Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

Format: DVDChange

on February 25, 2000
Combine great acting, humor and a storyline that has substance, and you have the Object of My Affection. Jennifer Aniston and Paul Rudd put it all together with such smooth, realistic performances, that the story of a young woman falling in love with her gay roomate is presented in a truly touching manner. There are complications, of course, giving a continuous interest from beginning to end. Jennifer Aniston performs as many great actresses have: she has such an effortless, natural aura that it hardly seems like she is acting. But there is so much behind those most expressive and hypnotic eyes. Looks like that are hard to find in Hollywood. Rudd reacts perfectly and adds much realism. You know why she falls in love with him. You feel that this situation and the complications could really happen and the script and actors make you believe it.
on December 10, 2001
I have to admit that this is a favorite movie of mine and I'm thrilled that it's finally coming to DVD. It's hardly challenging. It's not political. There's nothing outstanding about the filmmaking technique. It's simply a pleasant diversion, and as such, I enjoy it a great deal. And while it goes out of its way not to offend anyone, it does break some new ground in terms of mainstream Hollywood movies.
The story centers around the friendship of a gay schoolteacher, George (Paul Rudd), who is dumped by his boyfriend. (...)
It's a charming movie, with terrific performances throughout. Rudd and Anniston share terrific chemistry together. White is appropriately sleazy. Allison Janney and Alan Alda as Nina's sister and brother-in-law offer hilarious support. And Nigel Hawthorne as Paul's mentor, provides the movie with heart and soul. Pulitzer-prize winning playwright Wendy Wasserstein adapts Stephen McCauley's novel, and the script is solid. Nicholas Hytner's direction is assured. The movie is filled with laughs and genuine emotion. The scene in the gym where Nina confronts Stephen packs incredible power.
Some have complained that George is too perfect and too nice--that the filmmakers were so concerned about having the mainstream audience accept him as a character that they went out of his way to make him bland and inoffensive. There might be a little truth in that, but I think Rudd's performance makes the character feel genuine at all times. (...)
However, the one thing that really pleases me about this movie is that it was the first mainstream Hollywood movie that allowed its gay character to be gay. (I exclude "Torch Song Trilogy" from this analysis as TST was about gay relationships.) Up to this point, gay characters were everybody's best friend or problem. Window dressing to offer witty banter or to show us how liberal our heterosexual leads were. The gay characters were only gay because we were told they were--they were never allowed to have a romance of their own. Their love lives were always non-existent. The fact that George not only meets another guy and dates him. They have a genuine romantic and sexual relationship, something that most mainstream Hollywood movies rarely addressed with their gay male characters, unless as a "problem."
I have no idea what, if any extras, will be on the DVD. Frankly, I don't care. I'll be happy enough just to have it on DVD. But, once it has come out (as it were), I will revisit this review to discuss said extras (should there be some of note).
If you like this movie, then I strongly recommend: "Trick", "The Broken Hearts Club", "Broadway Damage", "Just One Time", "Billy's Hollywood Screen Kiss", "Torch Song Trilogy", "9 to 5" (no gay content, but a very funny comedy), and (begrudgingly as it is not nearly as good as the other movies on this list as it is very coy about the homosexuality of its characters), "In & Out".
Review (C)2001 Joe Edkin
11 comment22 of 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 16, 2003
I didn't think I could watch a movie about a straight woman who fell in love with a gay man without a lot of cynical and not-politically-correct comments. I mean, I've seen too much of it.
But when I watched this movie, what struck me was not the sexual orientation of the characters, but the age-old bittersweet heartbreak of unrequited love. And that is what comes bleeding through in this movie.
Jennifer Anniston is a very lovely young woman who has a penchant for falling for men who aren't right for her. (Fear of commitment?) When handsome, sensitive Paul Rudd (who just happens to be a sensational dancer) comes into her life, it just figures she'll veer towards him instead of her doting but domineering boyfriend (a great supporting character in a movie full of great supporting characters). He is gay, but is clearly troubled by an attraction that just doesn't seem to fit his lifestyle (as is she). These two really love one another, but can't make it work. And is that really all so strange, in the gay OR straight world? Not at all. The dance scenes, to the Gene Kelley movie, are lovely and lyrical.
I say BAH! to all the gay reviewers out there who said this movie almost said something, but didn't. They're reading too much into it. It's about unrequited love, pure and complicated. Just look at Nina's (Jennifer's) face as she tells George she wants to marry him, that she wants him to want her just as she wants him. That's enough to make you cry.
on December 1, 2001
When I rented this movie, I thought "Ah a Jennifer Aniston movie...she's gonna play the shallow but nice girl, gonna meet a guy...etc." In other words: Boy meets girl, girl likes guy, guy likes girl. Girl's confused, guy goes off, girl is sad, they come back together and that's the end. I was very off base. This is a sweet romantic dramedy (comedy/drama) that makes you want to laugh and cry at the same time. Paul Rudd plays a gay school teacher, who (after finding out his current relationship is over) moves in with his new friend (Aniston). When she discovers that she is pregnant, she decides that she wants Rudd to be the father figure for the child...which is not what her boyfriend wants. This intricate story is so delicately done, that (unlike most movies) it seems to be glass. The supporting characters are wonderfully lovable/loathsome. No revelations seem too spontaneous, but are eased into, making it a lovely and enjoyable film. One of those movies that makes you want to be in the characters world and shout "YOU SHOULD BE TOGETHER!"
I highly recommend that you add it to your collection, you will not regret it.
on October 11, 2013
I was expecting a kind of stupid shallow flick and was pleasantly surprised to discover a very thoughtful and touching movie instead. It's a bit mis-categorized as it isn't quite a "romantic comedy", but I liked it better for being not like all the other rom-coms out there. I liked that it was more about love in its various forms than about romance, as this way the movie was able to address some topics and situations that most movies ignore.
on December 14, 2001
The Object Of My Affection is a great Flick. I am so excited it's finally on DVD. This movie takes place in New York City with our former Twin Tower buildings as the beautiful backdrop. The movie is about a women named Nina (Jennifer Aniston) who falls in love with her roommate George (Paul Rudd), but there is one problem ... he is gay. George decides to move out and move in with Nina after his boyfriend Joley tells him he is seeing another guy. Nina who has a boyfriend finds herself falling in love with George and soon she finds out she is pregnant but decides she wants to raise the child with George instead. George finally starts to fall for Nina, but after a weekend trip with his x-boyfriend Joley, George soon finds himself falling for a guy named Paul, and soon there is a decision that forces George to decide between Nina and Paul. I know it sound like a too much drama, but this is a movie worth watching, I will not say anymore other than this is a Great movie that will make you laugh and bring tears to your eyes as well. Im glad to see The Object Of My Affection has made it to DVD. Buy it it is a great flick that breaks down the walls of sexuality as you can not choose who you can fall in love with, true love just happens. (...)
0Comment8 of 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 16, 2000
Unfortunately this film wasn't what I was expecting. Although Aniston and Rudd work well together and their friendship is touching, if you like a perfect happy ending to your film then don't watch this.
Although the character portrayals were great the actual story left me feeling a little flat.
on July 19, 2005
I've had this item on my wishlist for 2 and a half years now, and I'm so glad to finally have it on DVD, and for cheap too. I saw this film on TV ages ago, and it was actually edited for TV. The scene where Rodney gets punched after Paul's play wasn't in the version I saw.

This film has its faults, but I love the way Paul Rudd isn't playing a stereotypical gay guy with the hands & everything. Plus, he's also (as far as I know) a straight guy, playing a gay guy, who also managed to do a full-on kiss with another guy.

Object Of My Affection was a very true to life film, considering many women fall in love with gay guys, or who happen to be their best friends, and think they can 'change' them. They've never met the right women etc. All the feelings flow through in Jennifer Aniston's portrayal of Nina in this.

Oh my God though, this film must have been so hard to film. Apart from the guy-on-guy kiss, Paul Rudd has admitted to him & Jennifer not getting on during the filming, and I can't remember exactly what he said, but it wasn't nice. And it shows in the movie! They seem almost like they're going through the motions with their lines. Paul also appeared in the last two series of Friends, as Phoebe's boyfriend (and then husband) Mike, but notably, never appeared in a single scene with Jennifer, only in group scenes, and they were never placed near each other. Wow.

This won't appeal to many people, and could easily have been a TV movie shown during the day, or late at night. It's unoffensive, cheap & cheerful. There's no features on the version I have, not a trailer or nothing.
"The Object of My Affection" explores the isssue of straight women falling in love with gay men. This topic is even more prevailent in 2009, what with "American Idol" and Adam Lambert in which many women are in love with him, despite the fact that he is gay. Women have always felt a strong connection to male homosexuals for we, as gay guys, can be very affectionate, articulate, sensitive, and artistic, something that straight men can sometimes lack.
Jennifer Aniston, from TV's "Friends", stars as Nina, who is pregnant, and decides she wants to raise the child with her best friend George, who is gay and an elementary school teacher. Paul Rudd, who plays George, portrays his character in a positive manner, ignoring all the gay cliches that are sometimes prevailent in gay characterizations in films. George is straight-looking, beautiful to look at, and very much a man. He also has all the qualities that Nina's boyfriend doesn't possess, which is one of the reasons she falls in love with George, knowing a romance between them will never come to pass. "The Object Of My Affection" is a beautiful love story between two adult people who love one another, a love story unlike any I have seen in film. The writing is excellent, the performances flawless as we really feel for these people, and the directing is dead on.
The DVD comes with tons of bonuses, including the original trailer, a featurette, TV spots, dolby sound, and it comes with english and spanish subtitles. Critics hailed this movie: Rex Reed called it "absolutely enchatting", and Peter Travers says, it is "memorably funny and touching".
on January 7, 2014
This scenario is highly realistic and demonstrates the conflicts between emotionally one-sided love and the powerful friendships between gay men and straight women... and, the complications that may result.

Paul Rudd is a sweet, charming, goodlooking GAY schoolteacher who everyone adores... including his new best friend and roommate, Jennifer Aniston... SPOILER: Basically, Jennifer falls in love with Paul and this creates an ever-growing difficulty of unrequited love which puts Paul in a bind while both try to deal with the facts of life: no matter how much a straight woman and a gay man love each other, sexual satisfaction and romantic attachments are not going to occur for most and lead to a pulling, tugging, dragging contradictory relationship that can hurt all. Jennifer unwittingly falls for Paul while he tries his best to reciprocate FRIENDSHIP while keeping boundaries... unfortunately, easier said than done.

This is a beautifully portrayed story with classic values epitomized by both our main characters who are surrounded with other dramas, comedic and otherwise... by a great supporting cast. This movie may not be new, but it is an eye opener for many who assume too much in this world... not all is as it appears and we may never know what's going to happen next in life, but we should be grateful for all the good we can get from every relationship - however it may be defined. A very worthy purchase!