Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: North Face Men's Venture Jacket
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Eli Paperboy Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on October 23, 2014
Hey all, I'm a fan of North Face products, have used them since about 2003, which is when I bought the Venture (and the Chilkat men's boots, which I JUST replaced last year with the same boot/different name). This jacket IS waterproof and breathable. There are many variations of these qualities in different jackets, if you research such things, you shall see. Everyone has their opinion, regardless of the technical qualities of a fabric or jacket. I like this one because the hood fits me the best of any rain jacket I have bought or tried on in the stores. I have a small head, and these jackets are made to cover a climbing helmet (all of 'em are). I like to wear a baseball cap, stocking cap or no hat at all. Most hoods have three-point cinches (either side of chin, and in the back) but that doesn't mean all the hoods will fit the same. So my recommendation is that if you have a smaller head size, like mine which is about 6 7/8 hat size, this hood is much better than many. The jacket beads water, at first. As you wear it, or any rain shell, and it gets dirty from the environment and your sweat, etc. water will start to "soak in". This does NOT mean that water will soak through the coat. It won't. If you feel damp, it's because of your own sweat. The jacket is breathable but you still get a bit muggy in there depending on the outside temp and what you are doing, especially if wearing it bare-armed. It's kind of sticky, due to the inside waterproof coating. This occurs with almost all jackets in this price range and fabric type (not three layer fabric, like Event or Gore Tex). This jacket has zippers under the armpits which are quite long, so you can vent yourself. It's also good to unzip partially or all the way each pocket, which provides more air flow to you. This jacket could be a bit longer, for my taste, but none of them are. There are two zippered hand pockets, and a a large inside mesh pocket for something like a map, water bottle, gloves. I live in Seattle, where it rains 9 months out of the year, and I endorse this jacket! PS it's important to wash your jacket often if you use it a lot, and even if it's just sitting in a closet gathering dust. Dirt, sweat, oils all make the waterproofing not work. Wash on cold, gentle cycle, gentle detergent. Then treat while wet with something like Grangers or Nik Wax waterproofing sprays (follow the directions). Put in dryer for about 15 minutes to set the spray and your jacket will once again bead water.
on October 2, 2012
Repels water awesomely! Its Just an outer shell but thats what I wanted . great for rainy spring summer and fall days. This Jacket keeps my Body dry as a bone
on January 17, 2014
This is a fantastic performing jacket, very resilient, great fit, very dry and comfortable. But remember- It's only a shell. You will need another layer. I am a huge hater of anything that says waterproof+breathable... You logically cant have the best of both. But this is about the best you're going to do for its price range. Havent had a single problem and have worked it hard. A Columbia failed me badly so I stepped up to this, and it was completely worth it. Dry=happy. Also very packable. I'm using it in winter so far, but expect it to be effective in spring, maybe even early summer depending on what you're using it for. I'd recommend it not only for everyday use, but for medium level expeditioning as well. It has performed very well in both arenas for me. If you want a jacket you can wear on rainy days, as well as one that holds up to wear and tear, for under $200, (any higher, go Arcteryx), this is THE jacket to buy.
on September 7, 2015
The whole point of spending bucks on an item like this is to allow vapor to escape while preventing rainwater from entering directly.

It does do a good job of keeping direct rainwater out. But so would a garbage bag.

This jacket just doesn't breathe as it should. I've experienced the inner surface of the breathable surface being dripping wet under too many conditions. I'm not talking about racing for a personal record for 5K in the rain at 2 degrees Celsius. The insides of the sleeves get dripping wet all the time. Hiking under modest conditions and with no rainfall at all. The modern breathable fabrics should be doing better than this.
on November 26, 2013
I purchased this jacket to run in the weather ( 35 degrees pouring rain). Conditions miserable. I had complications with the hood blinding me. When I went to return product I couldn't find one with out hood. Once I got home I realized there was a draw string on the neck to adjust the hood. It worked GREAT. No one informed me of the optional draw string to make this adjustment. I am glad I stayed with this jacket. You will not be disappointed .Great for those conditions when you have to get out and run. All the running gear I purchased this was the best $100 spent. I wish I would have gotten a Hi Viz color instead of Blue. But no regrets
on November 5, 2014
My second Venture jacket from TNF. Wore the other one out and knew I wanted this lightweight, comfortable and waterproof jacket. Great for layering over sweatshirts and sweaters in the winter months when my big heavy down coat is too much.
on August 10, 2015
It works in drizzle, but when you really need it the coat soaks through in a steady downpour within half an hour. The vents just leave you cold and wet and you still sweat abnormally in the arms and back and neck and belly. If you just want to show all your friends that you are trendy and into the outdoors, this is a great way to waste money doing it. If you live in the city in a dry climate and the only rain you have to be out in is going from your car to the office, then once again this is a great way to overspend doing it. The fabric tears when contacting bushes and is clearly not designed with the wearer spending more than an hour outside in mind. Do not depend on this if your lifestyle or job constantly pits you against the elements. You will be a sad camper, and North Face will do nothing to ease any grievance. They already got your money once, and don't care what happens to you or the product after you leave the store.
on December 3, 2015
The inside will delaminate over time and TNF will say it's at the end of it's lifetime or "wear-n-tear". SO Deal with it! Or write a letter and see if they'll do a 1 time replacement. Peace people stay calm and live.
review image
on May 28, 2016
The fit is great but be forewarned that North Face rain jackets do run large; be sure to use the "sizing tool" on their website to get a perfect fit like I did. It is definitely water-proof, but breathable at the same time just like my last North Face rain jacket that I'm now just replacing after seven (7) years of heavy use.
on March 17, 2016
Great lite rain jacket bought this last minute for a trip to go hunting where id be boating in and it rained 2" in three hours this bad boy kept me dry to the core and while I was hiking the pit zips kept me cool I would recommend this jacket to anyone looking to stay dry in heavy rains.