The Odd Couple
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:$4.09 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on April 10, 2008
Format: Audio CD
Love the new album. I was a fan of a few of the singles from the first album. On their sophomore effort, Gnarls Barkley has fully accomplished consistency. The entire project sounds like it was meant to go together. The tracks just flow together so fluidly, and they all feel like part of the same family.

Would recommend highly if you like that mid-tempo, funk infused vibe.
Format: Audio CD
The dynamic duo is back with their follow up to the extremely successful debut St. Elsewhere, that garnered critical acclaim from scholars, D-boys, blacks, whites and everyone in between. With their sophomore album The Odd Couple hitting stores this week, the speculation and curiosity for the album is reaching its peak. "Is the album as weird as the first?", "Does it suffer from sophomore jinx?", "Have they sold out completely and let Timbaland produce the album?". Well the answers are NO, and thank God to the last question, ABSOLUTELY NOT to the second, and YES to the first (and I'm loving every minute of it). Odd Couple is a continuation from St. Elsewhere and with the brilliant formula Danger mouse and Ceelo used the first time around, it would only be logical not to fix it.

The Grammy award winning group that consist of Danger mouse, who's still working his creative genius behind the boards as a producer, and Cee-lo on vocals. If you were a fan of, admired or had an undying love for St. Elsewhere than this album will solidify your love of this group. Odd Couple isn't a carbon copy of St. Elsewhere by any means, it just merely takes creative concepts and sounds, that are complimented by Cee-lo's vocal intensity, from the last album and displays it all on this album, see "Open Book".

Pop influences plucked from the 50s and 60s, that are very reminiscent of The Beatles and The Rolling Stones, are merged with soul sounds of that era and crashes smack dab into the Hip-Hop heavy, electronica experimentation of now BEAUTIFULLY. On songs like "Surprise" this musical collision course of sounds is the most apparent, while "Whatever" gives you a feeling of what the Beach Boys would sound like if they were around now and the group consisted of experimental stoners. Unlike the first album, the upbeat schizophrenic moments are toned down abit, think alittle less "Go Go Gadget Gospel" and alittle more "St. Elsewhere", the song that is, from their first album.

Listening to This album can only be summed up as one word, an experience. With the textures this album display, you get a strong admiration for this duo and their knack for putting upbeat, fun, electronic, hip-hop beats to dark lyrics and menacing vocals. The juxtaposition of emotions and sounds displayed through out this album is gutsy and just plain fun to listen to, never knowing when or where a turn will come, proving that this Odd Couple is more of a perfect pair.
on May 9, 2008
Format: Audio CDVerified Purchase
Familiar with both Mouse and Cee-lo's previous works, I checked out Elsewhere and was very impressed. The album was brilliant and even after hearing Crazy eleventy million times over that summer, even that song was still listenable and fun.

Upon hearing that their second album was coming out, I worried for a moment about the sophomore jinx and how it could effect what was originally a bit of a novelty group. I feared a cheap Crazy remake and some hit-and-miss tunes. Banish the thought. Even the single Run evokes Crazy in catchiness only, contrasting Crazy's off-beat drum line with a simple and quick tempo driven by a zippy high-hat and sing-alongs. But the real joys can be found with the rest of the album. This second effort mixes hip-hop-ish beats with jangly 50's pop song chimes and effects, layered over the top with occasionally playful, occasionally deep and introspective lyrics, molded into pleas, entreaties, and deadpans by Cee-lo's always intriguing vocal delivery.

The closest thing to a clunker for me is track 6, I just can't get with the beat (or lack of!). And not every musical foray by these two is going to work for everyone, but their moments of brilliance buy a lot of goodwill for the infrequent B- track that occasionally shows up. And for A+ tracks, Charity Case, Going On, and Surprise are all gems.

If you liked Elsewhere, do pick up this album as well. You won't be disappointed.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Format: Audio CD
Now normally as a rule I do not review music, because my taste in music is so odd that a reader following my reviews would be quite upset with me. I listen to everything, and I have completely different reasons why I listen to them, the reason I listen to Gnarls Barkley is because it is an excellent soundtrack to my life, esp. when driving.

I almost didn't review it because of the looks I have given myself over past reviews made about music that were more like ramblings over some cute guy. At 25 cuteness is no longer a factor, and if it is at 25 I should never tell anyone that. But this cd is so good I had to leave a few thoughts.

Its so simple, its delicious. It throws back to songs that make you want to do the monkey and I felt like buying a couple of vintage go go boots and get down. At the same time he speaks on some complex, well not so complex emotions, like being a teen alone in the world ( I was one of those once) about people envying you and not knowing what you sacraficed to get there. About self love, self hate, and helping people just to make yourself feel good. You may not think you'll like it, but you will, this music is so universal.

I wish I could be more complex about it, but its just good music, like their first album, you can listen to it over and over and never get tired of it and never feel like its old.
Format: Audio CD
I have to confess that up to a week ago, I really didn't know Gnarls Barkley at all and I was influenced by the buzz during the last week to get a copy of "The Odd Couple" for me. I should say that I was thrilled to discover (so late) such great artists. They make unconventional, yet ingenious songs. Now I look forward to also adding "St. Elsewhere" to my collection.

Judging this release by itself, I found some songs that are really worth of listening to multiple times, like: "Going On" (it has an enthusiastic hand clapping beat), "Whatever" (with its very unconcerned lyrics), "Surprise" (reminds a lot surf music in some passages), "No Time Soon" (heart-and-soul lyrics), "Blind Mary" (ever heard the Fine Young Cannibals in the 80s? Pay attention to how Cee-Lo sounds singing this song and you will know what I'm talking about) and "Neighbors" (no special comments on this one, it's just great).

This is a short length album (less than 45 minutes) so there is no way you can feel tired before the end of the recording. Other songs that I have not mentioned are also cool, but I really prefer the ones I mentioned above. And if at least half the album is great, I should say I made a great purchase. If you dedide to take this home, you won't be disappointed.
on May 26, 2008
Format: Audio CD
After listening to this album a dozen times, including now as I write this review, it has become a personal classic. While the immensely talented Danger Mouse has crafted some sensational beats on this album, for me, Cee-lo stands out and beyond anything he did on St. Elsewhere with his powerful voice, and amazing lyrics. I have developed a soft spot for this album because the lyrics from song to song almost form a narrative, as Cee-lo describes the various stages and thoughts he has throughout encountering relationships. So many of the lyrics beautifully delivered by Cee-lo, who for me is pretty much the new Al Green, can describe situations I have gone through, and thoughts I have had, whilst in a meaningful relationship, and after a depressing breakup. Cee-lo's great lyrical talent earns him a top spot on my list of song writers, and I'll go through each song to give you an idea of how this CD forms somewhat of a narrative by describing a few of the tracks that stood out for me.

1. Charity Case - First of all, this is a tremendous opening song for the CD. The beat is nice and Cee-lo's lyrics are spot on. The content of the lyrics is quite fitting as an introductory song to a CD labeled 'The Odd Couple,' as it deals with what would appear to be two people talking about their differences. Who these people are is not exactly certain. Cee-lo could be talking about his relationship with Danger Mouse, which could go along nicely with the theme of the CD, but given that there is a female backup singer in this song, who responds to some of the lyrics Cee-lo delivers, leads me to believe that the entire CD is about relationships in general.

Here's the first verse to give you an idea of what the song is like. The lyrics in brackets are sung by the female backup singer:
[Cee-Lo]
"I don't know what matters to you at this moment
But that's all that matters to me
How are you? (How are you?)
Knock on wood
Well I'm not doin so good
(I bet you pro-ba-bly couldn't tell)
(Although you're worth it, I'm still not well)
And I don't understand how I'm so understandin
I guess that that's all I can be
How are you? (How are you?)
I think I can help
But I can't help myself
(Shouldn't I be happy? You need my help)
(I usually just talk, to myself)"

The chorus is a nice catchy tune, with the lyrics "give it away now" repeated, and here Cee-lo is likely talking about his heart. The word charity is most likely associated with Cee-lo's apparent desire for some compassion, where he is in need of some charity. Some other stand out lines in this song are the following,
[Cee-Lo]
"Now all apologies baby but I'm bleedin too
Are you needin me like I'm needin you
Even my shadow leaves me all alone at night
Guess I need to start to take my own advice"

Cee-lo's smart delivery and wonderful voice leads to quite a memorable track. It runs with the idea of a couple conversing about the situations they've gone through, and feelings they've felt, now that they have broken up, and the lyrics in this song fit perfectly in that regard.

Sly's Rating - 9/10

2. Who's Gonna Save My Soul - This is one of my favorite songs on the album, and is quite a moving one with some quite well crafted lyrics. The somber mood established by Danger Mouse's tremendous beat goes along very nicely with the theme of the song. This song jumps back to when Cee-lo first discovers his relationship is over, and if you've ever been there, it is a very unpleasant moment. Somehow this song manages to capture that intense feeling of sorrow and turn it into something beautiful. I can't possibly describe how that happens by posting some of the lyrics, as the tempo and tune of the song have much to do with that, however some of the lyrics might be able to give you a good idea.
[Cee-Lo]
"I got some bad news this morning
Which in turn made my day
When this someone spoke I listened
All of a sudden, has less and less to say
Ohhhhhh how could this be?
All this time, I've lived vicariously
Who's gonna save my soul now?
Who's gonna save my soul now?
How will my story ever be tollllld now?
How will my story be tollllld now?"

[Cee-Lo]
"And maybe it's a little selfish
All I have is the memory
Yet I never stopped to wonder-ahhhhh
Was it possible you were hurtin worse than me
Still my hunger turns to greeeeed
Cause what about what I neeeeeed?!"

Sly's Rating: 10/10

3. Going On - Cee-lo's progression with getting to terms with his lost relationship receive an extremely uplifting song on the third track. It carries that almost over the top optimism that you try to muster inside yourself when you're trying to come to terms with a break up, like no matter what happens, you'll be ok, or, you'll be able to go on, in this case.
Here are some lyrics from the song. This time the bracketed lyrics are simply echoes of Cee-lo's lyrics, done by Cee-lo, as this song is pretty much Cee-lo's inner monologue about what he's going to do to move on with life.

[Cee-Lo]
Anyone that needs what they want, and doesn't want what they need
I want nothing to do with (do with)
I am to do what I want, and to do what I please
Is first off my to-do list (to-do list)
But every once in a while, I think about her smile
One of the few things I do miss (do miss)
But baby I've got to go, baby I've got to know
Baby I've got to prove it (prove it)
And I'll see you when you get there

[Chorus: Cee-Lo]
But I'm going on... and I'm prepared to go it alone~!
I'm going on... to a place in the sun that's nice and warm
I'm going on, and I'm sure they'll have a place for you too
Oo-hoo-ooh

The song ends with a sensational instrumental by Danger Mouse, which to me kind of symbolizes Cee-lo's progression into the place in the sun that's nice and warm that he described.

Sly's Rating: 9/10

4. Run (I'm A Natural Disaster) - This song is all about Cee-lo doing something completely drastic in a vain attempt to get over the break up, which again if you've been there, is probably something that crosses your mind when encountering depression and sorrow. This was the single for the CD, which is bizarre in my opinion, as it is probably one of the more depressing songs, despite the quite vibrant beat.

[Cee-Lo]
"Yeah it's still the same, can't you feel the pain?
When the needle hits the vein, ain't nothing like the real thang
I've seen it once before and oh it's something else, good God!
Cool breeze come on in, sunshine come on down
These are the teardrops of a clown, the circus is comin to town
All I'm sayin is sometimes I'm more scared of myself
You better (MOVE!) I said (MOVE!) Ha yeah"

This is one of the songs I had trouble understanding, as for whatever reason, Cee-lo seems to be talking to children throughout the song. In the chorus, he exclaims, "Run Away! Run Away! Run Children! Run for you life!" This might in fact be Cee-lo doing something as drastic as literally approaching a bunch of children and unloading his angst on them.
Sly's Rating: 8/10

5. Would Be Killer - Here we progress into Cee-lo's dark and brooding angst, as he contemplates what would typically be unthinkable. He delves into thoughts of murder and deep depression. The production on this track is especially on point by Danger Mouse, as he maintains that creepy brooding expression you might expect to see on Cee-lo's face while he sings this song.

Iiiiiiiiiii've got a secret
Something I thought maybe I could do
But I can't, now can I?
Lucky - lucky youuuuu!

[Chorus]
Did you know I could be, a would be, killer
If suddenly I should be, I would be, killer

Hurrrrrt people, hurt people
Thissss is always howwwww
Oh I've been entered by evil
So someone best love me right now!

I think the lyrics here mostly speak for them self. Cee-lo is thinking about doing something horrible unless he receives the love that he feels he deserves. Quite a horrifying place to be I would say, and the track reflects that really well.

Sly's Rating 8/10

So here is where my review will end, as it was a great joy of mine to unravel each track and discover the real theme of this album, and I wouldn't want to give it all away before you listened to this outstanding softmore album yourself. This isn't really an album review afterall, merely quite a personal interpretation of the general themes of the album. Having said that, I still feel this album is truly Barking something Gnarly, and it just so happens to carry a few themes that lead me to believe that the whole album is about relationships, so if that ain't your cup of tea, this album might not mean much to you.

Sly's Album Rating: 9/10
on April 24, 2008
Format: Audio CD
The Odd Couple sticks pretty close to the formula that was established on their debut. Dangermouse does his best to incorporate every instrument known to man in his beats & Cee-Lo is at his paranoid best. The 1st three tracks flatter to deceive as they almost sound conventional but Dangermouse throws a curve ball on "Would Be Killer" & "Open Book" just to remind us that this is after all a Gnarls Barkley release. Beyond that however the weirdness fades and tracks like "Surprise" sounds like nothing more than two hip-hopsters experimenting with a bit of rock.

Lyrically Cee-Lo plays the role of paranoid mad man but every once in a while, as on "Blind Mary" he throws in a bit 'sweet & innocence' in the mix. The same 'sweet & innocence' that is found in movies like 'There's Something About Mary'

Ultimately it is the fact that Gnarls Barkley do not break any new ground that make this a better, albeit less challenging, affair. They stick to the script with great effect making for an album that you can listen to from front to back and then repeat.
on June 4, 2008
Format: Audio CD
I would not call this album heavily produced..."reduced" is more like it. The basic production really gives Cee-Lo's lyrics room to shine.

And shine they do. My son has called 'Blind Mary', "perfect".

Songs like 'She Knows', 'Open Book' and 'Surprise' really give you an insight to just how good Cee-lo is with the lyrics.

It is a mellower album than St. Elsewhere. So if you are looking for something really uptempo, this album as a whole may not do it for you.
on April 24, 2008
Format: Audio CD
After the 5 star truly amazing St Elsewhere, I wasn't really expecting anything extraordinary as a follow up - how wrong could I have been! Like St Elsewhere, there is not a single track that doesn't 'fit'. Maybe not quite as complex as St Elsewhere, but still quite simply a thrill to listen to. The coolest, slickest, smartest collaboration in recent memory!
on April 20, 2008
Format: Audio CD
Coming off the mostly happy tunes of St. Elsewhere, The Odd Couple takes a more solemn tone to things. But that doesn't make it any less awesome. I don't think there's a song on this album that I don't like, though I am partial to Open Book, Blind Mary, and Going On.