4.0 out of 5 stars I would give it 5 stars if I knew I could win more.
We have two earlier editions that were about to fall apart waiting for these. It is very noticeable that there are quite a few new words in these. So start studying so you can stay competitive. Or just cheat and look at these books, might be easier to learn that way.
Published 1 month ago by W. Larsen

2.0 out of 5 stars I am disappointed; it is not user friendly
The print is so small that I have to use a magnifing glass even with my glasses on. Also, it is thick & narrow, so it is hard to use. I am disappointed; it is not user friendly.
Published 1 month ago by ELIZ75LEI

2.0 out of 5 stars I am disappointed; it is not user friendly, August 22, 2014
ELIZ75LEI "Marilyn Apau" (PEMBROKE PINES, FL, US) - See all my reviews

2.0 out of 5 stars Word list for the easily offended, August 21, 2014
This edition is intended for use in school and recreational play and lacks tens of thousands of words that can be officially played in tournament and club play. If you're ok with that then this book may be fine for you.

Buyers should be aware that this book is just a "sanitized" (and thus shortened) version of the official tournament play words list. You will not find in this book many of the expletives and slang that everyone knows (and of course many that they don't know :) ).

This is not a dictionary/word list for a serious Scrabble player. This is instead a book to be used by folks that like to play word games such as Scrabble but are easily offended by the mere existence of some words in our language that they may find offensive.

4.0 out of 5 stars I would give it 5 stars if I knew I could win more., August 14, 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars OTCWL2014, August 19, 2014
R. Vail (Surprise, AZ USA) - See all my reviews
Another "Scrabble official word list" paperback book publication called "The Official Tournament and Club Word List (2014 Edition) (OTCWL2014)" is available at Official Tournament and Club Word List - 2014 Edition
Includes words of 2 to 15 letters, but no definitions. And is only available via membership in North American SCRABBLE Players Association.
Note: The older 2005 edition is listed for sale here: National Scrabble Association Official Tournament and Club Word List

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm having fun discovering all the new words that are now possible, August 17, 2014
Anne S. Headley (University Park, MD United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Official Scrabble Players Dictionary (Paperback)
This new dictionary will change your scrabble playing. I'm having fun discovering all the new words that are now possible. I do miss those handy little lists of two-letter words and various other aids that the larger dictionaries contained.

1.0 out of 5 stars A pathetic product, I am not at all impressed, August 17, 2014
This review is from: The Official Scrabble Players Dictionary (Paperback)
I gave this one star because as a semipro Scrabble player myself AND a designer of word games similar to Scrabble I am DISGUSTED by the fact that what SHOULD have been done was NOT done. I am not sure what makes me smarter (and by "smarter" I am talking about bottom line common sense, the way Forrest Gump was "smarter" than all of the politicians who were in favor of the Vietnam war, I know I am not technically smarter than these people). Right now I will list what SHOULD have happened.

1. The "official tournament and club word list" includes every word up to NINE letters, yet the jerks who wrote this book only include words up to 8 letters. Is that some kind of veiled insult to anyone who is not part of the tournament club scene? Pretty presumptuous to assume "regular" people cannot play words longer than 8 letters. It is well past time that this dictionary goes to nine letters instead of 8.

2. What a headache it will be to track down all the "new" words. At the very beginning before the regular dictionary starts with AA there should be all of the new words listed alphabetically with no definitions and small print just so that active players like me can make the necessary adjustments, it would probably only be a few pages. In addition to that, to help players adjust to the new words all new words should be printed in a different font than the other words. This was not done.

3. Every time a new edition is printed there are some words that were allowed in the previous edition that are no longer allowed. To help seasoned players like myself make the adjustment there should be a section early in the book that lists all of the words that were "expunged" meaning in the previous edition but not the new one. This was not done either.

4. The writers need to grow a spine. Years ago all "offensive' words were removed and not just really bad words almost all words involving race or ethnicity that are not at all offensive. Basically the spineless wimps who work for the Marriam Webster Dictionary Company are a bunch of castrated eunuchs with no spine determined to walk on eggshells to avoid offending anyone. Hell even "fatso" is not allowed anymore because it might hurt the feelings of an overweight player. In fact new swear words which I cannot list hear because my post will be rejected should be added

5. They did not even do that good a job adding new words. As a "litmus test" I checked for 2 words that I know should probably be added, one was SAI (a type of bladed martial arts weapon) and OLM (a type of salamander) and REMEKIN (a type of food container). I do not much care about those 3 words specifically but as I said it was a "litmus test" and the fact that they were not there gives me very little faith that a real examination of the English language was done, Oh sure they admitted on the back cover that they added some culturally new words like "selfie" but they were not as thorough as they could have been.

5.0 out of 5 stars (It's fun just to flip through it, September 9, 2014
This review is from: The Official Scrabble Players Dictionary (Paperback)
If you're a avid Scrabble player, you definitely need this book! There are over 5,000 new words. (It's fun just to flip through it.) It also has new words that are now part of our vocabulary, It also has a short addenda listing Q words where Q is not followed by U, 2-7 letter words without AEIOU vowels, and 2-6 letter words with J,Q,X, or Z.

The book I read is paperback and 728 pages + the addenda. It's really a big help if you are a serious player.

I recommend highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars THINK YOU'VE LEARNED ALL THE SCRABBLE WORDS? THINK AGAIN!, August 31, 2014
This review is from: The Official Scrabble Players Dictionary (Paperback)
Too many new words are messing up the language and just when I thought it was safe to go into higher competition! The book is what it says it is and I'm glad to have it in case of disputes with my spouse over my sometimes imaginative spelling. I am not unfamiliar with the book -- have used the prior edition for some time and it is the final authority here (in Scrabble, that is). Every Scrabble player needs the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary, whether or not it works in their favor.

4.0 out of 5 stars Word Play, August 15, 2014
This review is from: The Official Scrabble Players Dictionary (Paperback)
Plenty of words and legible; what more can one ask. Oh, I use it for Jumble !

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, August 10, 2014
Jane F. Mulligan (Beaver Dam, WI USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Official Scrabble Players Dictionary (Paperback)
have already found several new words that I will use
we play 2 X a week

The Official Scrabble Players Dictionary
The Official Scrabble Players Dictionary by Merriam-Webster (Paperback - August 6, 2014)
$8.50 $6.16
In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process.
Rate and Discover Movies