4.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected!
Was surprised when I saw this only had 14 reviews and not that great of ones, so I felt the need to give my two cents. Why? Because I never get to go see regular adult movies at the movie theater. I always see kids releases with my kid. I was not sure about this one but I was pleasantly surprised when it was over that I liked it as much as I did.

There is a lot...
Published 6 months ago by Kissiz4Tati

3.0 out of 5 stars Movie OK, but WATCH THOSE EXTRAS!
Published 1 day ago by Nat

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected!, March 12, 2014
This review is from: The Nut Job (DVD)

There is a lot of characters, the focus is not just on the one squirrel. The story sounds simple but gets complicated. It is very colorful and there are laughable moments. The pug is an obvious favorite, Precious is her name. Very cute and fun with no upsetting death and a nice ending. I would recommend this for sure to at least watch by renting. I personally will be buying this one when it comes out.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nut Job, April 7, 2014
This review is from: The Nut Job (DVD)
Nut Job is an adorable story about a squirrel named Surly who is trying to stock up on nuts for the winter. A little girl squirrel named Andie tries to get him to share his stash because there is a shortage, but through a series of unfortunate events, the animals loose everything they've collected and Surly is banished by the head raccoon. In the city, he discovers that stores have stocked up on his favorite food and he plans a heist to set himself up for the winter. Of course when Andie finds out she wants to tag along. But a group of sinister humans have a bigger heist in the works and it's up to the forest animals to save the whole town. They also have to overcome the head raccoon who turns out to be the real culprit behind the lost food supply.

The Nut Job is a cute movie with colorful characters and a lot of funny one-liners. I have four kids ranging in age from two to thirteen, and they all enjoyed this film. The squirrels were great but our favorite character was the Precious the Pug. There are no strong moral lessons but it's still a fun movie and very entertaining.

5.0 out of 5 stars my kids gave a 5 star, April 10, 2014
i am just passing on what my kids said about this movie. 4 year boy loves it and my 8 year old boy loves it. They both want to see it again, which daddy is going to buy this movie-it's just nuts. hey they said it and i am just passing it on.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, April 14, 2014
Good movie for the kids. Great for movie night with the family! We all really enjoyed it, I'd recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining Computer Animated Film, August 15, 2014
This review is from: The Nut Job (Blu-ray + DVD + DIGITAL HD with UltraViolet) (Blu-ray)
The animals in Liberty Park don't have enough food to carry them through the winter. Surly Squirrel doesn't care about the others; he's looking out for number one. He has his eye on a nut cart, but when that doesn't work out, circumstances lead him to another opportunity to fill his belly.

I liked Surly. Buddy was my favorite. Some of the humans reminded me of characters in a classic gangster movie - their look, but mostly their way of speaking - and that tickled me. Even though Raccoon wasn't likable, he had my undivided attention because I like Liam Neeson's voice.

I love to see animated cities that look so close to real. The buildings, bridge, moving vehicles, colorful trees, waterfalls and even pipes and the garden hose were well done. I guess the little red haired girl was supposed to add humor, but I thought she was irritating. But there were parts that made me laugh. And I loved the vibrant colors.

The Nut Job (PG) is an entertaining computer animated film with lessons on trust and friendship.

4.0 out of 5 stars Didn't love it, but worth watching!, March 30, 2014
This review is from: The Nut Job (DVD)
I saw this movie with my 4 year old. I was surprised to see such bad reviews ok here. The movie is no Toy Story or anything, but it's still a cute film! My son laughed through most of the film and he thought the animals were hilarious.

I don't see it as a film he will watch over and over, but it was definitely a fun film for him. I chuckled a few times myself.

5.0 out of 5 stars another animal comes to my collection FOR THE FAMILY !!!, July 21, 2014
This review is from: The Nut Job (DVD)
Its time to go nuts for this action-packed comedy featuring the all-star talents of Will Arnett, Brendan Fraser, Gabriel Iglesias, Jeff Dunham, Liam Neeson, Maya Rudolph and Katherine Heigl....
Surly(Arnett) is a mischievous squirrel with a mission: to find the tastiest nuts for winter. When he discovers a whole store filled with his favorite food, he plans a heist of nutrageous proportions.
But the place turns out to be owned by ruthless bank robbers, so its up to Surly and his furry friends to stop the nerby bank heist and save the town. The fur is sure to fly in this hilarious adventure that critics are calling "Witty and funny! Recommended for all kids of all ages !!!"

3.0 out of 5 stars Movie OK, but WATCH THOSE EXTRAS!, September 15, 2014
Nat (Baltimore, MD United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Nut Job (DVD)
Watch the extra short film on the DVD version. My kids watched the film -- no problems there, not a cinematic masterpiece, but entertaining enough -- and then went on to explore the short film in the Extra portion of the DVD. The short is way over the top for small children. Violence aside, I heard the words "damn it, my god, and you ba----d!" None of which were in the movie and none of which are appropriate for my 8, 7, and 4-year old to hear. If you buy the DVD, just be careful.

4.0 out of 5 stars fun movie, April 13, 2014
It was a fun movie. Sure the quality wasn't pixar or disney but the story line wasn't any worse than movies from those companies. Kids (8 & 4) sat through the whole thing and enjoyed it.

1.0 out of 5 stars 'The Nut Job' fails to deliver the goods..., February 1, 2014
This review is from: The Nut Job (DVD)
Unfortunately, for those of us that enjoy watching animated movies either for our own entertainment or with our kids, not every new feature is going to be as well received as Disney’s Frozen. To that end, whichever animated film was going to be released after Disney’s latest box office success was bound to find itself on the proverbial short end of the stick (when comparing the two films). And here we are as Open Road Films, the distributor behind such films as End of Watch, Machete Kills, and Justin Bieber’s Believe, has decided to dabble in the animation pool – backing the release of 2014’s first animated film, The Nut Job.

Canadian animation director Peter Lepeniotis writes and directs his original story (based on his character from Surly Squirrel), The Nut Job. Surly (Will Arnett) is an openly selfish squirrel that only looks out of his own interests – most importantly of which is food. He is a member of a broader group of animals, led by a large raccoon – named Raccoon (Liam Neeson). With winter approaching and their food supply dwindling down, Raccoon sends two of his most trusted squirrels, Andie (Katherine Heigl) and Grayson (Brendan Fraser) to retrieve nuts from a new nut stand. Surly has a similar plan, but he only intention is to collect enough nuts for himself – with the help of his silent rat sidekick, Buddy.

Naturally, the plan goes astray for both Surly and his fellow group of animals when a grumpy child randomly approaches the nut vendor for some nuts. As it turns out, the nut vendor is nothing more than a common bank robber that has been casing the bank across the street. Mischief ensues and the nut cart eventually managers to do far more damage to Surly and the animals’ home – prompting Raccoon to banish Surly from his home. Now, homeless and forced to live in the scary city, Surly stumbles upon a nut storefront and devises a plan – with the help of Buddy and Andie, to steal and share the near endless supply of food.

The Nut Job is a below average animated feature and the best way to describe the direction of the plot would be lazy. Its storyline is easily foreseeable since (from the opening moments) the major predicament is blatantly evident, and features an outcome that everyone will already be expecting. On that merit alone, there’s absolutely nothing special about what this particular film has to offer. There are sub-par releases, like The Wild or Home on the Range, that have much more enjoyable characters, so I feel like this film should have done more than just introduce a rude squirrel, his mute sidekick (that looks like he’s straight out of Pixar’s 2007 acclaimed hit, Ratatouille) and a abruptly chatty dog. The bank heist paralleling the nut heist is cute, but it’s anything other than a fresh idea.

Surly, the film’s main character – is a problematic individual from several different points of view. For starters, he’s too self-centered for far too much of the film. In essence, it takes too long for him to become humbled. Obviously, his ultimate change in attitude is also a central point of the story, so we all know his inevitable sacrifice is going to be for the greater good of his peers. In this case, his about-face needed to take effect long before the climax of the film. No matter how many times people tell him he’s selfish, he openly admits that he’s perfectly okay with that position. It’s almost like this character tries to make defiance cool – yet the constant defiance creates for a barely likeable protagonist and devastates the character’s chemistry with his fellow animals.

Will Arnett, who voices Surly, is the definitely the wrong person to be behind the protagonist. His voice is too deep and borderline creepy – meaning he would have been much more acceptable as Raccoon, who becomes quite the unlikable character himself. Still, Liam Neeson was the man behind that voice and I won’t dare say anything bad about the guy that played Qui-Gon Jinn (although he has had plenty of lackluster roles over the years). In any event, Arnett’s domineering vocals are standoffish and just don’t work for a main character that should be beloved by viewers.

Overall, many people are far too harsh on animated films – but The Nut Job deserves the criticism. At the end of the day though, the only question most people are really interested in is: will it entertain kids? And, even though this plot is old and has been recycled more times than anyone is able to count, it will still hold children’s attentions for the duration. The characters are anything but memorable, and several of them try to be funny at the wrong moments, but the kids will likely chuckle a time or two. Animated films are generally moneymaking machines, and The Nut Job will likely do well enough to secure a sequel – even though it already feels more like a direct-to-video endeavor.

GRADE: D
FNDNreview.com

The Nut Job (Blu-ray + DVD + DIGITAL HD with UltraViolet)
$34.98 $12.99