5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing book for art lovers..., May 13, 2007
This review is from: The Night Life of Trees (Hardcover)
I first saw this book at a local bookstore, which quickly sold out before I could get a copy. This book is a unique collection of the silkscreen prints of three separate artists from the same cultural tradition in India. Every image depicts a tree and is accompanied by a short myth about the creation or transformation of that tree. The art style is tribal, using intricate patterns of dots and lines. If you are a fan of tribal art styles and mythology, you will treasure this book for a long time to come. I would hesitate to recommend the book as a children's book for children under a certain age to more conservative parents, given references to suicide and drug use, in particular marijuana and alcohol.

On the whole, however, I found this to be an amazing and incredibly beautiful book. I look at it and read it often. The computer images do not do justice to the rich color and texture of the images.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and unique., September 26, 2010
This review is from: The Night Life of Trees (Hardcover)
This has got to be one of the most unique and unusual books I have ever owned. It brings together two of my favorite things: art and trees. Each page of art in this book is hand silk screened on heavy black paper. Once the pages are silk screened, they are bound together in a very appealing binding. The prints depict trees from India, along with a bit of the history and folk lore associated with each particular tree. This book is a numbered edition of only 2,000 copies. You can see how it was created by going to You Tube and typing in "tara books". Definitely a small scale, local operation. The artists are amazing. And the price is very inexpensive for a book of hand printed silk screened prints.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure delight, December 14, 2010
This review is from: The Night Life of Trees (Hardcover)
my new favourite thing in the world - this book is a treasure - a delight to hold, touch and be immersed in - be captivated by its stunning use of colour, gorgeous illustrations and poignant tales. I only bought this book because I read a review on Amazon - it was beyond my expectations. I show this book to all my close friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, elegant and captivating, December 26, 2011
Laura P (Olympia, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Night Life of Trees (Hardcover)
This book is now in its 7th edition, and with justification. Limited printing for each edition, but so unusual and visually arresting. I love trees, and also love the use of vibrant color on a black background. The drawings are timeless, and the text is spare but appealing. Each book is handmade. The pages are heavyweight black paper that will probably show wear after you've looked at the book the first 50 times. This is a very fine example of folk/tribal art and I would highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful title, wonderful book, January 10, 2013
Linda Barnes (Northampton, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Night Life of Trees (Hardcover)
I just had to have this book. Because of the title, because of the illustrations. I keep it open on my desk so that it is available to me. I turn the pages from time to time so that I am looking at something new and different. It inspires me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a beauty., April 22, 2013
This review is from: The Night Life of Trees (Hardcover)
This book's art work it incredible. I often contemplate the idea of turning some of it into wall art but I can't bring myself to take a page away from the book. I would love to buy an extra one just for that purpose. If you are into artistic books, this is worth adding to yours and your kids collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spectacular book, April 5, 2013
This review is from: The Night Life of Trees (Hardcover)
Everything about this book is luscious. From the art, to the paper it is printed on. Just gorgeous and very inspiring.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing artwork, February 4, 2013
This review is from: The Night Life of Trees (Hardcover)
I happen to teach graphic design, and when I read about this book I immediately added it to my wishlist for Christmas as a gift for my children.

Amazing illustrations, beautifully crafted. My kids love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything I expected!, January 11, 2013
Eve Bennett (Portland, Maine, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Night Life of Trees (Hardcover)
I saw the video that showed this extraordinary art work being made. I bought the book and was thrilled. Beautiful!

5.0 out of 5 stars Exquisite to behold, October 22, 2014
Joy Corcoran (Portland, Oregon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Night Life of Trees (Hardcover)
This book is a pleasure to read, touch and see. The art is exquisite line work in bright colors on black handmade paper. The ink has a presence. The narrative is poetic and tells tales that blur the borders between trees, humans, and creatures. It's beautiful enough to defy description. It's as much a work of art as it is a compelling book. If you'd like to read more about Tara books, check out my blog post: http://www.joycorcoran.com/2014/10/tara-books-slender-art-galleries-on.html

The Night Life of Trees
The Night Life of Trees by Bhajju Shyam (Hardcover - June 1, 2006)
$46.95 $32.13
In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process.