Published on August 26, 2009 by Anonymous

3.0 out of 5 stars Simplified Daily Bible Reading
Published on December 11, 2007 by TonyVee

4.0 out of 5 stars For non-Christians or anybody who hasn't read it and wants to read the whole Bible to decide once and for all, August 26, 2009
Anonymous (Virginia USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The One Year Bible NLT (One Year Bible: New Living Translation-2) (Paperback)
It seems that most of the other reviews for this Bible were written by people who are already Christians and who have many years of experience reading the Bible, so I thought I would write one from my perspective also. I am not a Christian (at this point anyway) and I recently ordered this Bible because I decided it was time I actually made an effort to read it to decide for myself once and for all.

I have spent much of my life wondering whether any of Christianity's teachings were true or just wishful thinking, and perhaps also a good sales job perpetuated by ancient people with an agenda. But it's quite easy to have an uneducated opinion about something you vaguely know about but haven't actually read! So, I decided to actually start putting forth an effort to read the actual Bible, the whole thing, from beginning to end. I hoped that this exercise would put the issue to rest in my life and I would be able to decide once and for all what I thought about Christianity.

I ordered this Bible because the concept intrigued me - read the whole Bible in one year! A good friend of mine told me about the NLT translation and how great it was, so I ordered that version. I also ordered a "regular" NLT Study Bible that has a lot more notes and explanations about everything - introductions to the different parts and things like that.

I received this One Year Bible in August, and when I opened it up, I randomly flipped through and saw that there was a scheduled reading for each day. So I turned to the page for that date in August and started reading. I read the entry for that day. Then I skipped a few days, and finally got around to getting caught up on my reading. I had forgotten what that first day's reading was about, so I reviewed it a little, and then read the several days' worth of passages to get caught up to the present day. That's when I realized that the story continued from day to day!

This may sound silly to someone who knows the Bible well, but maybe it will make sense to someone like me who doesn't. I had thought that the people who developed this particular Bible reading method maybe had chopped the Bible up into various "pieces" which took up the right amount of time to read, but I hadn't realized that if you start reading this Bible on January 1 of a given year, you will start everything at the natural beginning. And if you happen to start reading it in August, you will be picking the book up in the very middle and it won't make much sense. It will be like picking up any other book and starting to read it in the middle.

Like others have said in their reviews, each day's scheduled reading includes some passages from the Old Testament, some from the New Testament, and then a few Psalms and Proverbs too. If you look at the January 1st entry, you'll see that the Old Testament reading starts with Genesis 1:1 (the beginning of the Old Testament), and the New Testament reading starts with Matthew 1:1 (the beginning of the New Testament). So if you start on January 1st, you'll start reading the beginning of the Old and the beginning of the New simultaneously, a little each day.

Well, by getting the book in August and starting to read the August entries, I was plopped down in the middle of the book of Job for the Old Testament and Corinthians for the New. So when I started reading, it all seemed very random in nature. I began to wonder if a bunch of random "pieces" of the Bible put together in some unknown sequence would have enough of an overall thread to teach me anything. But when I read several days' worth at one sitting, it dawned on me that yesterday's Job readings continued with today's Job readings and the same with Corinthians. I had an aha moment!

So I turned to the January 1st entry and saw that it began with Genesis as you might expect. Like I said, this may sound silly to someone who knows the Bible well (they might have immediately thought "what am I doing deep in the book of Job on the first day of reading?"), but I didn't know any better so I just kept reading.

So I have a suggestion for people like me who want to read the Bible for the first time ever and who don't happen to get it in their eager little hands until well after January 1 of a given year. The day you start reading it, just start at the beginning of the book as though it were January 1. That way, your readings will be in their proper sequence. I suppose the developers of this book could have titled the daily scheduled readings "Day 1" and "Day 2", etc., instead of "January 1" and "January 2" so people could start reading on any day of the year, but since they didn't do that, I think it would be helpful to just pretend they are titled that way and start reading on January 1 regardless of what date you actually start reading it. Another idea is to get this or give it as a Christmas present! That would make starting on January 1 very easy.

I also ordered a regular NLT Study Bible because I figured I should have one of those too. The One Year Bible is not a Study Bible, so there is a minimal amount of footnotes and no study explanations or background information (at least as far as I can see so far). It is strictly a Bible meant for daily reading (no disappointment there - it doesn't claim to be a Study Bible). If someone really wants to read the Bible for the first time, I would suggest they also get a Study Bible version for more in-depth understanding of what they are reading about.

Having said all that, I really like this Bible very much. I would have given it 5 stars but for some reason, the Amazon screen won't let me give more than 4 stars. But really, I have no complaint with it at all. I love the NLT translation. I vaguely remember the King James version from my youth with all the thee's and thou's and this is a HUGE improvement. It makes the Bible actually readable and comprehensible, and at the same time, it is my understanding that there is a ton of scholarly research behind it. So it's easy to read but not at the expense of being an accurate translation. I realize there are all sorts of other readable translations that were made prior to the NLT, but since I'm reading the Bible now for the first time, I decided to use this very recent translation that also had a good reputation for seriousness and accuracy.

And I really like the read-it-in-one-year concept with scheduled daily passages. Just start reading as though today is January 1, and things will make more sense. And if you can, it will be helpful to also refer to a Study Bible to occasionally get more background and explanation. But I really think having this One Year Bible will encourage me to keep up with it, since the passages aren't very long each day, and you think "surely I can read this for 10 or 15 minutes every day". So whoever thought of the concept had a really great idea, it seems to me. Definitely worth the money so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars The One Year Bible, November 17, 2005
A. Davis (Dallas, Texas) - See all my reviews
I've attempted to read the Bible through many times and have never been able to keep up with it. However, a friend recommended to me this version, which separates the daily readings into OT, NT, Psalms, and Proverbs, and it is AWESOME! It's so easy to stick with, and I am over HALF WAY through the Bible! I highly recommend this Bible for your spiritual growth and journey through the Word.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great way to read through the Bible, January 18, 2007
Armand Jalbert (Kitakyushu, Japan) - See all my reviews
The One Year Bible is the best way of reading through the Bible in a year that I have found. It is set up to read a passage daily from the Old Testament, the New Testament, the Psalms, and Proverbs all starting at the beginning of each Testament and book. You don't get bogged down in some parts of the laws and prophets which can be boring or depressing. There is refreshment from reading a variety of passages, and that helps the reader to continue reading throughout the year. The New Living Translation is easy to read which makes the devotional reading of the Bible more enjoyable for people of all ages.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best Kindle Bibles available, July 7, 2008
If you're looking for a Bible for the Kindle for regular structured reading, this one is a winner.

The translation is very readable. It is a devotional translation, not a "Study Bible" or scholarly translation.

For a Kindle book, the format is excellent. It is laid out with daily readings by date. Each day has an Old Testament and New Testament selection, followed by a Psalm and a Proverb or two.

The selections provide a sequential Genesis through Revelation trip through the Bible in one year plus the books of Psalms & Proverbs in digestible hunks. (One of my problems with most "Bible in a Year" schemes is that they insist on reading Proverbs in huge unrelieved daily hunks, guaranteed to give you mental and spiritual indigestion).

The readings are footnoted in Kindle hyperlinks for alternate readings and explanations of where the reader friendly translation substitutes a modern equivalent for such things as ancient Hebrew dates and the like.

I only wish that where the New Testament quotes the Old Testament the hyperlink gave not only the citation in the footnote (which it does), but also hyperlinked the actual OT passage cited. (The New International Version Kindle edition does both, which is very handy.)

I only wish there were a Catholic edition of this One Year Bible, with the pseudographical/apochryphal books of the Catholic canon included. Alas, so far the only Catholic Bible of any type available for the Kindle is the dated (and terribly formated) Rheims/Douay.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Tool to Read Through The Bible, July 18, 2006
It looks like an impossible task--to read the Bible from cover to cover. THE ONE YEAR BIBLE divides the impossible into the possible. Each day includes a reading from the Old Testament, a reading from the New Testament, something from the Psalms and a portion of Proverbs.

Anyone can read the sections in a short amount of time. With consistency, you CAN read the entire Bible from Genesis to Revelation. It will change your life. I know because I've used this book numerous times over the years. I highly recommend it. You can begin any time of the year--not just in January.

3.0 out of 5 stars Simplified Daily Bible Reading, December 11, 2007
I have found The One Year Bible truly simplifies the process of covering my daily readings from all aspects of the Bible (OT, NT Psalms, etc)in a concise manner. I do, however, find a need to refer to my standard bible to clarify some of the ways the wording in this bible is phrased. This bible does not provide the very helpful footnote explanations that I find a need to refer to in an effort of enhancing my understanding of what is being said and the historical events occurring during the time the various books are written.

5.0 out of 5 stars a great way to get into the Word!, February 18, 2006
There has been a lot of controversy over how to best read through the Bible. I have for many years simply followed through the biblical order from Gen to Rev and that has been fine. Yes there are the long boring parts (especially geneaologies!) but you just press through, right?

Well, as we began our new pastorate I was praying for some insight as to how to encourage our people to read their Bibles regularly. I know the benefit of regular spiritual nourishment through the Word of God, but many people struggle to maintain a healthy diet in this way... Then I happened upon Tyndale's promo. We ordered several Bibles and began sharing and encouraging our people to use this as our church's plan for the year. We are basing our Wednesday night study/discussion on the readings of the week previous... everyone is excited and we have over half of our church reading through together, as families in many cases. We are getting many good reports about how easy it is in this format and translation. What a blessing to lead a church that is reading the bible together! It comes up in conversation, in our weekly study, in our Sunday AM messages and even announcements! I would recommend this layout and this plan to anyone who wants to get into the Word... it is really helping our church to literally be "on the same page" as we seek God together!

3.0 out of 5 stars Kindle edition, December 10, 2009
Jamie Reavis (WINSTON SALEM, NC, US) - See all my reviews
I like this format of chronological reading. It helps place some the biblical history timeline. Good format for daily reading.

My only complaint is the formating that is lacking in the Kindle Edition. Needs chapter marks and better refeerence/links throughout the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars very helpful, August 25, 2005
I use this book in order to make it easy for myself to read the bible in a systematic way from cover to cover. I would suggest using it side by side with a standard bible of your choice. Overall I say that this is a very helpful and well conceived work. The authors seem very careful in providing an accurate interpretation in modern language.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful motivator!, March 16, 2006
I purchased 7 copies of this Bible for my Sunday School 5th and 6th grade class. They had been trying to read the Bible every day, but rarely succeeded. However, since they've had the One Year Bible, my students are succeeding more and more. Additionally, my mom, my daughter, and I also have one. It's great to be on, literally, the same page with them each day, even though geographically we're miles apart. It's cool to be able to call and discuss things, or email, and they instantly know what I'm referencing since they just read it themselves. This is great for group reading and for accountability.

The One Year Bible NLT (One Year Bible: New Living Translation-2)
$18.99 $13.50