Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Lacuna Coil Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation

Format: DVD|Change

on February 25, 2000
Combine great acting, humor and a storyline that has substance, and you have the Object of My Affection. Jennifer Aniston and Paul Rudd put it all together with such smooth, realistic performances, that the story of a young woman falling in love with her gay roomate is presented in a truly touching manner. There are complications, of course, giving a continuous interest from beginning to end. Jennifer Aniston performs as many great actresses have: she has such an effortless, natural aura that it hardly seems like she is acting. But there is so much behind those most expressive and hypnotic eyes. Looks like that are hard to find in Hollywood. Rudd reacts perfectly and adds much realism. You know why she falls in love with him. You feel that this situation and the complications could really happen and the script and actors make you believe it.
on December 10, 2001
I have to admit that this is a favorite movie of mine and I'm thrilled that it's finally coming to DVD. It's hardly challenging. It's not political. There's nothing outstanding about the filmmaking technique. It's simply a pleasant diversion, and as such, I enjoy it a great deal. And while it goes out of its way not to offend anyone, it does break some new ground in terms of mainstream Hollywood movies.
The story centers around the friendship of a gay schoolteacher, George (Paul Rudd), who is dumped by his boyfriend. (...)
It's a charming movie, with terrific performances throughout. Rudd and Anniston share terrific chemistry together. White is appropriately sleazy. Allison Janney and Alan Alda as Nina's sister and brother-in-law offer hilarious support. And Nigel Hawthorne as Paul's mentor, provides the movie with heart and soul. Pulitzer-prize winning playwright Wendy Wasserstein adapts Stephen McCauley's novel, and the script is solid. Nicholas Hytner's direction is assured. The movie is filled with laughs and genuine emotion. The scene in the gym where Nina confronts Stephen packs incredible power.
Some have complained that George is too perfect and too nice--that the filmmakers were so concerned about having the mainstream audience accept him as a character that they went out of his way to make him bland and inoffensive. There might be a little truth in that, but I think Rudd's performance makes the character feel genuine at all times. (...)
However, the one thing that really pleases me about this movie is that it was the first mainstream Hollywood movie that allowed its gay character to be gay. (I exclude "Torch Song Trilogy" from this analysis as TST was about gay relationships.) Up to this point, gay characters were everybody's best friend or problem. Window dressing to offer witty banter or to show us how liberal our heterosexual leads were. The gay characters were only gay because we were told they were--they were never allowed to have a romance of their own. Their love lives were always non-existent. The fact that George not only meets another guy and dates him. They have a genuine romantic and sexual relationship, something that most mainstream Hollywood movies rarely addressed with their gay male characters, unless as a "problem."
I have no idea what, if any extras, will be on the DVD. Frankly, I don't care. I'll be happy enough just to have it on DVD. But, once it has come out (as it were), I will revisit this review to discuss said extras (should there be some of note).
If you like this movie, then I strongly recommend: "Trick", "The Broken Hearts Club", "Broadway Damage", "Just One Time", "Billy's Hollywood Screen Kiss", "Torch Song Trilogy", "9 to 5" (no gay content, but a very funny comedy), and (begrudgingly as it is not nearly as good as the other movies on this list as it is very coy about the homosexuality of its characters), "In & Out".
Review (C)2001 Joe Edkin
on May 16, 2003
I didn't think I could watch a movie about a straight woman who fell in love with a gay man without a lot of cynical and not-politically-correct comments. I mean, I've seen too much of it.
But when I watched this movie, what struck me was not the sexual orientation of the characters, but the age-old bittersweet heartbreak of unrequited love. And that is what comes bleeding through in this movie.
Jennifer Anniston is a very lovely young woman who has a penchant for falling for men who aren't right for her. (Fear of commitment?) When handsome, sensitive Paul Rudd (who just happens to be a sensational dancer) comes into her life, it just figures she'll veer towards him instead of her doting but domineering boyfriend (a great supporting character in a movie full of great supporting characters). He is gay, but is clearly troubled by an attraction that just doesn't seem to fit his lifestyle (as is she). These two really love one another, but can't make it work. And is that really all so strange, in the gay OR straight world? Not at all. The dance scenes, to the Gene Kelley movie, are lovely and lyrical.
I say BAH! to all the gay reviewers out there who said this movie almost said something, but didn't. They're reading too much into it. It's about unrequited love, pure and complicated. Just look at Nina's (Jennifer's) face as she tells George she wants to marry him, that she wants him to want her just as she wants him. That's enough to make you cry.
on January 7, 2014
This scenario is highly realistic and demonstrates the conflicts between emotionally one-sided love and the powerful friendships between gay men and straight women... and, the complications that may result.

Paul Rudd is a sweet, charming, goodlooking GAY schoolteacher who everyone adores... including his new best friend and roommate, Jennifer Aniston... SPOILER: Basically, Jennifer falls in love with Paul and this creates an ever-growing difficulty of unrequited love which puts Paul in a bind while both try to deal with the facts of life: no matter how much a straight woman and a gay man love each other, sexual satisfaction and romantic attachments are not going to occur for most and lead to a pulling, tugging, dragging contradictory relationship that can hurt all. Jennifer unwittingly falls for Paul while he tries his best to reciprocate FRIENDSHIP while keeping boundaries... unfortunately, easier said than done.

This is a beautifully portrayed story with classic values epitomized by both our main characters who are surrounded with other dramas, comedic and otherwise... by a great supporting cast. This movie may not be new, but it is an eye opener for many who assume too much in this world... not all is as it appears and we may never know what's going to happen next in life, but we should be grateful for all the good we can get from every relationship - however it may be defined. A very worthy purchase!
on November 22, 2013
I have given this 3 stars because it was well crafted and poignant. That is not to say that I enjoyed it. The film was not directed towards me. This is a gay film, which is not a criticism at all but merely that the audience is that and not straight men. Every scene is crafted to that end. Moreover, the wondrous Jennifer Aniston that many of us came to adore from other films and Friends is not present. She's on the screen, to be sure, but the mature, sultry, even sexy Ms. Anniston is AWOL; in her place is a vulnerable, insecure sensitive single who must choose between 'traditional' and...'differently oriented', i.e. straight vs. gay.

To sum up, if you like the idea of a woman having to decide between a sensitive, caring gay man vs. a 'normal guy' who has 'it all' except for any heart or personality, then this is an excellent portrayal and you should love it. If, on the other hand, you were looking for a romantic comedy with the gorgeous Jennifer Aniston as the lovable vamp, then by all means buy one of her latest films which are all of that and more. This is a poignant character portrayal only...

Sidebar: I could have sworn this film was 'rated' R when I bought it; I note it now has no rating shown. Well, unless you are a prude and are shocked at any aspect of the gay life, the film was easily ratable as 'PG' or 'PG-13' at the most...
on December 16, 2014
I haven't opened the DVD package to see if it works because I am giving it away as a Christmas gift but I have seen the movie before and absolutely love it..... Hence why I'm giving it to someone as a gift :)
on June 18, 2014
I think you will love this film if you care about the unusual. I was moved and taken on an unexpected but fascinating journey. It is my favorite Anniston performance and now I get Paul Rudd who made me think of a young Gene Kelley. Romantic and provocative and just lovely. Rent this and be prepared to fall in love.
on October 27, 2014
Looking for a light-hearted comedy to play when TV schedule is boring. This movie has been on TV many times and I knew it was amusing. For light-hearted comedy it's just fine. Jennifer Aniston is just being "Rachel Greene" as usual, but Paul Rudd, Allison Janney and Alan Alda are good to see.
on August 21, 2015
In no way shape or form am I a fan of Jennifier Aniston. She is always the same and as much as I hate to admit it, in this movie having her be the same is the right thing to do. She has a best friend (Paul Rudd) who is gay when she meets him and they are the best of friends. But she falls in love with him and he thinks he may feel the same too. They co-habitate and "do it" now and then and then he realizes that this isn't what he wants, but she still loves him and they separate and he doesn't know she is pregnant. I think you can guess the rest....or can you?
on August 27, 2014
Not even a very good chick-flick. I like both Paul Rudd and Jennifer Anniston, but I've seen much better. I thought the theme of living with and being so open to the gay life-style was very "90's" Attitudes in society are markedly different now. The best part of the movie to me, is that the individual characters did not (this could be a spoiler) Put it this way, they remained true to their essential selves. I liked that.