped deliciously into feeling each joint move and become more limber. I almost felt like they were thanking me for moving them in such a luxurious way. By my third class, and still to this day, I often execute a movement and tears will well up as joy, yes joy, is released. I feel immense gratitude to my teacher, Laurie, who brings meaning, beauty and strength to each movement. And I send gratitude also to Debbie Rosas for bringing to life this most authentic form of mind/body/spirit integration. Nia is for everyone, all ages, and all abilities, working together for fitness, heart work and simple delight in recovering the body. I encourage everyone to try Nia.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fitness for everyone!, July 6, 2005
Candy "yalegirl03" (New Haven, CT United States) - See all my reviews
I highly recommend this book and the corresponding workshop videos available through the NIA website. I am a full figured woman, over 350lbs, and I took a NIA class at my college gym with people of various fitness levels. I could keep up with the routine and break a sweat while those half my size were still challenged as well. The class was fun and involves your whole body. I enjoyed dancing and moving and after each class I feel invigorated and refreshed. I particularly enjoyed the stretches and relaxation poses towards the end.

Nia is adaptable for all skill levels and is easy on the joint. I felt sort of embarrassed at first, but as time wore on I got more into it. My flexibility was increased as well as my self esteem as I learned to truly enjoy movement! I am purchasing this book to accompany my videos so that when I move away, I can still do Nia.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nia kicks you to a new level - gently, May 11, 2005
The manual is easy to follow, the movements are truly joyful and easy to acheive and one ends the session with a sense of serene joy and self love. My one caveat is that the authors might do well to excise the catty comments about "aerobic bunnies" and simply focus on the beauty of their method which is phenomenal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nia changed my body and my life, July 12, 2005
I discovered Nia 13 years ago, became a certified teacher six years ago, and, with the guidance of the Nia organization, I opened my own studio three years ago. Nia has not only shown me a way to stay fit for the rest of my life, it has made it possible to achieve my lifelong dream of owning my own studio, which is located in the New Haven area of Connecticut. What makes this book outstanding is that it not only explains how to get fit and stay fit through Nia, it is filled with inspirational stories about people whose lives have changed through this beautiful and joyful technique. I recommend it highly to anyone - especially anyone who wants to be fit but can't stand to work out. Nia is something my students look forward to. As a matter of fact, my students have only one complaint when they finish class - their cheeks hurt from smiling so much!

5.0 out of 5 stars A book above the rest, January 27, 2005
I just got this book. It is wonderful! I've been doing Nia for over 5 years now and the difference it has made in my life through my body is beyond words - but I'll share what I can. Prior to doing Nia I was challenged with chronic pain from two abdominal surgeries, I as well, experienced endometriosis and have Addison's Disease (adrenal failure). The practice of Nia - over time - has reduced or eliminated the chronic pain, and it is the only exercise form I can do that doesn't exhaust my body. Dancing Through Life has made all the difference in the world. As I read the book, I find myself learning so much. The pictures are great, the words inspirational and the practice is very doable. My Nia practice continues to unfold and enrich my life. I can't imagine life without Nia and I hope you will enjoy the book, find a class, and give it a go.

2.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat disappointed, February 21, 2011
I find myself wishing I had ordered one of the Nia DVDs before this book. Trying to learn exercises from a book only is difficult, and after seeing videos of classes online, I have no idea how to put the exercises together to make it a high energy workout it's supposed to be. I am also somewhat annoyed by the authors' negativity toward other exercises. It seems like any other exercise besides Nia isn't good enough, they emphasize that other exercise causes pain and injury, and is repetitive. Although obviously some traditional exercise is this way, there are plenty of exercises that people do because they like them and they do feel good, they're not repetitive and don't cause injury. I was so excited about getting this book but this attitude that Nia is the end all of exercise and perfect in every way is a turn off, and I'm not sure I want to pursue Nia further.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Revolutionary and Pleasurable Dance Through Life, February 26, 2007
A friend discovered The NIA Technique (neuromuscular integrative action) while researching something to help her cope with difficult health problems. After the first class, we were sold on NIA with it's non-impact, yet aerobic, fluid dance, martial arts and healing arts moves. Nia stresses the joy of movement, and taking the path of least resistance to move "The Body's Way."

Our instructor, Kellie, stressed pleasure while moving. That intrigued us. We could achieve optimum effects with no more pounding or even low-impact aerobics, or repetitive motions on a machine. But how? Kellie suggested The Nia Technique by Debbie Rosas and Carlos Rosas for obtaining more background information than she could share during our hour plus class.

In The Nia Technique, Debbie Rosas and Carlos Rosas, the creators, share their story. In the 80's and 90's Debbie owned and operated a successful aerobics fitness center in California. Due to the high burn out and injury rates involved for the teachers and students, the Rosas set out to research fitness techniques that would eliminate injury and help heal and make fit the body, mind and soul. The culmination of their intense study and research is fusion fitness like no other, incorporating nine classic movement forms from martial arts (T'ai Chi, Ta Kwon Do, Aikido), dance (jazz, modern and Duncan), and the healing arts (Yoga, Feldenkrais, and Alexander) using 52 specific movements.

Besides the history of the creation of The NIA Technique, this book gives detailed descriptions of all the movements, along with wonderful testimonials in every chapter of people who have experienced everything from alleviation of severe pain, to weight loss, to the ability to self-heal from a variety of unhealthy situations and circumstances.

I doubt that I would have been able to do perform the Nia Technique from reading the book alone. But it is a very helpful tool in understanding the movements and what the intentions are behind them. After reading and receiving more knowledge and wisdom of the history and creation of The Nia Technique, I am even more enamored of my classes, and in every move I make not only in class, but in my dance through everyday life.

- Victoria Austin

5.0 out of 5 stars Best thing on the market for fintess and holistic health, January 26, 2005
It's just great!

If you see at the Nia headquarters webpage you can read yourself the first chapter and find out how new, different and exsiting this book is.

Good luck on your journey

4.0 out of 5 stars A Useful Supplement to a Class, February 3, 2011
C. Terni (Charlottesville VA) - See all my reviews
I started attending nia classes at our local gym about four months ago in order to add some variety to my gym routine. Despite feeling pretty goofy doing some of the work, I enjoyed it enough to keep going back. Now I go to five or six classes every week. Nia has helped me increase my aerobic fitness while also helping heal old stress injuries in my shoulder and hip.

I think that nia is a very useful exercise modality for a lot of different people -- you can get all kinds of different things out of it. It would be challenging, however, to use the book on its own. It makes much more sense if you are using the nia videos (available through Amazon) or also taking a class. I find that I need to watch someone execute a movement and then I can replicate it, but the pictures and words in this book are not enough on their own for me to figure out what to do. On the other hand, the book is a HUGE help in figuring out the nuances of different steps and poses in the dance, and it gives you ideas for changing up routines shown in the videos. (I often alter steps to accommodate my healing --but still sometimes achy-- shoulder).

If you are at all interested in nia, it's worth trying. You can do the videos at home, if you like, or you may be able to find classes near you. I am always excited to see a huge range of ages and body types in my classes -- it IS for everybody!

5.0 out of 5 stars NIA has changed my life, July 5, 2007
I started NIA 4 months ago. This book is an excellent supplement to the two classes a week that I take. NIA is an incredible fitness and spiritual experience and this book supports my participation.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›