5.0 out of 5 stars Classic advice
The subhead reads "A Guide to the Pieces Every Stylish Woman Must Own." This book delivers. Author Garcia makes it clear that this list is HER list, and that every woman will have a somewhat different collection of apparel essentials. But this is a good place to start.

Published on August 29, 2008 by Julie Neal

3.0 out of 5 stars ooh what fun!
Published on August 30, 2008 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic advice, August 29, 2008

The list is in alphabetical order (see below). Each listing has a description and full-color illustration of the item. Many have a sidebar called Fashion 101, which is a short history of the product, often with quotes. Garcia also includes Fun Facts, her own personal favorite brands, and many fashion tips.

Especially fun are "Great Moments" segments. Great Moments in men's white shirts include Audrey Hepburn in Roman Holiday, Elizabeth Taylor in Giant, Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman and Uma Thurman in Pulp Fiction.

The best thing about this book is how it elevates timeless quality over of-the-moment fads. My 14-year-old daughter looked at The One Hundred and then said she wants to save up and buy maybe one piece every other month or so, so she'll have a good collection when she gets out of high school. If a book can pass along that kind of advice to teens, I'm all for it!

Here are the chapters:

A: A-line Dress, Animal Print, Ankle Bootie, Aviators

B: Ballet Flat, Bangles, Belts, Bikini, BlackBerry, Black Opaque Tights, Blazer, Boyfriend Cardigan, Brooch

C: Cable-Knit Sweater, Caftan, Camel Coat, Cape, Cashmere Sweater, Charm Bracelet, Clutch, Cocktail Ring, Converse, Cosmetics Bag, Cowboy Boots, Cuff

D, E, F: Denim Jacket, Diamond Studs, Driving Shoe, Espadrilles, Evening Gown, Exotic Skin Bag, Fishnets, Frye Harness Boot, Fur

G, H, I: Gentlemen's Hat, Gloves, Havaianas, Hobo Bag, Hoop Earrings, Investment Bag, iPod

J, K, L: Jeans, Jewelry Pouches, Khakis, Knee Boots, Leather Pants, Lingerie, Little Black Dress, Little White Dress, L.L. Bean Tote, Luggage

M, N, O: Mad Money, Man's White Shirt, Mary Janes, Minnetonka Moccasin, Missoni Knit, Monogrammed Stationery, Motorcycle Jacket, Nail Polish, Old Concert T-Shirt, One-Piece Swimsuit

P, Q, R: Pajamas, Peacoat, Pearl Necklace, Pencil Skirt, Perfume, Plain White Tee, Polo Shirt, Pucci, Push-Up Bra, Quality Champagne, Red Lipstick, Robe

S: Safari Jacket, Sandals, Sarong, Signet Ring, Silk Scarf, Slippers, Spanx, Statement Necklace, Stilettos, Striped Sailor Shirt, Suit, Sunhat

T, U, V: Trench, Turquoise and Coral Jewelry, Tuxedo Jacket, Umbrella, Underwear, Valid Passport, Vans, Vintage

W, Y, Z: Watch, Wayfarers, Wellington Boot, Wide-Leg Trousers, Wrap Dress, Yoga Gear, Zippered Hoodie

5.0 out of 5 stars best style book so far, September 1, 2008
JLF "JLF" (San Diego, CA) - See all my reviews
This is the best fashion/style book I have read so far (and I have several, including forty year old classics like Dariaux's). While it may be a useful exercise, it is difficult to pare a wardrobe down to 10 looks (Gunn); there's more to style than that, and Garcia knows it. Hence, the 100.... What I like about Nina's second book (I liked the first one, The Little Black Book of Style, too), is that she encourages us to develop our own style, while giving you concrete information about classic styles (e.g., the best opaque black tights--Wolford)or ones that you might be a little leery about trying; e.g., how to discreetly wear fishnet stockings, including nude ones; vintage brooches; statement necklaces. I have read the book twice...that says a lot. I enjoy Garcia's writing style, confidences about her own wardrobe and work as a fashion editor, and admonishments about how not to cheapen a look; e.g., the wrong way to wear animal prints (which I have yet to dare...)or fishnets. Garcia is very good about distinguishing between style and trends, and encourages her readers to work with what they have or to slowly acquire classics, instead of becoming a fashion victim, with the latest disposable, expensive 'it' bag or jeans. After reading about the usefulness of a black cashmere turtleneck, I bought one--love it. After the reminder about the joys of a longer camel hair coat, I picked one up on sale--hadn't had one in years. In November, while traveling in Turkey, I picked up a unique, handmade statement necklace to fill the neckline of a classic black dress or a plain white shirt. I have definitely developed my 'style' from reading this book. I also loved the illustrations by Toledo--fun and elegant!

3.0 out of 5 stars ooh what fun!, August 30, 2008
If you're a Project Runway fan, Nina Garcia needs no introduction. Her new book, the One Hundred is on the 100 things a woman of style needs in her wardrobe. Some of her choices are surprising: faux fur?, others I disagred with: unless your backside is so small that a large butterfly can't land comfortably on it you have no business buying white jeans... but overall the book is fantastic and funny and of course, it has the fabulous illustrations by Rueben Toledo. I've read a lot of fashion books. This one is a keeper. It's going on my shelf right next to my copy of Tim Gunn's book.

2.0 out of 5 stars How to spend a Million on your wardrobe and more...., November 21, 2008
This book had some nice pictures and ideas, but I don't think it is the most helpful. It also rubbed me the wrong way telling me to buy mostly items that cost several hundreds to thousands of dollars to achieve style. We all know that style is not a matter of money, but of arranging pieces from your wardrobe in an interesting manner. I wish that Ms. Garcia would of mentioned some of her favorites some high priced to moderate priced. Ms. Garcia only mentions the high priced items. That is why I recommend the other book I read recently called: How not to look old: fast and effortless ways to look 10 years younger, 10 pounds lighter, 10 times better by Charla Krupp. Since I am in my forties I found this book much more helpful in improving my style and looks, plus the author Ms. Krupp recommends low priced to high priced items.

The other books I think worth checking out if you want to improve your style are: In the dressing room with Brenda: a fun and practical guide to buying smart and looking great by Brenda Kinsel; and Brenda's wardrobe companion: a workbook for getting the look you want, with the clothes you love by Brenda Kinsel.

I enjoy reading books about style, but this one by Ms. Garcia is not the best and I do not recommend it.

2.0 out of 5 stars If you're looking for a serious list of classics..., August 31, 2008
Don't bother with this one. Only about 10 are really classic or stylish. Animal Print? Blackberry? Cowboy boots? Fishnets??? Ipod? Champagne? Passport? I really thought there would be more about fashion and less about Sex and the City.

The pictures are cute and the organization is nice. But all in all, it is a waste of time.

2.0 out of 5 stars A really cute idea, not fully realized, October 3, 2008
I got this book because I really am having to redo my wardrobe from scratch. This book is entertaining to a certain extent, and the drawings are cute but at the very least I would have liked actual pictures of the items the author is talking about. The items are mostly beyond my non-Prada pocketbook, but that's my problem, not the book's. I think using the alphabet to organize the book was limiting in this instance, as some items looked as if they were fitted in because of it. It was fun to read about items that the glitterati love. But it's depressing to think that you have to be rich to be stylish...

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Over-rated, December 20, 2011
This review is from: The One Hundred: A Guide to the Pieces Every Stylish Woman Must Own (Paperback)
This book claims to tell you about the 100 pieces every woman should have in her closet. The author does not distinguish between women on the basis of age or body type. I would re-write this sub-title to say, the 100 must have pieces for women under 25 and 125(lbs) I don't think a woman of 50 or so, for example, needs; a bikini, Frye boots, or a striped sailor shirt.(these are just three of the scores of items I would eliminate) And really who considers a cape, a caftan or a charm bracelet "must have" pieces.
In the sections where she could have provided some useful information, such as 'how to spot a fake' (purse) she provides very limited information. I don't know why this book was so highly rated but believe me there are countless other books about fashion and wardrobe that are better. Pass on this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining Read!, September 14, 2008
Happy15 "4 ever reading" (Tampa, FL United States) - See all my reviews
I saw Nina Garcia on GMA and immediately got on Amazon to purchase this book. I enjoyed reading the book as Nina put it in a nice A-Z format as well as had colorful illustrations. It gave me some good tips on how to be more efficient in managing my style and spending money on essentials rather than filling up my closet with a whole bunch of clothes and feeling cluttered with nothing to wear. I found myself bookmarking several sections and jotting down my "wish list" so to better manage my own wardrobe. Many of the recommendations Nina has in her book are definitely high end (not for those on a limited clothing budget), however she does recommend things like Hanes white t-shirts and such so a reader can learn to splurge on the timeless pieces and budget for items that do not require you to break into your retirement savings. Having said that, if I would make any recommendation for Nina's follow-up book, I would recommend she break her suggestions for each category into a high, middle and low end price points where she can give readers recommended brands or stores within their budgets to find that classic bag, watch, black dress, etc.

2.0 out of 5 stars Adorable illustrations, some ok ideas, May 6, 2011
This review is from: The One Hundred (Kindle Edition)
But basically just a list of the authors favorite pieces, done in short essays, with no real advice on how to wear the things, such as, Nina goes on about scarves, and how French women wear them in so many ways, but hardly any advice on how we can wear or tie the scarves. She does the same with jeans, basically describing the different basic types but no advice on what to look for or what style works well with what type. The section on ipod as a fashion statement was silly filler and had I read the table of contents before buying, and had seen that she included fur, real fur, as one of her one hundred, I would never have paid a dime for this. She even gushes over mink slippers.
This is where, to me, fashion crosses over into self centered idiotic narcissism with out any consideration for the cruelty in this industry. I will not buy any more of her books, she is a pretty masterful marketer... I will however be on the lookout for the illustrator. Very charming drawings, which is why I rated 2 stars... for the artists work!
I got more ideas from the drawings than from the silly book.
Waste of money. Do not buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST FASHION BOOK!!!!, August 28, 2008
Nina's second book is even better than the first! She has the best top 100 pieces a girl should have. She is so classy and gives great idea to make your wardrobe the best it can be! BUY THIS BOOK! So much better than other books about style out there!

The One Hundred: A Guide to the Pieces Every Stylish Woman Must Own
The One Hundred: A Guide to the Pieces Every Stylish Woman Must Own by Nina Garcia (Paperback - August 10, 2010)
$15.99 $11.26