5.0 out of 5 stars Another Winner From Scotch
I am always happy when I pick up a book and it turns out to be a winner. Having read Time of My Life previously and absolutely loving it, I was very excited to read this book.

Published on September 19, 2010 by Bellingham Bookworm

3.0 out of 5 stars In The One That I Want
Published on June 6, 2010 by Naida M.

3.0 out of 5 stars In The One That I Want, June 6, 2010
This review is from: The One That I Want: A Novel (Hardcover)
In The One That I Want, Tilly Farmer is a married 32 year old guidance counselor, working for the same high school she graduated from. She is married to Tyler, her high school sweetheart, and the two are now trying to have a baby. They both live in the town they grew up in. One afternoon Tilly goes to the town carnival and decides to see the fortune teller, who happens to be one of her old classmates. The fortune teller gives Tilly the 'gift of clarity' and sends her on her way.

Tilly's life is far from perfect. Her mother died to cancer when she was 16, leaving her 2 sisters, her father and herself heartbroken. Tilly managed to cope, but her father succumbed to alcoholism and her younger sister still resents him for it. Now that Tilly has seen the fortune teller, she suddenly has strange episodes where she has visions of the future. When she 'sees' her father getting into his car drunk, then receives the phone call from the police station telling her he is being held for DWI, she begins to wonder how powerful this 'gift of clarity' really is.

Before she knows it, Tilly begins to have other visions of the future, including one where she sees her husband packing his belongings and leaving town. Tilly begins to realize that things aren't what she thought they once were.

I both liked and disliked The One That I Want. The storyline was interesting and I enjoyed the magical realism aspect of it, but for some reason I just could not connect with Tilly's character. She wasn't annoying or anything, I just didn't feel any type of connection to her.
I hate to sound nitpicky, but one thing that bothered me was the language in the story, at times it felt uncalled for and distracting. Don't get me wrong, I'm the first one to drop the 'F' bomb in conversation, but in this story it just distracted me a bit. It felt like it was overdone in some of the conversations. I know Tilly was mad with the situation, but I'd rather have seen her less on the defense.

Like I said, the storyline was interesting. I did enjoy the friendship Tilly has with her best friend Susanna. I liked how the two support each other through thick and thin. There's a scene where Tilly and a few of the girls get together for Susanna's birthday. They have dinner and drink wine and just vent, that felt realistic and I always enjoy female friendships in stories.
There is a plot twist and the end that I thought was good also. All in all, this was an okay read for me. I do recommend it, others might love it. Though I didn't particularly love this book, I would definitely read Allison Winn Scotch again.

2.0 out of 5 stars REALLY?? Did We All Read The Same Book?, July 11, 2010
This review is from: The One That I Want: A Novel (Hardcover)
Based on all the glowing reviews of this book (which I'm now wondering if a number of them aren't shills by friends of the author), I was expecting to love this book. I absolutely did NOT. I didn't hate it, but I was tempted to quit about half-way through. I stuck with it though...I kept telling myself 'All those people raved about it, maybe it gets better'. Nope.

Right off the bat, I didn't like Tilly. She's not offensive, or rude in any way, but her nickname 'Silly Tilly' is definitely the best way to describe her. I could not relate AT ALL to someone so desperate to relieve her high-school days, that she would become the school guidance counselor just to be able to be there everyday. Her pathetic excitement at planning the prom year after year...she's 32!! Get over it! No WONDER her husband had one foot out the door!

I did like the flashes of her seeing the future. I thought it was the only thing that made the book somewhat interesting and worth finishing. The whole dynamic between Tilly and her husband Tyler began to wear on me though...as did her relationship with her sister Darcy. I could absolutely understand Tyler wanting to leave little Westlake, to see what else life had to offer him. It infuriated me that Tilly, while not wanting to leave the only place she's ever lived (which I can understand), was so close minded that she couldn't grasp how someone else would want to. She wanted everything to stay just it is was...always. And even though her outlook on life changes through the novel, I never really got over my initial dislike for her.

The 'surprise' at the end, the big secret her father's been keeping for years, felt totally out of place. It's almost like it was thrown in as an after thought just to give the story a bit of shock value. Well, it wasn't shocking, it was sad and unnecessary. Overall, I do NOT recommend this book. It's certainly not the worst book I've ever read, but I definitely wouldn't categorize this as a 'Must Read'. I have Ms. Scotch's two other novels on my wishlist, but I think I'm gonna hold off for awhile before attempting another of her books. I'm not ready to write her off completely, but I won't be expecting so much next time around.

3.0 out of 5 stars Left Me Wanting a Faster Read, July 13, 2010
This review is from: The One That I Want: A Novel (Hardcover)
Tilly Farmer and I have a lot in common. We are both 32. We both married our high school sweethearts. And we both work in high schools in the towns where we grew up. You would think that all this similarity would breed familiarity, but I found Tilly very difficult to take until the very end of the book. Ironically, I think it was all these similarities that made it harder for me to like her, made me focus on our differences. Tilly, in the beginning, loves prom (I avoid the sponsor for weeks before so I don't have to chaperone), always smiles to fix a problem (anyone who knows me will tell you that I prefer yelling), and thinks her boy-man husband is adorable when he falls asleep watching another baseball game (um...I don't even know how to answer this!).

So as the novel begins, Tilly is "blind" in more ways than one. The fact that it took her two hundred pages to recognize that her husband was a poor spouse was aggravating. The way that she makes excuses for her alcoholic father was not helpful. And the way Tilly spent so much of the book telling me everything was perfect made me want to scream. She ignored the issues in her life for too long in the novel for me to truly love it. And it was this slow beginning that made her ultimate discovery-which came very quickly in the end-lose its punch.

The shining spots of this work came in the end. When Tilly finally finds clarity, she is inspirational. She relaxes and lets the other people in her life handle their own problems. She learns to let go, and that her students, her siblings, and her spouse are able to think without her constant guidance and cliched advice. Tilly almost won me back in these last wonderful fifty pages. She further reminded me of our similarities, when she realizes what she has given up for her family. "I abandoned it: for Darcy, for my family, for my father. I lost myself for them, which we all have to do every once in a while but probably shouldn't do forever." What mother, wife, teacher hasn't sacrificed a lot for their family only to occasionally want it back?

Scotch shows she is a good writer in lines like the ones above, but it was too little, too late to win me back entirely. This is the first time that I have ever read her work, and I would like to read Time of My Life-her first novel. Allison's blog, Ask Allison, is always witty and insightful, and although I never comment I always wish I would. The One that I Want is an interesting idea, but I hope that Scotch's other works cuts to the chase a little faster, and that maybe the characters don't have lives so close to mine!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Winner From Scotch, September 19, 2010
This review is from: The One That I Want: A Novel (Hardcover)

The main character, Tilly, wasn't someone I would hang out with in real life. She is one of those people who loved high school so much she became a guidance counselor at her old high school so she could continue to live in that high school bubble. She had taken on the role of caretaker after her mother passed away and her entire identity is wrapped up in being the one to help everyone. She is married to her high school boyfriend, Tyler, and is so happy inside her bubble she doesn't realize that they are growing apart.

One day at a local fair she runs into her old childhood friend, Ashley, who gives her the "gift of clarity." What this means for Tilly is seeing her life thru new eyes and not necessarily liking what she sees.

I don't want to give away the whole story and ending. I will just say that I am recommending this book to all of my girlfriends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect summer read!, July 6, 2010
This review is from: The One That I Want: A Novel (Hardcover)
The One That I Want by Allison Winn Scotch asks the question: what would you do if you could see the future?

Tilly Farmer thinks that she has it all: great family, great friends and a wonderful husband, with whom she's trying to have a baby. But when a visit to an old friend, now a psychic, leaves Tilly with the ability to see into the future, she begins to see things that she didn't exactly expect. Perhaps her life isn't so perfect after all?

The One That I Want is a story about the choices we make, and the ones we don't necessarily want to make. It's about relationships and seeing things for what they really are.

Winn Scotch's latest is funny, heartfelt, and a total page turner. All you could possibly want in a perfect summer read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Given a gift she didn't want, July 31, 2010
Vikkil (Bellevue, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The One That I Want: A Novel (Hardcover)
This book was exceptionally well written. It tells the story of a woman who thinks she has it all but once given the gift of clarity, sees what her life truly is. While not miserable, things are certainly not what she thought they were and through this realization, she is able to change her world.

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved It!, July 23, 2010
Colleen T. (Land O Lakes, FL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The One That I Want: A Novel (Hardcover)

Ashley Simmons, an old friend from Tilly's past who has now become a psychic, has given Tilly the gift of clarity. Tilly start...more Tilly Farmer is a total optimist and is completely happy in her life. She is living in the same small town she grew up in, married to her high school sweatheart and is the solid rock all of her friends and family lean on. She and her husband are even trying for a baby to round out their perfect life. Then a chance meeting with an old friend changes everything.

Ashley Simmons, an old friend from Tilly's past who has now become a psychic, has given Tilly the gift of clarity. Tilly starts passing out when she stares at old pictures and somehow is able to see into the future. What she sees, however, changes everything she has come to believe as solid and true and she is powerless to change it. She is also losing control of her own feelings and is being forced to feel true anger for the first time in her life. But will these premonitions help her to realize that maybe, just maybe, things have never been what she believed them to be anyway? And maybe, just maybe, things are better that way?

I just loved this book! Who hasn't, on some level, felt a little like Tilly Farmer? After her mother dies when she is seventeen she tries so hard to protect her two younger sisters and take all the weight of what has happened on her shoulders so they don't have to. When her father becomes an out-of-control alcoholic she steps in to support him and help him get on the right track. All this time she is trying to find the best in her circumstances and to deflect any unpleasantness away from her life. I can definitely relate to focusing on the positive and trying to ignore the less pleasant aspects of life just so you can get through the day. What becomes detremental, however, is when you begin to believe that the positive side is the only one out there.

Tilly has focused her attention on picking up the pieces and moving on from her mother's death so quickly that she has deluded herself into believing that everything is okay and what she sees on the surface is the only truth out there. When you do this you fail to see what those people around you are really going through and feeling, and that can be quite a shock when you are forced to face the truth. You can also fail to see what you really want in life if you only focus on what is easiest and most pleasant.

This book in unlike anything I have read before. Allison Winn Scotch did a wonderful job of melding the mystical and ordinary to give the reader a new approach to an old theme: open up your eyes and you just might find out what you really want from life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lesson in life: Don't visit a psychic!, September 4, 2010
S. Jones (Baltimore, MD USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The One That I Want: A Novel (Hardcover)
This story is about marital problems, sibling issues, betrayal, and at the top of the list, finding out who we truly are. The reader will question their choices in life.

The story revolves around a small town cheerleader, 32 year old Tilly Farmer and baseball star, her high school sweetheart husband and the end of their 14 years together. Tilly thought that she had it all, a great family, great friends and a wonderful husband, with whom she was trying to have a baby. But when a visit with an old friend, now a psychic, left Tilly with the ability to see into the future, she begins to see things that she didn't exactly expect. Lesson in life: Don't visit a psychic!!

Other good ones:

EXPLOSION IN PARIS

TIME OF MY LIFE

THE BOY WHO CAME BACK FROM HEAVEN

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth a read, July 13, 2010
This review is from: The One That I Want: A Novel (Hardcover)
I almost put this book down 10 pages in, but something about it...I'm still not sure what...kept me reading. The characters don't have as much depth as I generally like, nor does the story (do we really need another plot hinging on "woman's life upended by deep trauma from the past and dark family secret only she didn't know about?"). But at the same time, the main character makes some startling personal discoveries that I didn't dream she'd be capable of in the beginning of the book. It also offers some insight in to the danger of getting too comfortable with your life at the expense of the personal exploration, growth and change that are integral to our humanity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, could not put it down!, July 28, 2010
This review is from: The One That I Want: A Novel (Hardcover)
I won this book through Read it forward. Prior to that, I was unfamilar with Allison Winn Scotch. Now, I am a HUGE fan! I will now read all of her books, because 'The one that I want' was so great. I started it on Saturday morning & finished it by Sunday evening... needless to say, I got little else done that weekend! The story was easy to follow and struck a cord with me as I was going through a similar situation in my own life. Although roles were reversed, it helped me take a look at a different perspective. I am a big fan of Janet Evanovich & Jodi Picoult and now Allison Winn Scotch!

The One That I Want: A Novel
The One That I Want: A Novel by Allison Winn Scotch (Hardcover - June 1, 2010)
$24.00 $20.69
Temporarily out of stock. Order now and we'll deliver when available.