5.0 out of 5 stars Well done!
Hello, World!

I've just got me a copy of "The Official Ubuntu Book", Sixth Edition. I have a copy of the fifth as well, and I've always loved the series, if you can call it that.

Published on June 23, 2011 by paultag

1.0 out of 5 stars Woefully misleading title
Published on February 29, 2012 by abc123

1.0 out of 5 stars Woefully misleading title, February 29, 2012
This review is from: The Official Ubuntu Book (6th Edition) (Paperback)
This book promises to teach you how to *use* Ubuntu. Instead it includes a history of Ubuntu, a detailed discussion of the corporate structure of Canonical and the Ubuntu community, and a bit of Mark Shuttleworth's story. While I found the stories interesting it had nothing to do with what was promised from the author's nor did it help me to improve my ability to utilize Ubuntu.

The information that does exist on installing and using Ubuntu includes statements of the obvious, circular definitions, and off-topic ramblings. The chapter on installing Ubuntu wastes page after page telling you exactly what you can already see on the screen, and includes screen shots. It tells you what anyone who has used any computer already knows, e.g., what a username is, how to pick a password, how to pick a "fun" computer name.

The explanation of the graphical file manager is nauseating in its statement of the obvious. It provides a list of definitions for the different folders such as (paraphrased) "Documents: this folder contains documents you create; Downloads: this folder contains items you download; Music: this folder contains music files; Pictures: this folder contains picture files."

The "tutorials" on common software are nothing more than a list of steps for each program approximating: 1. open the program; 2. create a new document; 3. draw/write something on the screen; 4. save the file.

The chapter on Ubuntu Server is completely out of place for a book intended for beginners wishing to get started using Ubuntu. The chapter on Kubuntu is mostly redundant as they cover everything Kubuntu shares with Ubuntu and spend very little time on the differences.

Overall, this book is a waste. I learned much more from "Ubuntu for Non-Geeks" by Rickford Grant. I also purchased the voluminous "Ubuntu Unleashed" whose author is also one of the authors for the book under review. I hope it is not as big of a disappointment as "The Official Ubuntu Book 6e".

1.0 out of 5 stars Not enough, December 27, 2011
This review is from: The Official Ubuntu Book (6th Edition) (Paperback)
Any title that says "official..." whatever in the computer field should be both informative and exhaustive in it's scope. Not here. This is newbie 101 stuff. A waste of money for anyone who has spent more than a couple of months behind a keyboard.

3.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps too simplistic - You could get most of this by toying around in ubuntu for a few days, June 18, 2013
This review is from: The Official Ubuntu Book (6th Edition) (Paperback)
I had been using ubuntu for a few months and thought getting this book would help fill in the gaps. I was left disappointed. It's GREAT for someone who is just installing the operating system for the very first time. But, if you've been using it for a few months, look onto other books.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a reference or technical book, October 17, 2011
This review is from: The Official Ubuntu Book (6th Edition) (Paperback)
While this isn't a bad book, it's not really geared towards the technical user who wants to learn the ins and outs of Ubuntu. The subject matter has more to do with the history of Linux and Ubuntu.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well done!, June 23, 2011
Hello, World!

It's got a brandy new foreword by sabdfl, and even a little blurb on page 0 (praise for the Ubuntu book series) by itnet7 (Chris Crisafulli), which I was stoked to see. Literally the first thing you see.

I was shocked to see my own name in this edition (sweet!), let's go LoCoCouncil!

Besides all that, the bulk of the changes have been polish and love, updates for Natty, and brandy new screenshots (by the fantastic Amber Graner) that maintain this series' reputation for usefulness to everyone from the greenhorn Windows convert to the distro-hopping hacker.

Reading through the book gives you a really nice overview of Ubuntu, while at the same time diving right into detail where it requires it. It's a great refresher for someone who's been away for a while (looking at you, ex-Ubuntu Fedora converts!), or someone who's looking to get into Ubuntu for the first time.

The book even features a chapter on GNOME 3 (take THAT, FUD'ies!), and a really unbiased review of how well it functions on Ubuntu.

In short, this book is something that I can honestly recommend to anyone using Ubuntu. It works great as a reference and equally well as a howto guide. I respect the work that's been done, and I can't overstate how knowledgeable the authors are, as well as the reviewers. The book has a sense of Ubuntu community, and it's really on-target. Well done, everyone, well done.

It has my +1, anyway!

The Official Ubuntu Book (6th Edition)
The Official Ubuntu Book (6th Edition) by Corey Burger (Paperback - June 23, 2011)
$39.99 $23.44