1,364 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't wait until bedtime to start reading.
Published on April 23, 2009 by Monty Rainey

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing and bordering on plagarism
Published on January 24, 2011 by chrisb

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't wait until bedtime to start reading., April 23, 2009
Monty Rainey (New Braunfels, TX) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
If you pick up this book titled THE NOTICER, by Andy Andrews, don't make the mistake I made. Don't wait until bedtime to start reading it. When I picked it up last night, I had every intention of simply reading the introduction and then turning out the light and calling it a day. Having read everything Andy Andrews has written, I knew it would be a good and just wanted to see what it was going to be about. Well, there is no introduction, so I thought I'd just read the first few pages to get a feel for it. I finished reading it around 1:30 this morning. Yes, it's that good.

Okay, it gets even better. Just past midnight, I even got up and ate a plum for a quick midnight snack and told myself, "Okay, you've got a busy day tomorrow. Go to sleep." I turned out the light and it took all of about 3 minutes before I turned it back on and opened the book again. I knew trying to fall asleep was a fruitless endeavor. I simply had to finish the book.

Andy Andrews is one of the finest writers (and public speakers) of our time. If you are not familiar with his work, this book would be a great place to start. For me, it may not have been quite as good as The Traveler's Gift, but that book has had such a profound effect on my life, I may be a little biased. I hope in time, this book will have an equally profound effect and in the few hours since I read it, I have thought about it's messages all day. Those messages are still sinking in and I will certainly read the book again this weekend before I decide who I want to share it with first.

I don't want to spoil the story for anyone, so I will only say the story revolves around a very influential old sage who touches so many lives by simply giving the people he encounters a new persective. When it all boils down to the basics, that's how simple it is in creating the determining factors of our lives. Whether we choose to be happy or miserable all revolves around our perspective.

One of the beauties of this book is that Andrew's deftly applies the "new perspective" principal to so many differing situations. You are sure to find more than a few examples of things that will relate to your own life. There's definately a message here for everyone.

Andy concludes this magnificent story with a Reader's Guide. A few pages of thought provoking questions that will help put it all together for you and would make for an extraordinary group discussion.

For me, personally, the story really helps reinforce my own personal mission - to inspire and empower people professionally, personally and spiritually to elevate their lives to a higher level. There's a little bit of "Jones" in all of us. Read the book and you'll understand exactely what I mean. I give this the highest recommendation possible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, a must read!, April 27, 2009
Klauer54 (Louisiana, United States) - See all my reviews
His name was Jones. Not Mr. Jones, just Jones. If you had the opportunity to meet Jones, you would never forget him. He had a way of making a significant impact on your life. He always seemed to come around when you were at your lowest. Life was difficult and you were not sure how to keep going. But then you met Jones. He called himself a "noticer", because he noticed things that others overlooked. He noticed "things about situations and people that produce perspective. That's what most folks lack--perspective--a broader view".

Perspective--it's about how you look at things--how you look at life. That is what I learned from reading this book. No matter how bad things look, it was all about HOW I looked at things. "The Noticer" is an amazing story of how one man changed a community. He helped many people look at their lives differently. Jones helped Andy who was 23, homeless, and parentless. He helped Andy find perspective and it changed his life. Jones helped a couple find perspective which helped them save their marriage. He helped an older widow, who felt her life had been lived and was finished, find perspective that her life was just starting and that even she could make a huge impact in people's lives. Jones helped so many people. He touched many lives.

"The Noticer" by Andy Andrews is one of the best books I have ever read. The book could not have come at a better time for me to read, as I gained perspective. Amazing, inspirational, encouraging are just a few of the many words that could be used to describe this book. This is a book that I will read again and again. This is a book that EVERYONE should have and read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book Review, August 22, 2009
Do you find yourself in transition in life? I happen to be going from a rewarding career of mothering with children in the home to a happily married teacher with independent and successful children. What is next? Only God knows for sure but this book by Andy Andrews brings an awareness of "the best is yet to come". I pray that my eyes will continue to be open to the opportunities that will come now that my life is in transition.The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective.

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST BOOK EVER SINCE "EMBRACED BY THE LIGHT"!!, June 26, 2009
I have read Many books and I mean Many. Out of these there has only been one I have chosen to keep and re-read until I recently listened to "The Noticer". If I could afford it, I would purchase this audio book and give it out to others!! I also feel there is much more expression within the words of this audio book with the author reading it.
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS BOOK AND GIVE IT A RATING BEYOND THE FIVE STARS.
Phyllis Mangrum

5.0 out of 5 stars Never underestimate the power of a little book!, January 30, 2011
Andy Andrews has always been one of my favorite storytellers. The Noticer is a book that focuses on reminding the reader that one of life's most important traits is the ability to "notice" the gifts that we have in our lives. Perspective...a broader view. As I kick off 2011 this book has been a great inspiration for me. Never underestimate the power of a little book to inspire big ideas. I highly recommend you also read it again.

Stefan Swanepoel
Author: Surviving Your Serengeti: 7 Skills to Master Business & Life

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing and bordering on plagarism, January 24, 2011
This review is from: The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective (Paperback)
What a disappointing book. I've read a couple of so-called allegories written by motivational/self-help gurus, and all of them do the same thing-- present their list of things to do that will change your life in the guise of a story, with a wise and mysterious character doling out their ideas as precious words of wisdom. What I find most disturbing, however, is that the author has borrowed heavily from other sources. The marriage advice the Noticer gives sounds suspiciously like "The 5 Languages of Love." The story about keeping one's fork has floated around the internet for years, and comes from the Chicken Soup for the Soul series, if I'm not mistaken. The story about Norman Borloff, who won a Nobel prize for his development of a new variety of wheat, is-- I swear-- right out of a script from "The West Wing." The only thing positive I can say about this book is that it's a quick read.

1.0 out of 5 stars Trite Illustrations Novelized, July 30, 2011
I've been a pastor for many years, and you can bet I've heard every trite sermon illustration, every "wisdom nugget," and every cheap counseling shortcut in the book. Now I actually have read the book! Andy Andrews has managed to shoehorn some of my favorites(?) ("Keep Your Fork" and the "Worry Percentages" for example) into a quaint little story about a mysterious figure who helps a number of people through issues and problems. Oh joy.

This is so contrived and ridiculous I actually laughed at loud. Life and its problems are infinitely more complex than this, and all Andrews offers are "band-aid" platitudes I've heard countless times. Marriage crumbling? Learn the "4 Love Languages" and POOF! Problems disappear. Feeling like you've passed the most productive years of your life? Listen to this list of late-bloomers like Winston Churchill and Grandma Moses and VOILA! Hope is restored.

I've learned through the years of preaching sermons that illustrations are just that: ways to highlight and illustrate a point. But the thing is, you've got to make a point first. Andrews skips that and treats the illustration as if it were the point, and in doing so bypasses true wisdom and life-change altogether. Along the way he doesn't just tug at the heartstrings, he yanks at them with all his might as if it was his own private game of tug-of-war with your emotions. And it's clear he plays to win, but unfortunately he doesn't play fair. He cheats, and in doing so misses a great opportunity to expound the value of observation, perspective, and "noticing." Too bad.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great listening, June 21, 2009
Marci Hobbs (Lavonia, GA USA) - See all my reviews
I really liked this CD. I was going to order the book and then decided to order the CD instead. I'm so glad I did. It was so interesting that I did not want to get out of the car. The author/reader was so convincing you felt he was telling you his story while sitting across a table or in your living room. I have ordered another copy to share and have already lent out my CD as well. I tagged this "hope" because the whole story gives hope - seeing things from a different perspective than what you've been focusing on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Noticeable Changes, April 27, 2009
Andy Andrew's "The Noticer" is one, absolutely incredible book.

If you were to look at the page count, the book is a quick read. But, the content encased by both covers offers a lifetime of hope, reassurance and inspiration.

The book's key figure goes by the name, "Jones". He is an elderly, grandfatherly man who seems to appear in peoples' lives when they are at their bleakest and darkest. The words of wisdom from the book constantly reverberate through my memory as I recall the various times throughout the reading of the book that I felt the sting of self-reflection and the warmth of hopeful reconciliation. Jones is the "Noticer" who drops in and out of people's lives and offers wisdom that penetrates hearts and inspires change. Jones' gift is the power of perspective. When trouble hits our lives, it is easy to be entangled too deeply into the weeds of life's worries and struggles. Jones steps into the lives of the people in the book and helps them to step back and view the options everyone can choose from. He patiently teaches and graciously offers the gift of perspective to anyone willing to simply listen.

There were several times throughout my reading of the book that I groaned inwardly as introspection led to revelation about my character and inspiration on where I can go from here. This isn't you're typical "feel good" book. While the messages found throughout the story come in easily managed doses they stick to you heart, soul and mind. I tried to leave this book immaculately unmarked and unscathed, thinking that this would make a great gift that I could pass on to another reader. But, I couldn't stop myself from bending corners of countless pages and highlighting favorite passages, marking up parts of the book that called me to a deeper self-reflection and a greater motivation to change. I may end up just buying copies for others to mark up and dig into. No other book since the Bible has inspired me to address my personal weaknesses and face my personal challenges and move forward to personal changes.

There is the added bonus of "A Reader's Guide" found at the back to take it even deeper. This has been one of the most rewarding and thought-provoking reads I have ever experienced. Andy Andrews is a gifted storyteller who can move our hearts and change our minds for the betterment and advancement of ourselves.

There was a song years ago from the soundtrack of the animated movie, "The Prince of Egypt" that beautifully captures the spirit of this simple and powerful book on the strength perspective can bring to our lives. The song's title: "Through Heaven's Eyes".

4.0 out of 5 stars "The Noticer" by Andy Andrews came at just the right time in my life, February 18, 2010
I'm a 63-year-old baby-boomer who has been struggling with getting into the next chapter of my life.

My kids are grown and have moved away. I've been retired for a few years and I feel like I'm spinning my wheels in my effort to gain traction about what to do next in my life and it has been bugging me.

Then I was presented with the opportunity to read "The Noticer" by Andy Andrews and published by Thomas Nelson. It's a easy-to-read and a short book that packs a useful look at life and what the future holds for just about everybody regardless of their age or situation.

The story revolves around the conversations of an old man named Jones with a variety of different people in a small Gulf coast town who were experiencing life challenges which made them doubt their future.

Jones ran into a young homeless man trying to deal with the loss of his parents and any semblance of normalcy in his life. There was a young businessman married and with a child on the way who was so driven that he ignored what was important and was standing on the edge of a cliff. There was a couple who loved each other but who lost the ability to communicate that to each other and were on the edge of divorce.

The person who struck a chord with me was a senior citizen in her seventies who felt she had no more to contribute to life and death was the only thing in the future. I knew that that could be me in another decade if not sooner.

It was the old man Jones who came along and took an interest in each individual and asked questions that helped them see their situation from a different perspective. It's all a matter of how you view obstacles and challenges. I get it.

For the past several days, I've been looking for a Jones in my life. I'm married to one. But, I think I've come to the conclusion that it's time for me to assume that role in the lives of others. I'm old enojugh and I've learned some things and I continue to learn. I want to be a "Noticer."

I recommend the book for anybody looking for a way to find answers to the whole myriad of life situations.

I will read it again, either on my Kindle or in my paper verson.

The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective.

The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective
The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective by Andy Andrews (Paperback - April 12, 2011)
$15.99 $10.14