Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on July 29, 2014
Very good overview/introduction to the most popular open source operating system. This book includes a live install DVD that will allow you to "test drive" Ubuntu Linux before you install, and you can install as a dual boot system to allow use of both Ubuntu and Windows. This book assumes some familiarity with computer operation. A casual Windows user should have no problems following it to install Ubuntu Linux as a dual boot system. The included apps [office suite, browser, email, etc.] are at least as good as their commercial Windows counterparts, and work in the same way.
on October 12, 2014
This book is in depth but easily understandable, and a great reference regarding Ubuntu.
It is well written, and covers both the practical and reference aspects of this Unix like OS.
Highly recommended.
on January 18, 2015
I am somewhat new to Linux but have dabbled with it in the past. Having a PC technical background, I am able to grasp the concept of Ubuntu and the Linux OS in general so I find this book very useful. That being said, if you are new to computers in general and are looking for a good learning experience, this book may also be to your liking. If you have a chance to preview it first, I would do so.
on January 18, 2015
Excellent book especially for those trying to learn linux in all its non-intuitive wrinkles. I found it well written and a good quick reference, especially for me, as I find myself frequently moving between different operating systems.
on May 20, 2015
Interesting book to learn about this particular Operating System. The disto that I used was the light weight part called Lubuntu. There were only some things that were the same between the two versions. When I started with Lubuntu a year ago this Book did help me to learn. So I will say that it was worth the money I spent. I still use it for reference for some questions when they arise in other distro's.
on March 22, 2016
Fantastic book for novice users of Ubuntu Desktop and its look alike book called, "The Official Ubuntu Server Book - 3rd Edition". I recommend both books. They are a "must" read for new users of Ubuntu.
on June 27, 2016
This book is about Ubuntu desktop. You may eventually need to use a Ubuntu server,

I use Windows and Mac. This book makes me feel Linux is not that difficult, it is a good start to learn Linux.
on March 15, 2015
Well written, excellent resource if you are new to Ubuntu. This book will g et you to the next level.
on September 15, 2014
This book is well written but is intended for Ubuntu newbies. There isn't much in depth information. If you are getting ready to make the move to Ubuntu but have no Linux knowledge, this is the book you need to get you started. If, however, you have moderate Linux background, this book will not be any help. Like I stated, well written but the intended audience should be more clearly identified.
on February 3, 2015
A "must have" whether you are new to Ubuntu, or like me, with it for over a year and still learning.