Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on November 11, 2011
I suppose I've grown picky about what I read in my "old age." I used to read all of John Grisham's books but no longer even look at them since he since they all have such unhappy endings now. I don't want to read hundreds of pages only to see the good guys lose and the bad guys win. I rarely read Dean Koontz now because he spends too much time inside his characters' heads.

I like for things to happen in the books I read. Things happen in "The Ninth District", but I would have liked it if there was even more action. I liked the lead character, Jack, but I would have been OK knowing a little less about his personal life. And I would have liked to know a little more about the bad guys's life. He was a really good bad guy.

"The Ninth District" was impeccably written, the characters well developed, and the bad guy was really bad. These elements make for a good read.
77 comments|179 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 23, 2011
A great thriller in a unique landscape. Not a cookie cutter action yarn by any standard, this is fresh and inventive, with just the right mix of brains and kinetics.
on September 29, 2011
Author Doug Dorow presents a realistic action thriller story that makes one feel like you are hanging on for life as FBI Agent Jack Miller drives hell-bent in quest of the Governor, bank robber and killer. The detailed descriptions are smoothly written to allow a comfortable fast read. Does Agent Miller get his man? Does he get his woman? Read this great story for the answers.
on March 11, 2012
The writing was adequate and the character development was adequate as well but there more unresolved issues at the end than at the beginning and since this book may be one of a series, then one issue may be resolved in the future but elements essential to this story are left unanswered. We never get a true explanation of the bad guy's motive and one major question as to why someone is murdered is just left as question mark. Although I think I figured it out, this is a story, I don't want to guess about motives, that a story's purpose.

I was able to obtain this as a free download so I'm not out any money but if I had paid for the book I would not have been pleased. On an up-note, formatting was good, no obvious typos.
on April 12, 2013
The Ninth District - A Thriller I purchased this Kindle book shortly after release and should have left a review earlier.

One of my favorite things is to discover new authors and especially ones I feel have a future. I didn't go wrong here. This is a great read, it almost demands to be read in one setting as you want, no make that need, to know what happens with both the characters and the story.

As a former Police Officer I notice details about books that aren't spot on, and there were almost none in this that distracted me from the great character driven plot.

Jack Miller is an FBI agent with two goals in this novel. He has to mentor a new recruit while facing a foe that's making it personal in this wonderful debut novel by Douglas Dorow.

The author manages to not only tell a fine story that will keep you turning the pages, but he brings the characters to life, and lets you know them without psychoanalyzing them, something I feel we see far too much of in books these days.

Opening with a bank robbery that's seems to be nothing more than a personal challenge to Jack, a masked man kills a pregnant woman, but not before saluting Jack on camera.

From there, its all bets off as Jack is on the hunt for an animal who could do this to someone so innocent and nonthreatening, just to call him out.

Go down into the sewers where its really dirty with Jack and see what awaits, travel through the filth and take back what belongs to the Federal Reserve if you dare...for some people its just another day on the job.

But for Jack Miller, it may just be the case that breaks his heart, for he has children of his own, children he'll die trying to protect, if that's what it takes.

I recommend you read this book and I think you'll be glad you did. For a debut novel, it is excellent and I expect that future novels by this author will be just as good if not even better. Bravo Mr. Dorow! I hope to read many more books by you!

Ila in Maine
on January 19, 2013
Douglas Dorow in his new book, "The Ninth District" published by the author gives us a thriller about a high profile robbery of The Federal Reserve of Minneapolis.

From the back cover: The Federal Reserve has never been robbed.

FBI Special Agent Jack Miller, pulled into a high-profile case to mentor a new agent, finds himself in a clash with the toughest opponent of his career. The chase culminates in the bowels of the city, in the storm sewers and tunnels beneath The Ninth District Federal Reserve of Minneapolis.

When I was young I enjoyed reading the novels of Alistair MacLean, the author who gave us "The Guns Of Navarone" and "Ice Station Zebra" among many others. Whenever one of his books would come out I quickly purchased it and settled in for what I knew was going to be a wildly exciting adventure. Unfortunately Mr. MacLean died and there were no more adventures. That is until now and Douglas Dorow. I knew I just had to get my hands on this book figuring Mr. Dorow would provide a good thriller action adventure. Guess what? I was 100% correct! This isn't just any old robbery it is a robbery of The Federal Reserve! The villain is super evil and Jack Miller is in deadly danger as he plays cat-and-mouse with this extremely dangerous opponent. "The Ninth District" is rich with sub-plot and mystery that will keep you guessing as you flip the pages as fast as you can read them. All I can say is that "The Ninth District" is very exciting and great fun to read.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the author. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."
VINE VOICEon November 21, 2012
The Ninth Districk refers to the Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis. A FBI Special Agent, Jack Miller, is assigned a high-profile case, plus he has a new agent as his partner. The opponent is one of the smartest culprits Jack has ever faced. The ultimate chase ends in the storm sewers and tunnels beneath the Ninth District Federal Reserve of Minneapolis. What happens next is anyone's guess.
on November 21, 2011
Doug Dorow has created an exceptional story in The Ninth District. I was glued to the book and wished I didn't even have to put it down for sleep. It had a wonderful balance between crime, drama, suspense and even the peace which comes when enjoying a few moments in nature. If you want a page turner, you can't go wrong with spending time in The Ninth District.
on January 21, 2012
Author Douglas Dorow's first novel, The Ninth District, is a well written thriller that I couldn't put down. He did a great job of showing the personal and professional life of FBI Agent Jack Miller as he hunts a killer/bank robber known as `The Governor.' I completely trusted the author's knowledge of the FBI and the Federal Reserve. His use of realistic environments was excellent. I loved the mix of characters and how they navigated the challenges placed before them.

Excellent job! Can't wait to read more!
on February 16, 2013
I was surprised. This turned out to be a very good read. Great plot, the characters were well thought out. I wanted to take a Xanax too when they were in the tunnels. I can't wait to read the sequel. A big thumbs up.