Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon April 23, 2009
If you pick up this book titled THE NOTICER, by Andy Andrews, don't make the mistake I made. Don't wait until bedtime to start reading it. When I picked it up last night, I had every intention of simply reading the introduction and then turning out the light and calling it a day. Having read everything Andy Andrews has written, I knew it would be a good and just wanted to see what it was going to be about. Well, there is no introduction, so I thought I'd just read the first few pages to get a feel for it. I finished reading it around 1:30 this morning. Yes, it's that good.

Okay, it gets even better. Just past midnight, I even got up and ate a plum for a quick midnight snack and told myself, "Okay, you've got a busy day tomorrow. Go to sleep." I turned out the light and it took all of about 3 minutes before I turned it back on and opened the book again. I knew trying to fall asleep was a fruitless endeavor. I simply had to finish the book.

Andy Andrews is one of the finest writers (and public speakers) of our time. If you are not familiar with his work, this book would be a great place to start. For me, it may not have been quite as good as The Traveler's Gift, but that book has had such a profound effect on my life, I may be a little biased. I hope in time, this book will have an equally profound effect and in the few hours since I read it, I have thought about it's messages all day. Those messages are still sinking in and I will certainly read the book again this weekend before I decide who I want to share it with first.

I don't want to spoil the story for anyone, so I will only say the story revolves around a very influential old sage who touches so many lives by simply giving the people he encounters a new persective. When it all boils down to the basics, that's how simple it is in creating the determining factors of our lives. Whether we choose to be happy or miserable all revolves around our perspective.

One of the beauties of this book is that Andrew's deftly applies the "new perspective" principal to so many differing situations. You are sure to find more than a few examples of things that will relate to your own life. There's definately a message here for everyone.

Andy concludes this magnificent story with a Reader's Guide. A few pages of thought provoking questions that will help put it all together for you and would make for an extraordinary group discussion.

For me, personally, the story really helps reinforce my own personal mission - to inspire and empower people professionally, personally and spiritually to elevate their lives to a higher level. There's a little bit of "Jones" in all of us. Read the book and you'll understand exactely what I mean. I give this the highest recommendation possible.
55 comments| 238 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 27, 2009
His name was Jones. Not Mr. Jones, just Jones. If you had the opportunity to meet Jones, you would never forget him. He had a way of making a significant impact on your life. He always seemed to come around when you were at your lowest. Life was difficult and you were not sure how to keep going. But then you met Jones. He called himself a "noticer", because he noticed things that others overlooked. He noticed "things about situations and people that produce perspective. That's what most folks lack--perspective--a broader view".

Perspective--it's about how you look at things--how you look at life. That is what I learned from reading this book. No matter how bad things look, it was all about HOW I looked at things. "The Noticer" is an amazing story of how one man changed a community. He helped many people look at their lives differently. Jones helped Andy who was 23, homeless, and parentless. He helped Andy find perspective and it changed his life. Jones helped a couple find perspective which helped them save their marriage. He helped an older widow, who felt her life had been lived and was finished, find perspective that her life was just starting and that even she could make a huge impact in people's lives. Jones helped so many people. He touched many lives.

"The Noticer" by Andy Andrews is one of the best books I have ever read. The book could not have come at a better time for me to read, as I gained perspective. Amazing, inspirational, encouraging are just a few of the many words that could be used to describe this book. This is a book that I will read again and again. This is a book that EVERYONE should have and read.
on August 22, 2009
Do you find yourself in transition in life? I happen to be going from a rewarding career of mothering with children in the home to a happily married teacher with independent and successful children. What is next? Only God knows for sure but this book by Andy Andrews brings an awareness of "the best is yet to come". I pray that my eyes will continue to be open to the opportunities that will come now that my life is in transition.The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective.
on June 26, 2009
I have read Many books and I mean Many. Out of these there has only been one I have chosen to keep and re-read until I recently listened to "The Noticer". If I could afford it, I would purchase this audio book and give it out to others!! I also feel there is much more expression within the words of this audio book with the author reading it.
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS BOOK AND GIVE IT A RATING BEYOND THE FIVE STARS.
Phyllis Mangrum
on February 15, 2015
This book maybe changed my life a bit. I am retired and not too healthy. I have thought that maybe I should just kick back and not commit to very much because I often have to cancel because of health issues or sometimes I follow through but I am so fatigued. I read the chapter about the older woman who felt her life's work was mostly done, and the Noticer pointed out that her most important work may still be in front of her. That now is my mindset. Just get out of my way (!)
on February 18, 2010
I'm a 63-year-old baby-boomer who has been struggling with getting into the next chapter of my life.

My kids are grown and have moved away. I've been retired for a few years and I feel like I'm spinning my wheels in my effort to gain traction about what to do next in my life and it has been bugging me.

Then I was presented with the opportunity to read "The Noticer" by Andy Andrews and published by Thomas Nelson. It's a easy-to-read and a short book that packs a useful look at life and what the future holds for just about everybody regardless of their age or situation.

The story revolves around the conversations of an old man named Jones with a variety of different people in a small Gulf coast town who were experiencing life challenges which made them doubt their future.

Jones ran into a young homeless man trying to deal with the loss of his parents and any semblance of normalcy in his life. There was a young businessman married and with a child on the way who was so driven that he ignored what was important and was standing on the edge of a cliff. There was a couple who loved each other but who lost the ability to communicate that to each other and were on the edge of divorce.

The person who struck a chord with me was a senior citizen in her seventies who felt she had no more to contribute to life and death was the only thing in the future. I knew that that could be me in another decade if not sooner.

It was the old man Jones who came along and took an interest in each individual and asked questions that helped them see their situation from a different perspective. It's all a matter of how you view obstacles and challenges. I get it.

For the past several days, I've been looking for a Jones in my life. I'm married to one. But, I think I've come to the conclusion that it's time for me to assume that role in the lives of others. I'm old enojugh and I've learned some things and I continue to learn. I want to be a "Noticer."

I recommend the book for anybody looking for a way to find answers to the whole myriad of life situations.

I will read it again, either on my Kindle or in my paper verson.

The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective.
on May 16, 2014
I've read about half this book and I'm disappointed in so many ways. I was under the impression that this was a story about how a chance encounter with a strange man changed Andy Andrew's life. So far, one chapter has been devoted to that and I found that story a little lackluster. The rest has been anecdotal stories about the strange man's encounters with other people. The book is described as "Based on a remarkable true story, The Noticer beautifully blends fiction, allegory, and inspiration."

What part of this story is true and how much is fiction and how much is allegory? I'm going to guess this story is 99.99% fiction.

I've read several stories where this strange man pulls someone aside, offers a few words of wisdom, and someone's life is magically and completely transformed by those words of wisdom. Yet there have been no words that were really profound. All Andy has done has repackaged common sense and put it in a new form.

All in all, not impressed and, I'm sorry I purchased this and won't be purchasing anything further.
on June 26, 2013
Andy Andrews has without a doubt become one of my very favorite authors. Every book he's written, this on included, is always filled with so much enlightenment and seems to speak right to the reader. This one is one of my favorite Andrews books. Quick read, and so SO worth it. Great for book clubs.
on February 10, 2013
This book came to my notice by a small poster for the book on the counter top at Dizzy Bean's Coffeeshop in Gulf Shores, Alabama, a place I frequent when we are in Orange Beach for our summer week. I asked the server if she had read it, and she said it was great. When I got home, I ordered a copy and was surprised to find a 2009 publication date on it. Somehow the word on this book had reached all the way down to the gulf coast beach area, I thought, but then I began to read the book and discovered it was set in Gulf Shores and Orange Beach, even naming some of the places I had seen in the area. Amazingly, the author describes the road I took from our beach cabin to Dizzy Bean's: "Traffic was light on the road. It was used mostly by locals as a shortcut to reach Highway 59. Tourists rarely ventured this way." (Page 45)

But was the book good? Luckily my Google Library showed me that there is a Limited Preview, and I read the first chapter on-line. This book made me feel the way I did when I first read Richard Bach's "Illusions -- The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah" so I quickly ordered a copy of the book, read it and then as with Bach's classic, I ordered copies to give away, this time to our grown children. If you haven't heard about this book from a friend yet, consider this your notice. You will want to become a Noticer yourself before you finish reading this book.
. . . . Jones came up on folks unexpectedly, folks who were in need and Jones managed to find that need and fill it. If you have no needs in your life today, perhaps it's because your perspective on your life is limited, up until now. What would Jones have to ask you or tell you if he came up to you blocking your car in your driveway as you were backing up to go meet your husband at a restaurant to ask him for a divorce, as he did to Jan? Or if you were the very old widow, Willow Gray, who was planning to commit suicide because she felt her life was over? Or a man of twenty-three like Andy, who was living in a hole in sand under a pier and hadn't a clue as to what happened or how to get out of his predicament?

There are many stories in this imminently readable book which you will enjoy, but first you must open the book. Then you must open yourself. Look up. Get a new perspective. The best of your life looms ahead of you if you will begin noticing.

The remainder of my review can be found in DIGESTWORLD ISSUE#099 by Bobby Matherne.
on November 11, 2015
I bought this book as a gift for my husband - he just barely finished reading it for a class he's in and loved it. He said it's very insightful and full of great life lessons. I'm excited to wrap this up and give it to him.