5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Resource for Frustrated Parents
Another wonderful resource for parents from Elizabeth Pantley. True to her style, she is encouraging and supporting of parents who are struggling, frustrated, and exhausted with the food battles of our little one.

Published on October 13, 2011 by Rational Independent

3.0 out of 5 stars Too preachy about nutrition while misusing statistics
This book has a bunch of practical advice that is worth trying out. However, it flaunts statistics and nutritional studies in a misleading way.

Published on August 10, 2012 by Tiger Samarinka

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Resource for Frustrated Parents, October 13, 2011
Rational Independent (Port Orchard, wa United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The No-Cry Picky Eater Solution: Gentle Ways to Encourage Your Child to Eat—and Eat Healthy (Paperback)

The No Cry Picky Eater Solution covers two "major" areas - the first, how to ensure your child is getting the nutrition they need (with excellent charts on what this is for various age groups - realistic charts that can actually be implemented), the second area, how to increase your child's repertoire of foods they will actually eat.

For the first point, Eliabeth provides ways to increase the nutritional value in what your child will currently eat by hiding healthy items in currently "acceptable" foods, by slowly transitioning into healthier choices (adding 1/3 whole wheat pasta to the standard box of macaroni and cheese), as well as a whole section of recipes (supplied by various authors) on how to add more nutrition to what you are baking or cooking... including wonderful catchy names for these foods - Lord of the Apple Rings & Pink Potatoes.

To the second point... how to increase what your child will actually eat. Elizabeth provides very helpful information on how children develop their sense of taste, how this is developmental and not established at birth - this leads to a different way to conceptualize what the "battle" is actually about and how to approach it. This area was our biggest challenge in our home... we had done the "sneaky" approach of getting nutrition in our son (now 4) but wanted him to "want" the asparagus and other "healthy choices".

Over the last three weeks, we have implemented and used some of the techniques - in the very large section on Tips, Tricks, & Tactics (nearly 70 pages) and have honestly been surprised at the positive results - tasting foods of different texture, shape, colour as well as using this while on vacation which Elizabeth addresses how eating out with children is another separate challenge. An example she uses in the book is how the grilled cheese sandwich at home looks very different at a restuarant... armed with her suggestions, we tested this theory with our son, ordering the always rejected grilled cheese sandwich from the restuarant and used some of her suggestions and amazingly, he not only tried it, but "chose" that he liked it and ate it.

I highly recommend this book to parents who are exhausted, feel they have given up or are about to, and who just want mealtime to not be approached with anxiety, stress, and fights.

Thank you Elizabeth for another wonderful book that is already producing results in areas we had nearly given up on!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Too preachy about nutrition while misusing statistics, August 10, 2012

It keeps presenting snippets of studies under the heading "The Shocker!!!". *But* it does it in a misleading manner. It reports that "more than 40% of children do not always eat breakfast". First of all, you need to define "not always". Second, other studies have shown that the probability of skipping breakfast increases with age. This statistic probably over-represents teenagers, and is not relevant to the age group at hand.

The book also repeatedly implies causation when all that is shown is correlation. Teenagers who have family dinners have less sex. I highly doubt that family dinners are the primary cause. More likely there are other factors, e.g. socioeconomic status, family composition, cultural values etc.

Then, the book encourages parents to aspire to feed their children a diet that is not attainable by most adults. Low-fat cheese?! Give me a break. Just today the New York Times had an article on how difficult it is to produce good-tasting low-fat cheese. Also, the book is down on salt, but actually, the jury is still out on salt. A meta-study of many other studies showed that salt does not have much effect on health. So why make food less tasty for already picky eaters by pushing nutritional dogma that is slowly being debunked? Isn't it more important for children to learn to eat a variety of foods rather than stressing at this stage (when high-fat is OK for most healthy, growing kids) about eating out of the health-food section?

The book also seems down on eating out, but the unspoken assumption is that this means going to a fast-food restaurant or an American sit-down chain restaurant. However, if you live in an area with ethnically diverse dining options, and dining out is financially feasible for you, this is a great way for your kid to try lots of new dishes (in one sitting, if everyone orders something different) without your having to sweat over cooking something from scratch only to have it be rejected by your kid.

Finally, it would be nice if the book justified itself when it offered conflicting advice (it's ok to have many different approaches, but can they be referenced to each other?). First it's, 'don't put food on your child's plate, let them put it there themselves', and then 'don't waste time, have the food already on your child's plate before they are seated'. The book also spends some time acknowledging how many kids like their food separated, and then the very first recipe is fried rice with everything mixed together. I'm looking forward to trying these recipes, but it would help if there was more of a selection for 'segregators' (you know, the kids who reject a dish if it has even a speck of green in it).

5.0 out of 5 stars A helpful and reasonable book!, October 20, 2011
I love Elizabeth Pantley, but I still felt a little bit of anxiety before opening the book. I braced myself thinking that I was going to read about how I was doing everything wrong in terms of trying to feed my picky eater - I'm not strict enough, I hide veggies in other food, it's all my fault he's so picky, etc.

Instead, the book was comforting to me. It places no blame on the parents and instead chalks picky eating up to biology. It urges flexibility, which was VERY validating for me to read because I know that with my generation kids were frequently forced to sit still and clean their plate, something I never felt was fair. All of the tips in the book are totally reasonable (nothing impossible or even stressful) and they work well for my family.

The book also does recommend "hiding" healthy foods in other foods and includes some recipes that made my mouth water. I haven't tried them yet, but intend to soon.

Pantley's approach is nonjudgmental, helpful, and like her other books - gentle. This might be my favorite of her books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent strategies, easy read for busy moms!, November 10, 2011
The latest in Elizabeth Pantley's series of books offers practical solutions for picky eaters. My five year old has responded very well to many of the strategies in this book, most especially her suggestion to allow him to serve his own plate. To my surprise, the first time I tried this he chose 8 cooked carrots out of the steamer and proudly ate ALL of them! Quite a difference from the cajoling it took to get him to eat the two we usually put on his plate! If you are looking for an easy to read book with practical tips and solutions for your picky eater, or guidelines to help your youngest children be more accepting of "normal" foods, this would be an excellent purchase. As in all of her books, Elizabeth Pantley offers a gentle approach to guiding parents through parenthood; it's as if you are having a conversation with a very wise, seasoned mom.

5.0 out of 5 stars Understanding why kids are picky eaters, February 24, 2014
What I appreciated most about this book was how it immediately reassured me that picky eating behavior is normal and common among children, and then it explained the why. If you understand the many possible reasons for this behavior then you can more effectively find solutions. Here's an excerpt from my review of the book on my blog FitMamaEats:

Chapter 1 provides checklists of what is normal picky eating behavior versus an immediate health concern. For example, though your child may eat only a small selection of the same foods every day, does she/he have a lot of energy, sleep well, and fall into a normal height and weight range at doctor visits? The chapter also reviews why kids are picky, with reasons ranging from genetics (the number of sweet and sour taste buds you are born with) to protective instincts (avoiding sour or bitter flavors as found in poisonous plants and spoiled foods) to anatomy (about one-quarter of young children are "supertasters" with an unusually high number of taste buds) to control (no need to explain this one!). Pantley discusses several food facts, of which I found the nutrition information to be completely sound, on why it is important to focus on produce and whole grains while limiting sugar, saturated fat, and sodium.

Chapter 2 is my favorite section discussing four key points: attitude, environment, amounts, and rules. These cover the importance of parents' attitudes toward food and mealtimes, the types of foods available in the family kitchen, proper portion sizes and amounts from each food group for different ages (their actual needs are probably less than you think), and which food "rules" are ok to bend and which are not.

Chapter 3 is full of practical food tips, such as how to improve the favorite boxed macaroni and cheese or peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and how to sneak mashed vegetables, ground flax, whole grains, tofu and other ingredients into common recipes. There is also an extensive Q&A section and an abundance of ideas and creative tactics to try.

Chapter 4 is a compilation of favorite nutritious recipes by authors of children's cookbooks.

This book is a must-have for any new parent. Whether you're tearing your hair out after mealtimes or just trying to get your child to eat one new vegetable a month, this is a highly informative read about childhood eating behaviors and how to foster at an early age a healthy attitude towards food that will stick with them for life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Do you have a picky eater? Me too, but thanks to this book, maybe not forever., July 8, 2013
When I discovered this book, I snapped it up and read it through. It is easy to read, trim with only the most pertinent information that is highly usable. This book shines by giving the reader an understanding and empathy for what our children are going through and comfort that their behavior is normal, (our children aren't trying to drive us nuts). I no longer feel guilty about my daughter's food preferences and can focus that misspent energy on tactics that are guiding her towards making healthy choices.

How This Book Works
This book is divided into four sections:

What You Really Need To Know About Picky Eaters
This section defines what a picky eater is and gives you some reassurance that picky eating is not only normal behavior for kids is part of our biological wiring. For example, kids crave energy dense foods that are easy to break down, (i.e. carbs) to power their rapidly growing brains and bodies as well as their constant motion. Also, bitter flavors can be an indicator of a toxic substance and kids' natural aversion to bitter is a evolutionary protector against ingesting toxic plants. Perhaps this could be used to our advantage, I'm thinking kale flavored crayons and Play-Doh...

This section also contains Food Facts that delineates some of the common problems in our modern diets and offers gentle solutions for rectifying those issues.

The Fundamental Four: Attitude, Environment, Amounts and Rules
Attitude reminds us to keep our eye on long term goals by not waging war on our children each mealtime. Environment reminds us that if we want our children to eat healthy, then our pantries and refrigerators need to be filled with healthy foods and they need to see us enjoying those foods too. Amounts has easy-to-read charts that show daily calorie and nutrition requirements and how to meet them through your child's meals and snacks. The Rules section covers many of the contemporary food rules and whether or not following each is a good idea. Some of them are surprising, such as "Rule: Make your child's diet nutritionally balanced at each meal." (Something I've always strived to do.) Verdict: Break it! Upon reading the logic and research as to why, I think to myself... OhHHhhh...

Tips, Tricks and Tactics: Solving Picky Eater Problems
Now that we the parents are properly educated on the topic of feeding our brood, it's time for the fun stuff! The next 70 pages are filled with fun, gentle ideas for improving your child's overall diet while saving us some grey hair. I've been battling this issue for quite some time so I was doubtful that I'd find anything new. There were perhaps a dozen ideas that had never occurred to me and the ones I had already tried, I found I gave up too soon or could have tried it in a slightly different way. One surprise was learning that a child may need to be exposed to a new food 10 to 15 times before they'll even want to taste it. My daughter was lucky if I'd let her get away without trying a new food on the first day! No wonder she's worried whenever I set down an unfamiliar meal, she's sure I'm going to be pressuring her into eating some. That anxiety and pressure from me is going to ensure she rejects it out of hand. Another ah-ha moment for me. Play it cool... and hamm up the mmmMMMmmm--soo good.

The Experts' Favorites: Recipes Even Your Picky Eater Will Love
This section provides recipes from the authors of seven different kid friendly cookbooks! I plan to try them all except the two by the author whose book I already own. I have picked up the Sneaky Chef cookbook by Missy LaPine no less than a dozen times, during trips to the bookstore, only to put it back on the shelf. Now I can try out a sampling of her recipes before I invest in another would-be doorstop. Thanks Elizabeth!

Prior to reading this book I was frustrated and unwittingly making mealtimes a time for my daughter to feel bad about the choices her biological composition is driving her to towards, by laying on pressure and guilt. I don't think pressure and guilt ever wrought positive changes in anyone, but what else could I do? Lots apparently.

After reading this book I'm easier going about her food choices. I don't make food choices a power struggle anymore, so she's not losing because she's not giving in to me. I'm more conscientious about modeling good eating habits, I'm eating like a grown-up again, instead of eating what I know they'll eat. When she sees us enjoying these foods, she wants to like them and I've noticed that she keeps trying it (yay!) knowing she's missing out on something good. I'm trying to make mealtimes more fun and playful. I make the most out of snacks nutritionally, by giving my girls choices based on what they've been missing that day. For example if they're light on fruits and veggies I say, "You can have raisins, apple slices, carrot slices or applesauce." Or if they're light on protein, "You can have a hard boiled egg or mixed nuts." These changes plus a dozen or so others have us back on the right road. It's a long road, but in the interim I'm much more relaxed, my older daughter is much happier and my two-year-old benefits from these techniques at a much earlier age. Just as my venerated pediatrician reminds me, "We have 18 years to help her become a good eater." Thanks to this book, I'm confident we'll get there in a positive, gentle way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great book from Elizabeth Pantley!, October 3, 2011
Thank You Elizabeth for writing this book full of fantastic tips to encourage healthy eating habits.
Good, creative recipes too!
We have a pretty good eater but your book brought up some tips and ideas that will work out great for our family.
This book answers alot of questions you might have for the picky-eater in your house! I definitely recommend!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a lot of substance, April 3, 2013
I read this book in less than an hour, and I while the content was well written I didn't feel I came away with any new advice that wasn't common sense. There is a well researched section on the importance of a balanced diet which for me felt completely redundant--I know that's important: it's the very reason I am looking for ways to encourage my picky-eater to eat! The recipe section has a nice selection of helathy recipes--you just have to convince your child to try them in the first place.

5.0 out of 5 stars So Helpful!, March 10, 2013
Elizabeth Pantley once again provides a super helpful resource for parents. Feeding a picky eater healthy and wholesome meals can be so difficult, and this book provides a great deal of information to help you best help your child eat healthy. Thank you so much Elizabeth. You have helped, and continue to help, countless numbers of parents and children!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful way to get children eating without fuss, October 17, 2012
What a fantastic book to add to your child rearing library!

Elizabeth Pantley really knows how to get inside a child's mind and provides great solutions for all types of picky eating, from not wanting to eat certain foods to getting a child to sit still long enough to eat.

I have a 3&1/2 year old girl who never stayed in one place long enough to eat. She was also very fussy and only ate certain foods. It was becoming such a problem that she wasn't gaining weight! Every meal time became a battle of wills and usually ended in tears! Using the various methods Elizabeth suggests in her book, she not only sits at the table with us at night, but eats a large variety of fruits, vegetables, meat and starches, so we don't have to eat the same thing every night. Her weight gain is back on track and meal times have become a pleasure!

I now have an 8month old boy and introducing food was a pleasure. He eats anything already and meal times are always fun and easy. I wish I had this book when my daughter was a baby!

I highly recommend this to every parent. Getting a child's eating patterns right at a young age is crucial in avoiding bad habits, obesity and eating disorders. As a family we have become much more health conscious and really look forward to sitting down together at night!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The No-Cry Picky Eater Solution:  Gentle Ways to Encourage Your Child to Eat—and Eat Healthy
$17.00 $10.37