Automotive Deals Summer Reading Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

on October 15, 2005
This is a book that can be life changing. It's extremely solid, clearly written, for the lay person, and fully documented, and it concerns Dr. Stoll's claims as to the benefits of taking Omega-3 oil supplements. It was recommended to me by a Nurse Practitioner at the Hospital Clinic where I go for regular medical care, and it has caused a revolution in my life. We live in a wilderness of self help and health care books that can confuse us and numb us with their contradictory claims. But be assured this book is a thorough and brilliant record of the results of actual medical research. Dr. Stoll's work with Omega-3 was done at Harvard, and he knows whereof he speaks. He is not the only one recommending that we take Omega-3 supplements to make up for the deficiencies in our "modern" diet. Indeed many many doctors are now talking about this, and word can not spread too fast. Read this book. And take it from this reader: there is indeed a profound" Omega-3 connection, " and it's vital that we avail ourselves of this substance for better health.
on February 18, 2002
Numerous studies have found that babies who are breastfed are smarter and healthier than babies who are bottle-fed. Now, Dr. Stoll suggests that the missing ingredient in infant formula is Omega 3 fatty acids, an essential building block for every baby's growing brain.
The down side for mothers has been that pregnancy and breast-feeding sap the mother's body, leaving her deficient in Omega 3 fatty acids... which may lead to postpartum depression. As a mother-to-be who has a history of minor depression, I was very concerned when I started to slip into anxiety spells late in my seventh month (shortly after my baby began the serious brain-building of late gestation). I began taking supplements as recommended in this book, and my mood was significantly better within a few days. After the baby was born, I had no postpartum depression.
I'm excited and I want to share the good news that my baby has Omega 3s to develop his brain... and I don't have to suffer from depression or anxiety!
on February 23, 2003
As a clinical nutritionist with 24 years experience helping thousands of patients, this book has a special place in my library of nutrition references. Fish oil (EPA, DHA, vitamins A & D) are primary nutrients that are missing in the standard American diet (SAD). Millions of Americans suffer unnecessarily and die prematurely because of omega 3 deficiencies. This book will become a classic in the field of nutrition. Read it. Follow it. Your health will improve substantially.
Patrick Quillin, PhD,RD,CNS
on August 20, 2001
I think this is about as good as a mass market book whose real title ought to be "Your Brain on Fats" can get.
Stoll is one of a growing number of youngish, openminded Ivy League psychiatrists (Harvard, in this case) who are taking the ball of what Linus Pauling dubbed "orthomolecular psychiatry" in 1968 and running with it. They may not always mention Pauling and other orthomolecular pioneers like Abram Hoffer (Stoll doesn't), but they do unapologetically give credence to and even embrace much of the orthomolecular (supplements, diet) and other complementary and alternative approach to treating mental illness. Some of them, like Stoll, are even doing high quality research to put the field on a more scientific basis.
Very much of the theory behind this book can be traced to the books and scientific papers published in the early 80s by the orthomolecular physician/researcher Donald Rudin, M.D. To Stoll's credit, he cites Rudin's work repeatedly, if briefly.
This is a great, fact-packed, what, why, and how-to book.
VINE VOICEon July 4, 2006
What the author says is true! His program works! I am at last free of insomnia and depression. Even anger has become fully under my control.

At age 68 I am not becoming rich and fameous; but I am becoming myself as I was at a much younger age. I have even happily gone back to work.
on December 11, 2003
Stoll needs an editor--much of the material is repeated one or more times and often cut-and-paste is in evidence. There is much tangential information that won't be of interest to everyone in order to pad it into a full-length book. Still, it is a good source of information regarding sources of omega-3 oils and how much to take.
on August 28, 2003
Andrew L. Stoll wrote un very interesting book on depression and diet. The tremendous change in the balance of essential fatty acids during this century and particularly in well developped countries is clearly documented. The war against fat is not fair and produce significant countereffects which lead to depression, obesity, metabolic syndrome and for kids underdevelopment of the brain. These facts are described with details inside this book. Obviously a diet approach is restrictive because physical exercise, meditation, environment and genetics play also a role in depression but one must keep in mind that without a good intake in omega 3 fatty acids it is difficult to maintain brain health.
on January 11, 2007
What I liked best about this book is that it gives a comprehensive review of a tremendous amount of information, and does so in an organized, understandable, straightforward way. There is a good balance of scientific information, personal experience, and sound, solid advice. Dr. Stoll is one of the worlds top experts on this subject, so I trust the information in the book. I liked it so much, that I bought a few copies to give to my patients.
on January 5, 2005
This is one of those books where after you read it your life style will change. We spend billions of dollars on health care at the treatment level when we should be focusing on the cause.

As a physician treating cardiovascular disease the cause is in our diet. Read it if you want to know more about yourself and lead a healthy life.

[...]

This is an excellent book on the omega-3s, which are health providing substances found in fish oil. Either way, this is an excellent book for learning more about omega-3s.
on March 24, 2015
This book helped me immeasurably - instead of a psychiatric condition, it turned out I simply had a nutritional deficiency, go figure!!! After addressing my severe Omega 3 depletion with the help of what I learned in this book, my crazy mood swings went away - I also lost 20 pounds, a nice side effect! Goes to show how food is medicine and it doesn't always help to jump on the pharmaceutical bandwagon without first investigating nutrition as a possible root cause of mood/behavior issues.