Industrial-Sized Deals GG Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Shop Now HTL

on December 6, 2010
I got this jacket as a birthday gift from my parents last month. This also happened to be my first North Face product so I didn't know what to expect from it other than the fact that it's so darn popular with kids and adults alike. I tried it in the store before they bought it and I started sweating. It's that warm. LOL. I like that it's not bulky at all and can handle temperatures as low as 42 deg and can feel comfortable all the way up to the low 60s. Around the low 30s, I used a sweatshirt for added warmth. But It feels comfortable without any extra layer when you are doing something active outdoors in the cold. I recently tried using this as an extra layer to my new NF Apex Paradigm jacket when we hit temps below freezing. Because it's so light, it really didn't add too much bulk to the Paradigm jacket. For active outdoor activities in the cold weather with effective wind protection, I would really recommend this jacket. I hope it last a few years because I love the way it looks and feels. I actually bought the black/grey color combo which looks so much better than the plain black.

The only thing I wished it had was a stowaway hood in case you get caught in the rain. I forgot to mention that this jacket and the Apex Paradigm are both weatherproof. It repels water like a full-time raincoat. Awesome!
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 30, 2011
I picked up this jacket for use in San Francisco and the surrounding Bay Area (Lake Tahoe included). I use this jacket for everything. It is often cloudy/drizzly/cold in SF and this jacket deals with it all. I have not tried in heavy rain, but in drizzly conditions, the DWR treatment definitely makes small drops bead right off. It also has a nice fleece-like liner inside and keeps me really warm down to 40 degrees or so. In Tahoe, I have used this with a shirt or base layer, mid later fleece, and then this jacket. I don' get clod too easily but in temps 20's - 30's I felt great (with some gloves and a beanie of course). I have not tried it skiing yet because I snowboard and to be honest it wouldn't be quite large enough (I like baggier snowboard clothing). But I have seen people who wear softshells skiing all the time. I also use this when I go to work and want a jacket that dresses up nice. With slacks, nice shoes, and a button up it looks great. I am 6' and about 190 lbs (34 in arms) and the large fits perfect. The pockets are well designed as well. The soft shell is the new "do-everything" jacket; wind/water resistent but also maleable and comfy for wearing anywhere. I highly recommend this jacket.
on December 14, 2013
I am a licensed tour guide in Israel, whose topography produces a wide range of climatic conditions within a very small country. A couple of weeks ago I was guiding a tour from Oregon. We left our hotel on the Sea of Galilee in perfect 70 degree weather, but concluded the day on the Golan Heights in cold, windy, wintery weather…and was angry at myself that I had no jacket to protect myself from the 40s fahrenheit cold and driving rain. My bus driver lent me his fleece, but the wind went right through it. As soon as we got back to Jerusalem, I went to an outdoors/hiking supply store, where they carried this jacket in solid black or the black/grey combo. The latter was available only in large, and I'm a medium, so I asked them to order me a medium black/grey combo (way more beautiful!), which arrived within 2 days from another store location. Since its arrival, I have used this jacket over a full range of climatic conditions…from sunny days in the low 60s to cold days in the 40s with driving rain. I have found this jacket to feel ultra comfy over that full range of temps, never causing me to sweat on those 60 degree days, nor causing me to feel cold and underdressed on those colder and rainier days. No down feather winter jacket, or typical light shell could provide comfort over that full range of temperatures as this jacket does. Furthermore, it is fully windproof, as well as waterproof. I have to say that I am more than satisfied, and so glad that I purchased this jacket. My only regret is that I didn't purchase it when visiting home in the USA over the summer, where it sells for significantly less! As I write this, I am in the midst of the worse snow storm to hit Jerusalem in 50 years, with freezing tempts. This may be the only day of the year I resort to my down winter jacket, which I can wear with a short sleeve shirt under it, so warm it is…but, I have no doubt I could wear my North Face comfortably, if I simply put on a flannel long sleeve shirt in lieu of a t-shirt…and the down jacket isn't nearly as waterproof!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 3, 2013
This jacket is counterfeit. The first clue was that the size fit more like a Medium than the XL we ordered. When another XL wasn't available to send us, we just went and bought an Apex Bionic Soft Shell Jacket (same color) at the North Face store. Comparing them side by side showed major differences. The zippers, closures, and material were all different. The size was clearly off just like we thought. The jacket we received was absolutely fake and not the real thing.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 8, 2012
This is a great lightweight jacket. I am 5'11" and about 180lbs and I went with the medium size. The jacket has a great fit and stays close to the body. It is relatively warm and I feel comfortable in it at about 32F+ and if it is really cold you can put a heavier jacket over the top of it. The pockets are good sized and I can keep a pair of gloves and a hat in the bottom ones and a notebook in the napoleon pocket. I haven't been in any downpours yet put it seems to repel light precipitation very well.

The only complaint I have is that the right side collar comes up RIGHT under my chin and pokes me so I have to fold it down.
on December 31, 2013
Great Jacket. Quality is fantastic. Costs more than other brands but worth the price.
I bought XL as a gift. Caution with sizes XL and up the fit tends to be wider than expected if you have not purchased in these sizes before.
on January 2, 2014
I bought this Northface Appex jacket for my son and he loves it! great quality we expect from Northface. It fits perfect true to size and is very warm in our single digit winter months. He especially likes the pockets and adjustable wrist straps.
on January 15, 2013
I bought this jacket for my son for a Christmas present. It was a hit! He loves it and says it is much warmer than other bulkier jackets he has. Very lightweight and sporty looking.
on February 21, 2013
I got a great deal on this jacket (about 1/3 off on past-season clearance) but I'm not really satisfied with it. It looks nice and appears well-made, but it isn't very warm and it isn't roomy enough to wear another layer underneath. I'm 5'10" and with a 43" chest and bought size Large. The Apex tends to bind in the armpit area and fits so snug that it almost feels like I'm wearing a wetsuit. I thought about buying XL but that seemed too large, especially in the sleeve length. I haven't really been completely satisfied with the fit of any North Face product that I've bought and may not buy this brand again.

UPDATE: After wearing this jacket for awhile I have to admit that it's become one of my favorites, especially now that the weather is warmer. A very nice jacket for early spring and fall, when the temperatures are in the 60's. I took it on a Caribbean cruise and it was perfect for chilly nights. So I'm upgrading my rating from 3 to 4 stars.

UPDATE #2: I bought another Apex Bionic in a different color and it fits even tighter than the first one. Clearly there is some variation in sizing so make sure you can return it if it turns out not to fit.
on November 5, 2012
This is a good jacket, don't get it wrong. But in my opinion it's not perfect. I love the look, I like the fit, and it does help you stay comfortable within a reasonable temperature range. Some things I don't like are the wrists cuffs.. They have this velcro band that you can cinch to whatever size you want. My problem is velcro will fail after a while and over time if you constantly undo and redo, velcro loops will break. I much rather have an elastic band in the cuff like my Columbia jacket. When I wear my Columbia jacket inside (or washing my car), all I have to do is pull up my sleaves to wash my hands. With the North Face, I need to undo the velcro band, roll up, and then refasten to the perfect spot I had before. Because I don't want premature failure of the velcro, I usually just take the jacket off. Pain in the as*. Also, it would be nice if it had a zip-in hood that's rain proof along with the jacket. If caught in the rain it would be very convenient to just pull out the hood since the jacket is rain proof. Instead you need to plan ahead and bring an umbrella or end up getting your head soaked. But hey, at least your body is dry! I'm nitpicking but for $150 for a light jacket, I don't think thats unreasonable. Not a bad jacket, just not perfect.

Edit- 12/11/2012
I went to 2 different North Face stores trying to find a jacket that had the cuffs I wanted. Turns out nearly all their jackets have the velcro system except for the fleece jackets. I then went to a tailor and had him put in an elastic band in the cuff and remove the velcro. He did an amazing job, looks like it came from the factory like this! Love it and couldn't be happier.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse