Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Melanie Martinez $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services gotS5 gotS5 gotS5  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Big Savings in the Amazon Fall Sportsman Event Learn more

on March 28, 2012
I had started a low carb diet prior to finding this book and have found both to be excellent.

About the diet, I was 204 pounds in the middle of Feb., 2012, and am now below 190, with a target of 180. Cutting out carbs worked for me. (In reality, you never go carb free, but you eat good carbs and avoid bad ones.)

The book is entertaining and informative, describing the chemistry about how and why people gain weight due to excess bad carbs, then giving a series of steps to take to get you on your weight loss journey. The book is written in a modern, conversational style - easy to read, easy to relate to.

The book contains links out to all his resources, and I highly recommend the links to the MIT and other lectures, as they give credence to the book.

Finally, this is much more than a diet book. The author, who seems to truly want you to be successful, teaches you to "discover your body" - to get to know what is going on inside you, to build a positive relationship between your mind and body. Building that relationship will create the environment where you not only treat your body better (and lose weight), you'll keep doing so.

Mid April, 2012 Update - I have now lost 20 pounds (from 204 to 184) eating low carbs only - and feel great. Have adjusted my target to 170, though not sure exactly where I will land. For sure my blood sugar has stabilized, no more sugar rushes, and no more starving episodes mid morning or mid day, or ever. And it is nice having the Wii tell me my BMI is now "normal" and not "overweight".

April 28, 2012 Update - I have reached my first goal - 180.2 pounds, this morning on the Wii. So ends my Low Carb Diet, and so BEGINS my Low Carb Lifestyle. We'll see if I really get to 170.

I started this adventure back in Feb. to get to this weight, but I will stay Low Carb (avoiding starches, wheat, and sugar) because of how I feel. No more hunger pains, no more starving. I kept a spreadsheet of my weight, being diligent to use the Wii Fit scale the same time of each morning. Since 2/19/2012 I have dropped an average 2.238 pounds/week. But each week was different, losing from between 0 to 4 pounds. It is a slow process, and I did exercise quite a bit (and will continue to do so).

Going Low Carb has worked for me. Good luck to you.

May 17, 2013 Update - A year later, and I have settled in at a comfortable 172 pounds, which I reached last August. I dropped to a low of 168, but I was too thin, and sometimes pop up to 174. Again, I avoid bread, potato, rice, and added sugar. I eat lots of meat, veggies, and fruit. Like the book says, "real food".

April 5, 2014 update - Another year, and I am still hoover around 172 pounds.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 13, 2012
When first I began the journey of losing weight, I was told to reduce my carbs, but I refused. I wish I had embraced this idea, because since I started doing research, the effects that the grains have on our bodies, such as weight gain, is unbelievable! So, after reading this book, I have changed immensely. I have gone from a size 8 to a size 4 in a months time. I am so thrilled. I am stronger and happier than I ever had been before! I hope that everyone reads this book, it will change your life!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
It has now been 4 months since I read this book, and I have dropped from 175 lbs. to 157 lbs!!! Amazing!! 18 pounds!! In 4 months!! I really wish that Amazon.com would let us assign 10 stars to the one book that has changed our lives the most. This amazing book has completely changed how I view my entire world. I'm practically crying tears of joy at the hundreds of insights that are so clearly spelled out in this book by this friendly & engaging author.

And it all makes me ask one simple question: WHY WHY WHY has NOBODY ever taught me this information before? I have a college degree, I have traveled the world, I am a member of MENSA. Yet never before -- in my 40 years of life -- has anybody ever told me this life-saving and life-enhancing information before!! That's right, I am a freaking member of MENSA -- I have one of the highest IQ's on the planet -- yet I still did not know the information contained in this book! Just goes to show you how absolutely flawed the American educational system really is.

But now, thanks to John McLean, I FINALLY UNDERSTAND what I've always needed to understand about food & nutrition & the human body!!

I was a heavy carb-eating vegetarian for so many years, yet I was always lethargic and ravenous for more food, with a big belly as well. Now I understand why!! John McLean SPELLS THINGS OUT MORE CLEARLY THAN ANYTHING HAS EVER BEEN EXPLAINED TO ME IN MY ENTIRE LIFE.

This book has changed everything about how I perceive food. In less than 4 weeks of adopting the food changes in this book, I had tons more energy, my belly started shrinking down, I felt satiated for much much much longer during the day, and... my waist size DECREASED BY AN ENTIRE INCH! That's right, folks! My waist size dropped from 34 to 33 in just 4 weeks! My pants & shorts LITERALLY started falling off my waist in only 4 weeks... I had to reintroduce BELTS into my life again.

And now that 4 months have passed, I've dropped a total of 18 pounds, and my waist size has dropped down 2 FULL SIZES!! That's right, my waist size has dropped from a size 34 to a size 32. None of my previous pants in my wardrobe will even fit me anymore, even with a belt. Ridiculously, I bought brand new pants in size 33 just a few months ago because of the first round of weight loss, and now all of those brand new 33 pants are too big for me as well. Everything has to get donated to Goodwill right now, as I reinvest in pants that are size 32 instead. Although I'm nervous about buying pants again, because I don't want to keep wasting money on smaller waist sizes when I don't know how much more my waist size is going to go down in the weeks ahead.

I'D LIKE TO POINT OUT ONE IMPORTANT THING: THIS ISN'T JUST A BOOK -- THIS IS AN ENTIRE COLLEGE COURSE IN NUTRITION!! One of my favorite things about this book is that John McLean actually REFERS YOU to dozens of books & videos & audio files that further emphasize his points. So you can read John McLean's book, and then take a detour into several other books that bolster his point, and then come back to continue reading this book. It's amazing!! John McLean has given me a $50,000 college course in nutrition (that ironically isn't available at any college in the entire world)... except it only cost me $2.99 for this gem of a book.

I would have been willing to pay $50,000 for the information contained in this book, yet John McLean is giving away this information for FREE to Kindle owners. Absolutely unreal. Talk about a value.

I can't wait to see where I will be in another 4 months! Thank you, John McLean, for enhancing & enlightening & changing my life!! :) You are an amazing man for creating & publishing this book. I mean that sincerely.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 22, 2012
I enjoyed this book. It teaches the concepts of the low-carb, no-carb revolution in a simple yet loving way. I do really mean loving. The Author comes across as the nicest guy around. The second part of the book is about connecting and communicating with your body. Interesting concepts and great examples throughout the book. A great refreshing read from start to finish. This book has the ability to change your life.(no joke!) I have implemented several items from the book into my life over the past week. The results are so enjoyable. This book is way more than a losing weight book.
on June 23, 2012
Based on positive reviews, read this on Kindle initially and now ordering the paperback version for quicker reference/sharing.

Backstory--6'3" 61 y/o man, topped out at 307# and previously lost a bunch of weight #285-220# about 25 years ago Atkinsing, but for reasons that don't matter fell of and stayed off.

Fast forward to now, still healthy #BP 120-124/70-84, cholesterol good#, but having had one knee replacement #seemingly headed for a second# and having a pre-diabetic BS test #and being what my too-charitable friends call 'big-boned'#, it was time to do something in a thoughtful/committed way. Also read Taubes #the more succinct version, 'Why We Get Fat'# and am midway through Volek/Phinney's 'Low Carbohydrate Living', both very good.

'The Low Carb Revolution: . . .' gave me the most readable/accessible explanation of the science involved, which is exactly what I needed to know #wouldn't you think it'd be enough to know that it works? go figure#. The book does seem geared toward women a bit and the affirmations and 'love yourself, love your body' stuff was superfluous for me. The abundant humor was welcome, if at times a bit cornball!

I've embarked on this journey now #again# and am enjoying shedding the weight and not feeling hungry #I sometimes find myself eating too little, which isn't good either#. McLean's book deserves 5 stars. McLean . . . really? lulz #as he would say#.
on July 1, 2012
I too have been following a low carb lifestyle for the past 3 1/2 months. I had stopped drinking soda quite a while ago as I drank diet soda and did not want the fake sugar. This book just reaffirms what I am doing... Living. I certainly woke up. I was miserable, chronically fatigued, little to no sleep, overweight and could not lose an ounce, Chronic pain. I was afraid I would become diabetic as I have a family history or it. So my chiroprator had me see a nutritionist who does nutritional response testing.

I stopped eating anything with wheat, potato, rice, legumes and within two weeks I was no longer fatigued, had more energy and no pain. I am sleeping well for the first time in 30 years. I look awesome too, you can see it in my face. My doctor told me at a recent visit, that I looked awesome. When was the last time your doctor told you that you look awesome. I still have weight to lose but the fat is disappearing. I no longer have the belly, double chin. I am losing about 3-4 pounds a month. I am about to turn 58 and I certainly look at least 10-15 years younger. This is what the world needs to do. People say they could never give up bread and past, trust me you can and won't miss it. My new treat is strawberries, blueberries, blackberries and rasberries in a cup. delightful.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
If you've been following Gary Taubes, Dr. Eades, Wheat Belly, Lustig etc., you'll not find anything new here.

However, the author puts all that science together in a very life-affirming, positive package, one that is easy to read and very motivational.

I really enjoyed the way the steps to health are laid out, with very simple, easy to follow principles, and the second half of the book is filled with very practical advice to connect the mind/body in a way that if followed will surely impact your life in a very powerful manner.

Finally, his connection of Big Food/Big Diet is dead on correct -- one half of the company is selling the garbage, the other half selling the "cure."

A must read for anyone interested in health and diet issues.
on February 24, 2013
I started out liking the author's talk of his explanation of what happens when we eat different things to our bodies. It was really interesting. Then all of the sudden it became some spiritual book and a lot of self promotion and pushing of his thinking. I kept on reading thinking he's going to get to more talk on the science he spoke about earlier on and just got more of the spiritual, self promotion and his thinkings on life. I finally gave up. I was teased in the beginning and it got me to read a bunch of what I didn't come to read.
on June 10, 2012
I have been trying to lose weight for a couple of years and have become quite a diet book junkie. As I have continued to buy more books, you can deduce that non have worked so far! I am now ashamed to say that I was originaly drawn to this book by the low Kindle price but I can now say that it is worth so so so much more.

I have for a while decided that low carb is probably the way forward,but have somehow never fully grasped the why's and hows, so have fallen flat again and again. This books explains it all in such a way ,that I now understand completely why this works and see that it is the way our bodies have been desperate for us to *return* to eating.
From the first few chapters, I have changed the way I eat already without any will power or force. You will just understand what your body wants and all cravings have gone.You will also discover the way we have all been sold down the river by polititions and big food companies, who in the interest of increasing profits, sold us a completely false set of healthy eating guidelines which have ruined the life and future of millions. This knowledge alone made me so angry I was determined to not be another one of their victims.

The second part of the book will guide you by the hand back to places and things we have forgotten about but feel like home when you get there. I feel like my outlook of life has changed for the better and for good. It is something you must read for yourself.

Lastly, all this is done with wisdom, fun and great humour! I laughed out loud loads of times and was really sad when I finished it. Please John, write some more books! I miss you! x
on July 2, 2012
This is a very well structured and infromative book when it comes to nutrition and the way it affects our body. I am a doctor and I can assure you that the author will not bombard you with anecdotal evidence and personal opinions. The author is a very passionate writer, one can understand that he is very ambitious in his goal of spreading the word of living healthy.
This book talks about low carb dieting and how carbohydrates affect our body. The topic is thoroughly analysed, enough information given without getting tiring. If you are looking for a book that will help you understand better the physiology of nutrition, while giving you an insight on the latest ideas about carbohydrates, this a a good choice. The references used are widely respected, not random researchers bought from food companies. The author definitely feels trustworthy and well informed.
If you are looking for a book with a specific plan of grams and calories, this is not the book for you. The author is not a fan of the calories theory and does not really offer guidance for portion sizing. This book will help you understand how nutrition works in order to decide for yourself how much you want to weight, how you want to look and how you want to feel. I agree in this aspect with the author.
There is also a big part about mental preparation and support that I believe a person struggling with obesity or smoking addiction might be better to review than me.
The reason I give 4 stars to this book is that I dislike it when the author asks for 5 star reviews inside his book. I simply find it unprofessional and not equal to a writer dealing with such an important topic as nutrition is. And unfortunately this happens quite a low, coupled with advertising his other book.
Overall this is a good guidance from a passionate writer, a good start on the journey of improving your nutrition.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...