5.0 out of 5 stars A gift every person deserves...
Published on May 29, 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as his others....
I was expecting more based on the reviews I read. After reading it for the first time, my 7 year old and I both said, "Huh. That was weird." It's a nice book, just not quite what I expected.
Published 18 months ago by ADR

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A gift every person deserves..., May 29, 1999
This review is from: The North Star (Hardcover)
I'm an "ability focused" disability awareness educator and I've adopted The North Star and its messages into my work with students for the past several years. With its messages of self-acceptance and acceptance of diversity, The North Star has been a natural companion for my own goals of helping students develop a greater appreciation of individual differences and abilities. This is a gift we all deserve, no matter what our age... no matter what obstacles we face in life.
Besides the success I've had with The North Star in the classroom, it also has great meaning to me on a personal level. As someone living with a lifelong respiratory disability, reading The North Star for the first time felt like someone was smiling at me, and nodding... confirming and celebrating the person I am and the unique life I've led, and it made me believe it is the kind of life I want to continue leading.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book to awaken you to your dreams, January 21, 1998
This review is from: The North Star (Hardcover)
This book could very well awaken you, help you find your inner self and redirect you toward your guiding star - your life's work and dream. This book can be the start of a new outlook in life. Read this book and refocus...you may find it touches you like no other book has. It has done this for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart Jane has an A-ha experience, August 23, 1999
William Cleary "renegade Jesuit" (Burlington, Vermont United States) - See all my reviews
Review of The North Star by Peter Reynolds
A True Story
My smart friend Jane read The North Star and said: "It's a dumb book." I looked at her quizzically. I began to notice how straight she sat, how straight she dressed. She had no children. "It's about something very rare," I said. "Something wonderful but all too rare." Now Jane looked at me quizzically. "Unconventional children," I said. Her quizzicality grew. "And that's all of them," I added. Jane's eyes lit up, her jaw dropped a little. She said, "Oh." I started to explain but she is smart and didn't need me to tell -- about children who get those double-messages that appear on almost every page of The North Star, the wooden sign telling you to turn right, then below it a maddening little arrow pointing left. "Girl children get a ton of double-messages. Children in poverty get them, children in privilege. The messages about sex leave no room for homosexuality, for domestic violence, for exploitation. No wonder children grow up feeling lost. Who wouldn't love to read this book to kids everywhere?" "You're so right," said smart Jane. "Why didn't I see it?" "Maybe you've become conventional, Jane. Did you ever find your own North Star?" The quizzicality returned. "In the book the lost boy stops following the conventional signs when he discovers his North Star - surrounded by his very own constellation. That's just his true calling in life, surrounded by all his strengths and talents. It leads him back home: to himself, to an original self." "How wonderful," said smart Jane, tears standing in her eyes. #
William Cleary August 23, l999

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring For People of All Ages Who Go Off the Beaten Path, March 31, 2008
This review is from: The North Star (Hardcover)
Peter Reynolds is a children's book author and illustrator who also owns a bookshop, and also is an "educational media developer and publisher". He formerly worked with special needs children at camp and worked in the classroom with children as well.

This lovely book is designed picture book style, with one or two illustrations on each two-page spread. The illustrations are in pen and watercolor paint. The story is told largely through the illustrations. The book could be read to young children but it is also a book with a message for people of all ages. The message is one that preteens and teens need to hear also, but I'm not sure if they would be willing to read through a book that is as cute as this, and looks and reads like a picture book.

The story is a fable with a pretty direct message. The message is that the world has a one right way path laid out for people, but that not all people thrive on this path and some will find great rewards by intentionally leaving that routine path to follow their own intuition, and watching for other, more subtle sign points along the way. By deliberately ignoring some direct orders, the little boy in the story makes some unique discoveries that he would not have experienced if he just stayed on the normal path. Also of benefit is changing course along the way, being flexible and open to change as the process of the journey unfolds. This book is not about pre-planning, setting routines and doing what others want you to do. It is about going with the flow, putting aside analysis and worry and just continuing forward along a not-always-predetermined path.

Not only is this message good for children to hear, but it is good for adults to remind themselves about too. In fact some young children may have the bulk of this message `go over their heads'. Some parents may enjoy reading this book to their special needs children. Wise adults will recognize the importance of this message and may immediately think of a few people who would benefit from hearing the message (even other adults). For that reason this book would make a good gift book.

The illustrations are cute and whimsical. If you love watercolor paint and hand drawn illustrations you may enjoy these very much and for that reason alone, you may desire to own this book.

Teachers will also appreciate the message in this book, especially those touched by students who don't follow the cookie cutter norms, or special education teachers.

The biography of the author/illustrator says that Reynolds has his "passion to help children began at age twelve when he volunteered at a special needs camp. There he saw the profound power in truly understanding the unique gifts and abilities of every child." Also noted in his biography is that he creates fables that will "reach ALL children". It goes on to say "Peter's personal mission is to help others on their journeys of self-discovery."

I really enjoyed this book and hope to own my own copy someday. It is a keeper.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you're the parent of a quirky kid, this book is a warm hug, March 4, 2009
Sonja (East Coast, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The North Star (Hardcover)
My daughter is three and a half, and as she gets older, her quirky nature reveals itself more and more. I bought this book based on the reviews that it supported alternative ways of being, and I was not disappointed. Since this version didn't have a "closer look" option, I wasn't sure what I was getting but bought it anyway. Knowing that other Peter Reynolds books are written for little kids, I thought this might be something I could read to my daughter. The illustrations are child-friendly and there's only a sentence or two per page, so I took a stab at reading it to her. But at 120 pages, it's a bit long for her. She made it about half way through before I could tell that her attention was shifting. Besides, it's an allegory, and at 3.5 years old, she's still pretty concrete in her interpretations of texts. But even though she's probably too young for it still, I love it, and I look forward to reading it again and again. One of these days, I hope my daughter will appreciate it, too.

Thank you, Mr. Reynolds, for such a wonderful, beautiful, and thoughtful little book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Wonderful, February 27, 2008
This review is from: The North Star (Hardcover)
Peter H. Reynolds has done it again! This is such an amazing story for children and adults of all ages. He is trying to hard to help children hold on to their creativity and imagination!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lost on Your Journey, August 30, 2003
This review is from: The North Star (Hardcover)
If you are lost on your journey, any part of of your journey, sit down, have a cup of tea, and read The North Star. Take some time to imagine how you and the 'boy' are alike as your 'paths' unfold before you.
It is a book that is meant to be read over and over again. The North Star is a wonderful reminder of how you can control your destiny and life's journey.
Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Read for Kids of All Ages, February 8, 2009
This review is from: The North Star (Hardcover)
This book is awesome. Simple words kids can understand with great illustrations. Important life message for kids and adults as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars The North Star is for children, teachers, and parents., November 20, 1997
This review is from: The North Star (Hardcover)
The North Star is a journey in itself, from the joys ofchildhood, to the questions and doubts of growing up, to the discoveryand belief in oneself. It is a book for children to lose themselves in... its illustrations will capture their hearts and carry them away. It is a book for children to find themselves in... to be read over and over again. Each time its message becoming a little clearer. The North Star is an affirmation... "You are lovable and capable." Be brave enough to dare to dream, and strong enough to follow your own path.

5.0 out of 5 stars A star to guide the road less traveled, December 11, 1997
This review is from: The North Star (Hardcover)
Parents and teachers often rely on tools to help illustrate a lesson.
The North Star is one that's long overdue, with its compelling simplicity and gentle intensity.
The book's brilliant artistry is a perfect match to its beautiful message:
That our only true road to happiness and success lies in blazing our own trail.
The book is one of a rare breed that conveys its message in a way that can be internalized by anyone, anywhere, of any age.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The North Star
The North Star by Peter Reynolds (Hardcover - Dec. 1997)
Used & New from: $0.01