Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Night Visitor: A Shaman Mystery (Charlie Moon Series Book 5)
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on March 10, 2014
I realize that Doss is a best-selling author, but he won't be selling to me again.

I will try to be positive first. The American Indian beliefs and legends Doss describes are fascinating and well done. Daisy is a fully developed, delightful character. The plot goes along nicely until it goes not only off the rails, but over the cliff. I know he writes about shamans and their special gifts, but Night Visitor goes too far. I lost my willing suspension of disbelief at time travel.

Charlie Moon is a cardboard cutout, as are most of the other characters. His romantic entanglement (I won't ruin it for you.).

Finally, Doss is a bad writer. For example, if I had a dollar for every time Charlie is called "the big Ute policeman," I would be as wealthy as Doss is. Maybe he doesn't like editors.

If you enjoy mysteries that feature American Indian policemen or amateur sleuths on the reservation, you would be better served by reading Margaret Coel or rereading the master, Tony Hillerman.
on June 11, 2015
This wasn't as good as the others. Charlie's love interests are always the same type of person. I didn't know who'd done what until the very ending, so that's good. It was an entertaining read, and I can't wait to read the rest of these books.
on April 21, 2014
I'm a James D. Doss fan, but this one disappointed me. It wasn't edited well, or perhaps that's due to the kindle version; but it contained a lot of spelling errors. Also, I found the content to be a lot like one of his other book, "Shadow Man." I also felt that the whole dream sequence with the child seeing the past could have been deleted without negative impact on the story. In fact I would have preferred that - or if Doss needed to tie of the egg-rock he could have done so with less gore. But maybe that's just me.
on August 25, 2013
as I stated James Doss is no Tony Hillerman, but he can tell an equally good story. It is filled with quirky characters( like Daisy ) who sees visions and is anything but a sedate senior.
From start to finish it involves you in the characters lives and exactly what each one is thinking.
It does however ,go off on a tangent at times and almost forget to get back to the problem at hand, but eventually does and wraps things up in a way that is both satisfying and heartwarming.
He even manages to slip some comedic touches into the very suspensful areas.
All in all a very entertaining read.
on January 5, 2015
A Charlie Moon mystery. Wonderful series that I cannot help but recommend to everyone. Just read in order of publication. Yu are in for a treat with Charlie Moon and his aunt Daisy who is a real trip in herself.
on March 17, 2000
Jame Doss has outdone himself with this book. The reader is caught up in an intriguing mystery full of colorful characters and spiritulism so well put together that it is difficult to put the book down once it is started and is kept guessing at "whodunit" until the very end of the book.
on December 2, 2014
About 2 years ago I accidently happened on to a Charlie Moon mystery and have been totally addicted to these James Doss books since. This book is as good as the others. I have spent a lot of time around the Four Corners area and currently live in Southwestern NM so enjoy the setting and the culture of the Native American reservations as depicted in this and the other Charlie Moon books. Lastly I have grown to love the characters that thread their way through the books. There are only 3 left that I have not read and I am missing this exceptional series already. James Doss is a master of wit, comedy, sleuth and good old storytelling.
on December 20, 2012
Kudo to James Doss and his Charlie Moon series. Love Charlie and his Aunt and friend Sheriff Scott . A wonderful series. Full of humor and insite into Native American Folklore. Am working my way through the entire series and enjoying it very much. Would recommend it to anyone who enjoys nature and a good mystery.
on July 28, 2013
This was the only book left in the series I had not was. I have truly enjoyed each and every one of Mr Doss's books in the Charlie Moon series. Not so rough and graffic as so many books are now a days. I want a good story that keeps me interested and my mind working. I also have to find something in a book I can relate to and I an farmilar with that part of the country I can picture it all in my minds eye. And finally Aunt Daisy she is so much like my late Grandmother I have to laugh out loud at all the pickles she gets herself into and love Charlie for making sure she gets out of the under his watchful eye.
I know if another book had been written poor love stricken Sara might have finally gotten her life long wish and married Moon. James Doss will be terribly missed a great loss to the literary world my heart goes out to his family for their loss as well he will be missed.
on April 4, 2014
Doss creates delightful characters and fun stories. But he clutters them up with so many unnecessary and over-the-top adjectives, and so many long-winded, tortured descriptions that I've found his work increasingly difficult to read. I've read several of his books, and even though his prose annoyed me, I kept at it because I liked the characters. This book, however, was the corker. I must bid Charlie Moon and his cohorts a fond adieu. I simply cannot bring myself to slog through another swamp of Doss's florid verbiage.

PS. People in the American west don't use the word "whilst." Just sayin'.