5.0 out of 5 stars This is a book to be savored along with the booze
And the Old-Fashioned surely won't go out of fashion.

Published 8 months ago by I Do the Speed Limit

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars
Product came ripped along the binding.
Published 26 days ago by Kerry Kelly

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a book to be savored along with the booze, May 13, 2014
This review is from: The Old-Fashioned: The Story of the World's First Classic Cocktail, with Recipes and Lore (Hardcover)
And the Old-Fashioned surely won't go out of fashion.

For the longest time we drank vodka. Year before last, coming up on the Holiday season, we were searching for a mutual, share-able present for each other--just a token for holiday spirit. We settled on a very expensive bottle of bourbon. Later, we sat in front of the fireplace, snuggled up and sipping; patting ourselves on the back for our wonderful, eye-opening "brown liquor" experience.

After a dozen or so sipping "experiences" with whiskeys and bourbons, we decided to branch out a bit. Oh, we won't ever give up trying new sipping bourbons and whiskeys, but we decided to expand into mixed drinks. Variations on the Old-Fashioned and the Manhattan became our pursuit.

How could we not like this book? It is jam-packed with information, tips, recipes, reminiscence. It is a book to be savored, along with the booze.

I was amazed to see how many recipes and variations were included. Plus the variety of liquors: Chartreuse, Cherry Heering, Eldeflower liqueur, Grand Marnier, to name just a few. There was even a discussion on pear bitters. (I have been experimenting with different bitters lately.)

This would make a beautiful gift, too. Maybe a possible Father's Day present?

*I received a temporary download of this book from the publisher. But this is a book to slowly work through, and a book to refer back to, so we will be purchasing our own copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must-Have for Cocktail Fans, May 14, 2014
Does a single cocktail deserve an entire book? It does if it's the Old-Fashioned. Journalist Robert Simonson deftly makes the case for why it's not just the oldest of the classic cocktails, but the most important, the ur-drink that cleared the path for everything to come after.

Even still, in less artful hands, a book on a narrow topic like this could easily become repetitive, obsessive, and boring. But Simonson, who writes for a variety of outlets including the New York Times, tells his story well, placing the evolution of the Old-Fashioned within the context of Gilded Age New York, with stopovers in New Orleans, Chicago, and Havana. The second half of the book counts 40 recipes, from classic versions to modern variants, all told with such verve that you'll want to read each one, even if you never touch a jigger.

And while you should never judge a book by its cover, it's worth noting how beautiful this book is designed. It's a compact, jacketless hardcover with the cover art printed directly onto the boards. The endpaper is retro marbled. Throughout the book are beautiful full-color, often full-page photos by Daniel Krieger. The text is printed in an army of fonts, too many for my tastes, but nothing too distracting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book on a Classic Drink!, September 13, 2014
I've had a few Old-Fashioneds in my time, but I'm not nearly as much of an expert as I'd like to be. Plus, I figured it's high time I learned to make this delicious drink in my own home rather than paying the price at bars!

This book is a delightful exploration of the drink! It's small and compact - perfect for that bar or kitchen counter - and filled with lots of lovely pictures of delicious looking drinks. I really appreciated that the author, Robert Simonson, included a fairly extensive history of the drink before he gets into the recipe section. It was fascinating to learn all about the historical movements and preferences that have shaped the way we enjoy the Old Fashioned today.

When we do finally get to the recipes, they are helpfully divided up into three sections: Old School, Standard Variations, and Modern Classics. Again, I loved the way the book incorporated history and culture into its recipes! The Old School recipes are sources from historical documents, like newspapers from the 1860s, and the Modern Classics are sourced back to the restaurants they originated from! One thing I really love about this book is that it is accessible to all levels of drink makers. It has enough instructions and recipes so that beginners like myself can easily try out some of the easier recipes, but also contains enough nuanced drinks that more practiced bartenders will find something to their liking.

I tried out a couple of the drinks, Col. Jim's Old Fashioned Whiskey Cocktail and the AppleJack Old Fashioned, and really enjoyed them both! I am looking forward to trying more recipes from this marvelous books!

*A complimentary copy of this book was provided to me by Blogging for Books for review*

5.0 out of 5 stars Book Review: The Old-Fashioned, July 29, 2014
The Old-Fashioned is a wonderfully crafted book just as its namesake, for it generates a love for this classic cocktail. The book is not simply an enjoyable and informative read but a visual pleasure which makes reading it that much better. After reading the history of this drink through its ups and downs, I was reminded how the Lord has given the good gift of alcohol to make the heart glad. This book is a demonstration of the art, skill, and joy that can be had in enjoying a drink. I have yet to try any of the recipes provided, however, I am sure I will especially since one of them calls for bacon fat-infused bourbon. I highly recommend this book for anyone who wishes to acquire a love for a truly classic cocktail. Read it and enjoy it and then drink an Old-Fashioned in honor of it.

I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great gift for the whiskey enthusiast!, June 9, 2014
I bought this for my boss who is a big whiskey/ bourbon fan and he absolutely loved it. We flipped through it together and there are some GREAT cocktail recipies. He has already made a few of them. The book is great quality and would make a perfect gift for the whiskey fan in your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars ... so he brings a wealth of knowledge and a wonderful writing style to his favorite drink, July 6, 2014
Simonson’s day job is writing about cocktails for the New York Times so he brings a wealth of knowledge and a wonderful writing style to his favorite drink: The Old-Fashioned. He has done an impressive amount of research into the history of the drink, which he covers in the first 65 pages of the book. The next 93 pages consist of both old recipes and new variations for the Old-Fashioned. If you are a fan of the Old-Fashioned, this is a book you should seriously consider adding to your cocktail library.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is FANTASTIC, I originally bought it for the photography by ..., August 2, 2014
Andy Feliciotti (College Park, MD) - See all my reviews
This book is FANTASTIC, I originally bought it for the photography by Daniel Krieger and recipes but it was extremely fascinating to learn about the history of this iconic cocktail. I recommend this to anyone looking to expand their cocktail knowledge.

5.0 out of 5 stars It was my mother's favorite drink, especially the way my father prepared it, September 15, 2014
I bought this in honor of my parents. It was my mother's favorite drink, especially the way my father prepared it, of course. He was the Perfect Manhattan guy, not too dry and not too sweet. The history of the evolution of the drink was interesting and fun to read. I am planning to experiment a bit this Fall/Winter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Whiskey's best friend!, January 2, 2015
Life changing drink that makes for the ultimate vehicle for whiskey on one's palate. Aside from the drink recipes, the author also gives a history lesson on the world's oldest cocktail. Be prepared to be inspired to transform your home bar into a craft cocktailers envy. Happy mixings.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic for Day-Drinking!, August 13, 2014
wb "wb" (Jockey Hollow/NJ) - See all my reviews
If you have ever had an Old Fashioned with muddled fruit, throw out the fruit and savor the whiskey. This is certainly the book for you as the old Fashioned is coming back into style. Intelligent writing and brilliant photography makes The Old-Fashioned pop!
I'm a HUGE fan!